2020-2021 Chicago Med at Rosalind Franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looking at MSAR, they have a less than 3% interview rate for OOS students. What exactly are they looking for? Avg age is old too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could one of you please post prompts? Waiting for my primary to get verified so I’m trying to pre-write as much as possible!!

Could one of you please post prompts? Waiting for my primary to get verified so I’m trying to pre-write as much as possible!!
Same as last year!

Please discuss challenges in your journey thus far to medical school. (150 words)
Please specially discuss how, if admitted to our program, your admission would contribute to the diversity of the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science community. (150 words)

Reactions: 1 user
+Another OOS

I’m assuming everyone else has “-AMCAS2021” after their AAMC ID number?

should I delete that before submitting or leave it because that’s how it appeared initially when I logged in?

Members don't see this ad :)
+Another OOS

I’m assuming everyone else has “-AMCAS2021” after their AAMC ID number?

should I delete that before submitting or leave it because that’s how it appeared initially when I logged in?
I deleted that portion and just put my ID number..

Reactions: 1 users
I left the ID the way it came up and my application submitted just fine /shrug.

Does anyone know if Rosalind Franklin pre screens before sending secondaries? I'm leaning towards not since it seems like they just sent out a mass invite to people.

Same as last year!

Please discuss challenges in your journey thus far to medical school. (150 words)
Please specially discuss how, if admitted to our program, your admission would contribute to the diversity of the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science community. (150 words)

@TheDataKing

Also, the prompts are both optional.

I left the ID the way it came up and my application submitted just fine /shrug.

Does anyone know if Rosalind Franklin pre screens before sending secondaries? I'm leaning towards not since it seems like they just sent out a mass invite to people.

they do not pre-screen. If you look up the general question “do medical schools pre-screen” there’s an official AAMC document that comes up which says if a school does any form of screening before secondaries

did anyone's Supplemental still have the red X next to it on the Application Checklist, after submitting?

It does say it may take up to 2 days to update, but was just curious

did anyone's Supplemental still have the red X next to it on the Application Checklist, after submitting?

It does say it may take up to 2 days to update, but was just curious
yes, but when I clicked on it, it said "submitted."

hey all! so most other schools I'm applying to have a prompt somewhere along the lines of "tell us about a stressful situation / challenge / time you failed." for these I've written about a challenge I experienced in a previous job, and what it taught me. Rosalind is the only school I'm applying to that phrases the question to be about challenges specifically regarding your "journey to medical school."

the challenge I've been using for other schools did not necessarily affect my journey to med school, since it was only a part-time job that I worked to help pay off student loans. I'm also lucky enough to have a relatively stable home life and source of family income, great education all throughout my life, etc. so my question is, would it be okay to use the same essay I'm doing for the other prompts? or should I try to come up with something specific to the med school journey, even though I feel I've had a blessed life overall and that there isn't much I would change about my journey thus far?

hey all! so most other schools I'm applying to have a prompt somewhere along the lines of "tell us about a stressful situation / challenge / time you failed." for these I've written about a challenge I experienced in a previous job, and what it taught me. Rosalind is the only school I'm applying to that phrases the question to be about challenges specifically regarding your "journey to medical school."

the challenge I've been using for other schools did not necessarily affect my journey to med school, since it was only a part-time job that I worked to help pay off student loans. I'm also lucky enough to have a relatively stable home life and source of family income, great education all throughout my life, etc. so my question is, would it be okay to use the same essay I'm doing for the other prompts? or should I try to come up with something specific to the med school journey, even though I feel I've had a blessed life overall and that there isn't much I would change about my journey thus far?
You should answer the question directly. Did you have a pre-med advisor who told you, you're not smart enough to be a doctor? Do you have a non-supportive parent/partner? Did working interfere with your studies? Were you in a car accident that prevent you from attending class? Were you shy when you started college and had to overcome that to be more active on campus? The challenges don't have to be life-altering, but should be relevant to the prompt.

Edit: I also just realized that this essay is optional so you can always leave it blank.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
You should answer the question directly. Did you have a pre-med advisor who told you, you're not smart enough to be a doctor? Do you have a non-supportive parent/partner? Did working interfere with your studies? Were you in a car accident that prevent you from attending class? Were you shy when you started college and had to overcome that to be more active on campus? The challenges don't have to be life-altering, but should be relevant to the prompt.

Edit: I also just realized that this essay is optional so you can always leave it blank.

Agree with what you said but I’d suggest OP really try to find a solid example to fit the prompt. With this school being low yield as it is Id assume you wanna do what you can to stand out in a positive way. Of course if there really is nothing they can think of that’s suitable then they should leave it blank rather than bs it

Are we able to save our application? I don't see an option to save.

