2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone!
I am very interested in FM but didn't choose to apply to the fmSTAT because I'm not 100% certain I want to commit to FM. But today I received an email from the co-director of fmSTAT saying she wants to talk with me about my application?? I haven't had the chance to speak with her but was wondering if anyone has received a similar call/email?? Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when VCU verifies IS residency?
For EVMS I had to send several documents already.

Just received an interview invitation! The first slot is available for 9/13. IS by the way. Had the 'application will be reviewed' status until now. Pretty excited since this is my first interview this cycle. Any tips on MMI?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an interview invitation! The first slot is available for 9/13. IS by the way. Had the 'application will be reviewed' status until now. Pretty excited since this is my first interview this cycle. Any tips on MMI?

Congrats! When were you complete?

Hello everyone!
I am very interested in FM but didn't choose to apply to the fmSTAT because I'm not 100% certain I want to commit to FM. But today I received an email from the co-director of fmSTAT saying she wants to talk with me about my application?? I haven't had the chance to speak with her but was wondering if anyone has received a similar call/email?? Thanks guys!

I talked to her, she is super nice even though I didn't want to commit to fmstat. She let me know other options to be involved with family med at vcu. I got an II the day after we spoke.

Reactions: 1 user
@Dean Mission Is MCV using the "very interested" status this year, or just the "your file review is now complete..." status?

Anyone know if they review applications in order? My review hasnt been done yet and submitted secondary in early july

Members don't see this ad :)
@Dean Mission Is MCV using the "very interested" status this year, or just the "your file review is now complete..." status?

This year, messages received after file reviews are complete do not reflect interest level by the committee.

Reactions: 1 users
My interview was bumped up to today, just got home. It was really not bad at all, I'm very glad this was my first one because VCU's adcoms and interviewers definitely made me feel at ease! Good luck to everyone, go Rams!

Reactions: 5 users
My interview was bumped up to today, just got home. It was really not bad at all, I'm very glad this was my first one because VCU's adcoms and interviewers definitely made me feel at ease! Good luck to everyone, go Rams!
Hope you hear some good news from them!

Is anyone applying to VCU's MD/PhD and happen to have their prompts for that? Also, I skimmed through the first bit of the thread and are they really not giving Canadians secondaries?

Fingers crossed for all of you guys :)
Canadian here! I received a secondary from here on July 9th! File is now under review.

Is anyone applying to VCU's MD/PhD and happen to have their prompts for that? Also, I skimmed through the first bit of the thread and are they really not giving Canadians secondaries?

Fingers crossed for all of you guys :)

The prompt is the same as the MD prompt.

Edit:
Medicine is a lifelong learning career where new understandings of diseases are constantly changing and new medications are continuously being added, yet motivating patients continues to be a stimulating challenge. Please discuss in 2000 characters or less ways physicians address this issue. You may use resources to answer this question, mention them but foot notes are not necessary.

Hi, everyone. Does anyone's portal say "Your supplemental application has been received. Once your supplemental application fee is received and your recommendation letters are processed, your file will be complete'.
I can't tell if they've received my LORs or what is the status on them. After submitting the application, I also realized that I didn't submit a copy of the green card and had to email it to the person responsible for handling those documents. I can't tell if the document's been uploaded either. I don't know if this message is normal before review or I'm still missing something that is holding off review.

Also, I submitted my secondary here about two weeks ago. So I'm not sure why it still doesn't say under review.

Hi, everyone. Does anyone's portal say "Your supplemental application has been received. Once your supplemental application fee is received and your recommendation letters are processed, your file will be complete'.
I can't tell if they've received my LORs or what is the status on them. After submitting the application, I also realized that I didn't submit a copy of the green card and had to email it to the person responsible for handling those documents. I can't tell if the document's been uploaded either. I don't know if this message is normal before review or I'm still missing something that is holding off review.

Also, I submitted my secondary here about two weeks ago. So I'm not sure why it still doesn't say under review.
I would assume you are not complete. My portal says this after receiving a complete email. "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE."

I would assume you are not complete. My portal says this after receiving a complete email. "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE."

Okay, since I can't see the status of my letters should I contact someone in the admissions office via email?

