2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Been sitting on the "application will be reviewed" for about a month now. Silent rejection, I suppose? OOS

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Been sitting on the "application will be reviewed" for about a month now. Silent rejection, I suppose? OOS
I just was finished being reviewed yesterday and I was under review for over a month so maybe not!

Reactions: 1 user
I had the review message for about 6 weeks before I got an II

I think that this message means literally what it says- you have not made it through the sub-committee yet. Wishing you luck and have patience!

@Dean Mission

I have the application status:

Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile.

Please note that your file may be put on hold for the following reasons:
Hold for MCAT: We are assuming you are scheduled to take the test. The Committee wishes to wait to evaluate your file until those scores are available. MCATS taken after September of the year of application will not be considered. If you are not planning to take or retake the MCAT, please notify us immediately.

Hold for Grades: The file review done by the Committee has determined that you are engaged in coursework which may affect their decision about whether to invite you for an interview. It is imperative that you submit grades for current or proposed courses in a timely fashion. Any file on hold for grades that are not submitted by January 31st will automatically be rejected. If you did not take the course indicated on your primary or supplemental application, please notify us immediately.

I have my grades and MCAT submitted already. Should I call the office?

@Dean Mission

I have the application status:
Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile.

Please note that your file may be put on hold for the following reasons:
Hold for MCAT: We are assuming you are scheduled to take the test. The Committee wishes to wait to evaluate your file until those scores are available. MCATS taken after September of the year of application will not be considered. If you are not planning to take or retake the MCAT, please notify us immediately.

Hold for Grades: The file review done by the Committee has determined that you are engaged in coursework which may affect their decision about whether to invite you for an interview. It is imperative that you submit grades for current or proposed courses in a timely fashion. Any file on hold for grades that are not submitted by January 31st will automatically be rejected. If you did not take the course indicated on your primary or supplemental application, please notify us immediately..

I have my grades and MCAT submitted already. Should I call the office?

It's not saying that you're on hold for either of these things. It's saying that there is a potential to be placed on hold for these types of scenarios and if that's the case that is what the portal will reflect. Your file is still in review right now and not on hold.

It's not saying that you're on hold for either of these things. It's saying that there is a potential to be placed on hold for these types of scenarios and if that's the case that is what the portal will reflect. Your file is still in review right now and not on hold....
ok thank you

Wait already! And here’s the rest of us still waiting for an II lol

Congrats though!
Thanks!! Timelines are shifted for ED applicants so don’t compare yours to mine or anyone else’s for that matter :) you are neither early nor late, you are perfectly on time for you!

Admitted! Can’t wait to meet all my future classmates.
ED two for two! I'll see you on the other side ^_^

Good luck to the rest of you :) It doesn't seem like files are necessarily reviewed in the order that they're submitted, so as long as you haven't been rejected, you still have a chance! They said people are offered seats all the way through next summer, so have courage and push on!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
VCU, please love me. Complete 7/9ish and still deafening silence.

Reactions: 5 users
I feel it. I've been complete since 7/5, wondering if we're ever gonna hear anything lol

Same here man. Better than a rejection or hold i guess? Maybe.

Does anyone know how many applicants VCU accepts (not just how many matriculate)?

I'm hoping they can see how many times I refresh my portal every day and feel enough pity for me to send me an II.

Reactions: 8 users
Source? I'm kind of surprised. Their class size is around 200, so that would be very high yield.
Well the class size is around 200 and their waitlist was at least 100 according to admissions last year. Msar said that 75/100 got in from the list so there’s that too. No idea how the IS/OOS lists come into play here though but even with 300 they’re still under the general guideline of 1.5-2x acceptances:matriculants you see on here

Well the class size is around 200 and their waitlist was at least 100 according to admissions last year. Msar said that 75/100 got in from the list so there’s that too. No idea how the IS/OOS lists come into play here though but even with 300 they’re still under the general guideline of 1.5-2x acceptances:matriculants you see on here

Makes sense. For some reason I thought it was 2.5-3x acceptances:matriculants

Anyone know if we can access our supplemental application at this point? I have a file where I save all of my essays, but of course, around 3 schools are not on there and VCU is one of them...

Anyone know if we can access our supplemental application at this point? I have a file where I save all of my essays, but of course, around 3 schools are not on there and VCU is one of them...
Ya check the portal. Click through each part of the app

I couldn’t see mine either as soon as I got my II

Same here. Trying to read through my entire app before my interview. In general I remember my responses, but would be nice to double check.

Same here. Trying to read through my entire app before my interview. In general I remember my responses, but would be nice to double check.
I will say that it is unlikely you’ll need them, I didn’t!

Ah ok! So you already interviewed then?
Yup! I was super nervous, but it was extremely unnecessary. The whole process was actually very relaxed :)

Yup! I was super nervous, but it was extremely unnecessary. The whole process was actually very relaxed :)

That's awesome to hear! I'm sure you crushed it! I have mine in early October. Last thing that stands between me and med school lol.

That's awesome to hear! I'm sure you crushed it! I have mine in early October. Last thing that stands between me and med school lol.

Ahhh so exciting!!! Hopefully we meet in 2019 as students!

R today

On a Sunday. On Labor Day weekend... Best of luck to everyone else

Reactions: 3 users
Received an II today! Re-applicant, IS, LM 66-67.

Congrats, what potential dates were available for September/October?
Thanks! There was nothing for September and only Oct. 31st for October, but there were plenty of dates for November through January.

Reactions: 2 users
@Dean Mission Would you know if VCU will be giving priority to in-state applicants during the first acceptance release dates (Oct 16, Dec 16)? Do you also know if VCU plans on still having only the 4 release dates (October, December, February, March) for acceptances this year or will they be released anytime this cycle? Thanks!

II here a few days ago!! OOS LM 71-73. I had the complete message for about a day before I got the II.

@Dean Mission Would you know if VCU will be giving priority to in-state applicants during the first acceptance release dates (Oct 16, Dec 16)? Do you also know if VCU plans on still having only the 4 release dates (October, December, February, March) for acceptances this year or will they be released anytime this cycle? Thanks!
Virginia residents are preferentially given priority for application review early in the season. Out-of-state residents will start to receive interview invites in-earnest soon. Interview invites will be forthcoming, but offer dates will be on Oct 16, Dec 16, Feb 1, and Mar 1 this cycle.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks! There was nothing for September and only Oct. 31st for October, but there were plenty of dates for November through January.
Not gonna lie, this bums me out that there aren't any dates until November.