2019-2020 Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Temple University

Members don't see this ad.

deleted! have a good one!

Last edited:
"Applicants should demonstrate preparation for the rigors of medical school and competency in the sciences achieved through a broad range of science coursework and the MCAT exam."

This is the governing message. You are expected to have taken science classes that are taught at college level is the gist of the rest of the message. The reason they are saying recommended vs required - they are not expecting everyone of the classes to be fulfilled but they also dont want to differentiate between required vs recommended since they have expanded from the original one year of physics and biology and 2 years of chemistry now to biochemistry, Psychology, Sociology etc and it is a lot more classes to have been covered from 2-3 years ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From last year's prompt: "Tell us why you selected your first choice ranked clinical/regional campus."

I saw people last year saying this is talking about why you chose Philadelphia over Bethlehem...but I honestly didn't even know they had a campus in Bethlehem and when I went on the school's website it seemed like they only talk about Philly. Can someone explain this more to me lol I'm obviously confused? Thank you!!

Reactions: 1 user
From last year's prompt: "Tell us why you selected your first choice ranked clinical/regional campus."

I saw people last year saying this is talking about why you chose Philadelphia over Bethlehem...but I honestly didn't even know they had a campus in Bethlehem and when I went on the school's website it seemed like they only talk about Philly. Can someone explain this more to me lol I'm obviously confused? Thank you!!

The Bethlehem campus has its own website: Temple/St. Luke’s School of Medicine

Also, if any Temple students could answer some quick questions I have please lmk!

M2 here...feel free to PM me.

Secondary received just now

secondary received, OOS

same prompts as last year

Could any current or incoming students talk about the differences in the Philly and Bethlehem campuses? I know Bethlehem has a smaller class size, but are there any specific programs/events/opportunities that would be available at one site and not the other? Or that would be more difficult to attend if you don't go there?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"What is the nature of your interest in the Lewis Katz School of Medicine?"
"Tell us about your special interest in the campus you selected"

How are these questions different? Is the second one just explaining why you would want to be at the main campus? Seems like this should be an optional question if you select the Bethlehem campus...

"What is the nature of your interest in the Lewis Katz School of Medicine?"
"Tell us about your special interest in the campus you selected"

How are these questions different? Is the second one just explaining why you would want to be at the main campus? Seems like this should be an optional question if you select the Bethlehem campus...

Yeah, I feel like most of my reasons for wanting to attend Temple are specific to the Philadelphia campus anyway

Anyone's spacing between paragraphs get removed after submission? I have on giant block and it looks dumb...

"Submission of SAT or ACT scores is optional. After submitting your application Unofficial scores can be submitted by uploading a screenshot on the My Account page: Supplemental Items."

Does this mean we need to upload a screenshot confirming our score if we decide to include it? The section directly following this is titled "Self-Reported SAT Scores"

"Submission of SAT or ACT scores is optional. After submitting your application Unofficial scores can be submitted by uploading a screenshot on the My Account page: Supplemental Items."

Does this mean we need to upload a screenshot confirming our score if we decide to include it? The section directly following this is titled "Self-Reported SAT Scores"
Yeah, I just didn’t include it. My scores wouldn’t have helped me lol

Could any current or incoming students talk about the differences in the Philly and Bethlehem campuses? I know Bethlehem has a smaller class size, but are there any specific programs/events/opportunities that would be available at one site and not the other? Or that would be more difficult to attend if you don't go there?
I believe both locations share a focus of serving underserved populations but Bethlehem focuses on rural underserved vs Philly is urban underserved. I believe both St. Lukes and Philly students are in Philadelphia their first year then. Not too sure about St Lukes because I was accepted to Philly and that was my top choice since I wanted to be in a city location.

Reactions: 3 users
What do you guys think about putting in the SAT/ACT scores? Mine weren't terrible but not impressive either....but man it was like 5 years ago and my scores don't reflect anything of who I am academically or personally now. I don't want to be like sneaky and not put them in but also don't want to bring any negatives by having sub-par SAT/ACT scores

What do you guys think about putting in the SAT/ACT scores? Mine weren't terrible but not impressive either....but man it was like 5 years ago and my scores don't reflect anything of who I am academically or personally now. I don't want to be like sneaky and not put them in but also don't want to bring any negatives by having sub-par SAT/ACT scores
I really feel like there’s no way SAT/ACT scores are factored into admissions decisions. I know for Jefferson, who also asked for these scores, that SAT/ACT scores are only used for internal research purposes and I imagine that’s also the case at Temple. Don’t see any reason to stress about your scores! Just report them if you can and don’t if you can’t.

