2018-2019 Wayne State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Were any of you that were accepted today moved up from the waitlist?
Nope, not waitlisted. Although, I have 10 friends currently who are medical students at wayne, and 9/10 moved up from the waitlist into the school, it picks up really signficantly after April. I'm really hoping that happens for you! Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed 10/19 and still haven’t heard, y’all think I should call the admissions office?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In October, it looks like they sent out acceptances one day and waitlists the following day. Hoping that's not the case here...

So my status just changed to Med School in Process (SC) last week :/

I realize it's late, so does anyone know if this is good or bad? What does it mean again - does it mean they reviewed my app?

Should I email them about my non-changing "MR" status since September 1st? lol

Interviewed 10/15 and still silence. Anyone that interviewed this day hear anything?
I interviewed that day and heard back 3 days later. Buuuut it all usually takes time, no news it good news <3

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished my secondaries about 2 weeks ago and went from MR --> SC today without ever going to SS (I check a couple times a day for the hell of it). Seems like people generally are not sure what SC is. My buddy from the same school and similar stats applied a few months ago and is still on MR.

Where do you find the acceptance form? I've been waiting for some kind of instruction on how to confirm my acceptance.
the wsu email! you might need to log on to the portal and activate it!

the wsu email! you might need to log on to the portal and activate it!
There it is!

I am pretty sure that accepting the offer does not require you to attend, you're basically saying "Yeah I'm interested, please hold that seat for me."

Are there any Canadians applying to Wayne this cycle? Last year WSU took 18 international students!! (assuming many are Canadians) so I am still hopeful about this school.

EFF121A3-6D52-44AC-8751-1F2373A05434.jpeg
Does everyone see this “Post-Admission Acceptance” on their portal??? Or is this good news??? I interviews 4+ weeks ago and haven’t received an email decision. Really trying not to get my hopes up.

There it is!

I am pretty sure that accepting the offer does not require you to attend, you're basically saying "Yeah I'm interested, please hold that seat for me."
If you figure out how to accept please let me know how you did it. Neither the email nor the portal have links.

ACCEPTANCE! grateful to have a choice in the matter!!!

Interviewed 10/19

Complete Late July

URM LM 70!

I liked the school and the up and coming Detroit area!

Sidenote: I think someone from admissions looked me up on linkedin before offering the acceptance.
PM’ed you! Trying to figure out how to accept my offer of acceptance if you wouldn’t mind lending me a hand

PM’ed you! Trying to figure out how to accept my offer of acceptance if you wouldn’t mind lending me a hand

Also need to know this, if anyone doesn’t mind sharing.

If you figure out how to accept please let me know how you did it. Neither the email nor the portal have links.
Also need to know this, if anyone doesn’t mind sharing.

Go to Login - Wayne Connect
Click "Outlook", which will take you to your Wayne State inbox
There should be an email in there with instructions for accepting the offer.

I did some of my undergrad at Wayne State, so idk if people who are completely new to Wayne State need to do something extra to set up their account or whatever.

Go to Login - Wayne Connect
Click "Outlook", which will take you to your Wayne State inbox
There should be an email in there with instructions for accepting the offer.

I did some of my undergrad at Wayne State, so idk if people who are completely new to Wayne State need to do something extra to set up their account or whatever.
Thank you very much this was very helpful! Cheers!

Reactions: 1 users
Does wayne state accept letter that are not through AMCAS? Are they receptive to letter of interest/attendance pre interview?

Thank you

My status is still in MR even though complete last August- Is this normal or do they just not want to look at my app? :unsure:

I’m interviewing here soon. Does anyone have suggestions for a hotel to stay at that is close to the school? Thanks!

My status is still in MR even though complete last August- Is this normal or do they just not want to look at my app? :unsure:
Has somebody figured out what MR means? There was a post a few weeks ago by someone who said they went straight from MR to MV (which is the interview invite).

I was accepted here so I can give a few tips. Every school has a "thing." Wayne State's is Urban Clinical Excellence and love for the city of Detroit. The interview day is really simple. They are not going to WOW you with a grilled salmon lunch or fancy presentations like many other schools do. The impression that I got was more-or-less: Hey, we're Wayne. We've been here for 150 years, we're a dope medical school, and if you're sincerely interested in urban service and the city of Detroit, we want you.

I have been invited to 9 interviews this cycle and Wayne was the most "no-bull****" school which is why I will be attending here next year. They were straight up with everything on my interview day. Someone asked why they changed their curriculum last year and the answer was "Accreditation." I really appreciated their honesty and approach to running the school. It seems like a place where mature students will thrive without being held back by hand-holding. I'd also say that they are fairly good at reading you as a person on interview day. If you need a lot of guidance as a student, this probably isn't the place for you.

Bottom line is to be yourself, show interest in their school and specifically the city of Detroit, and show them that you are an independent, driven leader and student. Emphasize the parts of your application where you've led a team, started an organization or volunteered in urban settings. Learn a little bit more about Detroit before going if you don't know anything about the city, and try to relax. Overall it's a really low-key day. Some people are thrown off by the lack of attention you get on interview day, but others thrive on it. If you're really uncomfortable not being spoken to by people in suits the entire day, take note of that. If you feel at home in the atmosphere, you'll know right away. The interview day will be what you make of it. We didn't see a single faculty member of a person from admissions for the first 3+ hours of our day (I had the afternoon interviews).

Hope this helps a bit. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Reactions: 9 users
I was accepted here so I can give a few tips. Every school has a "thing." Wayne State's is Urban Clinical Excellence and love for the city of Detroit. The interview day is really simple. They are not going to WOW you with a grilled salmon lunch or fancy presentations like many other schools do. The impression that I got was more-or-less: Hey, we're Wayne. We've been here for 150 years, we're a dope medical school, and if you're sincerely interested in urban service and the city of Detroit, we want you.

