2020-2021 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Miami (Miller)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My dream school and undergrad institution #GoCanes

Reactions: 2 users
Miami is my dream school, I've lived in south Florida the past 8 years and love the area. Hopefully Miller has a desire for some non-traditionals :shifty:

Pretty sure this was the secondary app last year (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Good luck everyone!

Briefly describe the one clinical experience you have had that has most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not replicate your AMCAS personal statement.

Why have you selected the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine for your medical education? Please be as specific as possible.

Please provide a chronological list with dates AND a brief description of your clinical experiences/shadowing.

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering.

Please discuss a situation where you had to use your leadership skills.

Please briefly discuss your research experience.

Please provide a chronological list with dates of your employment.

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.)

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of any activities involving SPORTS (organized team sports, recreational activities that you play, watch or follow)

[OPTIONAL] Describe your most meaningful involvement in STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS.

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of your most memorable TRAVEL experience.

[OPTIONAL] Please provide a description of your HOBBIES and what you do for fun and relaxation.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. How are people navigating the first question? Are you guys writing about a different topic than your PS (which seems strange, given it asks for *most significant*) or just addressing it from a different angle (going to be pretty difficult...).

2. Are people coming close to the word limit? Feel like I'm getting my points across in 200-300 words.

Love what I'm from seen from the school, but damn pre-writing this secondary is a struggle.

1. How are people navigating the first question? Are you guys writing about a different topic than your PS (which seems strange, given it asks for *most significant*) or just addressing it from a different angle (going to be pretty difficult...).

2. Are people coming close to the word limit? Feel like I'm getting my points across in 200-300 words.

Love what I'm from seen from the school, but damn pre-writing this secondary is a struggle.

I'm not necessarily talking about specific clinical experiences in my PS, but I am of course doing it in my most meaningful experiences section of the application. I wonder if they consider it the same thing? I assume so. I may discuss a certain case on the secondary that was a part of my shadowing experience.

Hey y'all; if anyone has any questions about the NextGen curriculum, MD curriculum, and/or MD/MPH curriculum feel free to ask! I will be matriculating in the Fall and our cohort will be the first to experience this exciting new 1 + 3 program.

Here are the MD/MPH questions from last year in case anyone is looking:

Please describe how you envision you would use the public health training provided in the joint MD/MPH program in your future career as a physician.

Is there anything else you want to tell us about your interest in the MD/MPH program?

Please describe any public health experience you may have

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Hey y'all; if anyone has any questions about the NextGen curriculum, MD curriculum, and/or MD/MPH curriculum feel free to ask! I will be matriculating in the Fall and our cohort will be the first to experience this exciting new 1 + 3 program.

Please describe how you envision you would use the public health training provided in the joint MD/MPH program in your future career as a physician.

Is there anything else you want to tell us about your interest in the MD/MPH program?

What do you think are the potential benefits of the new curriculum compared to most other medical schools?

Could you briefly, maybe generally, explain how the new curriculum works and like the above poster, what are the benefits? I tried to look on the website link for info on the NextGen curriculum but would appreciate a clearer insight!

The main features of the NextGen program is introduction of the various phases rather than clinical years (MS1, MS2, MS3, MS4) which practically turn the the curriculum in 14 months of pre-clinical and the rest clinical clerkships; in essence its a 1 + 3 set-up.

One of the education techniques they are using is symptom based curriculum which really helps put students in the thought process of determining clinical differentials. While a traditional organ system might seem to be easier in terms of studying as one can just focus on one organ and move on to the next, in practice biological systems are never isolated as a patient is going to come in and complain of symptom(s) and you go from there. For example: chest pain causes could be cardiac, respiratory, GI related etc. etc or a combination of all of those. A lot of physicians and midlevels that I've worked with have told me that they would have loved to have that type of curriculum as it is a direct parallel to the thought process they use in practice.

The 1+3 set-up allows you to start doing clinical clerkships a year earlier and start getting exposure to various specialties along with honing your skills. I think the early year of clerkships is also really beneficial as it can help you decide what you like or what you don't like as you start preparing an application for residency.

As we start clerkships earlier, there is a scholarly concentration component that allows you to pursue a dual degree in 4 years, have dedicated research time in years 3 and 4 that can be really beneficial for competitive specialties, or potentially graduate in 3 years (note that for this last point it was briefly mentioned in second/third look and they haven't specified the details of the 3 year MD.)

Grading wise, phase 1/MS1 is confirmed true pass fail, and the first part of phase 2/MS2 they are actually planning to make it true pass-fail clerkship grades as well but it hasn't been confirmed yet. Phase 3/ MS3 and MS4 will have grades.

