2019-2020 Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is an ITA just an update letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is an ITA just an update letter?
From what I can gather. ITA= In the Area. Basically, saying you'll be near by and would like to minimize travel expenses.

Super morbid, but my grandmother is in hospice care and I'll likely be attending a funeral 20 minutes from Loyola next week. Might send an ITA letter to see if I can avoid flying to Illinois twice.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
From what I can gather. ITA= In the Area. Basically, saying you'll be near by and would like to minimize travel expenses.

Super morbid, but my grandmother is in hospice care and I'll likely be attending a funeral 20 minutes from Loyola next week. Might send an ITA letter to see if I can avoid flying to Illinois twice.
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother! :(

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Sorry to hear about that and thanks for letting me know! So ITA is for people not in state then right?

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry to hear about that and thanks for letting me know! So ITA is for people not in state then right?
I would say if you are already paying for a plane/bus/train ticket to the area or a hotel in the area for an unrelated reason, it is for you.

Edit: I appreciate the kind words about my grandmother.

Last edited:
So I will say this. The idea of an ITA is that you are In The Area for another interview. An ITA letter is not historically designed to just say you are going to be in the city for any reason. The idea is you are flexing you have another interview, and that you will be in that area because of another interview. You are welcome to just say you are in the area but thats not what an ITA letter really is.

So I will say this. The idea of an ITA is that you are In The Area for another interview. An ITA letter is not historically designed to just say you are going to be in the city for any reason. The idea is you are flexing you have another interview, and that you will be in that area because of another interview. You are welcome to just say you are in the area but thats not what an ITA letter really is.
don't flex too hard though

Accepted via phone on Tuesday afternoon; interviewed on 12/5. Loved the school. Good luck to everyone applying/waiting to hear back!

Reactions: 4 users
Definitely didn't know there was a subtle art of the flex to an ITA lol. Good to know! "Dear Loyola, I'll be flying in to Illinois from my Johns Hopkins interview and will happen to be in the area, so... you know what to do"

Reactions: 1 users
I've seen a couple of conflicting statements on this forum (and previous years) about being on hold pre-interview. Originally, I viewed it as not getting flat out rejected! Now I'm wondering if it's safe to assume that I will be getting rejected if I don't not receive an interview invite by next week as the last interview date is February 13th? Hoping good news comes for all us!!

I've seen a couple of conflicting statements on this forum (and previous years) about being on hold pre-interview. Originally, I viewed it as not getting flat out rejected! Now I'm wondering if it's safe to assume that I will be getting rejected if I don't not receive an interview invite by next week as the last interview date is February 13th? Hoping good news comes for all us!!
I haven't even been placed back under review!

Flights booked. See y'all at second look :)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Based on what people have historically reported and the high number of applications Loyola gets, I believe that there is a high probability that you will not get an interview. However, I am an optimistic person and I would not say that your chances of getting an interview are 0% - you never know what the adcoms are going to do. Nobody knows what’s going to happen. Even though Loyola hasn’t given you an interview yet, I hope other schools have at least considered you! Best of luck!

Just got the acceptance call off of CC! I'm pumped because I really loved this school when I interviewed!!

I was put on CC in early October from an early September interview. I sent in 2 update letters, one was like 2 weeks ago and I really focused on why I was a great fit specifically for Loyola so I think that was the extra push to give me the A

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Just got the acceptance call off of CC! I'm pumped because I really loved this school when I interviewed!!

I was put on CC in early October from an early September interview. I sent in 2 update letters, one was like 2 weeks ago and I really focused on why I was a great fit specifically for Loyola so I think that was the extra push to give me the A
Amazing congrats!!! Hopefully we’re future classmates. Loyola strongly values this communication.

I just got an II to Loyola today and am wondering if I should go. I have already been accepted to a great school that I like, but I am interested in Loyola. Do you think they are just interviewing for the waitlist right now?

