You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Liberty University (LUCOM)
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I wish I had read about this before submitting my application to LUCOM, and I'm sharing it so others don't feel the same regrets: Why I resigned from Liberty University: Because Black Lives Matter
Liberty professor resigns after Falwell’s ‘Governor Blackface’ tweet
Black Lives Matter. Non-negotiable.
A school whose president doesn't value Black lives and faces no consequences for his actions, is not the kind of school I want to attend.
Do your research. Don't ignore what you believe in.
Liberty professor resigns after Falwell’s ‘Governor Blackface’ tweet
Black Lives Matter. Non-negotiable.
A school whose president doesn't value Black lives and faces no consequences for his actions, is not the kind of school I want to attend.
Do your research. Don't ignore what you believe in.
D
deleted1005514
Falwell apologizes to community after controversial mask tweets
LYNCHBURG, Va. (WSET) -- Jerry Falwell Jr. has apologized after tweeting about Gov. Ralph Northam's new face-covering requirement. "I have deleted the tweet and apologize for any hurt my effort caused, especially within the African American community," he said in a three-part tweet. Falwell...
Also at the bottom of the article is a response from the Black alumni to the apology. I do not defend Falwell Jr.’s statements, but I believe the whole story should be told so applicants can make informed choices.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone heard anything yet?
Anyone heard anything yet?
nope not yet! still waiting for secondary
nope not yet! still waiting for secondary
I finished mine earlier this week
mdclowncar
Full Member
I finished mine earlier this week
On your portal, does it say your letters are received?
I submitted last week too but I’m still waiting on them to compete my app
No my letter writers are being slow..On your portal, does it say your letters are received?
I submitted last week too but I’m still waiting on them to compete my app
Anyone else not heard anything at all from them?
Anyone else not heard anything at all from them?
haven't heard anything either
D
deleted1005514
Hang in there guys. VA just went to phase 3 on the 1st, so there are lots of meetings going on with changes happening daily to the academic schedule and how classes will be addressed. They’ll get things sorted out soon, but they might be temporarily preoccupied with getting social distancing orientation set up and keeping everyone informed of next steps.
For the secondary, did you all just copy and paste your volunteer experiences from the primary? I'm confused why they have this section when we had the primary, unless something's different
For the secondary, did you all just copy and paste your volunteer experiences from the primary? I'm confused why they have this section when we had the primary, unless something's different
you got your secondary??? when were you verified??
No my letter writers are being slow..
when were you verified?
mdclowncar
Full Member
Application received 6/16
Secondary received 6/24
Secondary received 6/24
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mdclowncar
Full Member
For the secondary, did you all just copy and paste your volunteer experiences from the primary? I'm confused why they have this section when we had the primary, unless something's different
Copy pasted. Some schools have interviewers look at secondaries(since they’re so busy and don’t have time to look through our whole primary app)
6/16 6/25when were you verified?
I believe 4 days ago.you got your secondary??? when were you verified??
Awesome, thank youCopy pasted. Some schools have interviewers look at secondaries(since they’re so busy and don’t have time to look through our whole primary app)
I wish I had read about this before submitting my application to LUCOM, and I'm sharing it so others don't feel the same regrets: Why I resigned from Liberty University: Because Black Lives Matter
Liberty professor resigns after Falwell’s ‘Governor Blackface’ tweet
Black Lives Matter. Non-negotiable.
A school whose president doesn't value Black lives and faces no consequences for his actions, is not the kind of school I want to attend.
Do your research. Don't ignore what you believe in.
I am an ally and I was not aware of all the awful history and current events at the college. I will be withdrawing my application. I am quite progressive and so I doubt I will fit in here. Thank you for bringing this to my attention
D
deleted1005514
Did every student at your undergrad institution believe exactly the same as your university president?Are there any current students or alumni who can speak on the school's culture? I understand it's in a rural area and it's a faith based school, but are the students also as ignorant as the administration?
LUCOM has a mix of very religious, semi-religious and non-religious students. The LUCOM administration is comprised of kind and caring individuals...perhaps your insult was directed at the undergrad university president?
I was wondering the same thing as I didn't see their name to send scores.Is CASPer no longer required here?
Nothing yet
Nothing yet
same
secondary received ! verified 7/1
Prompts?secondary received ! verified 7/1
Prompts?
1. Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine, as a faith-based institution, exists to develop excellent osteopathic physicians in a Christian environment who will impact the world by becoming leaders in the practice of medicine and servants of their fellow man. In 250-500 words, please describe how your personal faith, beliefs, or values will allow you to contribute to LUCOM's mission to develop patient-centered physicians for the osteopathic medical profession.
2. In under 300 words, how do you hope to impact your community as an osteopathic physician?
Thank you!1. Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine, as a faith-based institution, exists to develop excellent osteopathic physicians in a Christian environment who will impact the world by becoming leaders in the practice of medicine and servants of their fellow man. In 250-500 words, please describe how your personal faith, beliefs, or values will allow you to contribute to LUCOM's mission to develop patient-centered physicians for the osteopathic medical profession.
