2019-2020 University of Southern California (Keck)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I just submitted my secondary last night and I just got a call from the dean of admissions. Anyone heard of this happening before? I don't know if this is good or bad haha.
Bruh you got a high gpa a 519 MCAT and biggest component of all ur URM, what do you expect

Members don't see this ad.

Bruh you got a high gpa a 519 MCAT and biggest component of all ur URM, what do you expect
The “biggest component of all” is not that they are URM. It is that they clearly have a strong application. Don’t be salty. You sound ignorant.

Reactions: 25 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Happened to me. Had a pleasant brief conversation with her and got an email about my II later that day
Oh wow! That makes me feel alot better haha. I was like well if it was bad then Im sure she wouldnt waste her time to tell me my application sucks, but then again I dont find my application very stand out either, so I didnt know what to make of it. Congradulations to you!

Reactions: 2 users
I wish I had a 519 haha. But I do have a high gpa that I am proud of, esspecially with how much I had to work while in undergrad. As for the URM, I'll take it! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Completed last night, just received a voicemail from the dean of admissions!

Reactions: 3 users
3.6/510. I had a rocky start and averaged a 3.9 during my final 3 years of UG
Congrats! I wonder how they decide between e-mailing and calling for IIs.

Maybe calls are for people they're more on the fence about, and there's a 50/50 a call will result in an interview?

Or maybe the dean was supposed to call people but only recently came back from vacation, who knows

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe calls are for people they're more on the fence about, and there's a 50/50 a call will result in an interview?

Or maybe the dean was supposed to call people but only recently came back from vacation, who knows
I would think that calls are for applicants that are more desirable or maybe the dean had some free time. I typically don't answer calls I don't recognize, I suppose for this cycle that will change!

Apologies if this has been asked before. But does it automatically say "application complete and is under review" once your secondaries are complete or does that mean they're actually in the middle of reviewing it?

Apologies if this has been asked before. But does it automatically say "application complete and is under review" once your secondaries are complete or does that mean they're actually in the middle of reviewing it?
Mine has said that since I submitted on July 3rd. So I think it just means your application is complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I be worried if I havent gotten an interview request? I was complete 7/8/19. Decent stats (check my signature) and just a bit curious as to what this means. I only have gotten 1 interview at a TX school (SW) so far and applied to about 35 schools. Sorry, im just kinda sketched out now!!!

Should I be worried if I havent gotten an interview request? I was complete 7/8/19. Decent stats (check my signature) and just a bit curious as to what this means. I only have gotten 1 interview at a TX school (SW) so far and applied to about 35 schools. Sorry, im just kinda sketched out now!!!

It's still crazy early. If you don't get any II in August, I'd start to be a bit concerned, but that's a long time.

I wanna clarify this, she did not call me to offer an II, she wanted to talk about a specific component of my application. If anyone wants details regarding this feel free to PM me. If you have an II that literally just means you have an II and are qualified in the school's eyes, regardless of phone call or not! Don't overthink it y'all!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi guys, for those of you who received a phone call, did you receive an email as well? Or was the call marked in communication status on your secondary? Won't have access to my phone for a while, been relying on emails

Phone call is likely auto admit. Some NCAA coaches don’t even call recruits so if a med school calls it means you’re a top priority

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know how receptive USC is to ITA emails? I’m flying from East Coast to Pasadena for an interview in August, would love to make it two. Flying from coast to coast ain’t cheap lol

Anyone know how receptive USC is to ITA emails? I’m flying from East Coast to Pasadena for an interview in August, would love to make it two. Flying from coast to coast ain’t cheap lol
I’d say it’s worth a try.

Hell, even just flying from a small airport out west to Chicago cost me $620....

• Wow
Are you flying out of a major airport on a weekday....? I am flying out of a small airport on a sunday...
My nearby airport isn’t too big. But there is a direct flight to Houston and yeah it’s a Thursday.

My nearby airport isn’t too big. But there is a direct flight to Houston and yeah it’s a Thursday.
Therin lies the rub. Literally every flight from my airport that is not to a hub requires a connection. And it is $150+ extra if you don’t want an overnight layover...

Therin lies the rub. Literally every flight from my airport that is not to a hub requires a connection. And it is $150+ extra if you don’t want an overnight layover...
Yeah smaller airports tend to be way more expensive unfortunately

Damn this thread is making me feel pretty discouraging especially since I wanted to stay in LA LOLL. I have a 3.84/3.81 514. Good luck to those of you who have received an II! (I'm aware that it's still pretty early)

• Love
I actually got it Thursday but did not get a chance to check my spam mail or my portals until today!
I've never been disappointed about finding no spam in my email before med school applications. But here we are.

Reactions: 7 users
I've never been disappointed about finding no spam in my email before med school applications. But here we are.
Only thing I have had in my Spam this cycle has been Duke...and they are my #1....Gah.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a benefit in checking individual portals for II's? Is there a lag between the time they offer the II and the time you receive the email?

Is there a benefit in checking individual portals for II's? Is there a lag between the time they offer the II and the time you receive the email?
Rarely but occasionally. Someone for UMich put out that they didn’t get an email on mich Monday but noticed the II on Tuesday.

School specific. For my IIs, I checked immediately after I got the e-mails and the portals were updated to reflect this. Can't speak for Keck, though.

Hi, similar to others in this thread I received my secondary on July 2nd and submitted on the 8th. But I realized I submitted the power to change question instead of health equity. Was anyone able to contact admissions about this if they submitted after July 3rd.

Hi, similar to others in this thread I received my secondary on July 2nd and submitted on the 8th. But I realized I submitted the power to change question instead of health equity. Was anyone able to contact admissions about this if they submitted after July 3rd.
I submitted 7/2. The email I got back said, "Because you submitted between July 1-3, whichever prompt you answered will be entirely acceptable." That makes it sound like it was time-sensitive :(

Wow I guess I'm going to get rejected then. This sucks cause its like I worked on the essay before the 3rd and let it sit there and didn't notice the prompt changed. I guess the fact that I didn't triple check makes me a horrible doctor. goodbye to my dream school.

I submitted 7/2. The email I got back said, "Because you submitted between July 1-3, whichever prompt you answered will be entirely acceptable." That makes it sound like it was time-sensitive :(

What do you mean?

"OUR BAD, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHICH YOU WROTE, it's OUR FAULT", that means exactly what it says.
did you get an email saying this? because mine said what I wrote.

Either way don't worry about it, nobody is getting auto-rejected for writing the wrong essay if you have an otherwise great app

did you get an email saying this? because mine said what I wrote.

Either way don't worry about it, nobody is getting auto-rejected for writing the wrong essay if you have an otherwise great app
I did get that email and I submitted on the 3rd. I also deleted my slightly too confident post/reply because I did realize the email said "for those who applied in this range" so maybe people afterward are going to get docked. Even though, I still think that it isn't the end of your application.

Nevermind I called USC and they said everything is totally cool even if you submitted that question after the 3rd

• Love
Reactions: 4 users