2019-2020 Saint Louis

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is anyone else having a hard time logging in to MySLU to pay the deposit?
It took me a while because i couldnt figure out the password to use. The email you get should give a link to instructions for first time MySLU users and it'll tell you how to log in for the first time.

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile
 
I’m interviewing here this week, Can anyone provide information on what time in the morning I should get to the location?
 
I’m interviewing here this week, Can anyone provide information on what time in the morning I should get to the location?

So the interviews are stagered throughout the morning before the general information sessions/tours start at 10:30/10:45. Get there 15 minutes (at least) before your interview time if you have a morning interview.
 
It took me a while because i couldnt figure out the password to use. The email you get should give a link to instructions for first time MySLU users and it'll tell you how to log in for the first time.

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile
Yeah, I've looked at the instructions but for some reason the password it says to use doesn't work for me...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I've looked at the instructions but for some reason the password it says to use doesn't work for me...


Did you put "ID" followed by the last 6 digits of your banner id?

for example if my banner ID were 12345678 my password would actually be ID345678
 
For those accepted, all we had to do was complete the admission offer form and pay the $100 deposit right? Or are we supposed to reply to the email saying we accept the offer too?

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile
 
Hey all, I’m interviewing in two weeks and I’m figuring out my plane tickets. If I have a 1:00 interview, can I make a 4:05 PM flight?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the latest an afternoon interview can go till? I just got an interview yesterday and haven't been assigned an interviewer yet but would like to book my travel arrangements ASAP. I was wondering if a 4:50 pm flight was feasible if by chance I do get an afternoon interview slot
 
What is the latest an afternoon interview can go till? I just got an interview yesterday and haven't been assigned an interviewer yet but would like to book my travel arrangements ASAP. I was wondering if a 4:50 pm flight was feasible if by chance I do get an afternoon interview slot
Latest afternoon interview my day was 3pm. 4:50 isn't feasible.
 
You can call and request an interview time! I called and asked if I could have an AM interview and they were very nice about it!

Awesome, thanks! I called them this morning to see if Nov 4th was available since that date works better for me and she said it was fully booked when she checked it yesterday and I asked if I could try calling again closer to the date to see if there were any cancellations and she was like "We'd prefer if you didn't call" so I am a little hesitant to call them again 🙁
 
Awesome, thanks! I called them this morning to see if Nov 4th was available since that date works better for me and she said it was fully booked when she checked it yesterday and I asked if I could try calling again closer to the date to see if there were any cancellations and she was like "We'd prefer if you didn't call" so I am a little hesitant to call them again 🙁

Haha that’s actually the day I’m going, sorry I can’t offer you my spot! I just called and asked if it was possible to select an interview time preference and she was superrrr nice. Told me when I could expect my assignment too. I’d say go for it as long as you don’t request a new date again
 
I had my interview the other day and felt like I screwed up my chance. My mind blanked and I gave super generic and dumb answers to some basic questions (like why did you join x, y, and z) and literally responded with 'I really like to help people and work with others, blah blah blah." and i've been kicking myself in the foot since on the plane ride back. my interviewer gave so many blank stares, smirked at one point, asked if my parents 'forced me to play music' even though I indicated a genuine passion for it, and was not satisfied with some of my answers and it was 8 in the morning so he looked exhausted as well. He argued with my answer on why SLU and I tried defending myself politely until he moved on (I'm OOS)....

I also wrote about a personal disease I've been dealing with my whole life in my PS, and I understand that it was fair game to be discussed but he asked so many questions like when were you diagnosed, what were the types of surgery/recovery/post-op, are you gonna handle med school, are you gonna make it?!? (and variations)..some were valid questions but he had a blank stare with each response I gave and then I felt uncomfortable because we're talking about very personal health stuff so a little positive confirmation would've helped..i'm frustrated cuz on paper I'm a good fit for the school and i really loved it but the blank stares and whatnots made me feel like I screwed up my chances.

Its currently thunder-storming and I'm flying back.
That's all.
Just venting.
And watching the rain.
 