I really feel like there’s no way SAT/ACT scores are factored into admissions decisions. I know for Jefferson, who also asked for these scores, that SAT/ACT scores are only used for internal research purposes and I imagine that’s also the case at Temple. Don’t see any reason to stress about your scores! Just report them if you can and don’t if you can’t.

Yeah true. The only reason I'm iffy about reporting for this school is because they say the scores, "can be helpful in our comprehensive review of your application."

A little confused here. For #3, do I need to include a specific campus if I'm not picking St. Luke's? Or am I answering it from the standpoint of just being in the Philly area?

Currently locked out of my account... so off to see admissions on Friday to get it sorted out :/

Does anyone know if you can opt into the MD/MA Urban Bioethics program after you're admitted into the regular MD program?

I believe both locations share a focus of serving underserved populations but Bethlehem focuses on rural underserved vs Philly is urban underserved. I believe both St. Lukes and Philly students are in Philadelphia their first year then. Not too sure about St Lukes because I was accepted to Philly and that was my top choice since I wanted to be in a city location.
Looks like those who choose the Bethlehem campus will be there all four years now. Having never been to Philly or Bethlehem, I'm definitely struggling with this question. I'm leaning toward Bethlehem because it seems like it's a more underserved population, but I've been living in a city for the past 8 years so I worry about how much I'd like living in a more suburban area.

Looks like those who choose the Bethlehem campus will be there all four years now. Having never been to Philly or Bethlehem, I'm definitely struggling with this question. I'm leaning toward Bethlehem because it seems like it's a more underserved population, but I've been living in a city for the past 8 years so I worry about how much I'd like living in a more suburban area.
Actually what I've read is that Philly is the more underserved and Bethlehem is more rural from their website. But I'm also struggling since Bethlehem seems to have a better mentoring program for their med students; but not the specialties I want.

Actually what I've read is that Philly is the more underserved and Bethlehem is more rural from their website. But I'm also struggling since Bethlehem seems to have a better mentoring program for their med students; but not the specialties I want.
What specialties are they lacking?

What specialties are they lacking?
I looked at what they're like best at and they didn't have pediatrics or neurology which is what I want to do. It seems they have a preference for emergency medicine, family/internal/geriatric, podiatric, etc. like lol not PEDs

I submitted and paid for my application but when I go back to my account, I can still edit my application and the complete my application is not checked. Do I have to go through my application and click submit again?

For # 4 - Plans for current year, wondering if it can be just a few sentences or words (I literally have 4 lines).
I'm not doing anything new, I just plan to continue working (racking up cash to store away when I get in!) and volunteering
Do I have to list out my exact activities?
I don't want to add fluff if I don't need to.
Thanks

Am I dumb or is there really no way to check if you're complete after submitting the application?

The Philly location is in a very underserved part of Philadelphia (the avg household income was $17,000 in the last census and a neighboring community had a 61% poverty rate). You will be able to work with underserved at both locations.

Does anyone know if you can opt into the MD/MA Urban Bioethics program after you're admitted into the regular MD program?
Yes you can. I believe you have all of your first year to decide if you want to do it but not 100% sure.

Yes, you can opt into any dual degree program (other than the PhD program I think) after you begin the MD program. I also believe they are starting a new MD/MPH program in the near future in which the MPH is fully online and does not require an extra year before graduating with the MD.

The Philly location is in a very underserved part of Philadelphia (the avg household income was $17,000 in the last census and a neighboring community had a 61% poverty rate). You will be able to work with underserved at both locations.
Thanks for the insight; it sounds like you're pretty familiar with the campuses! Would you say the primary difference would simply be working with urban underserved vs a more rural community then?

How many campuses are there in total? And where can I find this information? I thought there was also a campus in Pittsburgh through Allegheny Health Network.
I wonder what happened to it? I used to live in Pittsburgh and liked the city. I would've been interested in making the Allegheny Health Network my preferred clinical campus and even pre-wrote my secondary talking about how much I enjoyed living there for that prompt.

Does anyone know if any of the clinical affiliates crossover between campuses or if they are completely separate?

Anyone when Temple starts sending out II?

How do I know if my application is under review? Is there an application status section for me to check with Temple?

How do I know if my application is under review? Is there an application status section for me to check with Temple?
I just received an email that I’m complete and under review (submitted 7/3) so I guess the only way to know is to watch your inbox!