2019-2020 Touro University (Vallejo, California) TUCOM-CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For people who have called to schedule their interviews, did they give you a lot of date options/what are the dates they’re currently scheduling?
They gave me only 1 day at first but after I told them I won't be able to make it cause I'd be out of state they gave me another one later which worked.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those wondering, when I called this morning they had 6-8 dates ranging from now until the end of October. I asked for a date in November and got my interview scheduled for then. There are many dates remaining, so keep ya heads up!

II today! Just called them; they gave me several dates and I scheduled for 10/16.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone tried to email them to request a fee waiver? I sent them 2 emails a few days ago and they still haven’t responded

Has anyone tried to email them to request a fee waiver? I sent them 2 emails a few days ago and they still haven’t responded
I emailed they haven’t responded then I called them and they sent me the “discount code” that waved the fee.

II for 11/26. Complete on 8/15

Congrats! Did you purposefully choose an interview date in November or are the dates already booked up until that point?
There was an option for an interview on 9/24 because someone cancelled but that did not work with my schedule. Other than that cancellation, the only dates available for me were 11/26, 12/2 and 12/3.

Thank you! In what sense though? I have heard it is group interview with 3 interviewers and then some other people said that might be changing?
Here’s all I know :)

Attachments

• B1D5A89A-5D42-4C4C-BEF6-D214CD03D669.jpeg
    B1D5A89A-5D42-4C4C-BEF6-D214CD03D669.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 187
hi! I'm a 1st yr at TUCOM. Not on SDN much, but feel free to ask me anything (that a first yr would be able to answer).

hi! I'm a 1st yr at TUCOM. Not on SDN much, but feel free to ask me anything (that a first yr would be able to answer).
Thanks very much for answering questions! Do you feel like the curriculum and faculty are pretty focused on board scores? How has your overall experience been so far?

Thanks very much for answering questions! Do you feel like the curriculum and faculty are pretty focused on board scores? How has your overall experience been so far?

Hard to tell about the focus on board scores as of now--we're still in basic sciences & anatomy, not on systems until next semester. Other than the general shock that medical school generally is (i.e. the crapload of information), the faculty are generally very supportive. I believe one of the greatest strengths at TUCOM is the approachability of the faculty--I can pop in to speak with any faculty I set an appointment with, whether it's about school or just talking about handling school. I really like that.

Hard to tell about the focus on board scores as of now--we're still in basic sciences & anatomy, not on systems until next semester. Other than the general shock that medical school generally is (i.e. the crapload of information), the faculty are generally very supportive. I believe one of the greatest strengths at TUCOM is the approachability of the faculty--I can pop in to speak with any faculty I set an appointment with, whether it's about school or just talking about handling school. I really like that.
Where do most of the students live??

4th year here—most students live on mare island or nearby in Vallejo. A few would commute from Oakland, Berkeley, and rarely SF. Benicia is also nearby and a great place to live

DM me if you have any questions, I don’t check this thread often

Reactions: 1 users
For those who received an acceptance, how many days after your II did you receive the good news?

4th year here—most students live on mare island or nearby in Vallejo. A few would commute from Oakland, Berkeley, and rarely SF. Benicia is also nearby and a great place to live

DM me if you have any questions, I don’t check this thread often
Hey! What's the community like at TUCOM? Do most students have an active social life (for being medical students)? Also, do you feel that the curriculum is well established?

For those who received an acceptance, how many days after your II did you receive the good news?
At the interview they said exactly 2 weeks after your interview date

Where do most of the students live??

Would second my fellow TUCOM'er - most on the island, some nearby in Vallejo/Benicia, with some commuters from east bay. I live off the island--I would definitely get island fever if I lived 2 minutes from school. My 15 minute drive is wonderful to get away and decompress.

Hey! What's the community like at TUCOM? Do most students have an active social life (for being medical students)? Also, do you feel that the curriculum is well established?

