2018-2019 Wayne State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted off waitlist!!!

IS, interviewed in november and was waitlisted in december. got an email around 10 am! did not send in any updates

Members don't see this ad.

So it looks like the acceptances will just start trickling in as opposed to one large batch once a week?

Reactions: 1 user
So it looks like the acceptances will just start trickling in as opposed to one large batch once a week?
TBH i think I like that better, I'd get super depressed when a whole bunch of people posted on here they got in and I didn't. At least now I know I could get an email any time now

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
TBH i think I like that better, I'd get super depressed when a whole bunch of people posted on here they got in and I didn't. At least now I know I could get an email any time now

Would the email go to the address registered through AMCAS or the wayne state email address?

Does anyone know where it is good to live? It seems like it's impossible to find a place to live under $1300/month. Maybe I am looking at the wrong places. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Would the email go to the address registered through AMCAS or the wayne state email address?

Technically the wayne email was not suppose to be set up until after acceptance so most likely your registered email. Also check your spam folder as I seem to remember earlier in this thread II emails were found there (could be mistaken though).

You guys just need to sit back and relax a bit. I went through the same process with Wayne in other cycles and forgot to just enjoy my life and the people around me. Worried constantly about having a respectable career, making money for my future, and how other people would perceive these transition years. It got me nowhere, and nobody really cared either way because they were happy with who I already was.

Now I have multiple acceptances this round to schools far better than Wayne, but am still waitlisted here. They don’t care, honestly, and there is no rhyme or reason to schools accepting you unfortunately. So stop worrying about what your employers think and how your life will look to others. And don’t place your self worth on the identity of being accepted to med school and being a doctor. It’s not all fun and games when you get accepted, so having a healthy mindset will get you the farthest.

Reactions: 6 users
You guys just need to sit back and relax a bit. I went through the same process with Wayne in other cycles and forgot to just enjoy my life and the people around me. Worried constantly about having a respectable career, making money for my future, and how other people would perceive these transition years. It got me nowhere, and nobody really cared either way because they were happy with who I already was.

Now I have multiple acceptances this round to schools far better than Wayne, but am still waitlisted here. They don’t care, honestly, and there is no rhyme or reason to schools accepting you unfortunately. So stop worrying about what your employers think and how your life will look to others. And don’t place your self worth on the identity of being accepted to med school and being a doctor. It’s not all fun and games when you get accepted, so having a healthy mindset will get you the farthest.
You have to say that because you work for HR.

Reactions: 7 users
Just withdrew from acceptance here! Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone received their financial aid offer yet??
Got an email this morning titled Financial Aid Letter!! But when I opened it, it guaranteed M1s their letters by June 20th wayne statedddd

Reactions: 2 users
Got an email this morning titled Financial Aid Letter!! But when I opened it, it guaranteed M1s their letters by June 20th wayne statedddd

That’s only 51 days later than the goal date they set for themselves on second look day. But I’m sure they’re working really hard on it.

o_O Does anyone else feel as though this is related to the fact that they have a large proportion of their incoming class that they have yet to accept? And therefore cannot even make decisions about financial aid? / and conversely can we expect them to make a DECISION about WL by 6/20? :dead:

o_O Does anyone else feel as though this is related to the fact that they have a large proportion of their incoming class that they have yet to accept? And therefore cannot even make decisions about financial aid? / and conversely can we expect them to make a DECISION about WL by 6/20? :dead:
How do you know that a large portion has yet to be accepted? Wayne makes a lot of silent moves then will update the tracker randomly with 100 more people accepted.

Based on some patterns and previous years' numbers, I would guess they have some offers to hand out still. I also would have guessed they'd have released financial aid info by now though so tells you how much I know.

Based on some patterns and previous years' numbers, I would guess they have some offers to hand out still. I also would have guessed they'd have released financial aid info by now though so tells you how much I know.

