2018-2019 Wayne State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh, someone a few pages back said there would be another round of merit scholarships released today, May 6th. It seems as if that information was faulty.
It’s not. They sent an email that said that as well (merit & need-based). I even re-read the email today to make sure lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got pulled off the waitlist and got accepted!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Didn’t you say you withdrew from the waitlist?
Yeah I tried to withdraw through the portal, but it didn't work. So I will be declining this offer through email now. I can still be happy and grateful for them considering me. Lol

Reactions: 1 user
Just got pulled off the waitlist and accepted as well! Interviewed in mid-Feb and was waitlisted only a couple weeks later. It wasn’t the actual acceptance email, just let me know that I WAS accepted and how that affected any current offers I held. Real acceptance email is forthcoming. I’m pumped!!!!!

Yeah I tried to withdraw through the portal, but it didn't work. So I will be declining this offer through email now. I can still be happy and grateful for them considering me. Lol
Definitely, congrats dude!!

Do they send acceptances all in one shot or do they trickle throughout the day? Feeling pessimistic (again)

Reactions: 6 users
Just got pulled off the waitlist and accepted as well! Interviewed in mid-Feb and was waitlisted only a couple weeks later. It wasn’t the actual acceptance email, just let me know that I WAS accepted and how that affected any current offers I held. Real acceptance email is forthcoming. I’m pumped!!!!!
Also my portal is not updated

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted off the Waitlist! Anyone have any idea about when scholarships are announced? This is my second acceptance and my choice is ultimately dependent on scholarship size. Also I’m OOS.

I don't understand what they look at for statistics, because I have a 4.0 GPA from Umich and a 516 on my MCAT but I was still waitlisted, so IDK

I don't understand what they look at for statistics, because I have a 4.0 GPA from Umich and a 516 on my MCAT but I was still waitlisted, so IDK
Lol I got a 516 on my MCAT and a 3.9 at Umich and I was waitlisted as well.

no :(

My apologies, I should have made that more clear, I am a bit flustered from this whole process at the moment :|
I don't even know what to do at this point, I definitely don't want to retake the MCAT, I'm thinking about giving up on medical school.

I don't even know what to do at this point, I definitely don't want to retake the MCAT, I'm thinking about giving up on medical school.
I literally have been sitting here thinking the exact same thing for about 2 hours now. But we've gone through all this, to give up now would be a disservice to ourselves. I keep telling myself maybe having a year off is a blessing in disguise. According to my M1 mentor at umich, many students now are having to take one or more gap year because of rejections, and that the students that come in straight from undergrad have a higher fail rate for exams than everyone else does

ay! I interviewed on 11/16...ish.....? waitlist email came a few days before Christmas, what a gift, am I right?
interview on January 28th, the invitation came a few days before Christmas! I graduated since 2017, I feel maybe medicine is not for me, maybe I'm lying to myself. I feel like I'm wasting my time waiting for something that won't happen.

I literally have been sitting here thinking the exact same thing for about 2 hours now. But we've gone through all this, to give up now would be a disservice to ourselves. I keep telling myself maybe having a year off is a blessing in disguise. According to my M1 mentor at umich, many students now are having to take one or more gap year because of rejections, and that the students that come in straight from undergrad have a higher fail rate for exams than everyone else does

One gap year or two is NOT the end of the world. I mean, I'm not accepted anywhere but I'm in the same boat as you guys and I am more than 4 years post-undergrad. Obviously, these years did not happen willingly and I'm still bitter at events and people that caused this, but point is gap year(s) is fine.

And trust me, I'm also feeling that "I should give up medical school". I mean, I'm almost 30 and getting desperate to start my "real" career, one that I had hoped for almost all my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
ay! I interviewed on 11/16...ish.....? waitlist email came a few days before christmas, what a gift, am i right?
Same here, went to umich and got waitlised 12/20.. Kinda nervous because all the people getting in were waitlisted in 2019

Same here, went to umich and got waitlised 12/20.. Kinda nervous because all the people getting in were waitlisted in 2019

I'm OOS and I saw spreadsheet somewhere on here that basically says 60% of us OOSers who interviewed got accepted. But now I'm thinking "Of course *I* would be in the smaller percentage that didn't get in. OF COURSE." :arghh::dead:

I'm OOS and I saw spreadsheet somewhere on here that basically says 60% of us OOSers who interviewed got accepted. But now I'm thinking "Of course *I* would be in the smaller percentage that didn't get in. OF COURSE." :arghh::dead:
i still have hope !

is there usually daily movement? Or is it just one day every week a bunch of people get in?

