Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Nora Taylor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Still waiting to hear back from my 12/11 interview!
    What can/should we include in a post-II update? I graduated early in December with a 4.0 and recently acquired a medical scribing position as well as a tutoring position. Can I mention those?
    And by when should we email it if the next round of offers is mid-Feb?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. beeboops

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I would wait until you’ve put in some hours in the scribing and tutoring positions before you send an update so you have something of substance to update them on. Given that, maybe shoot for an update in early Feb?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Nora Taylor likes this.
  3. Nora Taylor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you!!!

4. patriots_66x

Pre-Medical
    Hey Quick Question:
    What were your interview questions on the day?

I have my interview coming up and wanted to know more about how the day went and how I can best prepare! Thanks!

5. mariposas905

Pre-Medical
    Does this mean that all applicants from January are considered as a single pool - meaning an earlier jan interview date has no advantage over a later jan interview date since both dates hear back feb 18th?

6. NeuroticButCute

Pre-Medical
    It should be, the only caveat being that if there is another snow storm sometime in Jan then the later ones may not get reviewed in time. But barring any weather setbacks, I think everyone from mid-December to early February should be equal in the pool

7. patriots_66x

Pre-Medical
    Any advice for someone going to interview this month?

8. NeuroticButCute

Pre-Medical
    Watch a couple MMI videos on Youtube, make sure you arrive at MMEC early, and take a few deep breaths to gather your thoughts before each room. It's a super laid back interview! The interviewers are all very easy to talk to, just make sure you actually answer the questions asked and that you have a point when you answer instead of just rambling and you'll be great.

Undercovernerd and rambr like this.
  9. rambr

a
    agreed to everything said here! be friendly in the morning with the other interviewees, it just makes it so much more fun of an experience. ask a lot of good questions on the tour and appear interested in the school. Remember it's okay to not take the whole time on a question, and that it's also okay to start talking about something totally different than the original question (after you do make your point, of course!) other than that, the questions you're gonna get are not your typical MMI practice ones. the videos were helpful, but VCU will give you fun, interesting scenarios that I almost guarantee will be hard to encounter beforehand, but are very applicable to real life if that makes sense? so get a good night of sleep, reflect on some of your past experiences, and go in confidently with a big smile!

Nora Taylor and NeuroticButCute like this.
  10. catsandbio

Pre-Medical
    Honestly, just be yourself. It'd be unethical to other applicants (previous and later) to divulge the actual questions. Just read up on how to answer MMI format and you'll be fine. The interview was extremely relaxed. Practice talking, and having a conversation. Practice restating the prompt and the main conflict, stating your role, your responsibilities, and the way you'd go about implementing a solution. Make sure to also consider an alternate perspective but then state why you feel yours is the correct path to take. Good luck!

Undercovernerd and Nora Taylor like this.
  11. owlsandturtles

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I just cancelled my II on 1/31. Hopefully that opens another spot up, good luck to everyone!!

12. kevy2heavy

Has anyone submitted an "in-state tuition eligibility" survey and heard anything back? I have submitted this Dec. 1st and have yet to see any change to my portal or an email. I am also suspicious of the survey given the notice it states upon submission that basically you will here nothing if it was submitted properly and to wait to see a change to the portal. Does anyone have any insight?

13. rambr

same boat actually, i also thought it was strange that the form said they'd only contact if it didn't work out, although I submitted later than you, maybe like two weeks ago. I'm thinking of just waiting it out, possibly backlogged because of the holidays, but if I don't see a change in the next few weeks probably give admissions or financial aid a call?

14. kevy2heavy

I think I will call tomorrow AM given its been 3 weeks before holidays started. Ill update if anything significant...

NeuroticButCute and rambr like this.
  15. rambr

good plan! it looks like on the front of my applicant portal it says: "All inquiries regarding your residency may be directed to our Residency Officer" with her email posted there if you want to try that too.

kevy2heavy likes this.
  16. Throwaway21234567

For the 1st MMI question that is asked to everybody, will the interviewer for those 14 minutes know anything about our app (e.g. are they blind to it, or did they read our primary and secondary)?

17. maggracers

Blind to it.

Throwaway21234567 likes this.
  18. Undercovernerd

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    It's definitely February 1st (as of 11/13 interview), and I believe they changed to March 1st as well.

