2018-2019 West Virginia University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
its based on word count, not character count!
haha omg you are so right - I've definitely written so many that my brain is not working anymore - thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II this morning, Complete 8/10, Interview Scheduled for 11/30, LM 69, OOS some ties to area

Reactions: 1 users
II waitlist :(
LizzyM = 67-68

Anyone know what's the likelihood of an interview? Seems like this is a soft rejection.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't know about WVU, but the interview waitlist is most generally a soft rejection at MOST schools. They didn't utilize the interview hold last cycle, and if they did, not nearly to the same extent as this year.

Don't know about WVU, but the interview waitlist is most generally a soft rejection at MOST schools. They didn't utilize the interview hold last cycle, and if they did, not nearly to the same extent as this year.

Yeah I figured. I doubt schools II will not fill.

Yeah I figured. I doubt schools II will not fill.
Want to say the interview hold is just in case they can't fill those interviews or lose a lot of the class towards the end of the cycle. Still at that point, most schools have an extensive waitlist list that will be able to fill those spots.

Want to say the interview hold is just in case they can't fill those interviews or lose a lot of the class towards the end of the cycle. Still at that point, most schools have an extensive waitlist list that will be able to fill those spots.

So it's basically a soft rejection then

The medical school application process and cycle has become much more brutal than when I applied.

Hang in there, guys. That's all I can say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone submit a secondary and not get a confirmation email that it was received? The portal says payment accepted and form submitted successfully....

II x 2 this morning
Me: LizzyM 77, OOS, weak ties, complete 8/14
Twin bro: lizzyM 76, OOS, weak ties, complete 8/13

II this morning. 3.97 gpa. 511 mcat. OOS with weak to no ties. Bordering state, KY.
For the OOS interviewers, are yall interviewing main campus or regional? Im thinking main considering, at least in my state, the regional campuses seem to be more focused on their mission. Is this the case with WVUSOM? Ive looked at their website and cant see where they explicitly say that "regional campus x is focused on primary care" or whatnot. Just talks about their residencies. Although i assume considering the residencies there are primary careish that the focus would be primary care?

II today, LizzzyM 73, OOS (bordering state though), some connections to WV, complete August 7th.

II today! First MD interview invite, LizzyM of about 66. Application completed here 8/14. From a bordering state, can't wait to interview here!!

Hi is anyone who is interviewing at this school planning to UBER from Morgantown to Pittsburgh or vice versa? I am interviewing on the 9/27 but thinking about ubering from Morgantown to Pittsburgh after the interiew day is over to catch a flight back home.

II this morning. 3.97 gpa. 511 mcat. OOS with weak to no ties. Bordering state, KY.
For the OOS interviewers, are yall interviewing main campus or regional? Im thinking main considering, at least in my state, the regional campuses seem to be more focused on their mission. Is this the case with WVUSOM? Ive looked at their website and cant see where they explicitly say that "regional campus x is focused on primary care" or whatnot. Just talks about their residencies. Although i assume considering the residencies there are primary careish that the focus would be primary care?
MS3 here replying just in case others are curious. The general mission of all campuses is to train people to serve in to Appalachia region.

Our school do have accelerated primary care track but it is not the focus (especially Charleston and Morgantown)

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

II today!! First one of the cycle, does anyone know if there's a deadline to choose an interview day? I'm a CAN applicant so I'll have to coordinate with flights and time off work.

Rejected just now. Complete 08/22. OOS.

What are some pros/cons of each campus? I can't find much info on Charleston vs Morgantown vs Eastern on the website besides Eastern being a community hospital.

What are some pros/cons of each campus? I can't find much info on Charleston vs Morgantown vs Eastern on the website besides Eastern being a community hospital.
In my opinion:
Morgantown: more specialty research opportunity readily available but less good experience for surgery rotation.

Charleston: Good if you want to do procedural specialty like gen surg. Surg faculty is extremely helpful and nice. However, IM and EM seems to not be as strong. Also, need to be more proactive in finding research project.

Eastern: very strong preventive and diabetic clinic. Very good primary care faculty. However, seems to lack sub specialty exposures and research opportunity for competitive specialty.

In my opinion:
Morgantown: more specialty research opportunity readily available but less good experience for surgery rotation.

Charleston: Good if you want to do procedural specialty like gen surg. Surg faculty is extremely helpful and nice. However, IM and EM seems to not be as strong. Also, need to be more proactive in finding research project.

Eastern: very strong preventive and diabetic clinic. Very good primary care faculty. However, seems to lack sub specialty exposures and research opportunity for competitive specialty.

Thank you so much! That's basically what I assumed, and I really needed to know if there was a huge difference between M and C. So, if I'm looking into EM, then Morgantown would be my best option?

Thank you so much! That's basically what I assumed, and I really needed to know if there was a huge difference between M and C. So, if I'm looking into EM, then Morgantown would be my best option?
I would recommend Morgantown. I can't say EM in Charleston is not good but I can tell you the EM attendings in Morgantown is very good.

did everyone get a confirmation email after completing the secondary? Because I did not ;o

Did anyone who did get waitlisted for II (back in early August) get off the waitlist and got an interview?

The medical school application process and cycle has become much more brutal than when I applied.

Hang in there, guys. That's all I can say.
Quick question, how useful is the block in year 2 that prepares you for Step I

The materials given to you are about 90% relevant to step 1. Most people who do well in class score well on step.

What the person above me said. I was thoroughly pleased with our entire MS2 curriculum and exam situation. We also take a bunch of official subject exams at the end of second year to prepare us for Step 1, not many schools do that. It's pretty awesome.

What the person above me said. I was thoroughly pleased with our entire MS2 curriculum and exam situation. We also take a bunch of official subject exams at the end of second year to prepare us for Step 1, not many schools do that. It's pretty awesome.
Thanks I forgot to ask during my interview

Did anyone receive a complete email after applying?
I only got an email after submitting.

517 and 3.94, not sure what you mean by complete?
Ohhh nice stats. congrats!!!

I also submitted on 8/28 but they only sent me an email about confirming the receipt of my secondary application on 9/6

Thanks :) I got the receipt on 08/28 so they're probably still reviewing your app! Good luck fam. If it means anything, I took 6 weeks to complete the secondary.
Ahaha thank you for words of encouragement. I can’t wait to hear back from them. Lastly, I hope your interviews go well!

Email just now, placed on waitlist for interview.
LM 68

Last edited:
Gets interview. SCREAMS “TAKE ME HOME COUNTRY ROAD TO THE PLACE I BELONG”

Reactions: 2 users