2019-2020 NYU, Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II for OBGYN last week!

They do MMIs (there's some info on their website under admissions).

Yes! Just checked their website, guess I should've done a better job looking haha. Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not only do they do MMIs, one of them is a group MMI too #shudder
is it hybrid? i don't know if I'm making that up but I thought I saw somewhere that it's MMI + traditional

Members don't see this ad :)
is it hybrid? i don't know if I'm making that up but I thought I saw somewhere that it's MMI + traditional
I think that's NYU main campus. From what I can gather its MMI with one station being a group MMI scenario. Haven't heard anything about traditional, but could be mistaken.

II next week!

Anyone II already? Any word on the amount of interviews they’re sending out comparative to last years 10% post II rate lol

Any current students at NYULI willing to chat about their experience?

Reactions: 1 users
Would it be way too late to complete a secondary here? :(

Does their MMI have a traditional/open-file component like Langone too?

Long II day but was very informative and exciting to be there.

Wish they touched a little bit on fellowship match rates/locations.

Had to sign a non-disclosure so can’t delve into the specifics but MMI wasn’t too bad; first MMI style interview so it was a little nervewrecking at first but everyones easy going and friendly enough to guide you through it. Group activity was fun as well!

My only concern is that there was 20 people on interview day; that’s already more than half the possible seats so judging by last years post II acceptance rate they are maintaining it at 10%ish

Hope y’all enjoy your stay !

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do we know how many interview days there will be?

I just recently interviewed here and it was a great experience. The deans really cared about our experience! Does anyone know if they are receptive to thank you letters and who to address them to?

Also interviewed here on the 17th and had a nice experience! It was really nice to meet the other applicants :) I'm wondering the exact same thing. I'm thinking we would just submit something to the general admissions address?

I just recently interviewed here and it was a great experience. The deans really cared about our experience! Does anyone know if they are receptive to thank you letters and who to address them to?
Also interviewed here on the 17th and had a nice experience! It was really nice to meet the other applicants :) I'm wondering the exact same thing. I'm thinking we would just submit something to the general admissions address?

School specifically said during my interview day to not send thank you letters as the admission committee would neither read it or let it have an impact on the process.

Reactions: 2 users

Had to sign a non-disclosure so can’t delve into the specifics but MMI wasn’t too bad; first MMI style interview so it was a little nervewrecking at first but everyones easy going and friendly enough to guide you through it. Group activity was fun as well!

My only concern is that there was 20 people on interview day; that’s already more than half the possible seats so judging by last years post II acceptance rate they are maintaining it at 10%ish

They don’t talk about fellowships because their students are meant to be PCPs. That’s the program’s mission statement. They are also brand new (one M1 class currently) and wouldn’t have that data anyway. Hope that helps!

I have a question about MMI's in general, are we supposed to talk the entire allotted time or are answers supposed to be 1-2 mins to allow for follow up questions?

I would be extremely hesitant to give this a hard and fast rule. At my MMI here, the dean said that either worked, it was just a matter of preference.
Interesting! Hope I haven’t been doing mine wrong.

They don’t talk about fellowships because their students are meant to be PCPs. That’s the program’s mission statement. They are also brand new (one M1 class currently) and wouldn’t have that data anyway. Hope that helps!
~1/3 of my secondary essay here was talking about my interest in cardiology and I got an II for IM, FWIW.

You can still be PCP with fellowships for certain patient populations. Ex: HIV/Hep C with ID

Winthrop has been around as a residency option for a while so it was a question i specifically asked the IM residents during lunch but they weren’t sure neither.

I just submitted there. Always thought it was the same as NYU program. Lol. I mentioned that I wanted to specialize in oncology after residency. Did I just shoot myself in the foot, since they only want to train PCP?

I love how people did not post their R status for this school after the mass Rs they sent out lol

I love how people did not post their R status for this school after the mass Rs they sent out lol
Didn’t know they were sent out.

Was it a mass pre II R or post II?

Didn’t know they were sent out.

Was it a mass pre II R or post II?
I think this person is confusing NYU-LI and NYU Langone. They’re two completely different admissions committees and schools.

In recent weeks I have greatly started to consider FM as a career - Would it be too late to submit my primary to the NYU-LI program?

In recent weeks I have greatly started to consider FM as a career - Would it be too late to submit my primary to the NYU-LI program?
They don’t have a FM residency option. They have IM, OB, Peds, or Surgery. It probably isn’t too late but the school is so new so who knows how many interviews they’re conducting this year.

• Sad
They don’t have a FM residency option. They have IM, OB, Peds, or Surgery. It probably isn’t too late but the school is so new so who knows how many interviews they’re conducting this year.
Oh, ...didn't even realize that FM wasn't an option. Thank you for the feedback!

Oh, ...didn't even realize that FM wasn't an option. Thank you for the feedback!

They mentioned on II day that FM is in the process of getting accredited and will be the next specialty they add but it won’t be a selectable option this cycle.

They mentioned on II day that FM is in the process of getting accredited and will be the next specialty they add but it won’t be a selectable option this cycle.
So is what you choose as a residency a commitment? Could you switch if accepted?

I am super confused between FM and IM. I thought if you don't specialize after IM, you become a PCP which is the same as FM??? Or FM has its own residency?

Family medicine sees adults and children usually in an outpatient setting. Internal medicine sees adult patients and generally in a hospital.

Both are generalists but the demographics vary between the two.

I am super confused between FM and IM. I thought if you don't specialize after IM, you become a PCP which is the same as FM??? Or FM has its own residency?
FM has its own residency. FM can see kids to adults and they can do OB/GYN as well. IM basically has a larger scope of diagnosis/procedures with adults, FM has a larger scope of ages. And IM can specialize in an organ system (cardiology as an example).

Think of it like IM looks at organs and diseases (of adults) and FM looks at a population.

Last edited by a moderator:
Family medicine sees adults and children usually in an outpatient setting. Internal medicine sees adult patients and generally in a hospital.

I should also add that IM docs have the option to specialize through fellowships like gastro, cardiology, infectious diseases, crit care, etc

Many of the older IMs have private practices. IMs becoming hospitalists is a recent trend among the younger generation - changing face of the medicine where younger people are giving up owning private practice and all the other PCP responsibilities/problems that go hand in hand.

OOS Complete since 7/16 and radio silence. Anyone in the same boat? I hope no news is good news!

does anyone have any new details about things discussed earlier in the cycle:
1) can you apply to fellowships
2) difficulties applying out
3) student satisfaction

Does anyone know if the MMI is closed or open file?

does anyone have any new details about things discussed earlier in the cycle:
1) can you apply to fellowships
2) difficulties applying out
3) student satisfaction

1.) The only commitment is completing a residency at Winthrop; fellowships come afterwards so there is nothing preventing you from doing that

2.) They discussed that they can’t force you to stay at the residency there but on the flip side there they haven’t had any info/anecdotes/success stories about applicants who decided to apply for residency elsewhere. As of now there is only an M1 class so that’s to be determined.

3.) Students seemed very happy and the residents said they had great work-life balance. Had a couple of new parents saying they had time for family commitments and work

1.) The only commitment is completing a residency at Winthrop; fellowships come afterwards so there is nothing preventing you from doing that

2.) They discussed that they can’t force you to stay at the residency there but on the flip side there they haven’t had any info/anecdotes/success stories about applicants who decided to apply for residency elsewhere. As of now there is only an M1 class so that’s to be determined.

3.) Students seemed very happy and the residents said they had great work-life balance. Had a couple of new parents saying they had time for family commitments and work

But it's a one year old program, so of course no anecdotes yet.