2019-2020 Vanderbilt

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Man. If they r done with calls, guess add this to my now like 8 post I Rs. What do I do so wrong man
Post II acceptance rates are at like 50+% according to a spreadsheet here on SDN that people are following. We also haven't gotten any emails yet about R's or WL's. I'm thinking more A's have to go out, or they either have a lot of waitlist movement. if about 650 people interview, that's at least 300+ acceptances (perhaps accounting for people off waitlist).
 
Post II acceptance rates are at like 50+% according to a spreadsheet here on SDN that people are following. We also haven't gotten any emails yet about R's or WL's. I'm thinking more A's have to go out, or they either have a lot of waitlist movement. if about 650 people interview, that's at least 300+ acceptances (perhaps accounting for people off waitlist).

So...weekend calls? Monday calls? No more calls?
 
Post II acceptance rates are at like 50+% according to a spreadsheet here on SDN that people are following. We also haven't gotten any emails yet about R's or WL's. I'm thinking more A's have to go out, or they either have a lot of waitlist movement. if about 650 people interview, that's at least 300+ acceptances (perhaps accounting for people off waitlist).
I don't think they did more than one day of calls last year or in December, I think that would be pretty unusual tbh
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I missed Harvard, vandy, and NW this week post interview. No other acceptances. Fact of it all is if you really want to be a doctor, you’ll go again next year. And the year after that. The difference is marginal for applicants. If you aren’t living every day like someone is going to beat you, you aren’t working hard enough. I’m disappointed, and I’m sure a bunch of you are as well. There’s those who quit, and those who rise to the challenge. Be the latter.
 
Post II acceptance rates are at like 50+% according to a spreadsheet here on SDN that people are following. We also haven't gotten any emails yet about R's or WL's. I'm thinking more A's have to go out, or they either have a lot of waitlist movement. if about 650 people interview, that's at least 300+ acceptances (perhaps accounting for people off waitlist).

Can you link this spreadsheet?

I don't know about 300+ spots, but anecdotally, every school I interviewed at seemed to make just about twice as many offers as there are spots available in the class. If Vanderbilt interviewed 551 this year (that's the number I thought I saw on the website) and has an MD class of about 78 (excluding MSTP and the other entry routes), that's about 156 offers as a very rough estimate. Estimating 156 offers +/- 30 to compensate for error, that's 126/551 to 186/551 or 23% to 34% chance of an A Post-Interview. Disclaimer again, this not a rigorous calculation at all.

Feel free to correct or add nuance to this if my reasoning is missing something.
 

In there is a spread sheet for acceptance rates by school.

Congrats to those accepted. For those not, don't give up hope yet. I was told during my interview day that Vandy pulls 10-20% off the waitlist.
 
WL...wondering about sending a letter
Sent one about a month ago. Didn't help I guess, but probably will help post WL I guess? Wondering if I can call after their break to see if there's any way to see where I am on the WL
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven't heard from the MSTP, and I know 2 people who also haven't heard anything. Hoping that means that their decisions haven't been announced yet...

Same here. I guess maybe MSTP will be today? They definitely said February and today is that last day for that haha
 
I believe MSTP decisions were supposed to come out at the same time as regular MD decisions, but I guess we will have to wait and see
 
Not sure if I'm remembering incorrectly, but I interviewed in Jan and remembered they said decisions would be released in March...

I also interviewed in January and definitely remember them saying March. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Last year MD & MSTP decisions were announced different days I think.
 
Just so everyone knows, MSTP offers went out Friday and a formal WL email is soon coming to everyone who didn't get a call. I work at Vanderbilt and was able to go ask admissions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone else on the waitlist get that email? It seems like they expect a letter of intent if they are to actually consider you for an acceptance.

Is this the case at most schools; you only have an actual shot if you send an LoI?
 
Did anyone else on the waitlist get that email? It seems like they expect a letter of intent if they are to actually consider you for an acceptance.

Is this the case at most schools; you only have an actual shot if you send an LoI?
I got it as well. I don't think an LOI is necessary, but I think it helps greatly. I will be sending a second one come April 30th!
 
I was told my the meeting students that a car is not necessary. The medical center is on campus, and the outpatient clinic has a shuttle available for transportation. Students are also always giving each other rides.
For the continuity clinic you may indicate that you don’t have a car and they will accommodate and place you in a clinic on campus
 
A letter of intent can help you a lot. Be careful not to send multiple out though or it may backfire on you
I asked them specifically if I can send them an LOI beyond my first, and they said they would love to have it!

To clarify: Both the initial and second one would be to Vanderbilt. I didn't send two Intents to two different schools
 
I asked them specifically if I can send them an LOI beyond my first, and they said they would love to have it!

To clarify: Both the initial and second one would be to Vanderbilt. I didn't send two Intents to two different schools
I was referring to send multiple letters to different schools. But yeah a update letter will help you! It helps the school know you are still thinking about them and it gives you a way to update any changes to your application
 
So if they give you merit scholarships they don’t give you need-based scholarships? 😱
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yup. Full tuition scholarship ~60k. Still leaves ~36k which they "give" in loans.
Funniest part was that the graphic they have says there should be "$0" cost at the end, but that's only after $50,000 of "Loans (Self Help)".......
 
Last edited:
I’m in the same boat... loved the school but it is more expensive than my other options by a lot, even with the scholarship... will be withdrawing. Best of luck everyone!!!