2019-2020 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary Prompt:
Have you lived in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)

Have you worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged and/or educationally disadvantaged populations? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)

After residency, do you plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community? (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)

Please provide below any additional information you believe is important in evaluating your application (e.g. additional coursework, problems with academic record; disadvantaged, etc.) (Please indicate, Yes or No and then explain/describe briefly in 250 words or less)
Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Howard University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm already speaking this acceptance into existence! Class of 2024 come through though!!! Praying for the best!!!!:soexcited:

Reactions: 15 users
This is definitely a dumb question but though I'd ask anyway to be sure.

HU emailed me today stating the complete file will only be considered once all materials are in, secondaries will be sent from 8/2019-1/2020, and if I don't have a secondary invite 2 weeks after verification to email the admissions department regarding the status.

Anyway, I was confused by the above as 2 weeks from now takes us to mid 7/2019, which is still 2 weeks prior to when they said they were sending secondaries. Is this normal?

Edit: I was dumb. Got further clarification from their site. Per the site - "The HUCM Admissions office will receive notification when your application has been verified. Shortly after, all applicants will receive an email titled “FROM HOWARD U COLLEGE OF MEDICINE—VERIFICATION OF AMCAS APPLICATION" stating that the application is complete. The first Invitation to complete the HUCM secondary will be mailed on or about August 15. "

Thought I would include the above in case anyone else ran into the same confusion as me.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IMG_4457.JPG
Just got their email verifying they received my primary application with the email subject, “FROM HOWARD U COLLEGE OF MEDICINE - AMCAS Primary Application Received-Verified”

Of course Howard has to run on CPT by sending their secondary in August lol

Reactions: 16 users
Prayers up for everyone applying! Believing for the best for everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
I got a random email from them 8/1 and all it said was "Anytime." Thought it was the secondary at first, was thoroughly confused.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Haven't heard anything from them since saying they would give our secondaries starting in August back in June

This is definitely a dumb question but though I'd ask anyway to be sure.

HU emailed me today stating the complete file will only be considered once all materials are in, secondaries will be sent from 8/2019-1/2020, and if I don't have a secondary invite 2 weeks after verification to email the admissions department regarding the status.

Anyway, I was confused by the above as 2 weeks from now takes us to mid 7/2019, which is still 2 weeks prior to when they said they were sending secondaries. Is this normal?

Edit: I was dumb. Got further clarification from their site. Per the site - "The HUCM Admissions office will receive notification when your application has been verified. Shortly after, all applicants will receive an email titled “FROM HOWARD U COLLEGE OF MEDICINE—VERIFICATION OF AMCAS APPLICATION" stating that the application is complete. The first Invitation to complete the HUCM secondary will be mailed on or about August 15. "

Thought I would include the above in case anyone else ran into the same confusion as me.

Haven't heard anything from them since saying they would give our secondaries starting in August back in June

I posted earlier last month that they sent me an email that secondaries will be sent 8/15/19. This forum has everyone neurotic AF lol.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know how strict Howard is on their requirements? I only have 5 credit hours for organic chemistry and their website says 8 are needed. I took biochemistry instead (4 credits) because my premed advisor said that was more helpful for the medical school curriculum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how strict Howard is on their requirements? I only have 5 credit hours for organic chemistry and their website says 8 are needed. I took biochemistry instead (4 credits) because my premed advisor said that was more helpful for the medical school curriculum.

Call them. For some schools prereqs, if you can make a case for satisfying that prereq they've been shown to count it. I know that biochemistry can sometimes make up for lack of orgo 2, but it really depends on the school, so contacting them is the only concrete way to know.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm already speaking this acceptance into existence! Class of 2024 come through though!!! Praying for the best!!!!:soexcited:
yes, I would be so excited to get accepted to Howard!!

Reactions: 3 users
For anyone that is in the same situation, I just called Howard and asked about fulfilling Orgo II with biochemistry and they said they do not accept this. She suggested taking orgo II online to fulfill. Guess I will not be submitting my secondary (unless I take orgo II which TBH, I have no desire to). Good luck!

Did anyone receive a secondary today? It's August 15th....

Well, if they haven't sent secondaries by now, it at least gives me more time to procrastinate writing answers to their secondary prompts.

Reactions: 7 users
This cycle is really confusing me. Tulane's basically exhausted 90% of their interview slots and Howard is a week late on sending secondaries.

So I called admissions and they said they're still "tweaking" things on their secondary so it'll be a little bit longer before they send them.

Reactions: 6 users
So I called admissions and they said they're still "tweaking" things on their secondary so it'll be a little bit longer before they send them.

I hope that doesn’t mean they’re changing the questions RIP to my prewritten essays lol

WOOOW so they haven't sent any secondaries? And I just spent the time to write it smh.

soo.. is it worth it to pre-write, or are they just gonna play us and change the questions :cautious:

Reactions: 1 user
soo.. is it worth it to pre-write, or are they just gonna play us and change the questions :cautious:

I just went back and looked at the prompts from last year. They're pretty straight forward honestly. Wouldn't hurt to pre write but they're also doable in one short sitting.

This cycle is really confusing me. Tulane's basically exhausted 90% of their interview slots and Howard is a week late on sending secondaries.
Just out of curiosity where did you get this statistic from?

Just out of curiosity where did you get this statistic from?

Tulane specific thread shows they are now giving out interviews for January . They stop interviewing in February.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't think they are going to change too much on the prompts tho...

they have not sent out any secondaries!!! Isn't it getting kinda late in the cycle?

I am a Howard Alumni... they are always incredibly late in the cycle, so keep on the look out. I was just checking in to see if I was the only one waiting. I had mistaken one of their e-mails letting me know I was verified... for a supplemental e-mail. Hopefully, they aren't going to wait for the CASPer to send the secondaries. I missed my first date and had to schedule for one on September 9th. ):

It’s almost labor’s day and they still haven’t sent the secondaries???

Reactions: 9 users
I called them today and they said that the secondaries will be sent out any day now!

Reactions: 5 users
Just got the secondary like right now

Reactions: 5 users
Just got 8 secondary emails from the back to back; they’re trying to one up FSU’s weekly completion emails :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Prompts are exactly the same

EDIT: The spaces says 250 words or less, but the text box itself actually gives 3000 characters. Best to stay under 250 words, I'd say.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users