Tetines of Paris

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2016
Oh? I did not know that was the case! Hmm, they have to go through the waitlist somehow...I'm not sure how they can do it and be fair to everyone, though. Maybe those people were fresh on the pile still?
I was told several months back that many many people make it off the waitlist at this school, and that most of them come before june, so maybe the admissions people will meet again in a week or so and have more time to go over us 2018 waitlisters;)
Can you please yell this into a hillside or canyon so it can go into the universe? Haha. Had a total freak out moment yesterday when I didn't get anything. Even more so when I saw someone on this thread who had literally the same profile/stats as me (except they were from Ohio and I'm in CA) say they got in in May. But hey, it's still early in May so perhaps? Ugh, I think April and now this time has been the worst waiting time :dead:

winorlearn

2+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2016
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Anyone know if we have a facebook page for WSUSOM Class of 2023, so we can make friends and also look for housing roommates?? If we do have one, can someone link it here please? THANKS!!

Reactions: hab924
Oct 19, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Reactions: winorlearn

hab924

2+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
What are the more popular/cheaper apartments that medical students tend to live in that are close to campus (within 15 mins)? I've been looking into a few, however I've been coming across some off-putting reviews. Please help :)

Reactions: Squirel_Boii
Jul 19, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Accepted yesterday! Mentions a follow-up email - anyone know when that should come by? Interviewed early March and was waitlisted within late March.

MedicineN'Jazz

calling all jazzites
2+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical, Medical Student
What are the more popular/cheaper apartments that medical students tend to live in that are close to campus (within 15 mins)? I've been looking into a few, however I've been coming across some off-putting reviews. Please help :)
Just off the top of my head: on campus (University Towers), off campus: The Pavillion, Riverfront Towers, Lafeyette Towers, Studio One, The Union

Reactions: hab924
Oct 3, 2018
I’ve been looking for several months now and have made several trips to Detroit to check out housing. Unfortunately, unless you live in a dump or have a shared space (roommates/housemates) you’re not going to find anything cheap within walking distance. If you want a livable 1 bedroom apartment, expect to pay $1000+ within walking distance. For 2-bedrooms you can find some nice ones for $1600ish but many have waitlists (studio 1). If you live downtown, you can find some relatively cheaper spots like Lafayette towers. The place I’m considering is Strathmore but it’s $1300+ for a 1-bedroom. Be cautious of the midtown postings online for $800, many are low-income apartments that we do not qualify for. If you need cheap housing, the best bet would be a shared space.

Reactions: mcjosh and hab924

MedicineN'Jazz

calling all jazzites
2+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2016
Status
I’ve been looking for several months now and have made several trips to Detroit to check out housing. Unfortunately, unless you live in a dump or have a shared space (roommates/housemates) you’re not going to find anything cheap within walking distance. If you want a livable 1 bedroom apartment, expect to pay $1000+ within walking distance. For 2-bedrooms you can find some nice ones for $1600ish but many have waitlists (studio 1). If you live downtown, you can find some relatively cheaper spots like Lafayette towers. The place I’m considering is Strathmore but it’s $1300+ for a 1-bedroom. Be cautious of the midtown postings online for $800, many are low-income apartments that we do not qualify for. If you need cheap housing, the best bet would be a shared space.
Lol 100% not true. OP, ask your questions on the Facebook page. A couple of M2s and M3s including myself have joined your class’s page to answer some of your questions. My friend is living off campus a couple of blocks away, and is paying high $800s with utilities a month. I believe he found the listing on Craigslist. So not the safest but...he loves the apartment

hab924

2+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Lol 100% not true. OP, ask your questions on the Facebook page. A couple of M2s and M3s including myself have joined your class’s page to answer some of your questions. My friend is living off campus a couple of blocks away, and is paying high $800s with utilities a month. I believe he found the listing on Craigslist. So not the safest but...he loves the apartment
I'll look at the FB page, thank you! :)

Oct 3, 2018
You may be able to find a few on Craigslist but high 800's a month isn't far from what I said. And I think that's more of an exception than the rule, I've contacted people on the facebook group and the 1-bedrooms within walking distance that I've seen range from $1k to as high as $2k (ellington). Most people I've contacted live in 2-3 bedrooms which makes rent much more bearable.

If it's easy to find places for under 1k, I'd honestly love advice for complexes to look into. I feel like I've exhausted most options for 1-bedrooms that are quiet and in good areas within walking distance.

