2019-2020 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Secondary prompts:
Liberty University’s mission is to develop Christ-centered men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential to impact tomorrow’s world.

1. In 250-500 words, please describe how your personal faith, beliefs, or values will allow you to contribute to LUCOM’s mission, goals and values to develop Christ-centered servant leaders for the osteopathic medical profession.

2. In 250-500 words, please describe your personal motivation to practice osteopathic medicine.

Last edited:
I'm around for questions. So is @kristysmiles.

Whenever this thread starts to pop off in a few months.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the email from LUCOM saying they have received my primary application and are going to be making a decision in the next 30 days...

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received! Any current/past students want to talk about their overall experience? How are the academics and rotations here?

How's the student body and support?

Secondary received! But having trouble claiming my account, anyone else having this problem?

Reactions: 1 user
I am having this problem as well.
What kind of problem are y’all having? Seems like this issue came up in past years too.

Incoming OMS-1 here, so I can only answer limited questions based on my experience last cycle, but I’m happy to help if I can!

Secondary received! But having trouble claiming my account, anyone else having this problem?
Had the same issue, something to do with the SSN part. I called the help desk and they helped me address it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there essay questions for the secondary application?

I am also having this problem. They provided me with a LU ID in the email but it appears that it does not match the SSN on the account... If anyone knows how to claim my account please let me know! There appears to be an error in coding in the email.

Last edited:
I am also having this problem. They provided me with a LU ID in the email but it appears that it does not match the SSN on the account... If anyone knows how to claim my account please let me know! There appears to be an error in coding in the email.
I called their IT services with this issue, and they said that a lot of people have been having the same problem. He told me to use 000-00-0000 for the SSN, and that should patch you through to having the LU email ID.

I called their IT services with this issue, and they said that a lot of people have been having the same problem. He told me to use 000-00-0000 for the SSN, and that should patch you through to having the LU email ID.

Yes! This was my solution as well.

This worked!! Thank you. I'm at work and can't get on the phone so I was going to have to wait until Monday to call!

Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Liberty University’s mission is to develop Christ-centered men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential to impact tomorrow’s world.

1. In 250-500 words, please describe how your personal faith, beliefs, or values will allow you to contribute to LUCOM’s mission, goals and values to develop Christ-centered servant leaders for the osteopathic medical profession.

2. In 250-500 words, please describe your personal motivation to practice osteopathic medicine.

Submitted my secondary yesterday... in the response email they said that they don't begin interviews until September... so long to wait now to see if I'll get one of them haha

Do you think being a Muslim will be an issue with them?

Congrats! Just curious when did you submit your secondary, and did you also already submit your CASPer because I got an email from LUCOM in regard to that.

I submitted my secondary on 7/5 and sat for my casper test on 6/2. I’ve read somewhere that LUCOM doesn’t send out II until they get your casper scores.

Last edited:
I submitted my secondary late May and sat for my casper test on 6/2. I’ve read somewhere that LUCOM doesn’t send out II until they get your casper scores.
Submitted the secondary Late May?!

II via email this morning! Does anyone know how to find student hosts to stay with? Is there a separate forum or FB page?

II via email this morning! Does anyone know how to find student hosts to stay with? Is there a separate forum or FB page?
Congrats, I hope to submit my secondary by the end of today!

II! Just sent in my secondary in on Thursday, they process them really fast! Or I just got really lucky.

I received an email from LUCOM that I have to submit my secondary within two weeks or else they'll mark my application as "Inactive". Does anyone know if that includes LoRs? I'll have no problem getting my essays in by then but my last letter writer has been ghosting me.

Secondary received! Any current/past students want to talk about their overall experience? How are the academics and rotations here?

How's the student body and support?
I’m really happy with my decision to attend LUCOM. I just finished my second year and start rotations. The faculty and students are super supportive. Many classmates share resources (like study guides they’ve made) and are just overall encouraging. Overall, I liked second year much more than first year. Anatomy lab just wasn’t something I was good at nor enjoyed too much. But the anatomy lab is super nice and new and the anatomy professors are awesome. You learn so much in the lab. For rotations, I don’t know too much but I’ve heard mostly good things from upper Classmen.

Some of my biggest regrets are not being involved more in clubs and interest groups, not going on the Appalachian trail more (since you can get on it about 30 minutes outside of campus), and not taking some courses as seriously as I needed to.

You typically have lecture 8-12 M-F with only a few of them being mandatory. Labs are from 1-3 or 3-5. sometimes you have a full afternoon off, sometimes you have lecture, sometimes you have one lab, sometimes you have two labs back to back. But the only time we’ve had lecture past 5 was for making up a snow day. You can watch lecture online (it usually posts soon after the lecture ends. But I’d advise going to lecture atleast the first few weeks so you can see if it is beneficial for your learning style). Labs include anatomy, OMM skills, and our patient centered medicine clinical skills.

You have exams every other Monday on average in your first year and pretty much every Monday during second year. exams are online through a computer you purchase through the school.

There is a small cafeteria at the medical school. It sells sandwhiches, soups, and some pre made meals. I’d advise packing your own most days since it costs money. Definitely get some flames cash if you buy from the cafeteria often. You can add money to your student ID (you can add as much as you want and it is used like a debit card) and you get like a 5-10% discount on purchases there.

