2019-2020 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted. Interviewed 2/28.

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisted as well. Really weird since I thought I did well.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like there are more waitlisted people than accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
waitlisted. I am honestly thinking they filled up their acceptance spots so they waitlisted everyone cause there is a lot of waitlisted people

Reactions: 1 user
So I had an interview on 3/13 but I was just called and emailed today that they have to cancel it because of coronavirus concerns. So I canceled my flight and all (OOS). They're looking into trying to do interviews online somehow, which is hard they said due to mmi format. I'm sure they're just busy as heck trying to figure out how to get us coming interviewees tended to first.

waitlisted. I am honestly thinking they filled up their acceptance spots so they waitlisted everyone cause there is a lot of waitlisted people
I’m not sure bc I asked one of the admissions staff members if the class was full on my 3/4 interview date and she said that it wasn’t

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone received a post-II rejection? seems to me they are throwing everyone on their wait list instead. i'm thinking because they are a new school who is less promising (per STEP 1/COMLEX pass rate rumors) than some of the other new schools like ARCOM, they are building a long wait list because they are anticipating many will give up their seats.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with that statement. i don’t know why they have such a lack of transparency in their COMLEX scores. When we take it it will be P/F so the school should at least release a pass rate.

Comlex will still be graded it’s Step 1 that will be pass or fail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those currently on the waitlist, have you considered submitting a letter of intent? Is there data out there that a LOI actually improves the chances of acceptance?

Accepted about a week ago. Deposit is due this Tuesday but I am still unsure of a decision. I have an acceptance at a more established school. Please help me decide... UIW or VCOM Auburn?

need help ASAP.

Accepted about a week ago. Deposit is due this Tuesday but I am still unsure of a decision. I have an acceptance at a more established school. Please help me decide... UIW or VCOM Auburn?

need help ASAP.
Congrats on your acceptance! I really enjoyed the school and the surrounding area when I went for my interview. The students seemed to really enjoy the school and they seemed genuinely happy to be there. They’re located near a major level 1 trauma center and near the military burn center. All great opportunities. However, there were some major drawbacks for me: no cadaver dissection, no interprofessional learning (patient simulations are only with other med students and not with a team of nursing students, PA’s, etc), and the lack of transparency when it comes to board scores. I know they are waiting on the national average but I felt as though they were holding back. Everyone at the school was very kind and it felt like a supportive environment. However, those drawbacks are pretty significant imo and will definitely play into my decision if I am accepted. I hope that helped!

Reactions: 5 users

need help ASAP.
I personally would choose VCOM, way more established and transparent with board scores. UIWSOM’s teaching style I feel like wasn’t the most effective way of teaching in order to get good scores, which is why they are holding back. They keep postponing the date which makes me feel like they don’t want the incoming class to see and drop their acceptance...

Reactions: 4 users
Is there any chance of getting off of the pre-interview waitlist?

need help ASAP.

I too, held off for a bit because I got offers elsewhere, though I definitely was fairly sure even then that I'd end up committing to UIW, just because of how much of a positive impression I had when visiting the school versus the others.

Ultimately, I felt UIW had some key advantages, despite being a newer school. Among them, I think its strongest suit is the proximity to downtown San Antonio, which is the second largest city in Texas (larger than Dallas, which blew my mind!) . So all the advantages of big city life can be applicable here. UIW has connections with hospitals throughout San Antonio, so most of their students rotate in San Antonio. I found this to be especially significant amongst DO schools, particularly newer ones, where a good chunk of the class find themselves rotating far away due to the lack of rotations closeby the school.

Asides from that, the pass fail curriculum was a big plus. The cost of living is also on the low end for living basically in a large city. Texas also has an abundance of residency spots per medical student (I believe the ratio was like 1.1 to 1). So as a UIW student, you are well positioned for Texan residencies. I also liked the fact that, yes there was a focus on primary care, but it isn't the ONLY focus. The school is focused on training you to be the best physician, regardless of what field you go into.

