2018-2019 Wayne State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
called the office today and they said they are expecting a "fair amount of movement" off the waitlist? Good sign maybe? Someone else wanna call and confirm this...

Man, I just wish were given dates! Like in some Texas med schools (public?), they basically have a Match Day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Have admitted students heard back from financial aid yet? Does anyone have an idea at least of what their award package would look like? I can't find information on their website about the amounts that most students get and the combo of scholarship and loans etc.

Has anyone who's tried to withdraw from the waitlist heard back? I'm not sure if they received my message. I sent the update through the portal.

I would probably email them and ask for a reply in the form of an email confirmation. Email is checked way more often than the portal.

Members don't see this ad :)
At Wayne, do you have to pay for tuition for summer months? I presume no, but I wanted to check.

This is the week waitlist friends! Big Movement Energy!!! I believe!

Reactions: 10 users
Just withdrew from here, good luck to everyone waiting!

Reactions: 5 users
Last year's thread had a lot of people getting accepted off the waitlist May 1st/May 3rd. The end of this week looks bright! Here's hoping guys.

still radio silence... was hoping to hear back today about a decision :( waitlist life....

Reactions: 4 users
still radio silence... was hoping to hear back today about a decision :( waitlist life....

My stomach has been a crap show post-interview back in December, LOL. At first I dreaded the idea of getting a rejection this spring but I now lowkey wish for a swift merciful end if that's the case instead of waiting until when school starts for a rejection. Man...I want to get all of this over with :(

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that no one has posted that they’ve gotten off the waitlist means they probably haven’t met yet to decide. Which is the only thing keeping me going LOL. Hurry up already Wayne....

Reactions: 3 users
My stomach has been a crap show post-interview back in December, LOL. At first I dreaded the idea of getting a rejection this spring but I now lowkey wish for a swift merciful end if that's the case instead of waiting until when school starts for a rejection. Man...I want to get all of this over with :(
I totally get how you feel. Sometimes it feels like I’d rather have them tell me already if I didn’t get in rather than being in limbo for so long. But, let’s think positive though. The race isn’t over yet! We’re still in the running. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Just Withdrew from the waitlist. Good luck to all those waiting! May you see movement soon =)

Has no one heard? Wow, I am well and truly surprised that Wayne is biding its time....And to our loss, because how long do I need to wait before I start working on next cycle's application? God I really need to start that... :|

Has anyone called the office recently? If not, I will in the morning.

I called two days ago and they weren’t very forthcoming with information. Just said the committee hasn’t met yet. Depends on who you get someone will say they expect fair movement some will say they don’t have that info available to disclose

Does anyone have any idea when they'll send out financial aid information?

Has no one heard? Wow, I am well and truly surprised that Wayne is biding its time....And to our loss, because how long do I need to wait before I start working on next cycle's application? God I really need to start that... :|
I would start working on it now. I know someone who got into Wayne from the Waitlist the week before first day of classes and had applied already for the next cycle.
It can be very long and I wouldn't gamble at this level.

There's absolutely no reason for med schools to have such poor transparency. There's no reason they shouldn't list how many waitlist applicants they expect to take, there's no reason they can't send an email to each applicant indicating their relative position on the waitlist like other schools do. So many things that frustrate me about this process and personally for me, the "not knowing limbo state" I've been in since interviewing in the fall is almost worse than just being flat out rejected so I can move on and prepare for next cycle.

I would start working on it now. I know someone who got into Wayne from the Waitlist the week before first day of classes and had applied already for the next cycle.

JFC. We all know medical school is an enormous privilege and opportunity but at the same time, I feel like this process really exploits students' desperation. And then when we burn out or want to put things on pause before the next cycle (because we sure AF don't want to do this all over again), there's almost an impression we're not "driven enough." Sigh.

There's absolutely no reason for med schools to have such poor transparency. There's no reason they shouldn't list how many waitlist applicants they expect to take, there's no reason they can't send an email to each applicant indicating their relative position on the waitlist like other schools do. So many things that frustrate me about this process and personally for me, the "not knowing limbo state" I've been in since interviewing in the fall is almost worse than just being flat out rejected so I can move on and prepare for next cycle.