MedicineN'Jazz

calling all jazzites
2+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2016
Status
You may be able to find a few on Craigslist but high 800's a month isn't far from what I said. And I think that's more of an exception than the rule, I've contacted people on the facebook group and the 1-bedrooms within walking distance that I've seen range from $1k to as high as $2k (ellington). Most people I've contacted live in 2-3 bedrooms which makes rent much more bearable.

If it's easy to find places for under 1k, I'd honestly love advice for complexes to look into. I feel like I've exhausted most options for 1-bedrooms that are quiet and in good areas within walking distance.
Remember this is a bargaining city. A lot of landlords next to the medical school are just now trying to rent out their space, but are crap at advertising. The only way you’d hear of these apts is practically through word of mouth. So it’s really really easy to bargain your way down.

Unfortunately, that’s hella work. So most people cough up the grand. My recommendation would be to look in the Grosse Pointe area. Detroit is a food dessert, so living next to the closest Traders Jose is a huge plus. And the drive is only about 20 mins away I think. Other than that, Royal Oak and Dearborn are also pretty common and close-by areas. I’d recommend against mexicantown though (as it’s pretty lively, a little run down apartment-wise, and 100% not quiet lol)

Kendren

2+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Do you guys think there will be more movement or has most of it already passed?

Dec 7, 2017
Remember this is a bargaining city. A lot of landlords next to the medical school are just now trying to rent out their space, but are crap at advertising. The only way you’d hear of these apts is practically through word of mouth. So it’s really really easy to bargain your way down.

Unfortunately, that’s hella work. So most people cough up the grand. My recommendation would be to look in the Grosse Pointe area. Detroit is a food dessert, so living next to the closest Traders Jose is a huge plus. And the drive is only about 20 mins away I think. Other than that, Royal Oak and Dearborn are also pretty common and close-by areas. I’d recommend against mexicantown though (as it’s pretty lively, a little run down apartment-wise, and 100% not quiet lol)
I just want to say that I really appreciate you supporting us through this thread. It's tough being waitlisted but everyone I've met at wayne, several alumni and student interviewer were nothing but supportive. Thank you. Hopefully I can join you guys this year.

Aug 21, 2018
January 28th interview here. I haven't heard a single person from our interview date get in. Do you think it's possible that our lack of a third interview has not been properly accounted fo
I don't think that should be an issue, it wasn't our fault, the weather was just bad.

Reactions: Xiuyuan
Aug 21, 2018
I was accepted a few days ago off the waitlist and I also interviewed on 1/28! It was a special circumstance and I doubt they’d hold it against us.
I'm wondering how do they rank people. I also interviewed on January 28th and I haven't heard anything yet. Did you send a LOI ?

MedicineN'Jazz

calling all jazzites
2+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2016
Status
I just want to say that I really appreciate you supporting us through this thread. It's tough being waitlisted but everyone I've met at wayne, several alumni and student interviewer were nothing but supportive. Thank you. Hopefully I can join you guys this year.
Thanks hun, hang in there. And for what it’s worth, I never got my acceptance email until June. So, definitely don’t give up hope. It’s still very early!

Tetines of Paris

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2016
I really feel the same way all throughout the interview day, which makes me want to go to the school even more (uh oh..)! LOL I reached out to a student for the Stay-Over-Program and while she couldn't accommodate me she still offered to meet up for dinner and ask her anything about Wayne/med school. I've never met this person in my life yet she still was willing to do that for me.

Yo, if I get in, I PROMISE I'm going to pay it forward

May 10, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
If I have already accepted a DO School acceptance which starts on June 5th, if I get into Wayne after classes start there can I drop that acceptance and just come to Wayne?

MedicineN'Jazz

calling all jazzites
2+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2016
Status
If I have already accepted a DO School acceptance which starts on June 5th, if I get into Wayne after classes start there can I drop that acceptance and just come to Wayne?
Legally? No
But in actuality......let’s just say that there hasn’t been a way for MD schools to find out which students have been accepted to their DO counterparts. What may happen though, is that your DO school will snitch when you drop your acceptance, and then you’ll be blacklisted from all medical schools. So, it’s really a gamble.

Not recommending this at all, but sometimes things happen. If you have to take a leave of absence from your DO school, and then later down the line decide that medical school isn’t for you...I mean, who could fault you for that? ;)

Wahed

Tilapia
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Just wanna make sure: no ones gotten financial aid info from Wayne yet?