Same. I mentioned this a bit of a ways back, but I was able to talk to one of the admissions coordinators at the med-school expo at Umich back in march. She said they are in a bit of a rut this year because of the new AMCAS rules and they don't know how many acceptances they will have to send out this year b/c of what they can and cannot see about their applicants. Also, they are trying to shift their school to be on a semester schedule, and this has caused problems getting financial aid out to their current students let alone accepted students as the entire calendar has changed now. They're basically trying to duct tape a sinking boat at the moment. But TBH I feel bad for the current M1 students who are riding this wave b/c they're already pretty invested in this whole process, at least we haven't started it yet :_

Have any of you checked out the 2018-2019 Waitlist Support Thread? It's very active so I scroll by but they are really making it sounds like waitlist movement is pretty much over. Or is Wayne a little more forgiving as far as waitlists go? And man, I thought we were all freaking out in this thread...this one is way more positive. I get it though

Have any of you checked out the 2018-2019 Waitlist Support Thread? It's very active so I scroll by but they are really making it sounds like waitlist movement is pretty much over. Or is Wayne a little more forgiving as far as waitlists go? And man, I thought we were all freaking out in this thread...this one is way more positive. I get it though

I've been following it and it seems the consensus is that no one knows. Though, some adcom members think the bulk of the movement will be in June or closer to CTE deadlines in July. They are basically completely blind as to how many they have in their class right now.

I've been following it and it seems the consensus is that no one knows. Though, some adcom members think the bulk of the movement will be in June or closer to CTE deadlines in July. They are basically completely blind as to how many they have in their class right now.

Remind me, are there are any mandatory deadlines? Or is it basically still just recommendations? Cuz at least I can try to start freaking out later during mandatory dates.

Remind me, are there are any mandatory deadlines? Or is it basically still just recommendations? Cuz at least I can try to start freaking out later during mandatory dates.

This is what people have collected thus far.

This is what people have collected thus far.

More schools have CTEs in July than I had expected, which isn't in our favor since Wayne starts 7/15. But I see Wayne's CTE is 6/24 so maybe after that date, we'll really see how it's gonna be? Thanks for the info :thumbup:

Anyone know what the out of state tuition is? I couldn't find a definitive number on their website

Anyone know what the out of state tuition is? I couldn't find a definitive number on their website
They don’t use one standard number, but according to the financial aid website it was about $1325 per unit for OOS in 2017. Normal full time unit load is about 50, but varies. That number doesn’t include other fees so I would add another $5,000 to that. It will likely be slightly more this year. ~$70,000.

They just posted tuition rates. Scroll down on this link. OOS tuition is around 64k.

So this is probably just a result of me slipping into madness due to waiting so long, but I noticed that of the ~15 acceptances off the waitlist that have been posted here 2 have been from people who interviewed in 2018. I know that the people who interviewed really late where placed on the waitlist automatically before a decision was made but it still seems like an un-proportional amount of movement from 2019 interviewees. You think Wayne was more conservative with acceptances later in the cycle so now the most qualified people on the waitlist are those who interviewed after the new year?

I met two really cool dudes at my interview in Feb and we had striking similarities to each other (First wanted to do PT then switched over, from same city in southern ca, etc.). If you are on this thread please send me a message because I lost your contact info, thanks and hope all is well!

So this is probably just a result of me slipping into madness due to waiting so long, but I noticed that of the ~15 acceptances off the waitlist that have been posted here 2 have been from people who interviewed in 2018. I know that the people who interviewed really late where placed on the waitlist automatically before a decision was made but it still seems like an un-proportional amount of movement from 2019 interviewees. You think Wayne was more conservative with acceptances later in the cycle so now the most qualified people on the waitlist are those who interviewed after the new year?

Don’t psych yourself out too much. There’s still a whole ‘nother month to go. On the other hand, also don’t wait around either. Hope for the best, but always always prepare for the worst

So, anyone else having difficulties with immunizations? I have everything set except for Hep B. My titer showed no immunity (I recieved the full series many years back) . I got a booster and will get another titer in a few weeks. I’m hoping this issue is resolved before classes start on July 15. What happens if this issue is not resolved by then? Will i be able to enroll?

