2020-2021 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone receive confirmation from Michelle after sending their transcripts?
I emailed her to confirm and she responded and said she got it! My roommate said she got confirmation right away, though, without asking.

Members don't see this ad.

Current Medical students: what scrubs brands do you recommend/ is there a specific color everyone wears. I'm buying the cheapest scrubs I can find for anatomy lab, but wanted to see what recommendations y'all have for clerkships and stuff. I was looking into navy Figs but I'm really outside of my depth here.

Current Medical students: what scrubs brands do you recommend/ is there a specific color everyone wears. I'm buying the cheapest scrubs I can find for anatomy lab, but wanted to see what recommendations y'all have for clerkships and stuff. I was looking into navy Figs but I'm really outside of my depth here.
No need to buy scrubs for clerkships yet, but for surgery you get disposable scrubs that are surgery specific. At Jackson (IM) I’ve seen people wear all kinds of colors. I personally have figs in hunter green, the light blue, and navy scrubs and probably wear the navy ones the most.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know how we get added to the fb group? i sent the request months ago. i think it may have even asked for a passcode?

does anyone know how we get added to the fb group? i sent the request months ago. i think it may have even asked for a passcode?
you can message me privately if you know. thanks!

Was anyone able to get an interview invite without using 500 words for every single prompt, mandatory and optional? Maybe around 100-200 for the optional ones?

Was anyone able to get an interview invite without using 500 words for every single prompt, mandatory and optional? Maybe around 100-200 for the optional ones?
I definitely did not use the full 500 words for every prompt. Say as much as you have to say for each prompt, don't add fluff for extra word count

I definitely did not use the full 500 words for every prompt. Say as much as you have to say for each prompt, don't add fluff for extra word count

Same; I listed when asked to list and did not fill out all the optionals. Remember that readers get fatigued too so don’t use fluff

Reactions: 1 user
Tbh I’m pretty convinced that Miami doesn’t even read all the applicant essays - I think they prioritize the ones submitted earliest and skim others, but they’re definitely not reading all our essays. I can respectfully say, as an accepted med student in several strong med schools, that this app was probably the biggest waste of my time lol. I spent more time on this app than any other school and had hella strong passion for the school and matching ECs, but not a peep from them. In hindsight, I would have probably abandoned Miami’s app altogether and spent the time honing other essays. But that’s just my two cents I guess.

Reactions: 2 users
Tbh I’m pretty convinced that Miami doesn’t even read all the applicant essays - I think they prioritize the ones submitted earliest and skim others, but they’re definitely not reading all our essays. I can respectfully say, as an accepted med student in several strong med schools, that this app was probably the biggest waste of my time lol. I spent more time on this app than any other school and had hella strong passion for the school and matching ECs, but not a peep from them. In hindsight, I would have probably abandoned Miami’s app altogether and spent the time honing other essays. But that’s just my two cents I guess.
I totally hear you on this. OTOH, you really can't blame them for using a PITA application to weed out those with casual interest.

You also can't blame them for doing what everyone does, and that's resource protecting out candidates like you, who, it is apparent to them, are going to be "an accepted med student at several strong med schools." The biggest problem with the whole process, IMHO, is that we as applicants genuinely have no way to know in the beginning of the cycle where we stand, while the adoms who do this year in and year out know exactly which bucket we fall into 30 seconds into reviewing our file.

The result could very well be being ghosted, which means you wasted hours working on an application that was never going anywhere, either because you are obviously too good or not good enough. Obvious to them, but not to you! Also, because of all the liars that came before you, you have no opportunity to convince them of the sincerity of your interest if they determine in their infinite wisdom that they have no shot to actually land you.

Of course, their lack of transparency and communication is inexcusable. Welcome to the sellers' market. I am fully prepared for a ton of wasted time and disappointment as I embark on this process.

I totally hear you on this. OTOH, you really can't blame them for using a PITA application to weed out those with casual interest.

You also can't blame them for doing what everyone does, and that's resource protecting out candidates like you, who, it is apparent to them, are going to be "an accepted med student at several strong med schools." The biggest problem with the whole process, IMHO, is that we as applicants genuinely have no way to know in the beginning of the cycle where we stand, while the adoms who do this year in and year out know exactly which bucket we fall into 30 seconds into reviewing our file.