I know it’s always a question: but I don’t know how well prepared I was for boards. I did feel good leaving the COMLEX. I was doing well on practice questions and felt well prepared to study for boards. So I feel like I was prepared well for boards. I’m just not 100% sure since I haven’t gotten my score back. But I’m super happy with how I think my COMLEX went.

I know you have lots of questions but I tried to answer some of the more common ones.

Reactions: 6 users
I’m really happy with my decision to attend LUCOM. I just finished my second year and start rotations. The faculty and students are super supportive. Many classmates share resources (like study guides they’ve made) and are just overall encouraging. Overall, I liked second year much more than first year. Anatomy lab just wasn’t something I was good at nor enjoyed too much. But the anatomy lab is super nice and new and the anatomy professors are awesome. You learn so much in the lab. For rotations, I don’t know too much but I’ve heard mostly good things from upper Classmen.

Some of my biggest regrets are not being involved more in clubs and interest groups, not going on the Appalachian trail more (since you can get on it about 30 minutes outside of campus), and not taking some courses as seriously as I needed to.

You typically have lecture 8-12 M-F with only a few of them being mandatory. Labs are from 1-3 or 3-5. sometimes you have a full afternoon off, sometimes you have lecture, sometimes you have one lab, sometimes you have two labs back to back. But the only time we’ve had lecture past 5 was for making up a snow day. You can watch lecture online (it usually posts soon after the lecture ends. But I’d advise going to lecture atleast the first few weeks so you can see if it is beneficial for your learning style). Labs include anatomy, OMM skills, and our patient centered medicine clinical skills.

You have exams every other Monday on average in your first year and pretty much every Monday during second year. exams are online through a computer you purchase through the school.

There is a small cafeteria at the medical school. It sells sandwhiches, soups, and some pre made meals. I’d advise packing your own most days since it costs money. Definitely get some flames cash if you buy from the cafeteria often. You can add money to your student ID (you can add as much as you want and it is used like a debit card) and you get like a 5-10% discount on purchases there.

I know it’s always a question: but I don’t know how well prepared I was for boards. I did feel good leaving the COMLEX. I was doing well on practice questions and felt well prepared to study for boards. So I feel like I was prepared well for boards. I’m just not 100% sure since I haven’t gotten my score back. But I’m super happy with how I think my COMLEX went.

I know you have lots of questions but I tried to answer some of the more common ones.
Thank you for the info :) Could I PM you for some interview tips if you don't mind?

Thank you for this! I have one question that I have heard mixed answers on.

Do you feel the curriculum involves religion more than it should? In other words, does it seem to guide the medical school lectures?

I'm new here, but I am a little worried. I have been verified since June 20th, but I have not received a secondary from this school. cGPA 3.83 and MCAT 505....pre-screened?

I'm new here, but I am a little worried. I have been verified since June 20th, but I have not received a secondary from this school. cGPA 3.83 and MCAT 505....pre-screened?
What’s your science gpa?

You shouldn’t be getting screened out then. Maybe wait out the week and then call them and inquire on the status of your app? They’re all very nice in the office.

For those who submitted your secondary, did you get an email confirmation that you paid/submitted it? It may be because I submitted it at 11pm last night, but I never got a confirmation email.

Just wanting to clarify...I know in previous cycles LUCOM has required a letter of recommendation from a DO, not just any physician. Has that changed this cycle? According to their website, it says either DO or MD will be fine.

I had an MD and I got II so MD should be fine.

I just checked the admissions checklist on my dashboard and it says it still requires 3 recommendation letters. I already sent them in via AACOMAS, does it update by itself or should I email them? I submitted my secondary 7/16.

I just checked the admissions checklist on my dashboard and it says it still requires 3 recommendation letters. I already sent them in via AACOMAS, does it update by itself or should I email them? I submitted my secondary 7/16.

I would wait at least a week to 10 days and give them a chance to update your checklist.

Just some FYI for applicants: orientation begins for new students Tuesday the 23rd, and lasts all next week. The first week of classes follows on 7/29. This might cause a slight slowdown in application processing as they deal with us OMS-1s and our billions of questions.

Ignore all the anti-LUCOM comments on SDN. The match lists speak for themselves. It’s just as good as any other new DO school, and anyone who says otherwise is influenced by their political and religious biases.

Am I the only one who gets a blank white screen with the Liberty University header when I login to check the status/review my secondary application? Can everyone else see theirs?

No. contrary to popular belief, being a Christian is not a prerequisite for attending Liberty.
we have multiple religious (and not religious) groups represented. One of my classmates/friends is a Muslim and she is happy with the school.

Thank you for this! I have one question that I have heard mixed answers on.

Do you feel the curriculum involves religion more than it should? In other words, does it seem to guide the medical school lectures?
Some of our professors may say things like "seeing how complex the heart is just shows how great God is" but besides occasional comments like that, its geared towards learning the material that is on boards. (most professors also pray before lecture too. Just a short prayer.) You have an ethics class which does approach things from a Christian perspective. Christianity has certain views on things like abortion, physician assisted suicide, and similar issues so sometimes and when those things came up (although they presented both sides- you could tell where the professors stood). We do have one lecture that is actually over just religion. But that was in our ethics class and it was more like "Jehovah witnesses don't take blood products" "Muslims fast during Ramadan so if they are in the hospital be mindful of when you feed them" "certain Christian subgroups may think sickness is God punishing them" and ways religion may impact one's medical decisions.

Reactions: 5 users