2020-2021 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey first ever post to SDN. I'm an accepted student at LUCOM and I was about to hop on a Black Friday deal for a new pc for next year. Then I realized that LUCOM gives you a computer and some programs as a one time ($1750) fee rolled into the tuition. Does anybody know what type of computer is given?

Hey, it’s a Lenovo yoga. I don’t remember the exact model. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For any current student... how strict is the dress code? I'm reading the Student Handbook and it says no jeans or yoga pants. Is this at all times?

11.3.C. Dress Code Violations:
Students may not wear the following unless specified in the syllabus or required for laboratory experiences:
  • Shorts or cutoffs
  • Miniskirts
  • Jeans or denim of any type (except on designated “Jean Day”)
  • See-through clothing or halter tops
  • Sandals, flip-flops, crocs, or any open-toed shoe
  • T-shirts of any type may not be worn as the outer shirt
  • Jogging, yoga, or other exercise clothing
  • Inappropriately matched garments
  • Garments with any offensive, suggestive, obscene, or unprofessional statements or
    gestures
  • Hats, caps, or head coverings, other than religious cover, may not be worn in the
    classroom, laboratories, library, or other educational settings.
It’s not bad, you’re gonna be wearing scrubs or athletic clothes for Anatomy lab, OMM and PCM. But yes when you go in on a normal day or exam day, it’s best if you wear a nice shirt and pants. Hope this helps!

Hi, I have a question. I’m not good at standardized tests and I think I’ll have to start studying for step/comlex before the 6 week designated study period. I’ve heard it’s not necessary by some but others say they studied before The 6 weeks. Knowing myself, I think I should. Is it possible at LUCOM? I’ve heard some schools make it harder for students to find time to prep. Would I have time outside of class work?
Yes, it's possible to study outside of class work. You have to manage your time well, but plenty of students study well before the dedicated period begins. We also have COMBANK question assignments that are due once or twice during each course, and these are NOT graded but are meant to give you an idea of what board style questions are like. Some do Anki, some watch board prep videos, and some do practice questions on COMBANK/UWorld during their first semester of 2nd year. And there are also plenty of people who start winter break/spring semester. It is actually not advised to START board studying right when dedicated begins because it's simply too much material to cram into your head. I think a popular option is to review the board info that is relevant to the current course you are taking. There are a few gunners who start 1st year, but I think they become burnt out prematurely most of the time.

I realize this is a lot of info that is super early to think about before attending medical school, but I would say that LUCOM is mindful of our board prep stress and does try to help us by making the schedule more manageable. Granted, finals are still finals and will feel very hectic. But by the time you get to 2nd year, most people have a good idea of how to make the best use of their time. Hope this helps!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Whew, just finished the fall semester today! If any of you have questions I’m free until Jan 4th.
Hi! How are you?
I was wondering if classes have been mainly all online due to the pandemic? And if you have heard any recent news about changes? I am actually starting to think about where to live etc. My parents live in the suburbs of Washington D.C. and I was thinking of possibly staying with them here and there depending on whether students have mainly been off campus etc. Thanks :)

Hi! How are you?
I was wondering if classes have been mainly all online due to the pandemic? And if you have heard any recent news about changes? I am actually starting to think about where to live etc. My parents live in the suburbs of Washington D.C. and I was thinking of possibly staying with them here and there depending on whether students have mainly been off campus etc. Thanks :)

We still have in person labs at least twice a week, more often than that if we’re in the anatomy portion of a block. They just break us up into smaller groups to adhere to covid guidelines.

Lectures are streamed live and recorded, but we have minimum two lectures a week that are mandatory “live” attendance, whether that be in person or via WebEx. There’s a sign up process to attend lectures live so they can stay within the attendance limit.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
We still have in person labs at least twice a week, more often than that if we’re in the anatomy portion of a block. They just break us up into smaller groups to adhere to covid guidelines.

Lectures are streamed live and recorded, but we have minimum two lectures a week that are mandatory “live” attendance, whether that be in person or via WebEx. There’s a sign up process to attend lectures live so they can stay within the attendance limit.
Okay, that makes sense!
Thank you for the information. This was so helpful, thanks! :)

Hi, do they send interview invites through your regular email?

I am trying to figure out via castle branch, how to order my immunization and titers but I am not finding it when accessing castle branch through our LUCOM account. I only see a background check and drug screening. Has anyone accessed the correct page? Any help would be awesome, thank you :)

For interviews, I see that there's a 25-minute slot for our personal interview, then the Q&A starts at noon. Does that mean that after our personal interview, we chill until that noon time? And from the itinerary it's only one interviewer, open file right?

