2019-2020 Temple

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, can anyone speak on how dangerous the surrounding area of Temple is? Like is all the fuss overhyped and its not actually that terrible or is it like don't walk around at night bad?
After being at Temple for a year, its really not a big deal. Classes are mostly done 12pm so there's plenty of time to study and go home before dark. The only time you would really HAVE to stay there beyond sunset is if your doctoring meets from 3-5 and its the winter time when the sun sets super early. Even then, there are always security around on bikes and theres an escort service, that I've personally never felt compelled to use. There are reports of shootings/robberies that Temple sends mass texts about but, its just like any other major city. I heard of some people not choosing Temple because its in a bad area and it's silly because its like abandoning this patient population before even giving them a chance. The area isn't Beverly Hills but, its really not that bad. People aren't running around randomly shooting down the street. Just mind your business, go to school and go home and you'll be fine!
 
Hey everyone, sorry if this has been posted before, but did anyone notice your essays appear in a giant block without paragraphs in the 'view application'?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question! If I pick the Bethlehem campus, would I still be able to volunteer/participate at all other activities? (like the TEACH student run clinic?) I wrote about volunteering at all these places for my "why temple" question, but I wonder if picking the Bethlehem campus would contradict that (since I would be futher away from the main campus)

EDIT: after reading the description of both campuses on this forum, I decided to just pick Temple main campus. Leaving this question here for anyone else who might be wondering the same thing
 
Last edited:
Question! If I pick the Bethlehem campus, would I still be able to volunteer/participate at all other activities? (like the TEACH student run clinic?) I wrote about volunteering at all these places for my "why temple" question, but I wonder if picking the Bethlehem campus would contradict that (since I would be futher away from the main campus)

EDIT: after reading the description of both campuses on this forum, I decided to just pick Temple main campus. Leaving this question here for anyone else who might be wondering the same thing
I spoke to a Temple med student and asked about the TEACH and CARE clinics and he was like, "wut???" Apparently, TEAC (Temple Emergency Action Corps) is what it's called so it's their "TEAC student-run clinic"

I almost submitted my secondary mentioning the TEACH clinic so just hoping to save anyone from that going forward haha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Received email of completion this afternoon; finally lol (was waiting on my CASPers results I guess).
 
Is anyone struggling to write a lot for the which campus question? Besides stating that you want to work in an urban environment I am not sure how I could elaborate over 1,000 characters.
 
Is anyone struggling to write a lot for the which campus question? Besides stating that you want to work in an urban environment I am not sure how I could elaborate over 1,000 characters.
I think I had around 1,000 characters too, especially cus a lot of my reasons for Why Temple also applies to the campus I was interested in
 
You were verified June 23rd but submitted your primary 2 days ago?

What?

I added them to my list 2 days ago. I received primaries from all of my other AMCAS schools and my stats lie within their 25th-75th percentile range.

Edit: Just received it.
 
Last edited:
After being at Temple for a year, its really not a big deal. Classes are mostly done 12pm so there's plenty of time to study and go home before dark. The only time you would really HAVE to stay there beyond sunset is if your doctoring meets from 3-5 and its the winter time when the sun sets super early. Even then, there are always security around on bikes and theres an escort service, that I've personally never felt compelled to use. There are reports of shootings/robberies that Temple sends mass texts about but, its just like any other major city. I heard of some people not choosing Temple because its in a bad area and it's silly because its like abandoning this patient population before even giving them a chance. The area isn't Beverly Hills but, its really not that bad. People aren't running around randomly shooting down the street. Just mind your business, go to school and go home and you'll be fine!

IDK, stuff like this is not typical: Video Released of Suspect in Professor Attack

If you're inside a campus building, one would hope you'd be safe

Hey guys, can anyone speak on how dangerous the surrounding area of Temple is? Like is all the fuss overhyped and its not actually that terrible or is it like don't walk around at night bad?

North Philly is notoriously not excellent - what "terrible" means will vary by personal definition, but generally speaking you're fine if on campus

See: 'How safe is Temple?'
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Received 7/1/19
Submitted 7/15/19 - just turned around in 2 weeks... sweating
Complete 7/19/19!
 
Verified 7/18/19
Secondary recieved 7/19/19
Secondary submitted 7/19/19
Now time to wait until my committee letter shows up in AMCAS
 
Wondering if I should still send my secondary app in soon even though my casper wont be scored for another few weeks. Coming up on the two week mark for when I received the app. Any advice? FWIW I'm currently a temple undergrad and most of my healthcare experience has been through Temple, and LM ~ 75
 
Wondering if I should still send my secondary app in soon even though my casper wont be scored for another few weeks. Coming up on the two week mark for when I received the app. Any advice? FWIW I'm currently a temple undergrad and most of my healthcare experience has been through Temple, and LM ~ 75
I'd absolutely send it. They don't even specify you need it in in two weeks, but regardless I still they'd still mark you complete upon receiving your CASPer results. As a Temple alum, you should definitely finish your app here.
 
Has any one else been having issues saving the essays portion of the secondary? I keep getting an error message every time I hit save saying “There was an error, please see the system administrator!”
 
Does anyone know if you can opt into the MD/MA Urban Bioethics program after you're admitted into the regular MD program?

I am almost positive. They only ask if you are interested in your 2º app. From what I have been told, most schools advertise those MD/MXYZ programs to their matriculants even during the first week of classes. LizzyM said something about this regarding MD/MPHs and I assume it is similar to MA
 
"What is the nature of your interest in the Lewis Katz School of Medicine?"
"Tell us about your special interest in the campus you selected"

How are these questions different? Is the second one just explaining why you would want to be at the main campus? Seems like this should be an optional question if you select the Bethlehem campus...

are these the secondary questions?
 
Does anyone know if there is a way to check your status? This school doesn't have the same type of portal as most others.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They should send your a complete email when everything is in and it’s in queue to be reviewed. Other than that, just silent waiting ...
I looked on last year's thread and I don't think Temple sends interviews until mid-August anyways, so we just have to wait it out

Yeah, I got that email earlier this week. This wait is killing me haha. The worst part is, the amount of waiting I've already done is just a drop in the bucket. 😆 It's gonna be a long road, friends!