I'mTheDoctor and csg08 like this.
  19. blnk

agreed, interviewed 12/13

I'mTheDoctor likes this.
  20. blnk

@Dean Mission Hello Dean, when will the admission meet again?

21. Dean Mission

Monday

22. NeuroticButCute

Pre-Medical
    Anyone know how long it should be for December acceptees to get our V# and such? The portal says 7-14 days, but I haven't gotten them yet, wonder if anyone else has

23. maggracers

October acceptance here, it took a really long time for it to show up on my portal (definitely more than 2 weeks).

NeuroticButCute likes this.
  24. thelonelyant

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I interviewed 11/29. I don't remember anyone saying anything about it changing to Feb 1 or Mar 1.

Nora Taylor likes this.
  25. blnk

there was a letter in the folder that interviewees receive on the day of their interview...on mine it says the next offering days are 2/1 and 3/1

26. thelonelyant

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Ah I see it. Oddly mine says Oct 16, Dec 16, Feb 1, and Mar 16. Figured it was a typo compared with the portal. Oh well.

27. blnk

someone clear this confusion for us T.T

28. Nora Taylor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Mine says Feb. 1st!

Also, how long should our update in the email be? A paragraph is okay?

29. aqifjak

Have any of you updated the school after interviewing? I am not sure if updates are welcome

30. Kiwi95

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Are there any more IIs being sent out? Or are they pretty much done?

31. hopefulDOcter4321

@Dean Mission Would you be able to tell us if the committee was able to review all of the applications today that were delayed due to the snow day in December? My portal still shows the "Your interview is now complete!" status. Thanks!

32. NeuroticButCute

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know if VCU SOM has a school medical insurance policy? The website has guidelines for what the kind of coverage they want students to have, but I'm not seeing anything expressly saying they have an insurance policy available.

33. rasputinc

Pre-Medical
    Just from what I have heard from friends attending VCU SOM I do not believe that they offer a medical insurance policy

34. Warrenc

7+ Year Member

II today. Very excited to visit this school later this month!

MedHead99, Undercovernerd and Msimas like this.
  35. pm_me_fortnite_highlights

Pre-Medical
    Congrats! Mind sharing your stats, IS/OOS?

36. goodthingshappen

Congrats! When were you complete?

37. Ferriswheel804

Hi IS applicant here... I'm just realizing I don't think I ever got confirmation about being granted IS consideration. Was I supposed to receive something or see something on my portal?

38. blnk

the wait is killing me :)

catsandbio and Nora Taylor like this.
  39. Throwaway21234567

Mine also said Feb. 1st. It isn't a typo.

40. Talldoctor96

Hey I have a question for you all. Is being on Hold for possible acceptance almost a guarantee to be on the wait list at minimum? It is hard for me to grasp how many people are being rejected post II (4 or 5 interview score. Basically my question is how many people are rejected straight up post II? is almost everyone given the on hold for possible acceptance? I know we can't know for sure but curious on others thoughts.

aqifjak and csg08 like this.
  41. thelonelyant

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just anecdotally, it sounds like very few people get rejected here post II unless you completely bomb the interview or just come across as weird. It seems like everyone gets put hold on for possible acceptance. But I am not sure how many people get passed over. I am curious if you get passed over the first time how likely you will ever be accepted at all or just thrown into the wait list pile.

42. maggracers

I feel as though it would be tougher to get in if you were passed over the first time, because you'll be competing against a larger pool of applicants as the cycle goes on.

43. thelonelyant

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Agreed

44. Nora Taylor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I thought it was said that you are compared to a specific cohort of people based on when you interviewed so whether you’re selected today or in two weeks, there is no difference?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

45. blnk

anyone interviewed in December got a portal update? I just did...am place on hold

#1495 blnk, Jan 11, 2019 at 3:27 PM
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 1:27 PM
  46. LeGOATJames23

So is the next decision date February 1st or 16th? My portal still says it's the 16th but people on here said their portal was saying the 1st??

47. Warrenc

7+ Year Member

I was complete the first two weeks of October or so- I don’t recall exactly.

48. Warrenc

7+ Year Member

I’m OOS with about average stats.

49. redmon17

Also curious about this, I assume I was one of the December apps that they did not get to review, but today received an update saying I am placed on hold...but would they have even sent an acceptance since it is not one of the official accept dates? No idea

50. LeGOATJames23

Nah they only send offers on the 4 dates