2018-2019 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Rising OMS-2 here. Good luck with the cycle. Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
OMS-2 here. Good luck with the cycle. Feel free to reach out with any questions.

How do you feel your board prep was? Were you given a good amount of time to prepare?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you feel your board prep was? Were you given a good amount of time to prepare?

You’re gonna have to chat with a rising OMS-3 about specifics of board prep

Incoming OMS-1 here, wishing you all the very best this cycle!!!!

Gonna be an OMS-2 this fall. I'm always around for questions or concerns.

Best of luck to everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone received a secondary from this school yet?

Secondary received. However, in the email I wasn't able to understand how to sign in. It looks like there was some coding issue when they generated the email and it makes zero sense. Can someone tell me what the username and password are supposed to be?

Secondary received. However, in the email I wasn't able to understand how to sign in. It looks like there was some coding issue when they generated the email and it makes zero sense. Can someone tell me what the username and password are supposed to be?
Your username is the first letter of your first name and your entire last name (for example, John Smith would be jsmith). Your password is the password your created when making the account

How often does this school conduct its drug test?

At the beginning of 1st year and before 3rd years rotations start. And anytime they feel the need.

Don't do anything silly and you won't have to worry about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
what are the secondary questions?

In 250-500 words, please describe how your personal faith, beliefs, or values will allow you to contribute to LUCOM's mission, goals and values to develop Christ-centered servant leaders for the osteopathic medical profession.

In 250-500 words, please describe your personal motivation to practice osteopathic medicine.

Another rising OMS-II here if anything is needed! Will try and answer any private messages whenever I can!

Can someone confirm that when checking their admission status on the LUCOM portal, their letters of rec and fee payment is still marked incomplete even though the application has been submitted?
Where is the portal? I submitted my secondary, but no email back and idk where the portal would be to check if things are received

In the email they sent with the secondary link, click on the "review forms" link instead. Then, you'll be prompted to sign in. Once logged in, click on the "my LU" button at the top. Then "admissions checklist"! If you could check and let me know I'd appreciate it a ton-
Thanks! it actually made me "add widgets" then "admissions checklist"

--- it then only shows my primary submitted, although everything should be in..

---does anyone else have this issue?

For volunteer experiences, did y'all just copy what was in your primary?

Has anyone had a chance to speak with students or alumni of LUCOM? I've read some things on SDN but haven't had a chance to hear real student experiences.

What questions do you have?
Hi @NickMT-RN ,

I'm really interested in hearing what the student experience is like at LUCOM? How is the faculty? What do you like about the school, what don't you like about the program? Does the program prepare you well for boards? Do you enjoy your cohort? Are you happy with your decision to attend LUCOM, etc.

There's negative rhetoric about LUCOM on SDN and I'm trying to wade past that to find out if it's a good fit for me or not.

Does this school require a letter from a DO or not ?

Secondary submitted. Received 7/5. LORs are in as well. When can we expect II?

Honestly, my favorite thing was the sense of family/community. Everyone was SO kind and wanting to help, and they all knew one another. Even the adcom knew each interviewee, and after the interview the asst dean offered his personal info to give advice on interviews. They genuinely care about their students, that totally won me over!
That won't change your entire time there if you attend!

Has anyone had a chance to speak with students or alumni of LUCOM? I've read some things on SDN but haven't had a chance to hear real student experiences.
They've had growing pains, but Liberty University does everything top notch. You will receive the most rigorous medical education, with the most dedicated and intentional staff support, with basically unlimited resources. No one is perfect, but LUCOM is an excellent choice, and hopefully some of the issues are smoothed out should you attend. You will also join a student body that creates google drop boxes and facebook pages with study materials, notes, reminders, and tips for those who miss class etc. so that everyone can succeed. A breath of fresh air from what it could be! LUCOM will provide a voucher for a study program that you complete fully for your level 1 exam (at least that is what they've done so far). LUCOM offers research opportunities, international medical mission trips, and multiple international 4th year elective rotation options. They are expanding and preparing to build an urgent care center, and a recreation facility specific to LUCOM for students to use, in addition to the main campus facilities. Some negatives include the requirement of 1 "away" rotation during 3rd year (which means farther than a typical commute away) and 1 long commute (45 minutes for me) in order to accommodate all the students. We had to work with the school, which was somewhat painful, to secure the following options: use their provided lodging in the southwest VA area, or take a stipend for the month). This may change given LUCOM's expansion as well as Centra Health's expansion, and this actually isn't much different from any other school, including schools like UVA. Again, after 4+ years, most issues should be resolved. I chose LUCOM over many others and would recommend it without a doubt

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
@jd2019 How much time were you allocated for board prep? Did you take both Comlex and Step 1?
Time is dependent on the student. I took my level 1 on July 17 if I remember correctly, and that was 6 weeks of dedicated, school-free time for studying. I also used my spring break to study. Some students chose to study during the spring semester and took their exam earlier, and some scheduled their exams later in July.