For interviews, I see that there's a 25-minute slot for our personal interview, then the Q&A starts at noon. Does that mean that after our personal interview, we chill until that noon time? And from the itinerary it's only one interviewer, open file right?
Everything you said is correct except for the last part. Mine was partly open file. They didn't have access to my grades and MCAT. Best of Luck! :)

I am trying to figure out via castle branch, how to order my immunization and titers but I am not finding it when accessing castle branch through our LUCOM account. I only see a background check and drug screening. Has anyone accessed the correct page? Any help would be awesome, thank you :)

Are they requiring immunizations and titers through castle branch now? When I was applying I just printed the requirements and took them to my doctor and they did everything else, then I emailed the completed immunizations and titer results to Tammy Weigner. I would address all immunization/titers questions to her. [email protected]

Are they requiring immunizations and titers through castle branch now? When I was applying I just printed the requirements and took them to my doctor and they did everything else, then I emailed the completed immunizations and titer results to Tammy Weigner. I would address all immunization/titers questions to her. [email protected]
Thank you so much!
So, the page when we click on immunization and titers through our portal leads to castlebranch. But only a drug screening and HIPAA link is found when I do on there. https://www.liberty.edu/media/1290/pdfs/LUCOM-IMMUNIZATION-TITER-FORM.pdf, is this the page you're speaking about? Because yes, I did find this and based everything off this link, but I will follow up with her! :) Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much!
So, the page when we click on immunization and titers through our portal leads to castlebranch. But only a drug screening and HIPAA link is found when I do on there. https://www.liberty.edu/media/1290/pdfs/LUCOM-IMMUNIZATION-TITER-FORM.pdf, is this the page you're speaking about? Because yes, I did find this and based everything off this link, but I will follow up with her! :) Thank you!

Yeah, that’s the same one we used. I just printed it, used my immunization record to fill it out, then took it to my doctor and had shots and titers done, and TB screen.

If you run into any issues at all getting a series complete, email Tammy and she’ll give you an extension. I had never had the HiB series, which takes six months plus a titer, but she worked with me on deadlines and I finished everything in October of my first semester.

Hello, it's me, shaky voice Bob.

Can't believe I can do a mock interview and not have voice shake AT ALL, but then I do a real interview and the voice quiver comes out the WHOLE time. Hope my interviewer overlooks it 😅😅😅. IM NERVOUS BC I CARE

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Yeah, that’s the same one we used. I just printed it, used my immunization record to fill it out, then took it to my doctor and had shots and titers done, and TB screen.

If you run into any issues at all getting a series complete, email Tammy and she’ll give you an extension. I had never had the HiB series, which takes six months plus a titer, but she worked with me on deadlines and I finished everything in October of my first semester.
Thank you again!
She did respond very quickly and it looks like now we do use everything through castle branch

Ah, okay thank you so much ! :) Yes, I reached out to her.

Hello, it's me, shaky voice Bob.

Can't believe I can do a mock interview and not have voice shake AT ALL, but then I do a real interview and the voice quiver comes out the WHOLE time. Hope my interviewer overlooks it 😅😅😅. IM NERVOUS BC I CARE
it's okay! I'm sure you did well, the faculty is so so nice and I am in love with this school

• Love
Does anyone know if Liberty is requiring students to get the Covid vaccine?
I dont think for now it can be mandated anywhere because its not FDA approved, its only allowed due to emergency use authorization. But I got the first dose already and it's not bad. Some arm soreness

Does anyone know if Liberty is requiring students to get the Covid vaccine?

They are not. LUCOM is working to get all 3rd/4th year students vaccinated now, and the rest of us are waiting for more info on when the vaccine will be available to 1st/2nd year and staff.

II this morning. Will be declining though.

Interviewed the week of the 11th. Hope us last week interviewers get the call today!

II this morning!
I interviewed yesterday and they told us that they don't do a wait-list and their current class is full, but you can be provisionally accepted.

I got an II last week! I turned it down, so hopefully one of you gets it! Good luck!

Interviewed 1/11 and got the A call yesterday (provisional)

• Love
Can someone explain what the provisional acceptance at Liberty means?