I just got an II to Loyola today and am wondering if I should go. I have already been accepted to a great school that I like, but I am interested in Loyola. Do you think they are just interviewing for the waitlist right now?
They’re definitely not interviewing for the waitlist they give out 430 As. Also they don’t even have a waitlist right now they have accept, reject, active consideration.

Hello! What dates did they give you?

They’re definitely not interviewing for the waitlist they give out 430 As. Also they don’t even have a waitlist right now they have accept, reject, active consideration.
Thanks for the reply! Sorry, I haven't been following this thread since earlier on in the cycle. What do you think the general post-II acceptance rate is here?

They offered February 6 and 11 for interview dates.

Congrats!! If you don't have any plans to go to Loyola, then you could always decline the interview and give the spot to someone else. But if you are seriously considering I don't see why you shouldn't go!
Thanks! I wouldn't go to the interview unless I was highly considering attending.

Thanks for the reply! Sorry, I haven't been following this thread since earlier on in the cycle. What do you think the general post-II acceptance rate is here?

They offered February 6 and 11 for interview dates.
Last year 430/680 ... about as high as it gets. If they’re interviewing you they want you

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Last year 430/680 ... about as high as it gets. If they’re interviewing you they want you
Concur with this. I didn't know any of the post-interview acceptance stats before I got accepted, but my general feeling during my interview was that just getting the invite was the biggest hurdle.

Congrats on the II! If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?

II this morning. Complete 8/3/19. Dates offered were 2/6 and 2/11!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Hello, I’m not sure if this has been asked before but is there a FB group for admitted students?

Question for ya'll:

Second look email specifically mentioned that we can bring up to 3 members of our "support system" with...
Is it odd to bring a parent?

I didn't think that was super common for second look, but if Loyola is encouragingggggg us to do so?

(Also can we take a second to a p p r e c i a t e how family-based Stritch seems to be?! Haven't even matriculated, & I already feel so welcomed and taken care of :happy:)

Reactions: 6 users
Question for ya'll:

Second look email specifically mentioned that we can bring up to 3 members of our "support system" with...
Is it odd to bring a parent?

I didn't think that was super common for second look, but if Loyola is encouragingggggg us to do so?

(Also can we take a second to a p p r e c i a t e how family-based Stritch seems to be?! Haven't even matriculated, & I already feel so welcomed and taken care of :happy:)

If only theyd adopt me into their big happy family :(

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
I know SDN is a small sample of all of us, but do we think that the lack of II updates lately means they're done.....? Someone please make my day & say no, haha.

I know SDN is a small sample of all of us, but do we think that the lack of II updates lately means they're done.....? Someone please make my day & say no, haha.
They interview until end of February! And it seems like the last dates people were getting were for mid-February so I think they probably have a few dates left

• Love
Phew, thanks for the positive response! Needed it, haha.
No problem!! I emailed them an ITA yesterday and that’s what they told me just in case anyone is wondering the source of my info as well :)

• Love
No problem!! I emailed them an ITA yesterday and that’s what they told me just in case anyone is wondering the source of my info as well :)
That's a little more reassuring! I thought the last interview date was February 13th?

I'm in the same boat...hoping that good news is coming. Each R gives me less and less hope :(

That's a little more reassuring! I thought the last interview date was February 13th?
They didn’t tell me an exact date just told me they interview through end of February!

I sent an ITA in November/December and it did nothing for me. I think they get a zillion of them...

Anyone still waiting on getting an interview? I have heard nothing yet since submitting my secondary on 9/4 (submitted two update letters since then). Does anyone know if they are still extending interviews and until when?

Thanks!

Reactions: 13 users
Anyone still waiting on getting an interview? I have heard nothing yet since submitting my secondary on 9/4 (submitted two update letters since then). Does anyone know if they are still extending interviews and until when?

Thanks!
+1 but waiting since 7/17

Reactions: 7 users
+1 but waiting since 7/17
Last interview date last year was 2/21 so its coming up hot. I would say at this point any II left to give out are probably if someone withdraws their II. Probably somewhere around 20-30 interview invites left to give out but thats complete speculation.

Thanks!
+2, complete 7/24