I'd also like to know how long people who are accepted off the waitlist get to make a decision

Oh? I did not know that was the case! Hmm, they have to go through the waitlist somehow...I'm not sure how they can do it and be fair to everyone, though. Maybe those people were fresh on the pile still?
I was told several months back that many many people make it off the waitlist at this school, and that most of them come before june, so maybe the admissions people will meet again in a week or so and have more time to go over us 2018 waitlisters ;)

Oh? I did not know that was the case! Hmm, they have to go through the waitlist somehow...I'm not sure how they can do it and be fair to everyone, though. Maybe those people were fresh on the pile still?
I was told several months back that many many people make it off the waitlist at this school, and that most of them come before june, so maybe the admissions people will meet again in a week or so and have more time to go over us 2018 waitlisters ;)

Since mid February, every interviewee got wait listed likely without review or ranking. That's why those are getting reviewed now. After those are reviewed at least once over (maybe 150 applicants? That's a guess) I'm sure they will go back to the applicants who were already ranked and placed on the waitlist. At least that had been the pattern historically.

Since mid February, every interviewee got wait listed likely without review or ranking. That's why those are getting reviewed now. After those are reviewed at least once over (maybe 150 applicants? That's a guess) I'm sure they will go back to the applicants who were already ranked and placed on the waitlist. At least that had been the pattern historically.
Actually, I’m pretty sure everyone is ranked in some shape or form right after their interviews. I doubt it’s a strict 1-1200 number list, probably hierarchied. My (now) friend and both interviewed around Feb, had very similar “fit” to the school’s mission, similar stats, and we were both accepted around the same time mid-June

No later interviewees were accepted before yesterday, and all of them were WL in March. Which means they weren't actually considered before being placed on it at that point.

I was told several months back that many many people make it off the waitlist at this school, and that most of them come before june, so maybe the admissions people will meet again in a week or so and have more time to go over us 2018 waitlisters;)

Can you please yell this into a hillside or canyon so it can go into the universe? Haha. Had a total freak out moment yesterday when I didn't get anything. Even more so when I saw someone on this thread who had literally the same profile/stats as me (except they were from Ohio and I'm in CA) say they got in in May. But hey, it's still early in May so perhaps? Ugh, I think April and now this time has been the worst waiting time :dead:

Anyone know if we have a facebook page for WSUSOM Class of 2023, so we can make friends and also look for housing roommates?? If we do have one, can someone link it here please? THANKS!!

What are the more popular/cheaper apartments that medical students tend to live in that are close to campus (within 15 mins)? I've been looking into a few, however I've been coming across some off-putting reviews. Please help :)

Accepted yesterday! Mentions a follow-up email - anyone know when that should come by? Interviewed early March and was waitlisted within late March.

What are the more popular/cheaper apartments that medical students tend to live in that are close to campus (within 15 mins)? I've been looking into a few, however I've been coming across some off-putting reviews. Please help :)
Just off the top of my head: on campus (University Towers), off campus: The Pavillion, Riverfront Towers, Lafeyette Towers, Studio One, The Union

I’ve been looking for several months now and have made several trips to Detroit to check out housing. Unfortunately, unless you live in a dump or have a shared space (roommates/housemates) you’re not going to find anything cheap within walking distance. If you want a livable 1 bedroom apartment, expect to pay $1000+ within walking distance. For 2-bedrooms you can find some nice ones for $1600ish but many have waitlists (studio 1). If you live downtown, you can find some relatively cheaper spots like Lafayette towers. The place I’m considering is Strathmore but it’s $1300+ for a 1-bedroom. Be cautious of the midtown postings online for $800, many are low-income apartments that we do not qualify for. If you need cheap housing, the best bet would be a shared space.

I’ve been looking for several months now and have made several trips to Detroit to check out housing. Unfortunately, unless you live in a dump or have a shared space (roommates/housemates) you’re not going to find anything cheap within walking distance. If you want a livable 1 bedroom apartment, expect to pay $1000+ within walking distance. For 2-bedrooms you can find some nice ones for $1600ish but many have waitlists (studio 1). If you live downtown, you can find some relatively cheaper spots like Lafayette towers. The place I’m considering is Strathmore but it’s $1300+ for a 1-bedroom. Be cautious of the midtown postings online for $800, many are low-income apartments that we do not qualify for. If you need cheap housing, the best bet would be a shared space.
Lol 100% not true. OP, ask your questions on the Facebook page. A couple of M2s and M3s including myself have joined your class’s page to answer some of your questions. My friend is living off campus a couple of blocks away, and is paying high $800s with utilities a month. I believe he found the listing on Craigslist. So not the safest but...he loves the apartment

Lol 100% not true. OP, ask your questions on the Facebook page. A couple of M2s and M3s including myself have joined your class’s page to answer some of your questions. My friend is living off campus a couple of blocks away, and is paying high $800s with utilities a month. I believe he found the listing on Craigslist. So not the safest but...he loves the apartment
I'll look at the FB page, thank you! :)

You may be able to find a few on Craigslist but high 800's a month isn't far from what I said. And I think that's more of an exception than the rule, I've contacted people on the facebook group and the 1-bedrooms within walking distance that I've seen range from $1k to as high as $2k (ellington). Most people I've contacted live in 2-3 bedrooms which makes rent much more bearable.

If it's easy to find places for under 1k, I'd honestly love advice for complexes to look into. I feel like I've exhausted most options for 1-bedrooms that are quiet and in good areas within walking distance.