2020-2021 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Now it says 242 members. Yesterday when I checked it said 217. So maybe there were some pending requests to join that just took a while for them to accept? I’m not sure if they called 25 people off the WL in the last week.
Someone on here mentioned he was accepted but couldn’t get added to the Facebook so I think this is the people that got accepted March 24/25

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They're likely meeting today WL fam.

Edit: seems like they met yesterday

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Just got pulled off the waitlist for the MD/MPH program yesterday via phone call! Fingers crossed for my WL crew

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who received a merit scholarship, is that in a letter/email separate from the email with the gradplus loans?

For anyone who received a merit scholarship, is that in a letter/email separate from the email with the gradplus loans?
Mine originally came in a separate letter, but was listed when I got the email with my full financial aid package. Hope that helps!

After much deliberation, I've just now withdrawn my acceptance here. Hoping it goes to one of you wonderful people on the waitlist. I wish you all the best of luck!

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Mine originally came in a separate letter, but was listed when I got the email with my full financial aid package. Hope that helps!

How long after being accepted did you get your canelink information? Thank you!

After much deliberation, I've just now withdrawn my acceptance here. Hoping it goes to one of you wonderful people on the waitlist. I wish you all the best of luck!
Best of luck to you wherever you wind up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any MD/MPH students that can speak about housing? Do students typically stay in Miami and commute during phase II OR is it typical to move twice?

Are there any MD/MPH students that can speak about housing? Do students typically stay in Miami and commute during phase II OR is it typical to move twice?
You most definitely want to move to Delray/Palm beach area to be central to your rotations.

You most definitely want to move to Delray/Palm beach area to be central to your rotations.
seconding this. there's already enough driving as is, trying to commute to everything from miami would be horrendously brutal

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to be out of town so I'm going to be in and out of the second look event tomorrow. Is there anyone who I could PM and talk about the summary of some of the topics I missed?

Does anyone know how we get added to the facebook group? And is there a separate one for the MD/MPH cohort?

Does anyone know how we get added to the facebook group? And is there a separate one for the MD/MPH cohort?
You can request to join the group if you search University of Miami Class of 2025 and once you’re added there is a md/mph group me that was started. SDN won’t let me post the link for some reason

Will there be another second look or is tomorrow the only one?

is the class full? haven't heard anything from them so just wishing they would hurry the heck up on my rejection letter.

just pulled off regular md today, hope one of you gets news soon!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Got some more info about scholarships during Second Look.

1) You are automatically considered for merit, need, and diversity scholarships. Merit is triggered by stats/achievements, need is triggered by an AMCAS fee waiver/AMCAS financially disadvantaged status, and diversity is triggered by an URM status. Dr. Weisman stated the committee does not really use the Google Form scholarship application except to evaluate students who feel they have extenuating circumstances that are not reflected by their AMCAS statuses.

2) At this time, most of the merit scholarship funds have been given out. However, Dr. Weisman stated they anticipate a lot more will go out in May when students holding scholarships withdraw. They did say that you may have to make your April 30 decision without receiving a scholarship dispo (which they prefer because they do not feel finances should influence your choice). CTE students are given priority in scholarship consideration. He also said letters for any major updates such as new publications, awards, etc can help your chances with merit scholarships.

3) If you have submitted FAFSA and have not received your aid package yet, reach out to FinAid ASAP because apparently sometimes there is a SSN discrepancy that prevents your FAFSA from being linked to your application. They seem like they are pretty on top of processing so reach out even if you only submitted recently.

Reactions: 2 users

1) You are automatically considered for merit, need, and diversity scholarships. Merit is triggered by stats/achievements, need is triggered by an AMCAS fee waiver/AMCAS financially disadvantaged status, and diversity is triggered by an URM status. Dr. Weisman stated the committee does not really use the Google Form scholarship application except to evaluate students who feel they have extenuating circumstances that are not reflected by their AMCAS statuses.

2) At this time, most of the merit scholarship funds have been given out. However, Dr. Weisman stated they anticipate a lot more will go out in May when students holding scholarships withdraw. They did say that you may have to make your April 30 decision without receiving a scholarship dispo (which they prefer because they do not feel finances should influence your choice). CTE students are given priority in scholarship consideration. He also said letters for any major updates such as new publications, awards, etc can help your chances with merit scholarships.

3) If you have submitted FAFSA and have not received your aid package yet, reach out to FinAid ASAP because apparently sometimes there is a SSN discrepancy that prevents your FAFSA from being linked to your application. They seem like they are pretty on top of processing so reach out even if you only submitted recently.
Thank you for this, I had this exact question and was unable to attend. If anybody has any additional insight from second look, please share!

