2019-2020 Chicago Med at Rosalind Franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!! When were you waitlisted? I havent heard anything since the Dec email.
But good to know that theres some movement :)
I got the W in early feb!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Got in off the waitlist today! Anyone know what my odds are of hearing about financial aid before april 30? I am not even seeing forms to fill out

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got in off the waitlist today! Anyone know what my odds are of hearing about financial aid before april 30? I am not even seeing forms to fill out
Congrats! When were you waitlisted? I was waitlisted in December and hoping for the same news

Also is there a second look day for this school?

Both 2nd look days have passed (one in-person in February, one online in March). The April 18th Second look for RFU does not include CMS, but it does go over RFU overall, if you're interested in attending.

The sign-up link has expired, but you should be able to email them to join?

Congrats! I emailed them a few days ago and they said financial aid info doesn’t come out till mid-May at the earliest. I asked if they could try to have it ready before April 30, so people with multiple acceptances can make a decision. They said that they can’t speed it up anymore than that :(

Accepted!!

Interviewed and waitlisted in February, OOS, LM 70.9. First A...I'm overwhelmed. :happy:

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Accepted students, join the FB group and join us for the Zoom meetup this weekend to meet some fellow acceptees!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Just withdrew my acceptance, hope it goes to one of you great applicants!

Reactions: 4 users
I have heard and read that in past years, RFU has been unable to fill their medical school class seats. Is this true? If so, will they accept applicants who haven't interviewed?
... I highly doubt that, most likely the spots will go to those on the waitlists. I have a feeling the RFU waitlists are probably pretty extensive - anyone know for sure?

I have heard and read that in past years, RFU has been unable to fill their medical school class seats. Is this true? If so, will they accept applicants who haven't interviewed?

I’m not sure where you would have heard this, but there is simply no way it is true. RFU might be considered “low tier,” but they are still a US MD school and receive ~11,000 applications each year. There’s no way they are having issues filling their class.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm curious where you heard this. I can assure you that no one has been accepted without an interview. They receive 12k+ applications per year for about 190 seats. They have never had trouble filling a class.

Does anyone know the general percentage of applicants on the waitlist that will get accepted?

Reactions: 3 users
The 2019 entering class had 189 students. The current facebook group for class of 2024 has 139 people in it. I'm sure that not everyone who has decided to attend is in the group, so I'm sure there's more people than that. Accounting for about 10 people from the group, since there's some school admin and current M1s in the group, I would estimate that maybe 130ish people currently accepted a spot for RFU? That's a ROUGH ROUGH ROUGH estimate, though, but I can imagine that some okay waitlist movement can still happen.

Accepted! Interviewed in October, and waitlisted in February. Very grateful for RFU's process and transparency.

Accepted off the waitlist today! Interviewed in late January, waitlisted in Feb. First MD acceptance, so this just about sums up my emotions right now:

P.S. I got an email with a "check your portal for a status update," so I was like 50% expecting a post-II rejection lol. I guess that's how they send the post-WL A's though!

I'm pretty sure that's how they notify all As, even those that don't come from a WL lol. I remember also expecting the worst. CONGRATULATIONS!

• Love
Can I still withdraw my acceptance after paying deposit and signing the declaration of intent? Thank you. Its not binding, isnt it?
Yes, and as long as its before April 30th, you'll get your deposit refunded! Source: I just did it lol

Withdrew! I hope one of you fantastic people get my spot. Good luck guys!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted off the waitlist!!!! First MD acceptance so I am ecstatic. Interviewed early November, waitlisted in December.

Reactions: 9 users
Also accepted off the waitlist today (Sept. interview) but will be withdrawing. Best of luck to everyone!

I am a resident that is moving out of state this summer. My current place is near the med school and will be up for rent if anyone is interested. It's in the northern suburbs near the medical school. 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths. Walking distance to a train station that heads in to the city. Walking distance to gyms, movie theater, restaurants, coffee shops, parks, etc.

It's a good deal and a nice place, send me a private message for specifics.

Also, even if you aren't interested in the place, feel free to message me if you have questions about the northern suburbs in general.

Just withdrew my application from the alternate list. Good luck everyone!

Did you just email the admissions office that you were withdrawing?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yes, I emailed the admissions office and Zachary Rowe. I got an automated reply saying they will try to reply in 2 days due to them working remotely/covid.

Accepted off the wait list about an hour ago and I have accepted the offer! I interviewed in September. 508 MCAT 3.9 GPA. I took the MCAT three times and this is my third time applying. It's been a long, hard road to get to this point, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Accepted from the waitlist at 11:45 AM (CST). GPA 3.67 MCAT 517. Interviewed 9/10. First MD acceptance. Im over the moon. This thread was my lifeline throughout the entire process, so thank you for everything!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Accepted from the waitlist at 11:45 AM (CST). GPA 3.67 MCAT 517. Interviewed 9/10. First MD acceptance. Im over the moon. This thread was my lifeline throughout the entire process, so thank you for everything!!!!
Congrats! Did they call you or send an email?

