2018-2019 Wayne State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You may be able to find a few on Craigslist but high 800's a month isn't far from what I said. And I think that's more of an exception than the rule, I've contacted people on the facebook group and the 1-bedrooms within walking distance that I've seen range from $1k to as high as $2k (ellington). Most people I've contacted live in 2-3 bedrooms which makes rent much more bearable.

If it's easy to find places for under 1k, I'd honestly love advice for complexes to look into. I feel like I've exhausted most options for 1-bedrooms that are quiet and in good areas within walking distance.
Remember this is a bargaining city. A lot of landlords next to the medical school are just now trying to rent out their space, but are crap at advertising. The only way you’d hear of these apts is practically through word of mouth. So it’s really really easy to bargain your way down.

Unfortunately, that’s hella work. So most people cough up the grand. My recommendation would be to look in the Grosse Pointe area. Detroit is a food dessert, so living next to the closest Traders Jose is a huge plus. And the drive is only about 20 mins away I think. Other than that, Royal Oak and Dearborn are also pretty common and close-by areas. I’d recommend against mexicantown though (as it’s pretty lively, a little run down apartment-wise, and 100% not quiet lol)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
People who interviewed January 28th, have you heard something back yet?

Do you guys think there will be more movement or has most of it already passed?

Members don't see this ad :)
People who interviewed January 28th, have you heard something back yet?
January 28th interview here. I haven't heard a single person from our interview date get in. Do you think it's possible that our lack of a third interview has not been properly accounted for?

Remember this is a bargaining city. A lot of landlords next to the medical school are just now trying to rent out their space, but are crap at advertising. The only way you’d hear of these apts is practically through word of mouth. So it’s really really easy to bargain your way down.

Unfortunately, that’s hella work. So most people cough up the grand. My recommendation would be to look in the Grosse Pointe area. Detroit is a food dessert, so living next to the closest Traders Jose is a huge plus. And the drive is only about 20 mins away I think. Other than that, Royal Oak and Dearborn are also pretty common and close-by areas. I’d recommend against mexicantown though (as it’s pretty lively, a little run down apartment-wise, and 100% not quiet lol)
I just want to say that I really appreciate you supporting us through this thread. It's tough being waitlisted but everyone I've met at wayne, several alumni and student interviewer were nothing but supportive. Thank you. Hopefully I can join you guys this year.

Reactions: 1 users
January 28th interview here. I haven't heard a single person from our interview date get in. Do you think it's possible that our lack of a third interview has not been properly accounted fo
I don't think that should be an issue, it wasn't our fault, the weather was just bad.

I was accepted a few days ago off the waitlist and I also interviewed on 1/28! It was a special circumstance and I doubt they’d hold it against us.

I was accepted a few days ago off the waitlist and I also interviewed on 1/28! It was a special circumstance and I doubt they’d hold it against us.
I'm wondering how do they rank people. I also interviewed on January 28th and I haven't heard anything yet. Did you send a LOI ?

Yeah I sent one that also included an update (a small publication). Keep the faith it’s still early!!

I just want to say that I really appreciate you supporting us through this thread. It's tough being waitlisted but everyone I've met at wayne, several alumni and student interviewer were nothing but supportive. Thank you. Hopefully I can join you guys this year.
Thanks hun, hang in there. And for what it’s worth, I never got my acceptance email until June. So, definitely don’t give up hope. It’s still very early!

I really feel the same way all throughout the interview day, which makes me want to go to the school even more (uh oh..)! LOL I reached out to a student for the Stay-Over-Program and while she couldn't accommodate me she still offered to meet up for dinner and ask her anything about Wayne/med school. I've never met this person in my life yet she still was willing to do that for me.

Yo, if I get in, I PROMISE I'm going to pay it forward

Members don't see this ad :)
If I have already accepted a DO School acceptance which starts on June 5th, if I get into Wayne after classes start there can I drop that acceptance and just come to Wayne?

If I have already accepted a DO School acceptance which starts on June 5th, if I get into Wayne after classes start there can I drop that acceptance and just come to Wayne?
Legally? No
But in actuality......let’s just say that there hasn’t been a way for MD schools to find out which students have been accepted to their DO counterparts. What may happen though, is that your DO school will snitch when you drop your acceptance, and then you’ll be blacklisted from all medical schools. So, it’s really a gamble.

Not recommending this at all, but sometimes things happen. If you have to take a leave of absence from your DO school, and then later down the line decide that medical school isn’t for you...I mean, who could fault you for that? ;)

Just wanna make sure: no ones gotten financial aid info from Wayne yet?

