Oct 3, 2018
How do the new rules affect waitlist movement at all?
In past years, all schools got a report that detailed who was accepted where. Because schools like to offer spots to people who are most likely to attend, schools in the past may not have offered an acceptance to someone who they saw was accepted to Harvard already. This year, schools waitlisted way more applicants because they didn’t have that report. Much more waitlist movement is expected to happen this year because of it.

Reactions: Gal_from_Gallifrey
Mar 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone hear anything about the 5/6 merit and need scholarships? Could only be a few people or maybe theyre waiting until the end of the day...
When I got my waitlist email, I got it around 5:30-6P EDT; Idk if anyone can second that, but I think maybe they wait until the end of the day (which is incredibly ironic b/c I kept getting interview emails from them at like 3am :p)

Tetines of Paris

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2016
When I got my waitlist email, I got it around 5:30-6P EDT; Idk if anyone can second that, but I think maybe they wait until the end of the day (which is incredibly ironic b/c I kept getting interview emails from them at like 3am :p)
Just out of curiosity, I checked mine again (ugh I hate seeing that email, haha) and I actually got it at 3:00 PST. So I guess they sent them out around the same time?

Feb 25, 2018
July 15. The M1 schedule is already up
Can you provide a link to the schedule?
I called admissions and registrar. The administration seems to be trying hard to fulfill their reputation of being 'difficult.' They had to patch me through 3 different offices before they confirmed that, "July 15 is orientation and breakfast. We have no other information. We don't have the schedule yet. It's still really early to have the info."

I also called the financial aid office about award packages. Two months ago they said award packages would be sent by April. Today they had no answers, general timeline, or the vaguest idea about anything. Struggling with admin to obtain basic info before school even begins is not a good first impression. Beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Tetines of Paris

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2016
Does someone have any type of information for potentially a day for movement in the waiting list?
In this thread, people have tried calling and nobody gets a solid answer. The best we have so far is when movement happened last year, which was supposed to be last Friday. It looks like in general, schools see wait list movement around mid-May :shrug:

Mar 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Can you provide a link to the schedule?
I called admissions and registrar. The administration seems to be trying hard to fulfill their reputation of being 'difficult.' They had to patch me through 3 different offices before they confirmed that, "July 15 is orientation and breakfast. We have no other information. We don't have the schedule yet. It's still really early to have the info."

I also called the financial aid office about award packages. Two months ago they said award packages would be sent by April. Today they had no answers, general timeline, or the vaguest idea about anything. Struggling with admin to obtain basic info before school even begins is not a good first impression. Beggars can't be choosers I guess.
Huh, that's interesting: I found a google calendar link on their website; I had to go through the curriculum page, and then M1 schedule, and the google calendar link was there. It shows up properly on my Mac, the days/times line up with the year and what current M1s say their schedule was like, so I assume it is correct.

This was Saturday I think when I checked

Update:

FOUND IT!!! MWAHAHHAH

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Never heard of these, "the 5/6 merit and need scholarships." Can you clarify?
Oh, someone a few pages back said there would be another round of merit scholarships released today, May 6th. It seems as if that information was faulty.

Dec 29, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Didn’t you say you withdrew from the waitlist?
Yeah I tried to withdraw through the portal, but it didn't work. So I will be declining this offer through email now. I can still be happy and grateful for them considering me. Lol

Reactions: Katsrkool
Jan 1, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Just got pulled off the waitlist and accepted as well! Interviewed in mid-Feb and was waitlisted only a couple weeks later. It wasn’t the actual acceptance email, just let me know that I WAS accepted and how that affected any current offers I held. Real acceptance email is forthcoming. I’m pumped!!!!!

Jan 1, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Just got pulled off the waitlist and accepted as well! Interviewed in mid-Feb and was waitlisted only a couple weeks later. It wasn’t the actual acceptance email, just let me know that I WAS accepted and how that affected any current offers I held. Real acceptance email is forthcoming. I’m pumped!!!!!
Also my portal is not updated

Jan 30, 2019
Accepted off the Waitlist! Anyone have any idea about when scholarships are announced? This is my second acceptance and my choice is ultimately dependent on scholarship size. Also I’m OOS.

