2019-2020 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone got a response from Dr. Weisman about "exploring other options" or have they all been mostly neutral or optimistic? Trying to figure out how realistic he is being with his replies

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone got a response from Dr. Weisman about "exploring other options" or have they all been mostly neutral or optimistic? Trying to figure out how realistic he is being with his replies
Emailed earlier today, and he responded quickly. Said that they'll have a good idea of how many they can accept from the alternate list tomorrow. Didn't say anything about my chances, only that they're notifying accepted students next week. Anyone else who emailed recently get something similar or other responses?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Emailed earlier today, and he responded within 5 minutes. Said that they'll have a good idea of how many they can accept from the alternate list tomorrow. Didn't say anything about my chances, only that they're notifying accepted students next week. Anyone else who emailed recently get something similar or other responses?

I emailed him on Monday and he responded in under 10 min. Didn’t talk about my chances but said that they’ll be drawing from the WL as April 30th approaches and that it’s difficult to predict how many people they’ll accept

Reactions: 3 users
I have a feeling he will be much more straight forward once May 1st hits. I’d wait to email again until the end of next week.

Emailed earlier today, and he responded within 5 minutes. Said that they'll have a good idea of how many they can accept from the alternate list tomorrow. Didn't say anything about my chances, only that they're notifying accepted students next week. Anyone else who emailed recently get something similar or other responses?
Got a similar response

Reactions: 1 user
Same exact response, very nice guy though

Reactions: 1 users
I'm wondering how you guys are wording your email to dean weisman about chances of coming off the waitlist? Everything I write comes off weird to me when I read it out loud lmao

I just use the language he does.
Am I getting off the WL= "Should I remain optimistic...."
Not getting off = "or is it in my best interest to make other plans..."

I'm wondering how you guys are wording your email to dean weisman about chances of coming off the waitlist? Everything I write comes off weird to me when I read it out loud lmao
If this makes your life any easier, based on the above posts, it seems like he gave everyone the exact same response so not sure its really worth inquiring at the moment.

• Haha
This is the human equivalent of people in Northwestern trying to figure out if the people who had an “acceptance protocol” in the portal before decisions got accepted via witchcraft theories and code deciphering.

IT DIDN’T WORK Y’ALL ; DON’T STRESS

Don’t read it into it too much; even if his response means something the limiting variable regardless is how many people withdraw.

There can be a crapton of people that withdraw so even if you got a negative response you get in, and you could have gotten a positive response but due to small amount of people withdrawing you don’t get pulled off the waitlist.

Don’t stress out, a lot of people got similar responses! It’s unfortunate but all you can do is wait.

I wish you all the best of luck in the coming week(s) and if theres any movement today or tomorrow I hope you’ll join us in our weekly session of getting drunk on Zoom this weekend!

So in your opinion do you think sending in a letter of intent is useless at this point? thanks for your insight btw!! i appreciate it

I think sending a LOI was most likely stronger before the Apr 30th deadline saying you’d drop all other acceptances but can still be strong if you state you’ll commit to enroll early and drop your WLs.

Send it to the admissions office and CC the dean if you’d like.

However, I don’t think emailing him to gauge WL chances right now will be much help as he will not be able to directly disclose your chances as it is still not definite how many acceptances have been (or will be) withdrawn.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we are required to select Plan to Enroll today? I haven’t really received any emails about it

Also committed today. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Does anyone know if we are required to select Plan to Enroll today? I haven’t really received any emails about it
"Plan to Enroll" has been available since February 19th. "Commit to Enroll" became available today. I don't believe AAMC requires you to select "Plan to enroll" or "Commit to enroll" by a certain date although I believe different schools have different deadlines as to when they need a final decision.

Last edited:
All schools require you to Plan to Enroll or Commit to Enroll today. If you Plan to Enroll, you have to withdraw your acceptances from all other schools but can stay on any waitlists; if you Commit you have to withdraw all acceptances AND waitlist spots. If you don't, you risk losing all of your acceptances including the school you PTE or CTE.

Note: not all schools require this. AMCAS recommends it. I interviewed at one school where the only thing they required was CTE by a certain date in June. That said, the majority of schools follow it.

Does anyone know what the average age of matriculants is? More trad or non-trad? Also has anyone spoken to current students who can comment on the administration? I’ve heard mixed things in previous years but haven’t really heard much this year in terms of how responsive they are and supportive etc. not sure if things changed with the new dean. Thanks everyone

One-two gap years is the average but theres a lot of people that are older as well.

The faculty is very supportive; Dean Weisman responds two minutes after a 2 AM email and they’ve all been doing info sessions + 2nd look and 3rd look in PST and EST for those in different time zone

I will complain about certain staff in terms of admissions and fin aid; they are hard to contact and the person who answers the admissions phone is rude and uninformed.