The MD students rotate in Jackson for phase 2 and the MD/MPH cohort rotate in Palm Beach JFK and public health related clerkships. For example, for the psychiatry clerkship there is a public health focus in which you will also be in an outpatient community psych clinic for individuals living with HIV/AIDS, and for family med at a clinic with a focus on uninsured immigrants etc, etc. Phase 3 you decide where you want to rotate regardless of whether you are MD or MD/MPH.

Granted, this is the first year of the program so I'm sure they'll be some quirks along the way but it seems very promising and they have been experimenting with certain components of the phases with previous classes so it won't necessarily be a totally blind run.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 5 users
Sounds like a great program, I'd love to start rotations a year early!

I'm not sure if this is appropriate to post here, but I'm a bit confused about the prereq biochemistry requirement for this school. MSAR says that biochemistry + lab is required, but the website says the lab is recommended. The website has the year as 2019-20 though so I'm not sure if they made it required for 2020-21? I haven't taken the lab and wasn't planning to so I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my money...thanks!

I'm not sure if this is appropriate to post here, but I'm a bit confused about the prereq biochemistry requirement for this school. MSAR says that biochemistry + lab is required, but the website says the lab is recommended. The website has the year as 2019-20 though so I'm not sure if they made it required for 2020-21? I haven't taken the lab and wasn't planning to so I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my money...thanks!

MSAR is sometimes inaccurate, go with the school specific requirements.

Per the website “ A course in biochemistry is now required. A biochemistry lab. will be recommended, but will NOT be required.”

I myself didn’t take Biochem lab.

MSAR is sometimes inaccurate, go with the school specific requirements.

Per the website “ A course in biochemistry is now required. A biochemistry lab. will be recommended, but will NOT be required.”

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is one of my top choices!! Hope to make it work :)

Neither did I. :cool:

• Love
Hey guys! I am an incoming M1 in the MD/MPH program and would love to answer any questions if you have any. I was totally looking forward to meeting some of you through hosting, so I'm pretty bummed about virtual interviews, but hoping to meet you guys through this! Feel free to message me about anything!

(also I never took biochem lab either lol)

Ugh, one of my top choices. And love those secondary questions - even though I'm definitely going to have to pre-write since it asks so much!!

"Please provide a chronological list with dates of your clinical experiences/shadowing"
How are you guys going to do this? Are you going to provide the hours as well and how long of a description for each?

"Please provide a chronological list with dates of your clinical experiences/shadowing"
How are you guys going to do this? Are you going to provide the hours as well and how long of a description for each?
I just put dates with a short description of each experience! Example below

Hospital Volunteer
01/2017 - 05/2018
I helped nurses attend to patients by serving water and providing warm blankets and pillows to patients. I also helped to restock the medical supplies in each room in order to make sure that the hospital is fully prepared when new patients arrive. Additionally, I helped to answer phone calls at the nursing station and to direct those calls to the appropriate individuals.

I just put dates with a short description of each experience! Example below

Hospital Volunteer
01/2017 - 05/2018
I helped nurses attend to patients by serving water and providing warm blankets and pillows to patients. I also helped to restock the medical supplies in each room in order to make sure that the hospital is fully prepared when new patients arrive. Additionally, I helped to answer phone calls at the nursing station and to direct those calls to the appropriate individuals.
are you going to mention hours? And if so would you include anticipated hours or just hours as of now?

New Miami grad here from the old MD/MPH program. With so many changes I have been rendered obsolete and will officially, gracefully bow out haha. I just wanted to stop by and wish everyone good luck in the cycle. I learned so much during my time there about medicine and of myself. You have great faculty and admin. Leadership is also actively changing (for the better, imo). I was once in your shoes years ago but it literally feels like yesterday; time honestly flies by. Easier said than done but please don't let this stress you out more than it already has to; the vast majority of you will be successful! ----------- GO CANES! []_[]

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
As far as the word limit are you finding yourselves reaching to the maximum word limit for all questions? I mean including the optional questions I just did not know whether to be writing about a love of sports for 500 words.

As far as the word limit are you finding yourselves reaching to the maximum word limit for all questions? I mean including the optional questions I just did not know whether to be writing about a love of sports for 500 words.
I personally didn't, especially for the ones about sports like you said. I feel like prompts with that you would end up adding alot of fluff to get it to 500 which they do not want to read. May be wrong though

I personally didn't, especially for the ones about sports like you said. I feel like prompts with that you would end up adding alot of fluff to get it to 500 which they do not want to read. May be wrong though
After looking up my secondary responses, I found that I averaged 200 words for the questions. The smallest was just shy of 150 and the longest was just over 300.

