2019-2020 A.T. Still University (Kirksville, Missouri) ATSU-KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else who interviewed on 11/8 not heard anything?

Has anyone else who interviewed on 11/8 not heard anything?
Yes, it’s killing me haha. I imagine it won’t be next week either with thanksgiving. No news is good news I suppose.

Reactions: 1 users
I have an interview with the 11:45 am - 5:00 pm slot. Does anyone know if the interview ends before 5 pm? I'm trying to plan my flight.

I have an interview with the 11:45 am - 5:00 pm slot. Does anyone know if the interview ends before 5 pm? I'm trying to plan my flight.
I interviewed in the afternoon and the majority of us were out by 4:45. I think it was just two of us left at 4:45 but it probably differs. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how to withdraw your application from this school? I was looking for info on the portal but couldn't find anything-do I just send an email?

Does anyone know how to withdraw your application from this school? I was looking for info on the portal but couldn't find anything-do I just send an email?

Could probably do a formal email or phone call! I cancelled at another school via email which was what they recommended.

For those who have received an II, what was the turn around time from getting the complete email to getting an II?

For those who have received an II, what was the turn around time from getting the complete email to getting an II?
I was marked complete and got an interview invite the same day. Was complete 10/21 and scheduled my interview that same day if it helps.

My timeline was ~ 14 days between being complete and receiving an II. However, this was back in early July!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi y’all! For those who attended the interview, what was the dress attire for the reception the night before?

Are they always this fast with accepting people for II?
I was complete 10/1 and still waiting on II. Should I email them? I see people getting IIs the same day after being complete and I am starting to wonder if they forgot about my application?

I was complete 10/1 and still waiting on II. Should I email them? I see people getting IIs the same day after being complete and I am starting to wonder if they forgot about my application?
Depends what your stats are.

I have a 500 Mcat and 3.8 GPA. My Mcat is low I know but I thought maybe my GPA would at least help me get an II?

Have you been marked complete? If so, I'd wait. Still peak season. They likely stratify apps based on different things like GPA, MCAT, IS/OOS, URM, military, etc and will eventually get to yours.

Have you been marked complete? If so, I'd wait. Still peak season. They likely stratify apps based on different things like GPA, MCAT, IS/OOS, URM, military, etc and will eventually get to yours.
Yes I was marked complete 10/1

Hi y’all! For those who attended the interview, what was the dress attire for the reception the night before?
It's business casual so dress shoes, slacks, and a button-down. The reception is pretty chill though so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Interviewed 11/8 and accepted today!

Reactions: 4 users
How was it overall? High stress low stress?
Interviewed last cycle, I would say that in the beginning your nerves set in to you actually stress yourself out because, well it’s a med school interview lol. They’re just asking you questions about your app. And there’s some conversation in there, just be calm and know your app

Overall, it was very low stress. We hit it off in the beginning, talking about where we were from/favorite baseball teams, and it flowed from there. They have general questions about your application, so I would concur with Dan and know your app well. Be polite, be personable, and know your app! I think my interviews with KCOM were some of my favorite ones.

Reactions: 2 users
Same as above, my favorite interview I went to. All 3 were very conversational. My admission member had a sheet of paper out and had notes from my app and specific questions and took notes during the interview. They truly do want to see how you are as a person.

tl;dr low stress, fun interview, didn't feel like there were right/wrong answers just that they wanted to know me

I'll add that KCOM was the only school I interviewed with where the interviewer actually bothered to know my app--which made me feel more comfortable. I was used to:

Primary: "List all the things you've done"
Secondary: "Write even more about the things you've done"
Interviewer: "So tell me about things you've done"

Whereas the other post's comment about the interviewer having notes about my app and taking notes during the interview was truly delightful, plus then he could ask more personable questions which are easier to respond to I feel.

Anyone from the 11/22 interview hear anything yet? just getting antsy haha..

Depends on if you're in the morning or afternoon session. If you're in the morning, you get the interview out of the way first. If you're in the afternoon, it's the last thing you do. I'd say going through Kirksville the day before and really conversing with the students who host the reception gives you a good idea how the interview will go. It's super laid back and the people who guide you around (both students and admins) are very down to earth. The interviewers don't grill you for answers, although it may feel like it because of the stress haha. But seriously you have nothing to fear, they ease you into the questions they want to ask you and it doesn't feel intimidating at all to take a pause to think about the answers you want to give. YMMV on how much your interviewer knows about your app (non-trad/did a lot), but I've never been in a non-MMI interview before lol. I did feel special interviewing there, they really take care of you :)

Also, I'd say the other interviewees with you are pretty like-minded. I had no issues being the real me around them as opposed to other schools I went to - probably shows how much ATSU looks into your app.

Reactions: 3 users
This might be a long shot, but I want to start thinking about where I want to end up if (by God's grace) I am accepted to both KCU-Joplin and ATSU. I loved both of the programs when I interviewed, but there are a couple of things that I didn't ask at ATSU that I realized would help me in the decision.
-What are the potential employment opportunities for spouses in Kirksville?
- Does tuition increase at all throughout the years, or does it remain the same from year one on?

I also would love any input from others who have experience at both campuses and could give me some insight as to why you chose one over the other. In terms of ATSU, I love the more established program compared to KCU, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't much more established... Thanks in advance!

It's so weird, I actually thought I did really well. Whatever, slightly butt hurt, but i'm heading to KCU this fall anyways.
I know im in the wrong forum for this but how long after your interview did you hear back from KCU? i'm still waiting and interviewed 11/22.