When does this typically happen? I mean for Wayne but at all schools in general. Seems like we should have had this info before the April 30th deadline so people with multiple acceptances could make an educated choice?

Reactions: pronghorn89
Jul 24, 2018
Not really sure where med n jazz gathered that info from, maybe they have an inside scoop we dont, but in my opinion the MD and DO med schools are completely separate entities.. if a student starts school at an institution outside of AAMC and gets an acceptance to another school they would prefer to go to, no reason they'd be forced to attend the one school.. they're completely separate associations (even though it sucks the DO school will lose a student). could also ask wayne about it if they send you an acceptance after starting, if you want to be on the safe side but thats also a gamble since they might just say the professional thing and tell you that you shouldnt leave.

Reactions: fathergoat

MedicineN'Jazz

calling all jazzites
2+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2016
Status
Not really sure where med n jazz gathered that info from, maybe they have an inside scoop we dont, but in my opinion the MD and DO med schools are completely separate entities.. if a student starts school at an institution outside of AAMC and gets an acceptance to another school they would prefer to go to, no reason they'd be forced to attend the one school.. they're completely separate associations (even though it sucks the DO school will lose a student). could also ask wayne about it if they send you an acceptance after starting, if you want to be on the safe side but thats also a gamble since they might just say the professional thing and tell you that you shouldnt leave.
Medicine is a small world. Just because the schools don’t cross-talk, doesn’t mean the same applies for physicians. Also, Wayne’s policy is to withdraw students as soon as they begin orientation. So keep this information to yourself if you want to play the gambling game

winorlearn

2+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2016
Status
Hi everyone! Trying to figure some things out here and hoping Wayne is going to send out their financial aid stuff soon...How do I pull out loans that I have currently directed to another med school on FAFSA to transact to Wayne instead?

Feb 25, 2018
Just wanna make sure: no ones gotten financial aid info from Wayne yet?

When does this typically happen? I mean for Wayne but at all schools in general. Seems like we should have had this info before the April 30th deadline so people with multiple acceptances could make an educated choice?
I received my financial aid package from another MD school I was accepted at within a week of being accepted. Still haven’t received mine from Wayne, but they said their goal is to have them out by mid May. They also told me in February that they would be out by April so who knows. I think Wayne admin is particularly disorganized (I’ll probably end up going to Wayne still.)

Tetines of Paris

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2016
Has there been anymore movement since last week Tuesday?
I haven't gotten anything but the forum becomes very active with people sharing their acceptances. So definitely check your email if acceptances roll in here.

I would sort of expect Wayne to send out some acceptances once a week (at least that's what I would do if I wanted to get a solid matriculate number), but I wouldn't bet on it being consistently the same day.

Tetines of Paris

2+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2016
FYI Admissions Tracker updated to 433 Admission Offers. I didn't get anything and nobody is posting on here, so I guess it's just updated about the offers so far.

If anyone knows anything new or different, please feel free.

Feb 25, 2018
For OOS students, is there anyway to become in state after one year? Probably not cause that'd be too good to be true...
No. You need to establish residency before beginning school. If you’re starting with you OOS tuition then you’re finishing with OOS tuition. No way around that. Come up with a plan for the debt now.

Feb 25, 2018
Yea, I'm OOS here and it looks like it'll get to be pretty expensive :(
I
Spoke to fin aid office, they stated that the packages should be out by the end of the week, sounded more sure than other times the fin aid office has given any info out.
I don’t take anything they say seriously anymore. The phone operator probably just wanted to appease you for the time being while in the background they cartoonishly spilled a pile of spaghetti all over the computers that hold our financial aid information.

Reactions: Meerkat23
Mar 22, 2019
Status
Huh. I was kinda skeptical that waitlist movement really was slower this year, but last year's thread showed on May 22, 491 admissions offers went out. Maybe movement really is slow.

Reactions: Tetines of Paris
Mar 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I called the admissions office and they said because the tracker just went up admissions committee won't be meeting again until next month.
First of all, I love your username/avatar

Second...great....I'm going to be in Japan next month and it would be just my luck with my poor internet access that I'll miss an email from them :_

Reactions: imagiraffe
Mar 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone ever tried calling and asking where you are on the waitlist? My school's advising office mentioned doing this a few months ago, but I'm not sure if anyone has ever had any success with it