Important to add that I will be matriculating this summer.

For the brief descriptions of our clinical experiences/shadowing, did you guys basically copy the descriptions you used in the primary or changed it up completely? I don't know how many different ways one can explain a clinical experience, especially when they already ask us to go in-depth on our most meaningful one in a previous prompt.

Reactions: 2 users
Same question as ^^^, also for employment, since it only asks for chronological dates, are you guys adding any type of description?

The main features of the NextGen program is introduction of the various phases rather than clinical years (MS1, MS2, MS3, MS4) which practically turn the the curriculum in 14 months of pre-clinical and the rest clinical clerkships; in essence its a 1 + 3 set-up.

One of the education techniques they are using is symptom based curriculum which really helps put students in the thought process of determining clinical differentials. While a traditional organ system might seem to be easier in terms of studying as one can just focus on one organ and move on to the next, in practice biological systems are never isolated as a patient is going to come in and complain of symptom(s) and you go from there. For example: chest pain causes could be cardiac, respiratory, GI related etc. etc or a combination of all of those. A lot of physicians and midlevels that I've worked with have told me that they would have loved to have that type of curriculum as it is a direct parallel to the thought process they use in practice.

The 1+3 set-up allows you to start doing clinical clerkships a year earlier and start getting exposure to various specialties along with honing your skills. I think the early year of clerkships is also really beneficial as it can help you decide what you like or what you don't like as you start preparing an application for residency.

As we start clerkships earlier, there is a scholarly concentration component that allows you to pursue a dual degree in 4 years, have dedicated research time in years 3 and 4 that can be really beneficial for competitive specialties, or potentially graduate in 3 years (note that for this last point it was briefly mentioned in second/third look and they haven't specified the details of the 3 year MD.)

Grading wise, phase 1/MS1 is confirmed true pass fail, and the first part of phase 2/MS2 they are actually planning to make it true pass-fail clerkship grades as well but it hasn't been confirmed yet. Phase 3/ MS3 and MS4 will have grades.

The MD students rotate in Jackson for phase 2 and the MD/MPH cohort rotate in Palm Beach JFK and public health related clerkships. For example, for the psychiatry clerkship there is a public health focus in which you will also be in an outpatient community psych clinic for individuals living with HIV/AIDS, and for family med at a clinic with a focus on uninsured immigrants etc, etc. Phase 3 you decide where you want to rotate regardless of whether you are MD or MD/MPH.

Granted, this is the first year of the program so I'm sure they'll be some quirks along the way but it seems very promising and they have been experimenting with certain components of the phases with previous classes so it won't necessarily be a totally blind run.

Hope this helps!

I saw your avatar in a bunch of last year's threads, thanks for stopping by to help us out.

Does the scholarly concentration component begin in phase 3 (years 3/4) equivalent, or do you start this project long term from previous phases? Additionally, is it constrained to biomedical research or can it be done in public health/humanities sort of deal? This early clinical experience is some serious SPRINGTIME OF YOUTH good stuff

I saw your avatar in a bunch of last year's threads, thanks for stopping by to help us out.

Does the scholarly concentration component begin in phase 3 (years 3/4) equivalent, or do you start this project long term from previous phases? Additionally, is it constrained to biomedical research or can it be done in public health/humanities sort of deal? This early clinical experience is some serious SPRINGTIME OF YOUTH good stuff
The scholarly concentration project begins your second semester and is carried out longitudinally with benchmark, tangible aspects of the project due along the way. There is a long list of topics, many of which are humanities/ethics/public health focused and there is another long list in the process of being approved.

• Love
For the brief descriptions of our clinical experiences/shadowing, did you guys basically copy the descriptions you used in the primary or changed it up completely? I don't know how many different ways one can explain a clinical experience, especially when they already ask us to go in-depth on our most meaningful one in a previous prompt.

The descriptions of the clinical experiences/shadowing basically had the same content as what was on my primary, but I changed the wording to make them even more brief. For example, my most significant clinical experience answer for the secondary was about 150 words and I didnt use more than 1 sentence for other descriptions. I figured with such a long secondary, they really do mean brief!

@futuredoctor20202002 for "Briefly discuss your research experience" do/did you just straightforward explain what you did/found from your research or did you also tie in what skills you learned and how it pertains to medicine. I had two separate and completely unrelated research experiences so I wrote on both and added a paragraph on what I learned for now but wanted to ask in case

Would any current students mind elaborating on the global health opportunities available at UM? I'm having a hard time finding anything online.