When does this typically happen? I mean for Wayne but at all schools in general. Seems like we should have had this info before the April 30th deadline so people with multiple acceptances could make an educated choice?

Not really sure where med n jazz gathered that info from, maybe they have an inside scoop we dont, but in my opinion the MD and DO med schools are completely separate entities.. if a student starts school at an institution outside of AAMC and gets an acceptance to another school they would prefer to go to, no reason they'd be forced to attend the one school.. they're completely separate associations (even though it sucks the DO school will lose a student). could also ask wayne about it if they send you an acceptance after starting, if you want to be on the safe side but thats also a gamble since they might just say the professional thing and tell you that you shouldnt leave.

Not really sure where med n jazz gathered that info from, maybe they have an inside scoop we dont, but in my opinion the MD and DO med schools are completely separate entities.. if a student starts school at an institution outside of AAMC and gets an acceptance to another school they would prefer to go to, no reason they'd be forced to attend the one school.. they're completely separate associations (even though it sucks the DO school will lose a student). could also ask wayne about it if they send you an acceptance after starting, if you want to be on the safe side but thats also a gamble since they might just say the professional thing and tell you that you shouldnt leave.
Medicine is a small world. Just because the schools don’t cross-talk, doesn’t mean the same applies for physicians. Also, Wayne’s policy is to withdraw students as soon as they begin orientation. So keep this information to yourself if you want to play the gambling game

Hi everyone! Trying to figure some things out here and hoping Wayne is going to send out their financial aid stuff soon...How do I pull out loans that I have currently directed to another med school on FAFSA to transact to Wayne instead?

Just wanna make sure: no ones gotten financial aid info from Wayne yet?

When does this typically happen? I mean for Wayne but at all schools in general. Seems like we should have had this info before the April 30th deadline so people with multiple acceptances could make an educated choice?
I received my financial aid package from another MD school I was accepted at within a week of being accepted. Still haven’t received mine from Wayne, but they said their goal is to have them out by mid May. They also told me in February that they would be out by April so who knows. I think Wayne admin is particularly disorganized (I’ll probably end up going to Wayne still.)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
welp just applied to a bunch of jobs as a backup if this waitlist thing doesn't work out

I have withdrawn my acceptance from the waitlist (OOS, LM ~70). Interviewed in March. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Spoke to fin aid office, they stated that the packages should be out by the end of the week, sounded more sure than other times the fin aid office has given any info out.

Reactions: 6 users
Has there been anymore movement since last week Tuesday?

I haven't gotten anything but the forum becomes very active with people sharing their acceptances. So definitely check your email if acceptances roll in here.

I would sort of expect Wayne to send out some acceptances once a week (at least that's what I would do if I wanted to get a solid matriculate number), but I wouldn't bet on it being consistently the same day.

Reactions: 2 users
FYI Admissions Tracker updated to 433 Admission Offers. I didn't get anything and nobody is posting on here, so I guess it's just updated about the offers so far.

If anyone knows anything new or different, please feel free.

FYI Admissions Tracker updated to 433 Admission Offers. I didn't get anything and nobody is posting on here, so I guess it's just updated about the offers so far.

If anyone knows anything new or different, please feel free.

Yikes, if it's anything like last year, there's only ~100 admission offers left :(

Are merit based scholarships common at Wayne? If so, what are the chances that someone with highish stats would get anything over 5k/yr?

For OOS students, is there anyway to become in state after one year? Probably not cause that'd be too good to be true...

For OOS students, is there anyway to become in state after one year? Probably not cause that'd be too good to be true...
No. You need to establish residency before beginning school. If you’re starting with you OOS tuition then you’re finishing with OOS tuition. No way around that. Come up with a plan for the debt now.

Yea, I'm OOS here and it looks like it'll get to be pretty expensive :(
I
Spoke to fin aid office, they stated that the packages should be out by the end of the week, sounded more sure than other times the fin aid office has given any info out.
I don’t take anything they say seriously anymore. The phone operator probably just wanted to appease you for the time being while in the background they cartoonishly spilled a pile of spaghetti all over the computers that hold our financial aid information.

Did anyone get a call for the May 6th scholarship? Did they offer any scholarships at all on that day?

I called the admissions office and they said because the tracker just went up admissions committee won't be meeting again until next month.

I called the admissions office and they said because the tracker just went up admissions committee won't be meeting again until next month.