2. In under 300 words, how do you hope to impact your community as an osteopathic physician?
Secondary received, verified 7/9
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
veggiepremed
Full Member
So for the first question on the secondary, If I discuss my beliefs and interests in religions/spirituality that is not Christian or traditional in that sense, will this put me at a disadvantage? On that note, will hinting or giving indication of liberal background or beliefs hurt my chances? Want to be honest but also don't want to shoot myself in the foot, so to speak.
So for the first question on the secondary, If I discuss my beliefs and interests in religions/spirituality that is not Christian or traditional in that sense, will this put me at a disadvantage? On that note, will hinting or giving indication of liberal background or beliefs hurt my chances? Want to be honest but also don't want to shoot myself in the foot, so to speak.
I think it is far more important that you are honest about what you believe so that the school gets an accurate read on you. The school is looking for a specific kind of student and you should be looking for the school that is the best fit for you. You are going to spend four years of your life here and you certainly don't want to attend a school that doesn't fit you or your values. I would contend that attending an institution that does not respect your values, or minimizes them, is what would really "shoot you in the foot." Full disclosure, I am going to withdraw my application from this school after googling them and their history of bigotry and discovering that my values do not align with the school.
I think it is far more important that you are honest about what you believe so that the school gets an accurate read on you. The school is looking for a specific kind of student and you should be looking for the school that is the best fit for you. You are going to spend four years of your life here and you certainly don't want to attend a school that doesn't fit you or your values. I would contend that attending an institution that does not respect your values, or minimizes them, is what would really "shoot you in the foot." Full disclosure, I am going to withdraw my application from this school after googling them and their history of bigotry and discovering that my values do not align with the school.
Since the limit is a range, do you think it would be looked down upon if my response is closer to 250 than 500?
Since the limit is a range, do you think it would be looked down upon if my response is closer to 250 than 500?
Not necessarily. It depends on what you had to say. Did you effectively answer the question in 250? I personally have a hell of a time answering a question in only 250, but perhaps you are better at it than me. I would look over it and see if there is anything worthwhile to add
Just my two cents on the Black Lives Matter issue 😊
Of course, I agree every black life matters. There is no doubt in my mind about that. But I do not personally support BLM as an organization because I do not agree with certain things stated in their "What we believe" page. I haven't looked into the specific case regarding the LUCOM president, but I just wanted to share that not everyone who doesn't support "BLM" is a racist or a bigot. They just may have a different perspective or way of wanting to go about dealing with racism in this nation.
Just some resources I thought I'd share:
Otherwise, have a blessed day everyone and good luck on apps~
Of course, I agree every black life matters. There is no doubt in my mind about that. But I do not personally support BLM as an organization because I do not agree with certain things stated in their "What we believe" page. I haven't looked into the specific case regarding the LUCOM president, but I just wanted to share that not everyone who doesn't support "BLM" is a racist or a bigot. They just may have a different perspective or way of wanting to go about dealing with racism in this nation.
Just some resources I thought I'd share:
- How should Christians view the Black Lives Matter movement? | GotQuestions.org
- BLM What we believe page: https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/
Otherwise, have a blessed day everyone and good luck on apps~
Anyone else not get a secondary??
I haven't either yet. Did anyone get a secondary without an MCAT?Anyone else not get a secondary??
I haven't either and my MCAT is inAnyone else not get a secondary??
D
deleted988803
I got one with MCAT I took 6/20
mdclowncar
Full Member
I received a secondary June 24
For those who submitted the secondary, how long did it take for your LORs to upload to the portal?
D
deleted988803
Submitted mine on 7/16, no upload of my LORs yet.For those who submitted the secondary, how long did it take for your LORs to upload to the portal?
Same, 7/16. Might be a bit of a wait, hoping they send out IIs soon since this is my top choice.Submitted mine on 7/16, no upload of my LORs yet.
D
deleted988803
It's a great school! Not sure when they do IIs tho.Same, 7/16. Might be a bit of a wait, hoping they send out IIs soon since this is my top choice.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mdclowncar
Full Member
Same, 7/16. Might be a bit of a wait, hoping they send out IIs soon since this is my top choice.
I emailed them and they responded that they will update it once you get an interview 🙂
D
deleted988803
ope, weirdI emailed them and they responded that they will update it once you get an interview 🙂
veggiepremed
Full Member
Like they will update the portal, the LUCOM email? Or will they email our AACOMAS associated email?I emailed them and they responded that they will update it once you get an interview 🙂
mdclowncar
Full Member
Like they will update the portal, the LUCOM email? Or will they email our AACOMAS associated email?
I think the my.liberty portal where it had the checklist of 5 things.