You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 NYU, Long Island
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Secondary received. Same prompts as last year. Word count is now 500 for all essays.
D
deleted993760
@walterwhite3556
Can you post them
Can you post them
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Secondary received. Same prompts as last year. Word count is now 500 for all essays.
When were you verified?
May 31stWhen were you verified?
D
deleted972488
No secondary here.
Edit: received one shortly after posting
Edit: received one shortly after posting
Last edited by a moderator:
D
deleted972488
Please indicate which specialty you are interested in applying for (Please choose one):
Internal Medicine -- Pediatrics -- OB/Gyn -- Surgery
Please indicate your reasons for choosing this particular field. Please demonstrate for our admission committee how your previous health-related and non-health-related experiences and your personal attributes helped inform your decision. 500 Words
(Optional) Applicants have occasionally had to overcome significant adversities in their lives. Our admission committee would be most interested not only in hearing about how you overcame such an adversity, but also how doing so helped you succeed. 500 Words
(Optional) Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record, or other application irregularities, not already addressed elsewhere. 500 Words
@PapaGuava
Internal Medicine -- Pediatrics -- OB/Gyn -- Surgery
Please indicate your reasons for choosing this particular field. Please demonstrate for our admission committee how your previous health-related and non-health-related experiences and your personal attributes helped inform your decision. 500 Words
(Optional) Applicants have occasionally had to overcome significant adversities in their lives. Our admission committee would be most interested not only in hearing about how you overcame such an adversity, but also how doing so helped you succeed. 500 Words
(Optional) Please comment on any significant fluctuations in your academic record, or other application irregularities, not already addressed elsewhere. 500 Words
@PapaGuava
SinglePayerNow
Full Member
^Most likely gen surg.
For the first prompt, should we tie in aspects of NYU-LI's program, or should we mainly just focus on why specialty X?
For the first prompt, should we tie in aspects of NYU-LI's program, or should we mainly just focus on why specialty X?
I mostly focused on why specialty x, but did mention a specific residency program I was interested in at NYU and how I saw it fitting in with my goals in medicine.^Most likely gen surg.
For the first prompt, should we tie in aspects of NYU-LI's program, or should we mainly just focus on why specialty X?
SinglePayerNow
Full Member
Under "document upload" should we upload CV?
D
deleted972488
Under "document upload" should we upload CV?
No, do not upload a CV unless specifically asked. These uploads are for 1 page updates if you have something substantial to tell the school in the middle of the cycle.
GloballyMed
Full Member
Im really excited about this school. The free tuition is awesome. Does the fact this school is new bother anyone? With my stats, I would be happy to go anywhere. Just want to get some inputs. Thanks
Does anyone know if they prescreen?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted972488
Does anyone know if they prescreen?
I'm guessing probably not since I got a secondary on day 1 of transmission.
Anybody else still not receive a secondary?
+1
D
deleted972488
Do you think applying to NYU LI would affect applications to NYU langone? Do the committees talk/figure out which one will accept you so you don't have 2 from NYU?
Probably not.
D
deleted994889
Primary 6/28
Secondary received 6/28
Secondary received 6/28
No, they’re completely separate schools, with completely different dean’s, with completely different admissions Committee’sDo you think applying to NYU LI would affect applications to NYU langone? Do the committees talk/figure out which one will accept you so you don't have 2 from NYU?
GloballyMed
Full Member
No, they’re completely separate schools, with completely different dean’s, with completely different admissions Committee’s
Do you think this school will place more emphasis on ECs and less on stats than NYU when it comes to admissions?
D
deleted972488
Do you think this school will place more emphasis on ECs and less on stats than NYU when it comes to admissions?

I have no idea. It’s tuition free and a 3 year program. I’m sure it’s very competitiveDo you think this school will place more emphasis on ECs and less on stats than NYU when it comes to admissions?
gemcattini
Full Member
.
Last edited:
D
deleted972488
do they ask if you applied to the other?
I imagine no...
23LeGoatJames23
Full Member
Do you think they prescreen? I submitted my primary on May 30th and still haven't received a secondary invitePrimary 6/28
Secondary received 6/28
When did you submit your application?