Has covid-19 impacted your medical school journey in any way? Family members sick? Lost opportunities for volunteering/shadowing/etc.? Covid-19 has impacted pretty much everyone at some level, so maybe talk about that.

Can I address my poor early academic record in this prompt? Or does that look back? I know it's referring to medical school, and it doesn't give any other box to explain poor grades/lapses in academic career?

At the same time, I don't wanna come across as not having any life experience lol. This isn't the adversity essay necessarily is it?

Thanks guys, all super helpful input! I might be able to relate the anecdote I've been using to how it's helped on the journey to med school... Before this job position I was pretty shy/introverted, but the job was heavy on talking to people and made me come out of my shell. It's also good to know that the essay is optional though because I don't want to sound like I'm bs-ing anything. The only way COVID really affected me was not being able to shadow this summer, so I could casually mention that, but don't think it made a huge difference in my overall application.

Can I address my poor early academic record in this prompt? Or does that look back? I know it's referring to medical school, and it doesn't give any other box to explain poor grades/lapses in academic career?

At the same time, I don't wanna come across as not having any life experience lol. This isn't the adversity essay necessarily is it?
I feel your confusion, I think the way they phrased this question is so different compared to what schools usually ask for. If you address poor grades the right way though, that could be a great essay! Maybe focus on the underlying situation of what was going on, and the strategies you used to improve/grow from it?

I don’t see why you wouldn’t. Life happens, don’t ever turn down a reason to explain something that would otherwise get you overlooked when they have thousands of applications to comb through. Unless you’ve already explained it somewhere else like in your personal statement you really have no other opportunity to put context to the grades.

Looking at MSAR, they have a less than 3% interview rate for OOS students. What exactly are they looking for? Avg age is old too.

The low interview rate is due to the sheer number of applications they receive each year (mostly from OOS). The classes are usually about 50% OOS, with the largest number of students from California and other Midwestern states.

The age thing is more due to the number of non-trads. CMS is very non-trad friendly. The majority of students are in their early to mid twenties when they start. There are quite a few of us in our 30s dragging that average up higher than others schools. It's great news if you are a non-trad, doesn't change much if you aren't.

It's hard to say exactly why some people are offered interviews and others aren't. Having something unique that sets you apart from the mountain of applicants is your best bet. Good luck this year!

The low interview rate is due to the sheer number of applications they receive each year (mostly from OOS). The classes are usually about 50% OOS, with the largest number of students from California and other Midwestern states.

The age thing is more due to the number of non-trads. CMS is very non-trad friendly. The majority of students are in their early to mid twenties when they start. There are quite a few of us in our 30s dragging that average up higher than others schools. It's great news if you are a non-trad, doesn't change much if you aren't.

It's hard to say exactly why some people are offered interviews and others aren't. Having something unique that sets you apart from the mountain of applicants is your best bet. Good luck this year!

Yay for us 30 ish year old non trads! Gives me some hope lol.

Has anyone been marked as complete yet at Rosalind?

Has anyone been marked as complete yet at Rosalind?
both the secondary and MCAT have a check mark so is that considered complete? I dont see a place where I can see the actual status

both the secondary and MCAT have a check mark so is that considered complete? I dont see a place where I can see the actual status

Yea that's complete. Still waiting for that confirmation.

Actually just got an email saying it’s complete. Says to allow them 3-4 wks to audit everything before moving to initial review

+2

Also wait they’re saying 3-4 weeks just to make sure everything is there? I sure hope they start some reviews during this next month lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually just got an email saying it’s complete. Says to allow them 3-4 wks to audit everything before moving to initial review
+3, which I found interesting since I haven't taken the MCAT yet and don't have a score

Received that auditing email yesterday and a complete email this morning. so not really 3-4 weeks lol

Anyone else having issues with submitting payment? I've tried two different cards and they aren't going through

Anyone else having issues with submitting payment? I've tried two different cards and they aren't going through
It was really slow when I did it, at least a minute or two. I would be careful submitting more than once because it can charge you multiple times, and you (most likely) won't get a refund.

It was really slow when I did it, at least a minute or two. I would be careful submitting more than once because it can charge you multiple times, and you (most likely) won't get a refund.
I just tried 3 different cards and they all declined. I think it might be an issue on their site, I'll try again later :shrug:

Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?

Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?
no, unfortunately. Not receptive to updates. However, this is a different situation so I'd recommend emailing directly to the admissions office.

Current student here if anyone has questions! feel free to PM me. Good luck!

App complete and ready for review
Submitted it 7/15