- Community is great--people are generally supportive of one another and band together. I feel like we have a pretty diverse class in terms of personalities, but we're all in the same boat here and that's what brings us together.
- I've quickly discovered that if I don't schedule my social life, I'm worse off and burn out. In the beginning I tried to maximize all of my time to just study study study... but it just didn't work. I take friday nights and saturday nights off from studying, and make sure to keep doing things I love. I also sleep 6.5-7 hours/night and 8 hours on weekends. Remember that TUCOM is now P/NP, and while that doesn't give an excuse to slack off, the pressure of getting a "high GPA" is significantly lower.
- Again, I'm only in my 1st year but I feel like it's pretty solid. The first semester is like undergrad 2.0/basic sciences. maybe my 4th year counterpart can speak for the integrated systems curriculum.

DM me if you have questions- I also don't check here often

Would second my fellow TUCOM'er - most on the island, some nearby in Vallejo/Benicia, with some commuters from east bay. I live off the island--I would definitely get island fever if I lived 2 minutes from school. My 15 minute drive is wonderful to get away and decompress.

- Community is great--people are generally supportive of one another and band together. I feel like we have a pretty diverse class in terms of personalities, but we're all in the same boat here and that's what brings us together.
- I've quickly discovered that if I don't schedule my social life, I'm worse off and burn out. In the beginning I tried to maximize all of my time to just study study study... but it just didn't work. I take friday nights and saturday nights off from studying, and make sure to keep doing things I love. I also sleep 6.5-7 hours/night and 8 hours on weekends. Remember that TUCOM is now P/NP, and while that doesn't give an excuse to slack off, the pressure of getting a "high GPA" is significantly lower.
- Again, I'm only in my 1st year but I feel like it's pretty solid. The first semester is like undergrad 2.0/basic sciences. maybe my 4th year counterpart can speak for the integrated systems curriculum.

DM me if you have questions- I also don't check here often
Thank you! This was super helpful :)

Just withdrew my application. Hopefully my interview for 11/26 goes to one of you!

Reactions: 3 users

The students IMO are the best part about the school—we help each other and look out for one another. Because of the small class size certain cliques can form as they would at any school; but I can honestly say that even with that I would never feel uncomfortable approaching anyone in my class. I’ve been meeting some new 3rd years out on rotations and it’s like we were already friends.

My social life was super active, particularly after first year once you figure out how to study. You’ll probably find yourself a core group of friends like I did. We were always finding new places to eat or hangout, study, binge Netflix instead of studying, exercise. It’s what you make of it. California is a gorgeous place to study with tons to do if you want it. I can’t speak for all students—that was my personal experience.

As for curriculum; they were changing a tooooon or stuff around for my class so not sure what they eventually settled on. My understanding is that the systems-based approach still stands. So...well-established? Idk tough to say definitively because they are always taking student input and changing stuff. That being said, they have been doing system-based for a loooong time. Systems-based worked great I felt—you learn all the relevant micro, pharm, path e.t.c. relevant to that system and often get some spaced repetition learning when concepts/drugs/bugs are relevant to multiple systems. Most Med schools do it this way. I didn’t have P/NP during pre-clinical years but damn that sounds awesome too.

For any current students, I have an interview next week so just wondering if the fires or the power shut downs are going to affect the school/ surrounding area?

For those who have already interviewed, was the panel interview also with several applicants? Or is it just a normal interview?

Did anyone else just get a text that tomorrow’s interviews are canceled? Can any current students confirm if the power is off and the campus is closed tomorrow? I got this text but I want to make sure before I cancel travel plans.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Did anyone else just get a text that tomorrow’s interviews are canceled? Can any current students confirm if the power is off and the campus is closed tomorrow? I got this text but I want to make sure before I cancel travel plans.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Yes. Text and email. High winds, PG&E cutting power and Huge fire at the toll bridge entrance in Vallejo too.

• Wow
For any current students, I have an interview next week so just wondering if the fires or the power shut downs are going to affect the school/ surrounding area?

I knew there was a reason to worry! I also got the text and email of interview cancellation but wish I got it before I came here:/ Hope everyone is safe!

accepted! interview 10/16

Reactions: 1 users