I had my interview the other day and felt like I screwed up my chance. My mind blanked and I gave super generic and dumb answers to some basic questions (like why did you join x, y, and z) and literally responded with 'I really like to help people and work with others, blah blah blah." and i've been kicking myself in the foot since on the plane ride back. my interviewer gave so many blank stares, smirked at one point, asked if my parents 'forced me to play music' even though I indicated a genuine passion for it, and was not satisfied with some of my answers and it was 8 in the morning so he looked exhausted as well. He argued with my answer on why SLU and I tried defending myself politely until he moved on (I'm OOS)....

I also wrote about a personal disease I've been dealing with my whole life in my PS, and I understand that it was fair game to be discussed but he asked so many questions like when were you diagnosed, what were the types of surgery/recovery/post-op, are you gonna handle med school, are you gonna make it?!? (and variations)..some were valid questions but he had a blank stare with each response I gave and then I felt uncomfortable because we're talking about very personal health stuff so a little positive confirmation would've helped..i'm frustrated cuz on paper I'm a good fit for the school and i really loved it but the blank stares and whatnots made me feel like I screwed up my chances.

Its currently thunder-storming and I'm flying back.
That's all.
Just venting.
And watching the rain.
I am sorry you're feeling so down about your interview. It never feels good to have your mind suddenly clear after it's too late, so it's okay to let yourself feel bummed and watch the rain...and maybe plan some quality time later to veg out or cry or however you do! It is entirely possible that the interviewers are told how to be super stoic throughout the process, and maybe you just got a pro in that department, lol. It is a good opportunity for you to grow, when others poke at your soft spots to see how you respond. Whatever happens, after you've moved on from the bummed out phase, try and look for opportunities for yourself. People will find our soft spots and poke them all throughout life, and you will want to be able to be confident in those moments. Silver lining 🙂 Props to you for sharing and venting!
 
I had my interview the other day and felt like I screwed up my chance. My mind blanked and I gave super generic and dumb answers to some basic questions (like why did you join x, y, and z) and literally responded with 'I really like to help people and work with others, blah blah blah." and i've been kicking myself in the foot since on the plane ride back. my interviewer gave so many blank stares, smirked at one point, asked if my parents 'forced me to play music' even though I indicated a genuine passion for it, and was not satisfied with some of my answers and it was 8 in the morning so he looked exhausted as well. He argued with my answer on why SLU and I tried defending myself politely until he moved on (I'm OOS)....

I also wrote about a personal disease I've been dealing with my whole life in my PS, and I understand that it was fair game to be discussed but he asked so many questions like when were you diagnosed, what were the types of surgery/recovery/post-op, are you gonna handle med school, are you gonna make it?!? (and variations)..some were valid questions but he had a blank stare with each response I gave and then I felt uncomfortable because we're talking about very personal health stuff so a little positive confirmation would've helped..i'm frustrated cuz on paper I'm a good fit for the school and i really loved it but the blank stares and whatnots made me feel like I screwed up my chances.

Its currently thunder-storming and I'm flying back.
That's all.
Just venting.
And watching the rain.
Hey, if it’s any consolation to you, I’ve listened to several people who received an acceptance and were in shock because they were so sure they screwed up their interview. The fact of the matter is that our interviewers are imperfect people and sometimes aren’t able to accurately reflect how they feel about us through their body language, facial expressions, or verbal communication. Maybe your interviewer has a bad case of RBF. ‍♂️
The last thing you want to do amidst the crazy stress of applying to Med school is add even more stress based on how an interview went. Recognize that you tried hard and now the moment is gone so there’s no point in worrying—Hakuna Matata.

One of my interviewers at another school legitimately talked 90% of the interview (the guy wouldn’t let me talk). Later, I found out from the Med students that that professor always talks way too much.

And another one of my interviewers at yet a different school tried to argue with me about my goals. He said that my “aspirations are too lofty”.

I still wonder how in the world my talkative friend is going to be able to report ANYTHING unique about me to the admissions comittee since he didn’t learn anything about me! I stayed up the whole night after the interview thinking about it. But I’ve since let it go. What will be will be.
 
To those who have interviewed here - how did their financial aid seem? Did they give information about average awards or indebtedness post graduation?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly, SLU's financial aid didn't seem great... Their scholarships also don't stack either.
I know a couple people from my undergrad who received some good scholarships from SLU but I honestly don't know if they were need or merit based. Maybe not the best but I think SLU is better with it than a lot of other schools
 
I believe the most a person could expect to receive for financial aid is about 10k a year, iirc. Average is 5k or 10k a year if I'm not mistaken.