I only took level 1 for a couple reasons: 1. It's hard to take one 9 hour exam let alone two, and I viewed the risk of doing poorly on 1, good on the other as worse than performing well on my level 1. 2. With the merger, and many schools accepting COMLEX in place of USMLE, I opted out. I don't regret it at all (I also haven't matched yet I'm starting the process). Do some programs not accept COMLEX scores? absolutely. Do some programs view you as less competitive? absolutely. But you'll have to decide if you're interested in doing residency at Harvard or Emory or if another hospital works. Also, you have to consider your specialty and how many spots exist (for example, dermatology, ophthalmology). If you do well on both, excellent. If you do bad on one, not so good..especially USMLE, and you must report both. I would say probably 50/50 is the split at my school, and that is likely decreasing in the coming years

Reactions: 2 users
Would there be harm in having a similar response to the secondary as last year? Nothing has drastically changed, but I'm adding a few things to the secondary to spice it up along with better grades/MCAT.

That won't change your entire time there if you attend!
I am hoping to this year! I was so bummed I didn't get in last year, but Dr. Patton gave me such good advice I am hoping this cycle will be the one :)

Anyone's letters still marked as incomplete on the checklist? That's my last box to check and they are in-
Mine are also marked as incomplete. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now. It's probably due to the high volume of applications

I am hoping to this year! I was so bummed I didn't get in last year, but Dr. Patton gave me such good advice I am hoping this cycle will be the one :)
It's so cool to see how much of an impression the program has left on you!

They've had growing pains, but Liberty University does everything top notch. You will receive the most rigorous medical education, with the most dedicated and intentional staff support, with basically unlimited resources. No one is perfect, but LUCOM is an excellent choice, and hopefully some of the issues are smoothed out should you attend. You will also join a student body that creates google drop boxes and facebook pages with study materials, notes, reminders, and tips for those who miss class etc. so that everyone can succeed. A breath of fresh air from what it could be! LUCOM will provide a voucher for a study program that you complete fully for your level 1 exam (at least that is what they've done so far). LUCOM offers research opportunities, international medical mission trips, and multiple international 4th year elective rotation options. They are expanding and preparing to build an urgent care center, and a recreation facility specific to LUCOM for students to use, in addition to the main campus facilities. Some negatives include the requirement of 1 "away" rotation during 3rd year (which means farther than a typical commute away) and 1 long commute (45 minutes for me) in order to accommodate all the students. We had to work with the school, which was somewhat painful, to secure the following options: use their provided lodging in the southwest VA area, or take a stipend for the month). This may change given LUCOM's expansion as well as Centra Health's expansion, and this actually isn't much different from any other school, including schools like UVA. Again, after 4+ years, most issues should be resolved. I chose LUCOM over many others and would recommend it without a doubt
Hi JD2019,

Thank you for your detailed response, your insight is super valuable. I'm so glad to hear that LUCOM is so committed to giving its students a good experience. Every school does have their pros and cons - but your post has me excited to apply haha. How has the quality of rotations been for you? Thank you again for your time!

So I haven't received a secondary from this school, and it's been almost 2 weeks since receiving an email from LUCOM about initial reviews. I have higher stats than their average and a pretty good app otherwise. Thoughts?

Completed my secondary and it said a receipt was mailed to my edu address but I never received anything. When I click the link in the original email it takes me to the secondary portal and says my application has been received. Should I be concerned about not receiving the confirmation email of payment? Did anyone else experience this?

Check the MyLiberty portal page and open the admissions checklist tab! It should show you there!

I've looked all over the login page and don't have an admissions checklist tab. The only admissions stuff I can find is about applying to the undergrad or online programs. Is it part of some larger subsection that I'm somehow missing?

Sorry for double posting, but I also had a question regarding something I saw on past posts. Is the attrition rate at LUCOM considered problematic? Or are people exaggerating?

yeah also didn't this school just receive its accreditation 1.5 months ago?? Does anyone know any current med students or heard of any experiences from this med school?

Is it a must to have a D.O recommendation for this school? I just submitted my secondary for the 2018-2019 cycle, and I have 5 recommendations (one of which is MD) but I can't seem to find a D.O who responds to their email or phone.

Is it a must to have a D.O recommendation for this school? I just submitted my secondary for the 2018-2019 cycle, and I have 5 recommendations (one of which is MD) but I can't seem to find a D.O who responds to their email or phone.

Unfortunately yes. I also submitted my secondary and didn’t realize I need a DO letter. I don’t think I’ll be able to get one at this point as I haven’t established a relationship with one.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For having LORs uploaded, are any of the options associated with AACOMAS on the website? (Liason, Interfolio, VirtualEval) All of my LORs have been uploaded to AACOMAS but I find it quite obnoxious if they indeed don't accept them through AACOMAS.

For having LORs uploaded, are any of the options associated with AACOMAS on the website? (Liason, Interfolio, VirtualEval) All of my LORs have been uploaded to AACOMAS but I find it quite obnoxious if they indeed don't accept them through AACOMAS.

What makes you think they don't accept them through AACOMAS?