First of all, I love your username/avatar

Second...great....I'm going to be in Japan next month and it would be just my luck with my poor internet access that I'll miss an email from them :_

Has anyone ever tried calling and asking where you are on the waitlist? My school's advising office mentioned doing this a few months ago, but I'm not sure if anyone has ever had any success with it

Has anyone ever tried calling and asking where you are on the waitlist? My school's advising office mentioned doing this a few months ago, but I'm not sure if anyone has ever had any success with it

I also asked them if the waitlist was ranked or tiered and I was told it wasn't.

I also asked them if the waitlist was ranked or tiered and I was told it wasn't.

Trying to figure out whether this a good thing or a bad thing. Good because it probably gives me a better chance. Bad because it will take them LONGER to decide?

*sigh* (mini rant): Man, I'm really getting tired of this waiting. I'm a clinical research coordinator and while we're currently training a back-up (the back-up doesn't know that I may actually leave), I really just want this set in stone. Like yes, I'm leaving so here's ALL the training you need to do. Instead of a little bit here and there. It's already gonna be embarrassing for me to not get in and have my manager & co-coordinator know. Not to mention, that I need to figure out whether I'm gonna have to cut my hours for my post-bacc classes (do I start in summer or wait until fall?).

Anyway, I'm sure many of you are having similar feelings of frustration so I'll just say thank you for the space and bow out for today.

Trying to figure out whether this a good thing or a bad thing. Good because it probably gives me a better chance. Bad because it will take them LONGER to decide?

My guess would be it's still separated demographically. If they they're looking to replace a spot for a candidate with X experiences and Y background they may have it piled that way. However, this is just my stab in the dark guess.

*sigh* (mini rant): Man, I'm really getting tired of this waiting. I'm a clinical research coordinator and while we're currently training a back-up (the back-up doesn't know that I may actually leave), I really just want this set in stone. Like yes, I'm leaving so here's ALL the training you need to do. Instead of a little bit here and there. It's already gonna be embarrassing for me to not get in and have my manager & co-coordinator know. Not to mention, that I need to figure out whether I'm gonna have to cut my hours for my post-bacc classes (do I start in summer or wait until fall?).

Anyway, I'm sure many of you are having similar feelings of frustration so I'll just say thank you for the space and bow out for today.

We all hear you and share in your frustrations. I only wish this was more like the college application process where you could apply early action and they would get back to you sooner.

I just started my job as a medical scribe, and I am still in the training phase until the end of the month. I feel bad because if it is june or july before I get my acceptance they will have to start all over again and train someone new, and in the meantime be short one scribe. On the other hand, if I do not get in then all these Beaumont-affiliated doctors (beaumont owns a really nice medical school that I interviewed at this past cycle but was rejected from) know I am a failure and need to reapply...that doesn't look good for asking for letters of recommendation

We all hear you and share in your frustrations. I only wish this was more like the college application process where you could apply early action and they would get back to you sooner.

I just started my job as a medical scribe, and I am still in the training phase until the end of the month. I feel bad because if it is june or july before I get my acceptance they will have to start all over again and train someone new, and in the meantime be short one scribe. On the other hand, if I do not get in then all these Beaumont-affiliated doctors (beaumont owns a really nice medical school that I interviewed at this past cycle but was rejected from) know I am a failure and need to reapply...that doesn't look good for asking for letters of recommendation
Don’t sweat it. It will only not look good if you weren’t doing anything to improve on your application, so scribing is certainly a good thing. Reapplying also shows your commitment and perseverance.

In my experience, doctors like to root for and see their scribes succeed. I'm sure after working with them for a while (if it even comes down to that) they'll write you a likely bomb letter.

Accepted off waitlist!!!

Congratulations! Could we please have all future posts of people accepted off the waitlist include pertinent information including interview date/waitlist date, LOI sent/not sent, stats, IS/OS, method you were contacted by, etc. so this can be informative for everyone?

Congrats again! :)

Last edited:
January 28th interview here. I haven't heard a single person from our interview date get in. Do you think it's possible that our lack of a third interview has not been properly accounted for?
I was accepted off the waitlist on 05/07 after interviewing on 01/28. Best of luck! There's still a couple months left!

Just got of the waitlist at my state school, I will be removing myself from the waitlist. Hope you guys hear something soon! Glad to not have to keep refreshing this page

Just withdrew my acceptance! Good luck to everyone still waiting

Last edited:
Just got accepted here off of the waitlist. Interviewed early October, OOS.