2020-2021 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else still not heard back post interview and post 7-day window?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
still havent heard a thing since submitting VERY early in the cycle😅

still havent heard a thing since submitting VERY early in the cycle😅

If you haven't gotten an II by now, it's a silent R. And as a huge UM fan, it's their loss champ. Keep swinging the bat and I'm sure you'll hit.

Reactions: 4 users
If you haven't gotten an II by now, it's a silent R. And as a huge UM fan, it's their loss champ. Keep swinging the bat and I'm sure you'll hit.
love this energy🔥🔥

Reactions: 2 users
I treated the employment section as a supplement to my AMCAS activities section, just use it to give them a timeline of your meaningful commitments since starting college and leave out anything that you aren't comfortable sharing.

And if it's still causing you stress, use a friend's phone to call the admissions office and report back to us just how much they stuttered in reassuring you that you do NOT have to disclose that lol. Someone's gotta give admissions a bit of entertainment every now and then.

Plan falls apart as soon as they say, even if you were an exotic dancer you have to put it in the experiences section. Then maybe just maybe the only hope would be a peer of yours also was an exotic dancer. And then you'll be in the clear.

Reactions: 1 user
Plan falls apart as soon as they say, even if you were an exotic dancer you have to put it in the experiences section. Then maybe just maybe the only hope would be a peer of yours also was an exotic dancer. And then you'll be in the clear.
That's why you call on a phone number not linked to your name and leave if off your application regardless of what admissions says. ;) But seriously, can you imagine Agnes' face?

This is absolutely not an issue for primary/secondary materials, don't lose a minute of sleep over it. For background checks, I'm slightly less sure but still would not be worried at all. My point is Miami's secondary is not a background check, it's just another chance to sell yourself honestly. You don't have to include everything, but the things you do include should be honest. If they wanted to hear every single club you've ever joined and every single job you've ever worked, there wouldn't be word/character/activity slot limits. Just search these forums for advice on "should I list <controversial political activist club> in my experiences?". The answer is always: you don't have to unless it's important to you and you are willing to accept the risk of biasing people against you.

That's why you call on a phone number not linked to your name and leave if off your application regardless of what admissions says. ;) But seriously, can you imagine Agnes' face?

This is absolutely not an issue for primary/secondary materials, don't lose a minute of sleep over it. For background checks, I'm slightly less sure but still would not be worried at all. My point is Miami's secondary is not a background check, it's just another chance to sell yourself honestly. You don't have to include everything, but the things you do include should be honest. If they wanted to hear every single club you've ever joined and every single job you've ever worked, there wouldn't be word/character/activity slot limits. Just search these forums for advice on "should I list <controversial political activist club> in my experiences?". The answer is always: you don't have to unless it's important to you and you are willing to accept the risk of biasing people against you.
To add to this, I just did my background check and only criminal charges were searched for

Haven't heard anything from Miami yet. Obviously it's an R at this point, but honestly not a good look for this school to ghost applicants like this after we pay so much money. It's my only school I haven't heard a thing from (out of many)

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't heard anything from Miami yet. Obviously it's an R at this point, but honestly not a good look for this school to ghost applicants like this after we pay so much money. It's my only school I haven't heard a thing from (out of many)
Lol last cycle I got the rejection in August of the following year

Diabetes and transplant are very well known as well.

Has the MD waitlist started moving yet?

Diabetes and transplant are very well known as well.

Has the MD waitlist started moving yet?
I've seen no WL movement from regular MD yet. But FB group numbers are decreasing so I'm thinking there should be some movement after the 30th

I think you may be confusing the primary app with the FL residency form—some of which ask for work experience.

Has anyone sent in updated transcripts/grades? Do we need to send in another official transcript for grade updates or can it just be an unofficial one sent through email?

Hey all -- for the life of me I can't obtain a UM email, which I was told I need to access the pre-matriculation checklist in Blackboard. I have a UM ID and CaneID / CaneLink login.

Slash if I can get around this "access block" to Blackboard another way, please let me know. IT told me they can't get me an email address and I can't get into Blackboard because my status in their system is "applicant" not "student". I was accepted a couple of weeks ago.