I'm not sure why he would say this, because, if it was true, it is totally in the school's control to not make any awards until after the CTE deadline in order to assure that its preferences were satisfied and nobody would allow finances to influence their decision. It would also guarantee that CTE students receive priority, since they'd be the only ones receiving anything.

TBH, it sounds like nothing more than not so subtle pressure to withdraw from WLs and commit early if you haven't yet received an award. Also, if they are not using money, especially merit money, to influence decisions, why bother making awards at all, as opposed to just lowering tuition for everyone???? Funny how easy it is for people not having to sign loan documents to think that finances shouldn't influence decisions!!! :cool:

I'm not sure why he would say this, because, if it was true, it is totally in the school's control to not make any awards until after the CTE deadline in order to assure that its preferences were satisfied and nobody would allow finances to influence their decision. It would also guarantee that CTE students receive priority, since they'd be the only ones receiving anything.

TBH, it sounds like nothing more than not so subtle pressure to withdraw from WLs and commit early if you haven't yet received an award. Also, if they are not using money, especially merit money, to influence decisions, why bother making awards at all, as opposed to just lowering tuition for everyone???? Funny how easy it is for people not having to sign loan documents to think that finances shouldn't influence decisions!!! :cool:
I agree, financials are a huge factor in my decision like it or not hehe, but I think I'm paraphrasing it in a light that makes it sound worse than it came off. He was just saying that they have a set amount of scholarship funds and at this time they've given most of them out. If/when those funds are released, they will give them to other students because they give out as many scholarships as they can. Unfortunately that time will probably not come until May after the April 30 deadline. The prioritizing CTE students was said in the context that if you do not follow AMCAS traffic rules and withdraw from other As by April 30, that can affect your scholarship chances negatively (which is fair considering many schools will rescind your A for not following traffic rules). The whole thing about cost not influencing your decision was just sorta a naïve sidebar that I think every school will try to feed you. His justification was that he feels most medical schools cost around the same, and that he hopes people come to Miami because they genuinely vibe with the culture and mission and not because of (what he perceives to be) usually minor differences in cost.

Other than the admissions office lady, I have been thoroughly impressed by the warmth and frankness of the Miami staff. They have been very transparent about the process and what to expect.

I agree, financials are a huge factor in my decision like it or not hehe, but I think I'm paraphrasing it in a light that makes it sound worse than it came off. He was just saying that they have a set amount of scholarship funds and at this time they've given most of them out. If/when those funds are released, they will give them to other students because they give out as many scholarships as they can. Unfortunately that time will probably not come until May after the April 30 deadline. The prioritizing CTE students was said in the context that if you do not follow AMCAS traffic rules and withdraw from other As by April 30, that can affect your scholarship chances negatively (which is fair considering many schools will rescind your A for not following traffic rules). The whole thing about cost not influencing your decision was just sorta a naïve sidebar that I think every school will try to feed you. His justification was that he feels most medical schools cost around the same, and that he hopes people come to Miami because they genuinely vibe with the culture and mission and not because of (what he perceives to be) usually minor differences in cost.

Other than the admissions office lady, I have been thoroughly impressed by the warmth and frankness of the Miami staff. They have been very transparent about the process and what to expect.
I'm very glad to hear this, because Miami is one of my top choices for the next cycle! :) Just to be clear, CTE for Miami is around 6/15, NOT 4/30, which is the PTE deadline. Their saying that people who have not PTEd to Miami by the deadline will not be prioritized for scholarships makes perfect sense. As you can see, that is very different from saying they will prioritize people who commit 6 weeks before the deadline!

Of course, you are correct about all the admins saying we should focus on fit, not money. If they really believed money wasn't important, however, they wouldn't make it available only to those they wanted to attract -- they'd spread it around equally to everyone.

Thank you for this, I had this exact question and was unable to attend. If anybody has any additional insight from second look, please share!
I didn't make it to all of the sessions but overall it was a great day. One of the most interesting things mentioned was the DREAM program, which is apparently a sponsored "gap year" in between M3 and M4 for students who want to dedicate an extra year to research. Comes with a stipend iirc, maybe there's someone else on here who can elaborate on this?

Oh and that time when they were talking about student wellness and all the med student reps starting spamming "GET OFF REDDIT," that was fun too haha.

I will never understand how they say finances shouldn’t be a big or major factor lol. If that were the case they wouldn’t offer money to people in February or March

Does Miller give out laptops for first year students? Would it be advisable to purchase a laptop before hand?

Pre-II R, good luck to everyone else applying/waiting to hear back and enjoy Miami for those who've committed! It's a great city :)

• Care
Reactions: 2 users