Emailed our man again. I’ll let y’all know if it’s any different than the last template he used!

Reactions: 9 users
God help those who had to deal with Agnes on phone call F

Is that the woman people are unfortunate enough to meet when they call the admissions line? Never asked for a name but I will so I can file a formal complaint when I matriculate.

Miami is the only school where I’m actually scared to call admissions because of how hostile they’ve been each time.

Yep it’s such a shame because of how welcoming and receptive the deans are meanwhile the first point of contact in admissions is hands down one of the -consistently- rudest individuals I’ve been in contact with on the admissions trail.

Yep it’s such a shame because of how welcoming and receptive the deans are meanwhile the first point of contact in admissions is hands down one of the -consistently- rudest individuals I’ve been in contact with on the admissions trail.

Damn I had no idea this happened. I never interacted by phone with admissions but if so many ppl are complaining about this you should def report it. They definitely don’t want this to keep happening that’s a huge turn off to the school. I would create an anonymous email address and send it to weisman with concrete examples of things that have happened. If it’s constructive feedback and well written I’m sure he’ll appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn I had no idea this happened. I never interacted by phone with admissions but if so many ppl are complaining about this you should def report it. They definitely don’t want this to keep happening that’s a huge turn off to the school. I would create an anonymous email address and send it to weisman with concrete examples of things that have happened. If it’s constructive feedback and well written I’m sure he’ll appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think its worth sending an anonymous email now or waiting til we are matriculated so it seems more credible if its from a real email with multiple people from my MS1 class signing?

Do you think its worth sending an anonymous email now or waiting til we are matriculated so it seems more credible if its from a real email with multiple people from my MS1 class signing?

Indubitably but Agnes needs to go ASAP

Happy Saturday.
Thank you for your email and continued interest in the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Next week the Admissions Committee will be selecting from the alternate list. I have shared your emails and persistent interest with the Chair/
Sincerely,

Just to let y’all know

Reactions: 7 users
Happy Saturday.
Thank you for your email and continued interest in the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Next week the Admissions Committee will be selecting from the alternate list. I have shared your emails and persistent interest with the Chair/
Sincerely,

Just to let y’all know
Was this from Weisman or admissions?

I haven't had to call the admissions office but I met Agnes in person during interviews and I thought she was nice :shrug:
Agreed, she was so nice, I think she just has a bad phone job/voice, I think she means really well!

• Haha
Agreed, she was so nice, I think she just has a bad phone job/voice, I think she means really well!

I’m sure she’s all nice and cute when her bosses, the deans and faculty are all around.

!

• Haha
Agnes is super sweet I think this whole situation has made everything more stressful (for us and them)! If I am not mistaken she's the one in charge of almost everything management wise and she's a one-woman team so cut her some slack please.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Agnes is super sweet I think this whole situation has made everything more stressful (for us and them)! If I am not mistaken she's the one in charge of almost everything management wise and she's a one-woman team so cut her some slack please.

She was a good selection of words I will not state in written well before the coronavirus situation hit.

Cool if shes nice to y’all, but it doesn’t give her an excuse to be rude like many many people have experienced with her over the phone.

• Love
Agnes is sweet is an oxymoron and satire with a hint of double entendre and possibly even some innuendo.

• Haha
Emailed Weisman last night regarding waitlist. Response was that there were no seats available, but that could change.

Yeah something is off. If there are no seats, then it means they either
1) overaccepted like hell
2) people saw the match list and changed their mind
Probably both.

Yeah something is off. If there are no seats, then it means they either
1) overaccepted like hell
2) people saw the match list and changed their mind
Probably both.

Lol yes very likely but I’m confused because people posted on here that they were withdrawing but yet no one posted that they got accepted off the waitlist yet. I mean obviously sdn is only a small subset of people but idk I guess we just have to wait for this week in agonyyyyyy

Just for reference as of today the Facebook page is at 240 members, the active groupme at 140 members, and we’ve seen 4 people say bye/withdrawing in the groupchat.

Lol yes very likely but I’m confused because people posted on here that they were withdrawing but yet no one posted that they got accepted off the waitlist yet. I mean obviously sdn is only a small subset of people but idk I guess we just have to wait for this week in agonyyyyyy
I've heard of some people getting off the waitlist, but I really hope there is some more movement this week. Especially considering other people may have gotten off the list at other schools and withdraw their A at Miller, we could see more movement in that regard

I've heard of some people getting off the waitlist, but I really hope there is some more movement this week. Especially considering other people may have gotten off the list at other schools and withdraw their A at Miller, we could see more movement in that regard
To clarify, you’ve heard of people getting off the alternate list since April 31st?

Last year they accepted 394 of 636 interviewed. This 240 and no waitlist movement is worrying