I see that some people are concerned about the lack of scores released. This is just me - but I generally believe when it comes to test scores, that a self-motivated student will do well anywhere. Given this, I am not all that concerned about a lack of complex results - it's a new school, and I'm sure they will eventually be released. Our incoming class will be 3 years removed from the first class - by the time we get to the point they are at, I'm sure any rough spots, if any, will be taken care of. The staff are truly motivated, and very warm and caring - ultimately, I do feel that if I give it my honest effort and take advantage of all there is to offer, I can succeed here.

These are the thoughts that went in my head - and as such, I put down my deposit to attend this school yesterday, and am not looking back :)

Reactions: 9 users
I too, held off for a bit because I got offers elsewhere, though I definitely was fairly sure even then that I'd end up committing to UIW, just because of how much of a positive impression I had when visiting the school versus the others.

Ultimately, I felt UIW had some key advantages, despite being a newer school. Among them, I think its strongest suit is the proximity to downtown San Antonio, which is the second largest city in Texas (larger than Dallas, which blew my mind!) . So all the advantages of big city life can be applicable here. UIW has connections with hospitals throughout San Antonio, so most of their students rotate in San Antonio. I found this to be especially significant amongst DO schools, particularly newer ones, where a good chunk of the class find themselves rotating far away due to the lack of rotations closeby the school.

Asides from that, the pass fail curriculum was a big plus. The cost of living is also on the low end for living basically in a large city. Texas also has an abundance of residency spots per medical student (I believe the ratio was like 1.1 to 1). So as a UIW student, you are well positioned for Texan residencies. I also liked the fact that, yes there was a focus on primary care, but it isn't the ONLY focus. The school is focused on training you to be the best physician, regardless of what field you go into.

I see that some people are concerned about the lack of scores released. This is just me - but I generally believe when it comes to test scores, that a self-motivated student will do well anywhere. Given this, I am not all that concerned about a lack of complex results - it's a new school, and I'm sure they will eventually be released. Our incoming class will be 3 years removed from the first class - by the time we get to the point they are at, I'm sure any rough spots, if any, will be taken care of. The staff are truly motivated, and very warm and caring - ultimately, I do feel that if I give it my honest effort and take advantage of all there is to offer, I can succeed here.

These are the thoughts that went in my head - and as such, I put down my deposit to attend this school yesterday, and am not looking back :)
Good luck in your future endeavors. You got this!

Can any current UIWSOM students give some insight into local housing? At the interview, it was mentioned that many students live at the Kennedy—is that the case? Do people mostly live by themselves or with roommates? Is It worth the rent to live that close to campus or is it better to live 5-7 minutes away but save on rent?

Can any current UIWSOM students give some insight into local housing? At the interview, it was mentioned that many students live at the Kennedy—is that the case? Do people mostly live by themselves or with roommates? Is It worth the rent to live that close to campus or is it better to live 5-7 minutes away but save on rent?

Hi, yes I would say a good chunk of us live at the Kennedy, but there are still a lot of other housing options nearby that students choose. I would say about half of us have roommates and the other half live by themselves. As far as the rent vs getting a place 5-7 minutes away, it depends on what you're looking for, what your budget is and what kind of deal you get with the apartment management. I personally live at the Kennedy and really appreciate the convenience of being able to walk to campus. There have been times were I accidentally woke up 15 minutes before class and still made it on time. The Aviators, the Anderson, The Landings, City Base Vista and Legacy Brooks are all nearby and good options to check out if you don't like the Kennedy.

has anyone received a post-II rejection? seems to me they are throwing everyone on their wait list instead. i'm thinking because they are a new school who is less promising (per STEP 1/COMLEX pass rate rumors) than some of the other new schools like ARCOM, they are building a long wait list because they are anticipating many will give up their seats.

Current first year here. Generally, everyone who didn't get flagged by an interviewer but didn't do amazing will go on the wait lists this year. Post-II rejection means someone REALLY didn't like you o_O

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for sharing the info. Can you tell us where you found it at? Or if you heard it from a current student.
Can confirm it is true as announced by our Dean on Wednesday.