Mar 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't understand what they look at for statistics, because I have a 4.0 GPA from Umich and a 516 on my MCAT but I was still waitlisted, so IDK

Mar 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't even know what to do at this point, I definitely don't want to retake the MCAT, I'm thinking about giving up on medical school.
I literally have been sitting here thinking the exact same thing for about 2 hours now. But we've gone through all this, to give up now would be a disservice to ourselves. I keep telling myself maybe having a year off is a blessing in disguise. According to my M1 mentor at umich, many students now are having to take one or more gap year because of rejections, and that the students that come in straight from undergrad have a higher fail rate for exams than everyone else does

Aug 21, 2018
ay! I interviewed on 11/16...ish.....? waitlist email came a few days before Christmas, what a gift, am I right?
interview on January 28th, the invitation came a few days before Christmas! I graduated since 2017, I feel maybe medicine is not for me, maybe I'm lying to myself. I feel like I'm wasting my time waiting for something that won't happen.

Tetines of Paris

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2016
I literally have been sitting here thinking the exact same thing for about 2 hours now. But we've gone through all this, to give up now would be a disservice to ourselves. I keep telling myself maybe having a year off is a blessing in disguise. According to my M1 mentor at umich, many students now are having to take one or more gap year because of rejections, and that the students that come in straight from undergrad have a higher fail rate for exams than everyone else does
One gap year or two is NOT the end of the world. I mean, I'm not accepted anywhere but I'm in the same boat as you guys and I am more than 4 years post-undergrad. Obviously, these years did not happen willingly and I'm still bitter at events and people that caused this, but point is gap year(s) is fine.

And trust me, I'm also feeling that "I should give up medical school". I mean, I'm almost 30 and getting desperate to start my "real" career, one that I had hoped for almost all my life.

Last edited:

Tetines of Paris

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2016
Same here, went to umich and got waitlised 12/20.. Kinda nervous because all the people getting in were waitlisted in 2019
I'm OOS and I saw spreadsheet somewhere on here that basically says 60% of us OOSers who interviewed got accepted. But now I'm thinking "Of course *I* would be in the smaller percentage that didn't get in. OF COURSE." :arghh::dead:

Sep 19, 2018
I'd also like to know how long people who are accepted off the waitlist get to make a decision

Mar 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Same here, went to umich and got waitlised 12/20.. Kinda nervous because all the people getting in were waitlisted in 2019
Oh? I did not know that was the case! Hmm, they have to go through the waitlist somehow...I'm not sure how they can do it and be fair to everyone, though. Maybe those people were fresh on the pile still?
I was told several months back that many many people make it off the waitlist at this school, and that most of them come before june, so maybe the admissions people will meet again in a week or so and have more time to go over us 2018 waitlisters ;)

Feb 27, 2019
Oh? I did not know that was the case! Hmm, they have to go through the waitlist somehow...I'm not sure how they can do it and be fair to everyone, though. Maybe those people were fresh on the pile still?
I was told several months back that many many people make it off the waitlist at this school, and that most of them come before june, so maybe the admissions people will meet again in a week or so and have more time to go over us 2018 waitlisters ;)
Since mid February, every interviewee got wait listed likely without review or ranking. That's why those are getting reviewed now. After those are reviewed at least once over (maybe 150 applicants? That's a guess) I'm sure they will go back to the applicants who were already ranked and placed on the waitlist. At least that had been the pattern historically.

MedicineN'Jazz

calling all jazzites
2+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical, Medical Student
Since mid February, every interviewee got wait listed likely without review or ranking. That's why those are getting reviewed now. After those are reviewed at least once over (maybe 150 applicants? That's a guess) I'm sure they will go back to the applicants who were already ranked and placed on the waitlist. At least that had been the pattern historically.
Actually, I’m pretty sure everyone is ranked in some shape or form right after their interviews. I doubt it’s a strict 1-1200 number list, probably hierarchied. My (now) friend and both interviewed around Feb, had very similar “fit” to the school’s mission, similar stats, and we were both accepted around the same time mid-June

Reactions: Xiuyuan
Feb 27, 2019
No later interviewees were accepted before yesterday, and all of them were WL in March. Which means they weren't actually considered before being placed on it at that point.