2019-2020 Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would it be weird to send an update that says that I have submitted two papers? ... They have not yet been accepted yet by the paper, but are in submission....
Wouldn’t hurt but I think Michigan is nearing the end and two submitted papers won’t make a difference

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Wouldn’t hurt but I think Michigan is nearing the end and two submitted papers won’t make a difference

unless of course... one of them was a Nobel discovery!

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
That would make me sad. They got significantly more apps this year than what was given on their 5 year average sheet.

Reactions: 1 user
That would make me sad. They got significantly more apps this year than what was given on their 5 year average sheet.
The number of IIs is driven by expected yield (and, of course, by number of seats they have to fill), not by number of apps. I think many schools saw their yields increase last year under the new protocols, so some are realizing they don't need to interview quite so many applicants in order to get to the number of As required to fill their classes.

The number of IIs is driven by expected yield (and, of course, by number of seats they have to fill), not by number of apps. I think many schools saw their yields increase last year under the new protocols, so some are realizing they don't need to interview quite so many applicants in order to get to the number of As required to fill their classes.

ratz

• Haha
Number of interviews never correlated with Yield for planned attendance.
Some schools have IIs offered significantly exceed #Acceptances/yield , while other schools cut it much closer. Seems arbitrary. Compare NYU, Michigan, Feinberg, Harvard, Michigan, Columbia, Cornell. Post II acceptance rates (A’s/interviews) highly varies, and the rate already takes into account yield.

Just curious, how did the new protocols increase yield? That’s pretty interesting and I didn’t know that

Just curious, how did the new protocols increase yield? That’s pretty interesting and I didn’t know that
It's not an absolute fact, but rather, more of a theory. Check out last year's WL support thread for more details.

In a nutshell, schools used to have a tool called the Multiple Acceptance Report that allowed them to see what other schools their accepted candidates held As at. Data developed over many years allowed schools to pretty accurately determine their yield based on this information, so they were able to offer As above and beyond the number of seats they needed to fill with a high level of confidence that they would not be over accepting.

The new protocols coincided with a revamping of the so-called traffic rules that also involved the elimination of the MAR. This caused adcoms to be more conservative in the number of As they issued, since they had no idea where else their acceptees held As, so they didn't know what their yield would look like. Everyone who might had an A in the past but did not get one last year was placed on the WL, along with everyone who would have been on the WL even in prior years (i.e., less As and more WLs). This caused a lot of angst on the thread last year, as people were speculating when the great wave of WL movement would occur. It never really came.

There was WL movement last year, but, if anything, it was less than in prior years (and with more people than ever before on the WL). The theory comes down to basic math -- less initial As led to less people holding fewer multiple As, which led to higher yields (candidates had fewer choices, and, thus, fewer As to turn down), less seats eventually opening up, and less WL movement. The same number of seats were ultimately filled with fewer initial As and somewhat higher yields than in years past. An apparently unintended consequence of the new protocols that, in general, benefited schools, to the detriment of applicants, who ended up having fewer choices and less freedom of movement, as early CTE deadlines at some schools forced them to withdraw from WLs they would have been allowed to remain on in prior years.

This has not yet been confirmed by published numbers, but it appears to be what happened anecdotally through reporting here on SDN.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
It's not an absolute fact, but rather, more of a theory. Check out last year's WL support thread for more details.

In a nutshell, schools used to have a tool called the Multiple Acceptance Report that allowed them to see what other schools their accepted candidates held As at. Data developed over many years allowed schools to pretty accurately determine their yield based on this information, so they were able to offer As above and beyond the number of seats they needed to fill with a high level of confidence that they would not be over accepting.

The new protocols coincided with a revamping of the so-called traffic rules that also involved the elimination of the MAR. This caused adcoms to be more conservative in the number of As they issued, since they had no idea where else their acceptees held As, so they didn't know what their yield would look like. Everyone who might had an A in the past but did not get one last year was placed on the WL, along with everyone who would have been on the WL even in prior years (i.e., less As and more WLs). This caused a lot of angst on the thread last year, as people were speculating when the great wave of WL movement would occur. It never really came.

There was WL movement last year, but, if anything, it was less than in prior years (and with more people than ever before on the WL). The theory comes down to basic math -- less initial As led to less people holding fewer multiple As, which led to higher yields (candidates had fewer choices, and, thus, fewer As to turn down), less seats eventually opening up, and less WL movement. The same number of seats were ultimately filled with fewer initial As and somewhat higher yields than in years past. An apparently unintended consequence of the new protocols that, in general, benefited schools, to the detriment of applicants, who ended up having fewer choices and less freedom of movement, as early CTE deadlines at some schools forced them to withdraw from WLs they would have been allowed to remain on in prior years.

This has not yet been confirmed by published numbers, but it appears to be what happened anecdotally through reporting here on SDN.

Wow thanks for the detailed response! I will definitely have to look into that thread over winter break but that’s good to know!

II today! Complete 7/4 so there's hope for everyone!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any med students out there that could speak to the culture on clinical rotations? How hands on are you as a med student? Are your treated well? Any info would be great! Feel free to PM me if you are not comfortable posting online.

Hit with the big 'ole R! Honestly don't even remember when I was complete lol sometime in July

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Yes, pre-II. I honestly respect schools that give responses. I think it's pretty gross to leave applicants on read.
You and me both man. I just hope uncle mich gives me an II from Santa and not an axe

Mass send em michigan. Been expectin this one for awhile

didn’t get an R yet... OOS and mcat only 515, you think I have any hope?

Reapplicant checking in. Received my rejection from umich med the Friday before Christmas 2 years ago rip. Also Umich alum, makes the rejection hurt more

didn’t get an R yet... OOS and mcat only 515, you think I have any hope?

In a similar situation, really hoping surviving the R wave means something, especially since I was complete in July

Reactions: 9 users
Got the acceptance!!!!! Omg I literally thought I had failed an MMI

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
OMG OMG OMG!!
A at 7:20am!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 25 users
Accepted! Dream school - I couldnt be happier. Does anyone know when we receive more info? :)

• Love
1576516867882.png

• Haha
Hey hey Michigan doubled their michigan monday iis today!... To 13.
They have already given out 220 admits, so frankly I'm surprised they are still giving any new ii's

Reactions: 4 users
Hey hey Michigan doubled their michigan monday iis today!... To 13.
They have already given out 220 admits, so frankly I'm surprised they are still giving any new ii's
do you think they will give out more next Monday, or do you think today basically concludes their ii's? :(

do you think they will give out more next Monday, or do you think today basically concludes their ii's? :(

The admissions office will be closed from 12/23 to 01/01 so I doubt any more II’s will be sent out until after the New Year.

Hoping some of us hear back then!

The admissions office will be closed from 12/23 to 01/01 so I doubt any more II’s will be sent out until after the New Year.

Hoping some of us hear back then!
oh yeah oops, thats what i meant...but yeah hoping after the new years they send out a few more ii's. fingers crossed

Accepted today!!! Interviewed 11/01. Sending good vibes to all of you waiting to hear back!!

Reactions: 10 users
Completed late July and still haven't heard back. Does this school accept updates?

Dean’s Scholarship - Full tuition.
I don’t know what to do with myself. :X3::X3::X3:

• Love
Reactions: 26 users