For the question about a situation you used leadership experience, what counts as leadership? Would being a TA count? Or should it be more of a time when you were a leader of a team working toward a common goal? I have one for both, but I feel like writing about a TA would be more meaningful and it doesn't seem like there's really any other place to write about it.

Hello! I was wondering if any accepted students from the last cycle or current medical students be willing to read over my secondaries for UM. This is my top choice school and I want to make sure my secondaries are as good as possible. I would GREATLY appreciate any help. Thanks!

• Haha
Echoing the poster above ^ Miami's my top choice and if any accepted UM students are willing to look it over I'd be insanely thankful :)

Hi all! M3 MD/MPH checking in to wish you all luck this cycle. Happy to answer questions - I'm probably useless for info about the new curriculum (I'll defer to the M1/M2s for that), but can talk about public health, research, student clinics, general UM life, probably other things too...

Would any current students mind elaborating on the global health opportunities available at UM? I'm having a hard time finding anything online.

A lot of MD/MPH students do their required public health Field Experiences abroad - there's funding available, most who apply get it but I think it's typically not quite enough to cover all expenses (could be wrong though, I didn't go abroad). There's also spring break mission trips (recent/common ones include Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Haiti I think?), but all of those were cancelled this year due to COVID. University of Miami has strong ties in general to a lot of Caribbean and south/central american countries, so outside of the established student organizations you may be able to find docs doing work in other places that you can help support - for example, some students were involved with supporting the physicians who were doing medical relief efforts in the Bahamas after hurricane Dorian.

A lot of things are going to be up in the air this year because of COVID, so a lot of the opportunities available (mission trips, student clinics, etc) may look very different than they have in the past. I know that students are eager to get back to doing this work as soon as it is safe and responsible to do so, and are getting creative with other ways to help in the meantime.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone! So the MSAR says 3-5 letters of rec for Miami, but the website only states 3. Which do you all suggest to follow?

Hi everyone! So the MSAR says 3-5 letters of rec for Miami, but the website only states 3. Which do you all suggest to follow?
I think going by their official website is always the safer bet

The website actually says “in addition to the letters described above, applicants may submit a maximum of two more letters to support their application.” So I think 5 is the max.

I submitted 5 last year so you should be fine

@futuredoctor20202002 for "Briefly discuss your research experience" do/did you just straightforward explain what you did/found from your research or did you also tie in what skills you learned and how it pertains to medicine. I had two separate and completely unrelated research experiences so I wrote on both and added a paragraph on what I learned for now but wanted to ask in case
Sorry for the very late response! I'm in the MD/MPH program so started class July 1st and it's been a bit challenging as other MD/MPHers can probs attest to haha. PM me and I can send you what I wrote for my research essay! It briefly explained what my role in the research project was, what was found, what I learned and how that pertains to medicine (basically exactly what you mentioned). Since I had 500 words, I was able to discuss both of my research projects that were completed in different labs and totally unrelated.

For the question about a situation you used leadership experience, what counts as leadership? Would being a TA count? Or should it be more of a time when you were a leader of a team working toward a common goal? I have one for both, but I feel like writing about a TA would be more meaningful and it doesn't seem like there's really any other place to write about it.
Hmmm I would say stick to what the prompt is asking and focus on the experience that shows that you are a leader. The question itself is asking about a time when you used your leadership skills, so if you think the TA experience fits that bill and you can talk more about it, I would say go for it. I don't think it has to be leadership roles in the literal sense based on this wording.

Hello! I was wondering if any accepted students from the last cycle or current medical students be willing to read over my secondaries for UM. This is my top choice school and I want to make sure my secondaries are as good as possible. I would GREATLY appreciate any help. Thanks!
Echoing the poster above ^ Miami's my top choice and if any accepted UM students are willing to look it over I'd be insanely thankful :)

The MD/MPH students have midterms next week, but I can try to look at the essays next weekend if you are willing to wait to submit. Sometimes Miami takes a while to get secondaries out anyways, but just let me know!

"Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering."
"Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering."

For these questions should I just list the activities and dates or should I also include a short description of what I did?

For these questions should I just list the activities and dates or should I also include a short description of what I did?
For clinical experience and shadowing it asks for a brief description. It doesn't ask for a description for community service/volunteering. (based on last year's prompts)

Hi! Can you provide the all the questions for the secondaries! Thanks!