2018-2019 Wright State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
250 characters each

1. Was there a gap between achieving your last degree and expected matriculation into medical school? If so, please describe how you used this time. If not, please enter "not applicable".

2. Would you describe yourself as a non-traditional candidate for medical school (For example, a career change)? If so, please explain why. If not, please enter "not applicable".

3. What ties do you have to the state of Ohio in general, Dayton, Ohio or Wright State University in particular? If none, please enter "not applicable".

4. Briefly describe any extenuating circumstances (ie. Poor grades, withdrawn courses, life events) which you feel may be pertinent to your application. If none, please enter "not applicable".

Interview Feedback: Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Essays/Survey Questions from the last application cycle:

Was there a gap year between achieving your last degree and expected matriculation into medical school? If so, please describe how you used this time. If not, please enter “not applicable”. (250 characters)

Would you describe yourself as a non-traditional candidate for medical school? Is so, please explain why. If not, please enter “not applicable”. (500 characters)

What ties do you have to the state of Ohio in general, Dayton, Ohio or Wright State University in particular? If none, please enter “not applicable”. (250 characters)

Why did you choose to apply to Boonshoft School of Medicine? (500 characters)

Reactions: 1 user
They have not changed these questions for the last 4 years, so most likely they remain the same this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
The more I look into this school, the more I love it! Does anyone know how the clerkship patient population is? I'm interested in working with underserved patients

I am so excited to finally be able to apply to Boony. I drive by this school nearly every week and every time I imagine myself pulling in for class.

Good luck to everyone applying! I hope to meet some of you here in 2019!

Received 7/3 at 10:52 am MST
250 characters each

1. Was there a gap between achieving your last degree and expected matriculation into medical school? If so, please describe how you used this time. If not, please enter "not applicable".

2. Would you describe yourself as a non-traditional candidate for medical school (For example, a career change)? If so, please explain why. If not, please enter "not applicable".

3. What ties do you have to the state of Ohio in general, Dayton, Ohio or Wright State University in particular? If none, please enter "not applicable".

4. Briefly describe any extenuating circumstances (ie. Poor grades, withdrawn courses, life events) which you feel may be pertinent to your application. If none, please enter "not applicable".

So it looks like no "why this school" essay this cycle.

@gyngyn

Reactions: 1 users
I was confused by the competencies section and listing our activities. How did other people tackle this? For some it was straight forward (research) but for others it wasn't (reliability). I would love any advice/feedback
Thanks!

I was confused by the competencies section and listing our activities. How did other people tackle this? For some it was straight forward (research) but for others it wasn't (reliability). I would love any advice/feedback
Thanks!
I just included whatever was even kinda related to that. Like reliability in volunteering cuz I was given a certain job or responsibility.

Just complete this app! Their interface is amazing! This is by far the easiest secondary application I've ever filled out!

Anyone know how early interview invites have gone out in the past?

Just complete this app! Their interface is amazing! This is by far the easiest secondary application I've ever filled out!

If I’m thinking of the correct secondary, this is the same interface that AACOMAS uses I believe. At least, it looked that way haha.

Not sure how early is typical, but last year my friend didn't get one until the spring and wound up getting an acceptance. So hearing nothing isn't necessarily bad.

Is there a strict OOS pre-secondary screen?

Not sure how early is typical, but last year my friend didn't get one until the spring and wound up getting an acceptance. So hearing nothing isn't necessarily bad.

That's good to hear! You know how the waiting game is, just curious when I should start checking my email 50 times a day. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Marked complete today, secondary submitted 7/5/18.

Nope. There is no portal to check on interview status right?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah I don't believe there's anywhere on the portal to check your status. If there is, I don't know how to find it

Anyone receive interview invite yet?
I am OOS and wonder if they have instate interviews first.

I have no ties to the area. Would answer "not applicable" on this question puts me in big disadvantage?

I have no ties to the area. Would answer "not applicable" on this question puts me in big disadvantage?
I have the same question for some of the schools in Michigan that I am applying to. I have no ties other than they are in the Midwest and I want to go to school in the Midwest.

I doubt any of us knows how individual medical schools will look at OOS people. The best way would probably be to contact them and ask

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

There's not enough space to write anything Q_Q

Completed all my questions on the secondary, but unable to click "submit and pay". Anyone have the same problem? How to fix it?

Completed all my questions on the secondary, but unable to click "submit and pay". Anyone have the same problem? How to fix it?
Yea, you need to answer all the question. Write “not applicable,” instead of leaving questions blank

I had trouble when I used my American Express card to submit and pay although it offers that card as an option. But, when I switched to a different card I had no problem. So, you might try switching payment methods and see if that is what is causing issues.

Yea, you need to answer all the question. Write “not applicable,” instead of leaving questions blank
You're awesome. "Not applicable" is the answer. Thanks!

For competencies, can you use the same experience for multiple things?

Verified Aug 3rd, Secondary Invitation Aug 6th!

Secondary application completed! Good luck, everyone!

Is there a reason why the OOS accepted applicant stats are so low for this school compared to the IS accepted applicants? I am OOS and have stats above the 75th percentile for both GPA and MCAT, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it to apply. Anyone have any advice?

Is there a reason why the OOS accepted applicant stats are so low for this school compared to the IS accepted applicants? I am OOS and have stats above the 75th percentile for both GPA and MCAT, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it to apply. Anyone have any advice?
Wright State is a state school that heavily favors IS people and that is something an adcom member told me as well. They don't really care that much about stats but they prefer people who would stay in Ohio and fit their school's mission

Anyone else having trouble logging on to the applicant portal?

Yeah, apparently once you input your amcas ID and email then they will email you within 24 hours so you can access the secondary. However I haven't gotten the email yet

Yeah, apparently once you input your amcas ID and email then they will email you within 24 hours so you can access the secondary. However I haven't gotten the email yet
Ive already completed the 2ndary (7/24), but now when I try and load the portal, I get a message saying: "An error has occurred. Please contact support or try again."

I was having the same issue and contacted the number in the original secondary invite email. They said that many people are having similar problems with creating an account with this interface. I would give that number a call so they can put your name down and email you when the issue has been resolved!

Wright State is a state school that heavily favors IS people and that is something an adcom member told me as well. They don't really care that much about stats but they prefer people who would stay in Ohio and fit their school's mission

Do you know if it is worth applying as OOS with no ties to Ohio other than a few relatives that live there?

What is the competencies section? Are these extra essays in addition to the secondary?

There's no real essays on this. They give you a list of your activities you put on amcas and ask you to check off the ones that fulfill certain competencies of their school. For a simplified example something like service you can check off and volunteering activities from your amcas.

Thanks!
I am confused re: inputting classes. If i was a bio major, and have many bio classes, should I include all of them? Or just the Bio 1 and 2 with mandatory labs I took freshman year?