So, anyone else having difficulties with immunizations? I have everything set except for Hep B. My titer showed no immunity (I recieved the full series many years back) . I got a booster and will get another titer in a few weeks. I’m hoping this issue is resolved before classes start on July 15. What happens if this issue is not resolved by then? Will i be able to enroll?
Let’s just say we have a few second years in your same situation lol

Is it absolutely necessary to have a car here?
You will absolutely hate your life without one. If anyone on here tells you, you don’t need it, then they’re a sadist and truly don’t care for your mental health

Reactions: 2 users
You will absolutely hate your life without one. If anyone on here tells you, you don’t need it, then they’re a sadist and truly don’t care for your mental health
Haha, okay I will be keeping my car then.

(Full disclosure: Still on the waiting list)

Ugh! If I had to move over there (I'm OOS), I was hoping to not need to go through the hassle of getting a car, lol. Especially this late in the game, but I suspected it already since I researched the very little public transportation Detroit has (and I thought ours here at home is underwhelming). Is only having a bike on the same level of sadism as not having a car?

(Full disclosure: Still on the waiting list)

Ugh! If I had to move over there (I'm OOS), I was hoping to not need to go through the hassle of getting a car, lol. Especially this late in the game, but I suspected it already since I researched the very little public transportation Detroit has (and I thought ours here at home is underwhelming). Is only having a bike on the same level of sadism as not having a car?
Don’t get me wrong, you can get away with it for your first year IF someone in your group has a car. There’s kind of no way around that, unless you want to split costs for expensive uber rides. And a bike isnt so bad. But in the winter....idk. These drivers already can’t drive in the summer. I’m OOS as well, and first thing I did was made sure to get a car. It was the best decision that I ever made.

Also please bear in mind that the only official health foodstore in detroit Whole Foods. So unless you got it like that...On the other hand, we do have some local markets. But they’re generally way more expensive and will probably only carry 10% of what you really need. Most of us travel 10+ miles for food: Meijer’s, Costco, Asian Market, Target, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, you can get away with it for your first year IF someone in your group has a car. There’s kind of no way around that, unless you want to split costs for expensive uber rides. And a bike isnt so bad. But in the winter....idk. These drivers already can’t drive in the summer. I’m OOS as well, and first thing I did was made sure to get a car. It was the best decision that I ever made.

Also please bear in mind that the only official health foodstore in detroit Whole Foods. So unless you got it like that...On the other hand, we do have some local markets. But they’re generally way more expensive and will probably only carry 10% of what you really need. Most of us travel 10+ miles for food: Meijer’s, Costco, Asian Market, Target, etc.

Wait, the local markets are more expensive than Whole Foods?? I saw that there's a Trader Joe's too but is it all really limited like that? Dang.

Also: I remember you saying you had a plan ready to go in case you had to move fast. About when did you start planning? Now or more like mid-June? Thank you!

Wait, the local markets are more expensive than Whole Foods?? I saw that there's a Trader Joe's too but is it all really limited like that? Dang.

Also: I remember you saying you had a plan ready to go in case you had to move fast. About when did you start planning? Now or more like mid-June? Thank you!
LOL! Trader Joes is not by our school. You need a car to get there. It’s like a 15 min drive though, which isnt too bad. The local stores I was talking about are like Lafayette Foods and Food Pride. Not sure who they’re trying to sell food to with those prices.

And I honestly just looked up apartments, I’d like to move into and called up their leasing office. There’s a way for you to reserve a apot without signing a lease, but I didn’t do that (as I already put down a lease bc of another acceptance). Instead I spoke with the leasing agent, told him my situation, and then scrambled into an available spot as soon as possible

LOL! Trader Joes is not by our school. You need a car to get there. It’s like a 15 min drive though, which isnt too bad. The local stores I was talking about are like Lafayette Foods and Food Pride. Not sure who they’re trying to sell food to with those prices.

And I honestly just looked up apartments, I’d like to move into and called up their leasing office. There’s a way for you to reserve a apot without signing a lease, but I didn’t do that (as I already put down a lease bc of another acceptance). Instead I spoke with the leasing agent, told him my situation, and then scrambled into an available spot as soon as possible

Did you do the calling and spot reserving once you found out you got in or did you do it in advance so you had somewhere to go once you got Detroit?