PREACH!

Like I mentioned here, I PHYSICALLY have been affected by this. Every since my interview in December (I can't imagine if it was back in Fall), I've had stomach/digestion problems, nausea, and rashes almost every day. I haven't taken a vacation because I'm terrified of wasting money that I may need if I end up being someone who gets accepted with no time to get my bearings together or if I have to do expensive post-bacc **** for the next cycle. This limbo state is terrible and I echo your sentiments.

And yo, other schools let you know all that info? I didn't know that! Bruh...

JFC. We all know medical school is an enormous privilege and opportunity but at the same time, I feel like this process really exploits students' desperation. And then when we burn out or want to put things on pause before the next cycle (because we sure AF don't want to do this all over again), there's almost an impression we're not "driven enough." Sigh.

I feel you; I was only able to apply to in-state schools like Wayne b/c it is too expensive for me to attend out of state. However, if I have to re-apply, I need to apply to more than just the med schools in MI b/c those were not enough to secure even one admission. To send out my primaries will cost upwards of $800, and I don't really want to have to do that if Wayne will come knocking a few weeks later. Med school is my dream and calling, I do not want to do anything else with my life, but this "investment" I am making beforehand is incredibly draining in more ways than one.

I know....I've been hired as a Scribe and am going through training for that rn in case I do not get in this cycle, and it is taking up a lot of my time on top of finals and graduation. Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to start my AMCAS 2020 application I go :(

Everyone here should hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Don’t lose your chill... Best of luck!

I feel you; I was only able to apply to in-state schools like Wayne b/c it is too expensive for me to attend out of state. However, if I have to re-apply, I need to apply to more than just the med schools in MI b/c those were not enough to secure even one admission. To send out my primaries will cost upwards of $800, and I don't really want to have to do that if Wayne will come knocking a few weeks later. Med school is my dream and calling, I do not want to do anything else with my life, but this "investment" I am making beforehand is incredibly draining in more ways than one.

I am currently a couple years post-undergrad. My family lost our home and jobs while I was in college, and I currently can't afford to NOT work full-time because literally myself, my dad, and mom would be on the street. I can't put them down as dependents on my taxes so I've gotten no financial aid for AMCAS, MCAT, etc. And I live in California so state schools aren't even an option for us. I definitely feel you when it comes to the cost of applying and how we just can't do EVERYTHING at once to be the perfect med school applicant. I knew this process was going to be stressful, frustrated, and draining (I saw people go through this) but I didn't think it was going to be to this extent. #solidarity

I am currently a couple years post-undergrad. My family lost our home and jobs while I was in college, and I currently can't afford to NOT work full-time because literally myself, my dad, and mom would be on the street. I can't put them down as dependents on my taxes so I've gotten no financial aid for AMCAS, MCAT, etc. And I live in California so state schools aren't even an option for us. I definitely feel you when it comes to the cost of applying and how we just can't do EVERYTHING at once to be the perfect med school applicant. I knew this process was going to be stressful, frustrated, and draining (I saw people go through this) but I didn't think it was going to be to this extent. #solidarity

I wish you the best of luck and hope that this year will be our year :)

PREACH!

Like I mentioned here, I PHYSICALLY have been affected by this. Every since my interview in December (I can't imagine if it was back in Fall), I've had stomach/digestion problems, nausea, and rashes almost every day. I haven't taken a vacation because I'm terrified of wasting money that I may need if I end up being someone who gets accepted with no time to get my bearings together or if I have to do expensive post-bacc **** for the next cycle. This limbo state is terrible and I echo your sentiments.

And yo, other schools let you know all that info? I didn't know that! Bruh...
Yeah, there are schools that will send out waitlist position such as "You are in the TOP/MIDDLE/BOTTOM THIRD of our wait list . . ." which would be super nice to know because there's definitely going to be a lot of waitlist movement from the new rules and with a big class size there's going to be a fair chunk of acceptances from the top third.

Reactions: 2 users
I just don't understand why med schools can't at least internally rank the waitlist before April 30, so when April 30th comes, they push a button and people get notifications of acceptance as spots open.