The result could very well be being ghosted, which means you wasted hours working on an application that was never going anywhere, either because you are obviously too good or not good enough. Obvious to them, but not to you! Also, because of all the liars that came before you, you have no opportunity to convince them of the sincerity of your interest if they determine in their infinite wisdom that they have no shot to actually land you.

Of course, their lack of transparency and communication is inexcusable. Welcome to the sellers' market. I am fully prepared for a ton of wasted time and disappointment as I embark on this process.
Wow well said, you’re completely right. There’s so many factors and dynamics that come into play in this, and obviously our sincerity to the school may not be as obvious to them as it is to us. Completely valid!

Wow well said, you’re completely right. There’s so many factors and dynamics that come into play in this, and obviously our sincerity to the school may not be as obvious to them as it is to us. Completely valid!
Yeah I’m super confused with how the admissions process works here and I was accepted. I had a pretty good cycle as well but UM was the last II I had so I thought I was ranked pretty poorly, but then they gave me a scholarship which didn’t make sense. It’d be interesting to know if they knew I’d have As by that point so if I wasn’t interested I wouldn’t accept the invite, because I had no idea I was competitive until the cycle started🤣.

Was anyone able to successfully substitute their 2nd semester of organic chemistry (which isn't required) for a 2nd quarter of biochemistry?

Some good points, however I must mention that Miami is the only school (out of 25+) that I did not hear a single thing from. This complete and utter lack of communication is without a doubt a poor administrative practice. The admissions committee at Miami (and any other committee which entirely withholds communications from a large amount of applicants) ought to be more respectful of the time and financial resources put into this application process by applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Some good points, however I must mention that Miami is the only school (out of 25+) that I did not hear a single thing from. This complete and utter lack of communication is without a doubt a poor administrative practice. The admissions committee at Miami (and any other committee which entirely withholds communications from a large amount of applicants) ought to be more respectful of the time and financial resources put into this application process by applicants.
Absolutely. They are among the most notorious when it comes to ghosting applicants. Just one of the many charms of the so-called sellers' market. Unfortunately for us, due to the intense competition, there is really no reward for the good guys or penalty for the bad ones, so we are totally at their mercy. Which is very ironic when you think about it, because they all preach humanism, ethics, morality, etc., and then some of them turn around and abuse their market power to treat their customers like absolute crap.

P.S. Based on my research, I fully expect to be treated exactly like you. Even so, I chose not to spite myself and to take my shot and apply. I will admit, however, FWIW, I am not prioritizing returning their secondary. I'm sure no one in South Beach is losing any sleep over that, and I'm not doing it as a silent protest, but I am devoting my attention to where I expect the biggest bang for my buck. As a result, I am making every effort to impress those schools that don't treat applicants like crap by turning their secondaries around as quickly as I can. Miami, with its never ending series of questions, will wait, as I'm certain I will wait after I submit.

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely. They are among the most notorious when it comes to ghosting applicants. Just one of the many charms of the so-called sellers' market. Unfortunately for us, due to the intense competition, there is really no reward for the good guys or penalty for the bad ones, so we are totally at their mercy. Which is very ironic when you think about it, because they all preach humanism, ethics, morality, etc., and then some of them turn around and abuse their market power to treat their customers like absolute crap.

P.S. Based on my research, I fully expect to be treated exactly like you. Even so, I chose not to spite myself and to take my shot and apply. I will admit, however, FWIW, I am not prioritizing returning their secondary. I'm sure no one in South Beach is losing any sleep over that, and I'm not doing it as a silent protest, but I am devoting my attention to where I expect the biggest bang for my buck. As a result, I am making every effort to impress those schools that don't treat applicants like crap by turning their secondaries around as quickly as I can. Miami, with its never ending series of questions, will wait, as I'm certain I will wait after I submit.
You, my friend are wise. Definely some savage comments but they’re not wrong at all lol.

Does the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine have any summer research programs between 1st and 2nd year or anything along those lines? Research opportunity that don't necessarily mean an MD PhD?