2018-2019 West Virginia University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
me too II- waitlist OOS

Reactions: 1 user
secondary submitted 6/29 and casper in june . Disappointing as the first submitted become WL for II.

Would those who received news today mind listing secondary submission/complete date? :)
Secondary complete 6/2, took CASPer in June (but my scores were just released to schools yesterday)

OOS Interview waitlist, complete 7/2/18.

Anyone know if there is any movement for this? Had a bunch of these last cycle and nothing ever came of them.

I got waitlisted for an interview. Is this a silent rejection? Anyone in past year have experience with this? They also don't have my committee letter yet.

"Thank you for your application to WVU School of Medicine. Your primary and secondary applications have been favorably reviewed, and you have been placed on our waitlist for an interview. As our number of strong applicants has increased to a record level and our available interview dates are limited, we will need to contact you at a later time, if and when an interview slot becomes available. Please continue to check your email for any updated information regarding this status."

How many waitlists did you have last cycle? I was waitlisted for II too and I hope it's not a silent rejection.

OOS Interview waitlist, complete 7/2/18.

Anyone know if there is any movement for this? Had a bunch of these last cycle and nothing ever came of them.

Looks like it's all II waitlisting today, I still have radio silence on my end. From that message, it sounds like maybe their interview spots are filled up to a certain point? Kinda vague

Members don't see this ad :)
II waitlist as well!
Also curious on the movement/what to expect from this!

Hey everyone, just letting you know that WVU waitlists almost all of their OOS apps who have a shot. Rarely any OOS get accepted or invited to interview this early on. So expect some of the waitlists to prosper into invites

Reactions: 9 users
I was in a similar situation as I could have written about my familiarity with a certain Central American country (not so much in the language, I can get by most of the time but I wouldn’t be considered Fluent by any means) OR write about my serious passion of doing the things an NFL scout would do (following & evaluating college athletes throughout the season, evaluating team needs, following the combines, making mock drafts, etc.).

I chose the latter as it has been a piece of me far longer and I knew I could write and talk about it in a much more passionate, meaningful way. I think for this question one of the things they like to see (of many) is what you’re really passionate about outside of medicine. So for you, being a freelance makeup artist seems to hit that home.

Edit: I just realized you wrote this last Wednesday. I just wanted to add you can’t go wrong with either topic! Whatever you choose, just be sure you can write and talk about it passionately!
Not to worry! Thank you for the detailed response. I would have recommended the NFL option as well, as it is something you can speak on extensively. I too went with my freelance option, just as you suggested. I like how it turned out!

This is interesting, I have never heard of being waitlisted to interview! Haven't heard anything either way from WVU yet. OOS with a secondary app submitted 7/2 and confirmed 7/5.

not true. They have an almost 20% OOS interview rate. This is almost the highest % of public schools.
Yes but the person said they have no ties to the state. I believe a large majority of OOS students getting accepted have ties.

Yes but the person said they have no ties to the state. I believe a large majority of OOS students getting accepted have ties.

20% of the OOS applicants are have a strong enough application to get an II and have ties to the state? That is extremely unlikely.

EDIT: I was told to apply here from a postdoc in my lab who did research at WVUSOM. He said there were a ton of OOS (california specifically) medical students with absolutely zero ties to the state.

20% of the OOS applicants are have a strong enough application to get an II and have ties to the state? That is extremely unlikely.

EDIT: I was told to apply here from a postdoc in my lab who did research at WVUSOM. He said there were a ton of OOS (california specifically) medical students with absolutely zero ties to the state.
Sorry then, I must be misinformed.

it's cool. Most public schools are as you described.
OK thanks guys. I guess ill apply, am definitely interested. Im from NY and interestingly, according to MSAR, they did not accept any OOS applicants from my area.

I'm confused, I submitted my secondary and got email conformation that it was submitted- but there was never anywhere that asked for my credit card info or anything to pay the fee? Is it actually submitted..?

In-state ED applicant just received II today! I’m so pumped!!! Good luck to everyone out there waiting to hear back!!

Primary submitted: 6/5
Primary verified: 6/5.....not even 45 minutes later!
Secondary received: 6/29
Secondary submitted: 7/10 (I was a little slow writing them and I had my heavy work week then)

Edit: I noticed a lot of CASPER talk in this forum and I thought I would mention that I did not take the CASPER. Also, in my meeting with WVU about applying ED they told me CASPER results would not be used to determine acceptances unless two candidates were nearly identical. So take that as you will!

Last edited:
for my OOS friends that have absolutely no ties, how the hell did you go about answering the "why west Virginia?" question lol

for my OOS friends that have absolutely no ties, how the hell did you go about answering the "why west Virginia?" question lol
If you're interested(even a sliver of interest) in rural medicine thats your angle

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else get waitlisted today? Kind of a bummer, but not exactly sure what to make of it (OOS)

OOS confirmed on 7/5, still haven’t heard anything

Rejected today after submitting secondary on Jul 2, I am OOS btw!!

+1. Confirmed 7/5. Also bummed out to be honest. Not sure what this means or how this waitlist gets used.

At WVU, it’s not uncommon for OOS applicants to get waitlisted either pre- or post-interview. There tends to be good movement for pre-interview waitlist to get an interview and post-interview waitlist movement is dependent on year.

Verified today, received secondary today. Does WVU screen?

WVU does not screen. It was my first secondary.

Per 2018 MSAR...
'Secondary application sent to Select applicants are offered a link to secondary application via secure email'

Haven't heard back yet from them...submitted secondary a while ago.