Today is May 3rd... based on last years' threads some schools didn't have waitlist movement until mid May. for people who have been waiting for almost 1 year hear anything, even 1 day can makes a difference. At least you can know you need to reapply.

I just don't understand why med schools can't at least internally rank the waitlist before April 30, so when April 30th comes, they push a button and people get notifications of acceptance as spots open.

Today is May 3rd... based on last years' threads some schools didn't have waitlist movement until mid May. for people who have been waiting for almost 1 year hear anything, even 1 day can makes a difference. At least you can know you need to reapply.
Did someone call the admission ?

Has anyone called the office recently for updates on WL movement?

Yeah, there are schools that will send out waitlist position such as "You are in the TOP/MIDDLE/BOTTOM THIRD of our wait list . . ." which would be super nice to know because there's definitely going to be a lot of waitlist movement from the new rules and with a big class size there's going to be a fair chunk of acceptances from the top third.

How do the new rules affect waitlist movement at all?

Has anyone called the office recently for updates on WL movement?

On the last page I think someone said they called and the representative they spoke to said there would be "fair" waitlist movement...no word on when

How do the new rules affect waitlist movement at all?

In past years, all schools got a report that detailed who was accepted where. Because schools like to offer spots to people who are most likely to attend, schools in the past may not have offered an acceptance to someone who they saw was accepted to Harvard already. This year, schools waitlisted way more applicants because they didn’t have that report. Much more waitlist movement is expected to happen this year because of it.

Anyone hear anything about the 5/6 merit and need scholarships? Could only be a few people or maybe theyre waiting until the end of the day...

Anyone hear anything about the 5/6 merit and need scholarships? Could only be a few people or maybe theyre waiting until the end of the day...

When I got my waitlist email, I got it around 5:30-6P EDT; Idk if anyone can second that, but I think maybe they wait until the end of the day (which is incredibly ironic b/c I kept getting interview emails from them at like 3am :p)

Does someone have any type of information for potentially a day for movement in the waiting list?

When I got my waitlist email, I got it around 5:30-6P EDT; Idk if anyone can second that, but I think maybe they wait until the end of the day (which is incredibly ironic b/c I kept getting interview emails from them at like 3am :p)

Just out of curiosity, I checked mine again (ugh I hate seeing that email, haha) and I actually got it at 3:00 PST. So I guess they sent them out around the same time?

July 15. The M1 schedule is already up
Can you provide a link to the schedule?
I called admissions and registrar. The administration seems to be trying hard to fulfill their reputation of being 'difficult.' They had to patch me through 3 different offices before they confirmed that, "July 15 is orientation and breakfast. We have no other information. We don't have the schedule yet. It's still really early to have the info."

I also called the financial aid office about award packages. Two months ago they said award packages would be sent by April. Today they had no answers, general timeline, or the vaguest idea about anything. Struggling with admin to obtain basic info before school even begins is not a good first impression. Beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Does someone have any type of information for potentially a day for movement in the waiting list?

In this thread, people have tried calling and nobody gets a solid answer. The best we have so far is when movement happened last year, which was supposed to be last Friday. It looks like in general, schools see wait list movement around mid-May :shrug:

Can you provide a link to the schedule?
I called admissions and registrar. The administration seems to be trying hard to fulfill their reputation of being 'difficult.' They had to patch me through 3 different offices before they confirmed that, "July 15 is orientation and breakfast. We have no other information. We don't have the schedule yet. It's still really early to have the info."

I also called the financial aid office about award packages. Two months ago they said award packages would be sent by April. Today they had no answers, general timeline, or the vaguest idea about anything. Struggling with admin to obtain basic info before school even begins is not a good first impression. Beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Huh, that's interesting: I found a google calendar link on their website; I had to go through the curriculum page, and then M1 schedule, and the google calendar link was there. It shows up properly on my Mac, the days/times line up with the year and what current M1s say their schedule was like, so I assume it is correct.

This was Saturday I think when I checked

Update:

FOUND IT!!! MWAHAHHAH

Last edited:
Never heard of these, "the 5/6 merit and need scholarships." Can you clarify?
Oh, someone a few pages back said there would be another round of merit scholarships released today, May 6th. It seems as if that information was faulty.