Can anyone speak to this? Thanks

Hey all -- for the life of me I can't obtain a UM email, which I was told I need to access the pre-matriculation checklist in Blackboard. I have a UM ID and CaneID / CaneLink login.

Slash if I can get around this "access block" to Blackboard another way, please let me know. IT told me they can't get me an email address and I can't get into Blackboard because my status in their system is "applicant" not "student". I was accepted a couple of weeks ago.

Can anyone speak to this? Thanks
Is there any reason we would need blackboard right now before school starts? I think CaneLink is all we have rn

Did anyone else receive an “MD/MPH Alternate List” email asking for a letter of intent? I know they have quite a bit of waitlist movement coming up but I wasn’t expecting them to require a letter of intent specifically. Will they only consider us if it’s a letter of intent rather than a letter of interest?

Is there any reason we would need blackboard right now before school starts? I think CaneLink is all we have rn
It says the pre-matriculation checklist in Blackboard needs to be completed. I'm also MD-MPH so I only have like 2 months to do that.

Did anyone else receive an “MD/MPH Alternate List” email asking for a letter of intent? I know they have quite a bit of waitlist movement coming up but I wasn’t expecting them to require a letter of intent specifically. Will they only consider us if it’s a letter of intent rather than a letter of interest?
Dang thought I was special

• Haha
Is this only for MD/MPH or is it for regular MD too?

FYI in case anyone was wondering, I reached out to confirm that all merit aid was spoken for as of now. This was confirmed. I was told to draft a letter to the scholarship committee making my case in the event that there is movement on/after the AMCAS traffic deadline. I was also given a handout detailing the criteria by which they rank us for merit aid.

FYI in case anyone was wondering, I reached out to confirm that all merit aid was spoken for as of now. This was confirmed. I was told to draft a letter to the scholarship committee making my case in the event that there is movement on/after the AMCAS traffic deadline. I was also given a handout detailing the criteria by which they rank us for merit aid.
Could you share that criteria?

Reactions: 4 users
Interesting. Did the Dean of admissions communicate this?

Could you share that criteria?
Nothing too out of the box, I'm not comfortable pasting it verbatim on here but basically it's a point-based system based on stats, pubs, leadership, community service, social justice/underserved work, and miscellaneous achievements.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you have the email we use to send letters to the scholarship committee?

No ironically I was not provided with that. Maybe I was supposed to send it to Dr. Weisman and then he would forward it on?? I have a feeling it will be forwarded to the right people if you just send it to admissions. Unfortunately at this point I am pulling out of the race as I can't justify the price difference between Miller and my other A. Just wanted to let other people know what was going on with merit aid, especially if this is your top choice.

Accepted yesterday to the MD/MPH program! Sent LOI on April 1st and it helped me receive an acceptance, so if you’re 100% sure you wanna do the MD/MPH at Miami, it's worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I also got this information after I emailed Dean Weisman directly asking about any additional financial aid or scholarship opportunities before committing.

I also got this information after I emailed Dean Weisman directly asking about any additional financial aid or scholarship opportunities before committing.
he provided you with the email? Is it different from the financial aid email or admissions office email?

I have a full tuition waiver at another school and i really want to go here but when I asked if there would be any additional funds beyond the 30k I was told that there may be increases after April 30th prioritizing CTE but this sounds risky idk I’d pick Miami if they at least shortened the gap a bit (currently at 100k)

I have a full tuition waiver at another school and i really want to go here but when I asked if there would be any additional funds beyond the 30k I was told that there may be increases after April 30th prioritizing CTE but this sounds risky idk I’d pick Miami if they at least shortened the gap a bit (currently at 100k)
You’re saying the difference between what Miami is giving you and what the other school is giving you is 100k? 🤯

Ever since COVID it’s been pretty much all online but the in person stuff is in scrubs.
In the pre covid world we just wore normal clothes to class, but you did need to wear some kind pants (unlike on zoom :p)

occasional sessions required scrubs/more formal clinical attire but not every day

is miami a school we need to email to tell them we want to stay on the waitlist?

well let me rephrase, i accepted my spot on the waitlist but after today do we need to email them again to stay on the waitlist?

Did anyone get an email back after saying you want to stay on the waitlist? Pure silence over here