Can someone explain what the provisional acceptance at Liberty means?
what they told us during the interview day info session was that their current class is full and they don't do wait-lists. Either you are accepted or you are not. If you are accepted, its provisional. If a space opens up in this class for you, you will get a seat. If not, then you have a seat for the next class.

what they told us during the interview day info session was that their current class is full and they don't do wait-lists. Either you are accepted or you are not. If you are accepted, its provisional. If a space opens up in this class for you, you will get a seat. If not, then you have a seat for the next class.
Got it. Thank you!

Just got the acceptance call. OOS, interviewed 1/22. Was told I had the provisional acceptance and should expect movement in March.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hi! I was wondering if any current medical students had recommendations in regards to where to live in lynchburg? I'm still debating on whether i'de like a roommate (leaning towards yes). I would like a townhome due to noise level probably decreased in a townhome vs. an apartment. Any recommendations would be awesome! Thank you :)

Got II today! totally unexpected. This school was #1 on my list and already lost all hope of getting an invite. I saw a lot of people are saying that class is full and now they accept for provisional acceptance. What's that? Also, do you know what are the chances of getting rejected after their interview or it is more of a formality for them, as I know some schools have a really high acceptance rate post-interview but others have muuuuuuch lower chances as they interview a lot of people? What is their format of the interview -- is it a close file/open file? And what is their stand on people who is not Christian, is it discrimination right of the bat? And does anyone has any tips to prepare for the interview? Sorry for so many questions, I am just super pumped as this is the 3rd cycle applying to LU, and I always been rejected pre-interview. So I am super stocked and want to learn as much as I can not to mess this opportunity. I am also a Canadian student, so I know the chances of foreign students getting in more slim, thus, really want to do as best as i can. Sorry for rambling a lot -- adrenalin is pumping hahah. Hopefully can get some of the answers from you guys =)

• Love
Got II today! totally unexpected. This school was #1 on my list and already lost all hope of getting an invite. I saw a lot of people are saying that class is full and now they accept for provisional acceptance. What's that? Also, do you know what are the chances of getting rejected after their interview or it is more of a formality for them, as I know some schools have a really high acceptance rate post-interview but others have muuuuuuch lower chances as they interview a lot of people? What is their format of the interview -- is it a close file/open file? And what is their stand on people who is not Christian, is it discrimination right of the bat? And does anyone has any tips to prepare for the interview? Sorry for so many questions, I am just super pumped as this is the 3rd cycle applying to LU, and I always been rejected pre-interview. So I am super stocked and want to learn as much as I can not to mess this opportunity. I am also a Canadian student, so I know the chances of foreign students getting in more slim, thus, really want to do as best as i can. Sorry for rambling a lot -- adrenalin is pumping hahah. Hopefully can get some of the answers from you guys =)
Congrats on the the sudden II :) Do you mind sharing when you were complete by? I've been waiting since early August
and am on verge of giving up on this cycle... :/

AHHHH First of all, Congratulation!!!! I know how you feel. For your questions:

1.Provisional acceptance? If you can't get a seat for July 2021 Class, you'll automatically have a seat in July 2022 Class. Ether way, you will become a doctor with this phone call. They are very fast at giving out a decision ( mostly likely a week from your interview date).

2.What are the chances of getting rejected after their interview or it is more of a formality for them, as I know some schools have a really high acceptance rate post-interview but others have muuuuuuch lower chances as they interview a lot of people? Hmmm maybe others will chime in on this but from my view, high to very high acceptance rate. But don't take the interview lightly tho.

3. What is their format of the interview -- is it a close file/open file?
It varies but mine was a partly open file. The interviewer didn't have my grades/MCAT but everything else.

4. And what is their stand on people who is not Christian, is it discrimination right of the bat? NOT ONE BIT.. They are very very open to other religions.

5. And does anyone has any tips to prepare for the interview? Look up common interview questions online and LUCOM specific interview page on SDNs.

Again, Best of Luck!!! Be yourself, my interviewer actually tried to calm my nerves. They are very nice! I had a few interviews but this one made me feel at home the most!!!!!!! You got this!!!! :banana::banana:

• Love
Congrats on the the sudden II :) Do you mind sharing when you were complete by? I've been waiting since early August
Don't give up! You might get II tomorrow or next week! You will never know!! I was bummed out for months then sudden two II within 24 hours o_O o_O

They told me that my app would be processed in like a month or something. So at almost 2 months I called them and they gave me an interview, and I got an email to schedule it the next day.

