2020-2021 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I had read about this before submitting my application to LUCOM, and I'm sharing it so others don't feel the same regrets: Why I resigned from Liberty University: Because Black Lives Matter
Liberty professor resigns after Falwell’s ‘Governor Blackface’ tweet

Black Lives Matter. Non-negotiable.
A school whose president doesn't value Black lives and faces no consequences for his actions, is not the kind of school I want to attend.
Do your research. Don't ignore what you believe in.

Reactions: 1 user

Also at the bottom of the article is a response from the Black alumni to the apology. I do not defend Falwell Jr.’s statements, but I believe the whole story should be told so applicants can make informed choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else not heard anything at all from them?

Hang in there guys. VA just went to phase 3 on the 1st, so there are lots of meetings going on with changes happening daily to the academic schedule and how classes will be addressed. They’ll get things sorted out soon, but they might be temporarily preoccupied with getting social distancing orientation set up and keeping everyone informed of next steps.

Reactions: 1 users
For the secondary, did you all just copy and paste your volunteer experiences from the primary? I'm confused why they have this section when we had the primary, unless something's different

For the secondary, did you all just copy and paste your volunteer experiences from the primary? I'm confused why they have this section when we had the primary, unless something's different

you got your secondary??? when were you verified??

Members don't see this ad :)
Application received 6/16
Secondary received 6/24

Copy pasted. Some schools have interviewers look at secondaries(since they’re so busy and don’t have time to look through our whole primary app)

I wish I had read about this before submitting my application to LUCOM, and I'm sharing it so others don't feel the same regrets: Why I resigned from Liberty University: Because Black Lives Matter
Liberty professor resigns after Falwell’s ‘Governor Blackface’ tweet

Black Lives Matter. Non-negotiable.
A school whose president doesn't value Black lives and faces no consequences for his actions, is not the kind of school I want to attend.
Do your research. Don't ignore what you believe in.

I am an ally and I was not aware of all the awful history and current events at the college. I will be withdrawing my application. I am quite progressive and so I doubt I will fit in here. Thank you for bringing this to my attention

Reactions: 4 users
Are there any current students or alumni who can speak on the school's culture? I understand it's in a rural area and it's a faith based school, but are the students also as ignorant as the administration?
Did every student at your undergrad institution believe exactly the same as your university president?

LUCOM has a mix of very religious, semi-religious and non-religious students. The LUCOM administration is comprised of kind and caring individuals...perhaps your insult was directed at the undergrad university president?

Reactions: 6 users

1. Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine, as a faith-based institution, exists to develop excellent osteopathic physicians in a Christian environment who will impact the world by becoming leaders in the practice of medicine and servants of their fellow man. In 250-500 words, please describe how your personal faith, beliefs, or values will allow you to contribute to LUCOM's mission to develop patient-centered physicians for the osteopathic medical profession.

2. In under 300 words, how do you hope to impact your community as an osteopathic physician?

1. Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine, as a faith-based institution, exists to develop excellent osteopathic physicians in a Christian environment who will impact the world by becoming leaders in the practice of medicine and servants of their fellow man. In 250-500 words, please describe how your personal faith, beliefs, or values will allow you to contribute to LUCOM's mission to develop patient-centered physicians for the osteopathic medical profession.

2. In under 300 words, how do you hope to impact your community as an osteopathic physician?
Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
So for the first question on the secondary, If I discuss my beliefs and interests in religions/spirituality that is not Christian or traditional in that sense, will this put me at a disadvantage? On that note, will hinting or giving indication of liberal background or beliefs hurt my chances? Want to be honest but also don't want to shoot myself in the foot, so to speak.

So for the first question on the secondary, If I discuss my beliefs and interests in religions/spirituality that is not Christian or traditional in that sense, will this put me at a disadvantage? On that note, will hinting or giving indication of liberal background or beliefs hurt my chances? Want to be honest but also don't want to shoot myself in the foot, so to speak.

I think it is far more important that you are honest about what you believe so that the school gets an accurate read on you. The school is looking for a specific kind of student and you should be looking for the school that is the best fit for you. You are going to spend four years of your life here and you certainly don't want to attend a school that doesn't fit you or your values. I would contend that attending an institution that does not respect your values, or minimizes them, is what would really "shoot you in the foot." Full disclosure, I am going to withdraw my application from this school after googling them and their history of bigotry and discovering that my values do not align with the school.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it is far more important that you are honest about what you believe so that the school gets an accurate read on you. The school is looking for a specific kind of student and you should be looking for the school that is the best fit for you. You are going to spend four years of your life here and you certainly don't want to attend a school that doesn't fit you or your values. I would contend that attending an institution that does not respect your values, or minimizes them, is what would really "shoot you in the foot." Full disclosure, I am going to withdraw my application from this school after googling them and their history of bigotry and discovering that my values do not align with the school.

Since the limit is a range, do you think it would be looked down upon if my response is closer to 250 than 500?

Since the limit is a range, do you think it would be looked down upon if my response is closer to 250 than 500?

Not necessarily. It depends on what you had to say. Did you effectively answer the question in 250? I personally have a hell of a time answering a question in only 250, but perhaps you are better at it than me. I would look over it and see if there is anything worthwhile to add

Just my two cents on the Black Lives Matter issue :giggle:

Of course, I agree every black life matters. There is no doubt in my mind about that. But I do not personally support BLM as an organization because I do not agree with certain things stated in their "What we believe" page. I haven't looked into the specific case regarding the LUCOM president, but I just wanted to share that not everyone who doesn't support "BLM" is a racist or a bigot. They just may have a different perspective or way of wanting to go about dealing with racism in this nation.

Just some resources I thought I'd share:
I'm not saying this is the view everyone should have. If a lack of support for BLM is a non-negotiable, by all means, do what aligns with your values and gives you peace at the end of the day :) Just thought I'd simply share a different perspective. Hope it helped some of you out there!

Otherwise, have a blessed day everyone and good luck on apps~

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone how strict they are on the mcat cutoff? would 500 be ok?

Anyone else not get a secondary??

For those who submitted the secondary, how long did it take for your LORs to upload to the portal?

When you press "complete secondary application" from the e-mail, does it look like it hasn't been submitted (even if it has been?)