I have been invited to 9 interviews this cycle and Wayne was the most "no-bull****" school which is why I will be attending here next year. They were straight up with everything on my interview day. Someone asked why they changed their curriculum last year and the answer was "Accreditation." I really appreciated their honesty and approach to running the school. It seems like a place where mature students will thrive without being held back by hand-holding. I'd also say that they are fairly good at reading you as a person on interview day. If you need a lot of guidance as a student, this probably isn't the place for you.

Bottom line is to be yourself, show interest in their school and specifically the city of Detroit, and show them that you are an independent, driven leader and student. Emphasize the parts of your application where you've led a team, started an organization or volunteered in urban settings. Learn a little bit more about Detroit before going if you don't know anything about the city, and try to relax. Overall it's a really low-key day. Some people are thrown off by the lack of attention you get on interview day, but others thrive on it. If you're really uncomfortable not being spoken to by people in suits the entire day, take note of that. If you feel at home in the atmosphere, you'll know right away. The interview day will be what you make of it. We didn't see a single faculty member of a person from admissions for the first 3+ hours of our day (I had the afternoon interviews).

Hope this helps a bit. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you so much for the advice! It was very helpful! Could you tell me what your schedule was like? I also have an afternoon interview. Did you have a lot of free time to explore or everyone was in a room?

Thank you so much for the advice! It was very helpful! Could you tell me what your schedule was like? I also have an afternoon interview. Did you have a lot of free time to explore or everyone was in a room?

No problem! The first half of the day consisted of a bus tour of Detroit, Q&A with a few med students, small lunch, and mingling with other applicants in the med school building. In the afternoon, we had our interviews in a different building. You have some free time to explore the building but most people just chilled in the room and mingled during lunch/Q&A

Does anyone have any interview tips? Interviewing here soon
So, basically you get there and they take you to a room with some light refreshments and you wait there for awhile. Then, you get on a bus which takes you to the building that you will interview in. They will take you to a room and the dean of admissions will give you an introduction and you can ask questions. Then, they will split you into groups based on the color on your name tag. One group will be MMI/ student interviews and one will be faculty interviews and then you switch.
The MMI was very straightforward scenarios, so do not be worried about that. There's this video series on youtube called coursegrinder that I watched before my first interview with MMI and it just helps you think quickly and get ideas in your head before you have to actually go answer questions. In all honesty, I would try to think of some of your own life experiences that could apply to MMI questions and be ready to talk about those during the interview.
The student interview was strange for me. They did not have enough medical students at interview day, so I had to set mine up through facetime lol. But overall, it was typical interview questions. I believe that if you search medical school interview questions aamc has a list or something and I would go off that. Again, just come prepared with some example life experiences that could apply to interview questions.
50 Common Medical School Interview Questions
stuff like those questions!
The faculty interview was my favorite part! You go into a private room and they have your file open with some notes they took and they basically just ask you about your life. The guy I interviewed with was really laid back and straight up told me he didn't want to hear answers to my typical questions like "Why do you wanna go to wayne state? / why do you wanna be a doctor?". We talked about my life as a kid, hobbies I have outside of school, my pets at home, and some things I'm interested in getting involved in (healthcare policy/ working with the underserved). For this one, I would go over your primary/secondary app a little cause they might ask you about volunteer things you did or activities.
So, just go in confident! You know yourself the best and that is truly what they are looking for during this interview.
After this, you get to chill, have lunch, and you get a tour of the building and of detroit! it was super cool even though I was exhausted by this point.

Here’s some advice I just gave to someone else!

Reactions: 6 users
Thank you both! And Congrats on the acceptances!

So, basically you get there and they take you to a room with some light refreshments and you wait there for awhile. Then, you get on a bus which takes you to the building that you will interview in. They will take you to a room and the dean of admissions will give you an introduction and you can ask questions. Then, they will split you into groups based on the color on your name tag. One group will be MMI/ student interviews and one will be faculty interviews and then you switch.
The MMI was very straightforward scenarios, so do not be worried about that. There's this video series on youtube called coursegrinder that I watched before my first interview with MMI and it just helps you think quickly and get ideas in your head before you have to actually go answer questions. In all honesty, I would try to think of some of your own life experiences that could apply to MMI questions and be ready to talk about those during the interview.
The student interview was strange for me. They did not have enough medical students at interview day, so I had to set mine up through facetime lol. But overall, it was typical interview questions. I believe that if you search medical school interview questions aamc has a list or something and I would go off that. Again, just come prepared with some example life experiences that could apply to interview questions.
50 Common Medical School Interview Questions
stuff like those questions!
The faculty interview was my favorite part! You go into a private room and they have your file open with some notes they took and they basically just ask you about your life. The guy I interviewed with was really laid back and straight up told me he didn't want to hear answers to my typical questions like "Why do you wanna go to wayne state? / why do you wanna be a doctor?". We talked about my life as a kid, hobbies I have outside of school, my pets at home, and some things I'm interested in getting involved in (healthcare policy/ working with the underserved). For this one, I would go over your primary/secondary app a little cause they might ask you about volunteer things you did or activities.
So, just go in confident! You know yourself the best and that is truly what they are looking for during this interview.
After this, you get to chill, have lunch, and you get a tour of the building and of detroit! it was super cool even though I was exhausted by this point.

Here’s some advice I just gave to someone else!
Wow, thank you so much!!!

Wayne, can you not keep leading some of us on by leaving us at MR. thanks.