Current first year here. Generally, everyone who didn't get flagged by an interviewer but didn't do amazing will go on the wait lists this year. Post-II rejection means someone REALLY didn't like you o_O

Do you know how they go about picking off the waitlist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know how they go about picking off the waitlist?

Not much except that they'll take the next one off the top of the list when someone rejects an offer. I do not know if my school actively re-ranks the wait list or just puts students at the back of the line after every interview review. A few of my classmates sent in LOI and got in, but it is unsure if that was the deciding factor or if their position on the wait list was going to let them in anyway.

When applicants are waitlisted does this imply that the class spots are completely filled or is the spot reserved for a more competitive applicant?

How does this score compare to other schools and is a low 80s average expected for an inaugural class?

Adjustments.JPG
Adjustments.JPG
Adjustments.JPG
Adjustments.JPG
Adjustments.JPG
Adjustments.JPG

From relatively new schools with their inaugural class:

UIWSOM (2017): 83.2%
BCOM (2016): 85.6%
ARCOM (2017): 86.3%
ACOM (2013): 88.4%
LUCOM (2014): 88.9%
CUSOM (2013): 92.72%
MUCOM (2014): 93.62%

So yeah, it’s on the lower end of the 80s but not unfathomably so.

Reactions: 6 users
When applicants are waitlisted does this imply that the class spots are completely filled or is the spot reserved for a more competitive applicant?

From what I've seen, there are wait lists given after every interview in order to reserve spots for competitive future applicants. Though...At this late point in the cycle, spots MIGHT all be filled. A student interviewer told me that admin were deciding if they should cancel a month's worth of interviews? I was surprised since 2024's FB group is still only in the 90's in membership. It was around 120-130 this time last year.

From what I've seen, there are wait lists given after every interview in order to reserve spots for competitive future applicants. Though...At this late point in the cycle, spots MIGHT all be filled. A student interviewer told me that admin were deciding if they should cancel a month's worth of interviews? I was surprised since 2024's FB group is still only in the 90's in membership. It was around 120-130 this time last year.
Do they have any virtual interviews coming up?

Primary Completed: 7/30/19

Secondary Offered: 8/27/19 (or earlier... could not find the exact date)

Secondary/Application Completed: 9/18/19 (late due to personal emergency, then technical issues)

Rejection: 3/20/20

P.S. I attended their MBS program
Goodluck all!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the info. Can you tell us where you found it at? Or if you heard it from a current student.
Current student, was shared to us in a town hall meeting. Dean said the "official" scores will be posted in June.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m sure people have asked this already but do you guys know if there is a lot of movement off of the waitlist??

I’m sure people have asked this already but do you guys know if there is a lot of movement off of the waitlist??
There usually is, but not until the current Texas applicants who are holding multiple acceptances start letting go of some of them. Late April, May is when the ball starts rolling.

Edited to add:
Most Texas (TMDSAS) applicants got their spots "narrowed down" to one by the TMDSAS Match in February.
There are some who, by now, might have:
a) a TMDSAS and one or more AMCAS offers
b) one or more DO offers
c) have a DO offer but might be on some MD Wait Lists
All these eventually have to make up their minds and WL action can start.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I hope you are staying safe and healthy amidst the ongoing pandemic!

I just wanted to ask if any current students or even prospective students have any insight/ recommendations on materials you should buy before starting medical school? I will be matriculating this July to UIWSOM. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Hi everyone, I hope you are staying safe and healthy amidst the ongoing pandemic!

I just wanted to ask if any current students or even prospective students have any insight/ recommendations on materials you should buy before starting medical school? I will be matriculating this July to UIWSOM. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I will starting with the UIWSOM class of 2024. The only purchase that I have made so far for school is getting an IPad and an apple pen since I have heard that digitizing your notes will come in handy later during our rotations. I am currently debating whether I want to use One Note vs Notability since I have a windows computer.

Besides that I have some folders, binders, pens and just apartment/living space purchases. I am honestly very excited to start school.