Yes of course! I completed it in mid September, as I took re-took MCAT in the end of August and did not want to apply unless I meet their cut off. So there is hope! Best of luck to you!

AHHHH First of all, Congratulation!!!! I know how you feel. For your questions:

1.Provisional acceptance? If you can't get a seat for July 2021 Class, you'll automatically have a seat in July 2022 Class. Ether way, you will become a doctor with this phone call. They are very fast at giving out a decision ( mostly likely a week from your interview date).

2.What are the chances of getting rejected after their interview or it is more of a formality for them, as I know some schools have a really high acceptance rate post-interview but others have muuuuuuch lower chances as they interview a lot of people? Hmmm maybe others will chime in on this but from my view, high to very high acceptance rate. But don't take the interview lightly tho.

3. What is their format of the interview -- is it a close file/open file?
It varies but mine was a partly open file. The interviewer didn't have my grades/MCAT but everything else.

4. And what is their stand on people who is not Christian, is it discrimination right of the bat? NOT ONE BIT.. They are very very open to other religions.

5. And does anyone has any tips to prepare for the interview? Look up common interview questions online and LUCOM specific interview page on SDNs.

Again, Best of Luck!!! Be yourself, my interviewer actually tried to calm my nerves. They are very nice! I had a few interviews but this one made me feel at home the most!!!!!!! You got this!!!! :banana::banana:
Thanks for the info! definitely won't be taking it lightly and prepare for it. I did have some interviews in my 1st and 2nd cycle but was either rejected post-interview or put on a waitlist, but never made off WL. Also, non of the schools I interviewed at had such wonderful offer as a provisional list. Some of the ones I applied 1st round and put on a WL, didn't even made it to the interview next cycle Kinda weird but it is what it is. Would you be so kind to point me in the direction of the LUCOM interview page? Also, thank you so much for your encouragement !!

• Care
YAY!!! congrats :) I'm in love with this school <3333

Thanks for the info! definitely won't be taking it lightly and prepare for it. I did have some interviews in my 1st and 2nd cycle but was either rejected post-interview or put on a waitlist, but never made off WL. Also, non of the schools I interviewed at had such wonderful offer as a provisional list. Some of the ones I applied 1st round and put on a WL, didn't even made it to the interview next cycle Kinda weird but it is what it is. Would you be so kind to point me in the direction of the LUCOM interview page? Also, thank you so much for your encouragement !!

another quick question -- might be outdated info or I was reading the wrong articles, so please, correct me if I am wrong. I know since it is a religious institution they are more strict on relationships and living with your partner outside of marriage. I am currently engaged but not planning on getting married soon, at least during medical school, so is it something that is looked down upon? I know it's all little nuances but I would want to know if they have a strict policy living with your significant other and could be considered a violation of their conduct. Does anyone know anything about it?

another quick question -- might be outdated info or I was reading the wrong articles, so please, correct me if I am wrong. I know since it is a religious institution they are more strict on relationships and living with your partner outside of marriage. I am currently engaged but not planning on getting married soon, at least during medical school, so is it something that is looked down upon? I know it's all little nuances but I would want to know if they have a strict policy living with your significant other and could be considered a violation of their conduct. Does anyone know anything about it?

You won’t be asked about your living situation at any point.

As I understand it, it's technically against policy as per main campus, but even then, I believe it's only if you live on school property. At LUCOM, it doesn't apply in practice. They mentioned it once during my interview, but it hasn't come up since. Many students live with their significant others, and it's not something we have to hide from faculty in any way. I wouldn't bring up living arrangements during interview just to be on the safe side, but once you're in, you can live with whoever you want.

Also, a bunch of us are in our mid-late twenties, so your situation is very common here. Even if they wanted to (they don't), they understand it's not a policy they can realistically enforce.

Congratulations on your II!

Has everyone completed the castle branch things due on March 1?

• Haha
Lol I’m not even close...they want SO much from us! I wish they gave us until matriculation

Lol I’m not even close...they want SO much from us! I wish they gave us until matriculation
Haha right! I got on it ASAP and tried knocking out a bunch of it with my PCP. I had him fill out all the forms for me :)

• Care
Is there an extensive list that they want you to complete prior to March 1st? I am interviewing at the end of the month, so kinda worry if they won't give us much time to complete those doc if their current deadline is march 1st

Could any current student talk about the volunteering services LUCOM has? I know they are big on serving the community, so was wondering if they have some programs that students can participate in. I tried looking for it on the website but cannot find anything specific besides clubs and compas program