Question for admitted students (congrats!): when is the school deadline to select Commit to Enroll from Plan to Enroll on AMCAS?

Question for admitted students (congrats!): when is the school deadline to select Commit to Enroll from Plan to Enroll on AMCAS?

I emailed them a couple days back, they mentioned that they plan on sending out an email with specifics about that to accepted students sometime this upcoming week.

I emailed them a couple days back, they mentioned that they plan on sending out an email with specifics about that to accepted students sometime this upcoming week.
Thanks! I checked MSAR, and it shows July 12 as the Commit to Enroll deadline

holy ****, accepted off the alternate list. 515 MCAT + 3.5 sGPA + 3.75 cumulative GPA
first A of the cycle

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Guys it happened! I got accepted off the alternate list! First and only acceptance. Didn’t think it was possible after being rejected at lots of DO and MD schools but I’m finally going to be a doctor!!! If it can happen for me, it can happen for anyone. I was just starting to reapply when I got the A today.

Edit: Interviewed early December and WL late December.

Last edited:
  • Love
Accepted yesterday afternoon off the alternate list! OOS, interviewed late November, WL in late December.

First acceptance of the cycle :)

Reactions: 2 users
Got an email this morning saying the deadline for CTE is July 21.

Folks who were just accepted, mind sharing stats? On the alternate list and trying to figure out where I stand :)

withdrew my acceptance. hope one of y'all get it!

Reactions: 4 users
Current student here if anyone wants to know a little more about the school! Overall I am really happy with RFU. Feel free to send me a pm. Good luck to everyone!

Another current student checking in. I am finishing M3 year now and am also happy to answer any questions. Particularly about clinical years as the curriculum has changed since I went through.

Another current student checking in. I am finishing M3 year now and am also happy to answer any questions. Particularly about clinical years as the curriculum has changed since I went through.

How have your clinical experiences been? I know RFU doesn't have its own hospital but rather a bunch of community connections for rotations. Do you feel like not having a home program is a significant barrier?

How have your clinical experiences been? I know RFU doesn't have its own hospital but rather a bunch of community connections for rotations. Do you feel like not having a home program is a significant barrier?

This is a fantastic question, because it was my biggest concern when I decided to come here. I'm going to tag @kraskadva to see if she wants to give a response for a second perspective.

I think there are two parts to your question.

1. How have my clinical experiences been?

2. Is not having a home program a significant barrier?

1. My clinical experiences have been great. When I compare them to my friends who went to other schools, they are pretty comparable. We don't have our own hospital, but our clinical partner are overall pretty good. Our strongest partner is the Advocate Health system or at Stroger which is pretty solid. There are definitely strengths and weaknesses. I think our 3rd year EM rotations are particularly good and we tend to match a lot of EM.

The commute is the obvious downside. I did most of my rotations at an Advocate hospital that is very close to my house (like 15 minutes), so I've been really lucky with commute times, but some people get less lucky than I did. I did have one month where I commuted over an hour and that sucked.

The biggest upside is that the classes above you write reviews about the sites, so you know what you are signing up for. For example, do you want to do OBGYN? Great, we have two sites that are great for it and will give you good experience, but they will work you hard. Do you think that birth is kinda yucky? Great, we have sites with more reasonable hours where you will get time to study. I picked an easy surgery site but a very demanding pediatric and EM sites, because those were more interesting to me. For FM I ranked based on proximity to my house.

The biggest downside is that you might get unlucky and have to commute a lot. We also don't really have 3rd year electives, though I've heard that may be changing.

tl;dr - I'm pretty happy with my rotations. It's been much less of an issue than I was worried it would be.

2. Yes and no. I don't think it is a major barrier to most students. We have access to most specialties and we match well every year. You might need to do an extra away during 4th year to get letters, but for most people it's not a big issue. The real downside is that there isn't as much of a safety net for borderline students. From what I understand, a lot of schools will hold spots for their own graduates who might not be quite up to par to keep them from going unmatched. For the most part, we don't have that luxury. We do have two IM programs and a Psych program that always take a few of our own students, but that's it. tbh, COVID has made things weird for our class and I wouldn't mind more home programs. For the most part I think it's not a barrier for most students.

Since most students study from home anyways, do you think it would be worthwhile to live closer to the Medical Loop or Northwestern (say around the Wheeling area) if we’re interested in getting involved with clinical research from MS1-2?

I'm probably not the best person for this question. I'm not from Chicagoland and I happily lived in Navy housing M1 and M2 years. I did research over the summer of M1-M2 year, but haven't done much other than that. I know several people who did research downtown over the summer between M1 and M2 years and lived in an air BnB for those months. I have classmates I can think of who lived in Rogers Park, Niles, downtown, or even Milwaukee during M1 or M2 year. It is possible to live in the medical loop, but the commute is definitely not worth it for most people. It would not have been worth it for me.

For general housing questions. I lived in Navy and would recommend it. @kraskadva lived in Woodlands. If anyone has more specific questions about either one.

Reactions: 2 users