Verified May 30
I don't think it's binding cause it says, "may also be offered a conditionally guaranteed position in one of our linked ACGME-accredited residencies. "From their admissions page.
I just got my secondary, and I'm confused. My interpretation was that the early conditional residency application is optional, but it doesn't look that way on the secondary.
I'm pretty confident I want to go into primary care, but I'm not sure I want to make a binding commitment to a specific residency right now. Did I just waste my money applying?
But then again, I'm not too sure
I don't think it's binding cause it says, "may also be offered a conditionally guaranteed position in one of our linked ACGME-accredited residencies. "
But then again, I'm not too sure
So if you are accepted, then you may be selected for the guaranteed residency, which you can still decline. Right?
But it's still a mandatory question on the secondary. I'm unsure how to answer the question, and I wonder if a lack of certainty about this would indicate that this school is not a "fit" for me.
@vomitcom @EmbryonalCarcinoma
D
deleted972488
So if you are accepted, then you may be selected for the guaranteed residency, which you can still decline. Right?
But it's still a mandatory question on the secondary. I'm unsure how to answer the question, and I wonder if a lack of certainty about this would indicate that this school is not a "fit" for me.
@vomitcom @EmbryonalCarcinoma
I’m sure you can come up with a good answer. Tie in the importance of primary care. If you’re not interested in primary care it isn’t a good fit though.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From their admissions page.
I just got my secondary, and I'm confused. My interpretation was that the early conditional residency application is optional, but it doesn't look that way on the secondary.
I'm pretty confident I want to go into primary care, but I'm not sure I want to make a binding commitment to a specific residency right now. Did I just waste my money applying?
This is a 3 year medical school which does not give you a choice of preparing for specialties outside of the residencies they plan to offer. I would think you can be in any of the primary residencies but wouldn't be able to apply to things like dermatology because you changed your mind.
As far as I know Geriatrics is a fellowship that comes after internal or family medicine.I'm quite interested in geriatrics, which is generally considered part of primary care, but that's not one of the choices available in the question. Would it be possible to to apply to it if I went there?
to go into geriatrics, you'd have to do IM -> fellowship in geriatrics or FM -> fellowship in geriatrics so you're good if you select IMI'm quite interested in geriatrics, which is generally considered part of primary care, but that's not one of the choices available in the question. Would it be possible to to apply to it if I went there?
Are the optional essay questions actually optional? Or are they variations of the typical "overcoming a challenge" and "explain any academic irregularities" prompts?
D
deleted972488
Are the optional essay questions actually optional? Or are they variations of the typical "overcoming a challenge" and "explain any academic irregularities" prompts?
Optional.
D
deleted972488
Does anyone know how early you can start research here? I didn’t see it mentioned anywhere on the site
I think it said something about research integrated into year 1.
I looked on MSAR and did not see stats for average/median GPA and MCAT from last year's cycle. If anyone knows this information- please share. Thanks!
D
deleted972488
I looked on MSAR and did not see stats for average/median GPA and MCAT from last year's cycle. If anyone knows this information- please share. Thanks!
Because it's a new school and MSAR only has data from two cycles ago and before.
it's safe to assume that its similar to NYU (3.8 and 520) or something like thatI looked on MSAR and did not see stats for average/median GPA and MCAT from last year's cycle. If anyone knows this information- please share. Thanks!
D
deleted820490
I am stuck between IM and Peds. If I pick one or the other, can I switch once I get there?
Verified 7/17, Secondary Received 7/17 OOS
Is CASPER required here? or is it just for the other NYU Langone?
D
deleted972488
No CASPer for the Long Island campus.Is CASPER required here? or is it just for the other NYU Langone?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No CASPer for the Long Island campus.
got it. Thanks <3
starbucksmedvanillaice
Full Member
Is it not worth applying here if youre not sure if you want to go into primary care?
OOS, verified 7/15/19, 2° same day, IM, and submitted shortly after this week. Hoping for the best, this is the dream right here...
Last edited:
Considering their development and mission is to train primary care hopefuls...Is it not worth applying here if youre not sure if you want to go into primary care?
You mean "secondary same day" or did you get an II the same day you were marked as complete? If so, congrats!OOS, verified 7/15/19, II same day, IM, and submitted shortly after this week. Hoping for the best, this is the dream right here...