2019-2020 NYU, Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary received. Same prompts as last year. Word count is now 500 for all essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure these are coming out in waves. I just submitted mine and am complete. Prompts haven't changed.

Reactions: 1 user
No secondary here.

Edit: received one shortly after posting

Last edited by a moderator:
Please indicate which specialty you are interested in applying for (Please choose one):
Internal Medicine -- Pediatrics -- OB/Gyn -- Surgery

Please indicate your reasons for choosing this particular field. Please demonstrate for our admission committee how your previous health-related and non-health-related experiences and your personal attributes helped inform your decision. 500 Words

(Optional) Applicants have occasionally had to overcome significant adversities in their lives. Our admission committee would be most interested not only in hearing about how you overcame such an adversity, but also how doing so helped you succeed. 500 Words

(Optional) Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record, or other application irregularities, not already addressed elsewhere. 500 Words

@PapaGuava

Does anyone know for surgery, since it's primary care related, are they meaning that they would want you to stay in general surgery after residency, or can you talk about wanting to specialize after general surgery residency??

^Most likely gen surg.

For the first prompt, should we tie in aspects of NYU-LI's program, or should we mainly just focus on why specialty X?

^Most likely gen surg.

For the first prompt, should we tie in aspects of NYU-LI's program, or should we mainly just focus on why specialty X?
I mostly focused on why specialty x, but did mention a specific residency program I was interested in at NYU and how I saw it fitting in with my goals in medicine.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Under "document upload" should we upload CV?

No, do not upload a CV unless specifically asked. These uploads are for 1 page updates if you have something substantial to tell the school in the middle of the cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im really excited about this school. The free tuition is awesome. Does the fact this school is new bother anyone? With my stats, I would be happy to go anywhere. Just want to get some inputs. Thanks

Do you think applying to NYU LI would affect applications to NYU langone? Do the committees talk/figure out which one will accept you so you don't have 2 from NYU?
No, they’re completely separate schools, with completely different dean’s, with completely different admissions Committee’s

No, they’re completely separate schools, with completely different dean’s, with completely different admissions Committee’s

Do you think this school will place more emphasis on ECs and less on stats than NYU when it comes to admissions?

Do you think this school will place more emphasis on ECs and less on stats than NYU when it comes to admissions?
I have no idea. It’s tuition free and a 3 year program. I’m sure it’s very competitive

From their admissions page.

I just got my secondary, and I'm confused. My interpretation was that the early conditional residency application is optional, but it doesn't look that way on the secondary.

I'm pretty confident I want to go into primary care, but I'm not sure I want to make a binding commitment to a specific residency right now. Did I just waste my money applying?
I don't think it's binding cause it says, "may also be offered a conditionally guaranteed position in one of our linked ACGME-accredited residencies. "
But then again, I'm not too sure

I don't think it's binding cause it says, "may also be offered a conditionally guaranteed position in one of our linked ACGME-accredited residencies. "
But then again, I'm not too sure

So if you are accepted, then you may be selected for the guaranteed residency, which you can still decline. Right?

But it's still a mandatory question on the secondary. I'm unsure how to answer the question, and I wonder if a lack of certainty about this would indicate that this school is not a "fit" for me.

@vomitcom @EmbryonalCarcinoma

So if you are accepted, then you may be selected for the guaranteed residency, which you can still decline. Right?

But it's still a mandatory question on the secondary. I'm unsure how to answer the question, and I wonder if a lack of certainty about this would indicate that this school is not a "fit" for me.

@vomitcom @EmbryonalCarcinoma

I’m sure you can come up with a good answer. Tie in the importance of primary care. If you’re not interested in primary care it isn’t a good fit though.

From their admissions page.

I just got my secondary, and I'm confused. My interpretation was that the early conditional residency application is optional, but it doesn't look that way on the secondary.

I'm pretty confident I want to go into primary care, but I'm not sure I want to make a binding commitment to a specific residency right now. Did I just waste my money applying?

This is a 3 year medical school which does not give you a choice of preparing for specialties outside of the residencies they plan to offer. I would think you can be in any of the primary residencies but wouldn't be able to apply to things like dermatology because you changed your mind.

I'm quite interested in geriatrics, which is generally considered part of primary care, but that's not one of the choices available in the question. Would it be possible to to apply to it if I went there?
As far as I know Geriatrics is a fellowship that comes after internal or family medicine.

I'm quite interested in geriatrics, which is generally considered part of primary care, but that's not one of the choices available in the question. Would it be possible to to apply to it if I went there?
to go into geriatrics, you'd have to do IM -> fellowship in geriatrics or FM -> fellowship in geriatrics so you're good if you select IM

Are the optional essay questions actually optional? Or are they variations of the typical "overcoming a challenge" and "explain any academic irregularities" prompts?

Does anyone know how early you can start research here? I didn’t see it mentioned anywhere on the site

I looked on MSAR and did not see stats for average/median GPA and MCAT from last year's cycle. If anyone knows this information- please share. Thanks!

I looked on MSAR and did not see stats for average/median GPA and MCAT from last year's cycle. If anyone knows this information- please share. Thanks!

Because it's a new school and MSAR only has data from two cycles ago and before.

so basically I applied to a top tier school without knowing that it was a top tier school.. LOL! welp gg.

it's safe to assume that its similar to NYU (3.8 and 520) or something like that

I am stuck between IM and Peds. If I pick one or the other, can I switch once I get there?

Verified 7/17, Secondary Received 7/17 OOS

Is CASPER required here? or is it just for the other NYU Langone?

OOS, verified 7/15/19, 2° same day, IM, and submitted shortly after this week. Hoping for the best, this is the dream right here...

Last edited:
OOS, verified 7/15/19, II same day, IM, and submitted shortly after this week. Hoping for the best, this is the dream right here...
You mean "secondary same day" or did you get an II the same day you were marked as complete? If so, congrats!