Is VCU receptive to email updates? I submitted my secondary yesterday, but I have 3/4 activities to add to my primary

Okay, since I can't see the status of my letters should I contact someone in the admissions office via email?
I would call and ask them why it is not complete if its been over a few days. I dont think CASper would be holding it up

Make sure you click the check box on the final form of the supplemental application before you submit, if you can still edit your supplenmtal it wont submit?

Do they review chronologically? I was complete around July 12th and my portal still says your MD file is complete and will be reviewed.

Complete 7/7. IS. Traditional ORM. First one of the cycle (and potentially last who knows) so I'm pretty pumped!
Congrats, I know you'll crush it! (and you're gonna get more interviews, give yourself more credit!)

Hey y'all... anyone know about how many interviews lead to acceptances at VCU? (I looked at MSAR but it only shows the number matriculated). Just got an II, complete 8/6 and IS

Hey y'all... anyone know about how many interviews lead to acceptances at VCU? (I looked at MSAR but it only shows the number matriculated). Just got an II, complete 8/6 and IS

Was wondering the same thing since I just got an II too. I also heard that once you get the interview you've passed all the screens so your interview performance is the main factor for acceptance at this point, but it's all a holistic process. If VCU's IS yield is 50%, and 113 matriculated, then maybe 220 or so were accepted from the 290 who were interviewed (220/290*100 = 75%)? The yield could be higher for IS though, making it closer to 60% acceptance rate post-interview.

Last edited:
Was wondering the same thing since I just got an II too. I also heard that once you get the interview you've passed all the screens so your interview performance is the main factor for acceptance at this point, but it's all a holistic process. If VCU's IS yield is 50%, and 113 matriculated, then maybe 220 or so were accepted from the 290 who were interviewed (220/290*100 = 75%)? The yield could be higher for IS though, making it closer to 60% acceptance rate post-interview.
No idea where you’ve gotten that 290 number but it’s most likely not accurate. Last year us news said ~1000 people were interviewed when in reality it was closer to 600. Dean mission already said close to 600 would be interviewed this time around too

No idea where you’ve gotten that 290 number but it’s most likely not accurate. Last year us news said ~1000 people were interviewed when in reality it was closer to 600. Dean mission already said close to 600 would be interviewed this time around too

That’s the number stated on MSAR for IS interviews offered. I stated IS in my post since both the poster and myself are IS.

That’s the number stated on MSAR for IS interviews offered. I stated IS in my post since both the poster and myself are IS.
Oh that makes sense. I still don’t think those are accurate. If us news says ~400 extra people got II last year then that’s bound to affect the IS/OOS number too

Oh that makes sense. I still don’t think those are accurate. If us news says ~400 extra people got II last year then that’s bound to affect the IS/OOS number too

Yes you make a great point. Sounds like this year it’ll be 600-700 interviews again based on what Dean Mission said. I’d still guess like 60% of interviewed apps get accepted tho unless the yield is really high which it might be.

Question to those who have interviewed or who go here: have you sent a thank you email to anyone? With MMI I'm thinking whether I should just send one to the associate dean who was leading us through the process. I interviewed just last week.

How were you able to finish it in 20 minutes??
Well I read the essay and kinda sat on it to think of what it meant (since it was kinda ambiguous), what I wanted to say, and how I wanted to say it. I would consider myself a good writer and secondaries didnt take me too long because I through about the essays before sitting down to type. It took me 20 min to finish it but then probably 15-20 min to fun through for passive voice, spelling errors, grammatical mistakes, etc

The days of VCU interviewing 900+ applicants is over and has not been in effect since the 2016 season; there are a combination of factors for this, but it is primarily due to their switch to the MMI, which limits the number of candidates that can be interviewed at any given time. This year, VCU hopes to interview ~650 candidates.

48 have already interviewed, with 32 more to come this week.

The days of VCU interviewing 900+ applicants is over and has not been in effect since the 2016 season; there a combination of factors for this, but it is primarily due to their switch to the MMI, which limits the number of candidates that can be interviewed at any given time. This year, VCU hopes to interview ~650 candidates.
Do you think there will be an increase or decrease in interviews this cycle due to the AAMC not issuing the multiple acceptance report?

Do you think there will be an increase or decrease in interviews this cycle due to the AAMC not issuing the multiple acceptance report?
The number of interview slots is not affected by a change in the rules.

Interview invite! Complete 7/31. Man I'm so excited! VCU is one of my top choices.