2019-2020 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was there a prompt for the VCU MD/PhD program? I know I didn't write one for VCU but don't remember if there was a prompt or not. Think I'll email admissions to submit what I'm missing if it's not too late...

Members don't see this ad.

Was there a prompt for the VCU MD/PhD program? I know I didn't write one for VCU but don't remember if there was a prompt or not. Think I'll email admissions to submit what I'm missing if it's not too late...
There was no prompt for MD/PHD.

Reactions: 1 user
II!! IS re-applicant (waitlisted last year ). LM 67 ish. Complete 7/9- 7/13 somewhere in that range. Had my file review marked as complete on 9/9 so for those of you holding those messages don’t give up hope! First day was 10/31, rest in November.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone that flew into town for an interview have any recommendations on where i could stay? i called a couple of the VCU hotel recommendations but they either don’t have airport shuttles or the nightly (SOM interview) rate is way higher than what is on the VCU list. :( i have to stay in town for two nights because i’m also interviewing for fmstats which i’m really excited for but i’m broke y’all.

anyone that flew into town for an interview have any recommendations on where i could stay? i called a couple of the VCU hotel recommendations but they either don’t have airport shuttles or the nightly (SOM interview) rate is way higher than what is on the VCU list. :( i have to stay in town for two nights because i’m also interviewing for fmstats which i’m really excited for but i’m broke y’all.

I definitely understand where you are coming from (I am interviewing FMSTAT as well). I decided to book a hotel like 10 minutes from downtown. Hotels are 1/3 - 1/2 the price.

Reactions: 1 users
Check Airbnb! I stayed at one that was around $50 a night and less than a mile to the SOM campus.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm still waiting for the sub-committee to complete my application. Not quite understanding what this sub-committee is. Can someone explain?
Submitted mid august

I'm still waiting for the sub-committee to complete my application. Not quite understanding what this sub-committee is. Can someone explain?
Submitted mid august

I mean it’s just like any school. School have different ways of sending II but essentially usually one person admissions staff or Adcom member does an initial read and put it on a number of different tracks. Then at VCU the subcommittee (probably like 3 or 4 people from adcom plus some staff or Med students) goes through the application and gives it a score. I mean the full committee can’t score every application they get thousands, so it’s just a smaller group of people that give each file it’s final score.

I mean it’s just like any school. School have different ways of sending II but essentially usually one person admissions staff or Adcom member does an initial read and put it on a number of different tracks. Then at VCU the subcommittee (probably like 3 or 4 people from adcom plus some staff or Med students) goes through the application and gives it a score. I mean the full committee can’t score every application they get thousands, so it’s just a smaller group of people that give each file it’s final score.

Does it mean that if your status changed from “committee” to “sub-committee” you passed the initial review without getting rejected? Or am I reading too much into this

I am reading too much into this
That! Don’t worry about status changes until they tell you what they mean. Lots of people have been flipping between various states of committee :)

That! Don’t worry about status changes until they tell you what they mean. Lots of people have been flipping between various states of committee :)
The only status that is worth looking into is when you go to “your file review is complete.” Because then you have a file score and they send out interviews based on that! I waited like 3 weeks with that status and got a II.

There wasn't a prompt that was different from MD. However, there is a separate Reference Form that your research mentor needs to fill out and send. You can find it here About the program - VCU MD-PhD program

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure of the reference form is needed. I never had my PI fill it out and was still offered an MD/PHD II.
That is fair! But II does not = A. Maybe its worth looking into?

That is fair! But II does not = A. Maybe its worth looking into?
When I was contacted by their admissions office to arrange my interview and asked if my file required any other supplemental information other than my faculty interviewer preferences, I was informed that the rest of my file was complete.

I'm sure it couldn't hurt.

When I was contacted by their admissions office to arrange my interview and asked if my file required any other supplemental information other than my faculty interviewer preferences, I was informed that the rest of my file was complete.

All I am saying is that we shouldn't discourage people from going the extra mile even if it isn't "required". I trust you and believe you, but I would encourage others not to fill out paper work just because a stranger on the internet says they got an interview. Literally nothing against you pBAR but it could potentially help others!

+1 Also didn't submit the form and attended MD/PhD interview in September. :shrug:

Did anyone receive a "your file review is now complete" and NOT get an II? My status changed this evening and I am wondering what this means

Did anyone receive a "your file review is now complete" and NOT get an II? My status changed this evening and I am wondering what this means
It means that the sub-committee has done a full review of your file and given you a score. You are now in the queue with all the other files with final scores-- and they send out interview periodically based on what I assume is a score threshold-- that is either standard or relative to the other applications that are scored. Essentially it has a number-- your file-- and if that number is higher than their threshold for sending interviews you will get an interview. There are people on this thread that got the "file review is complete" back in july and august that have not reported getting II's. I had my file review done on approximately 9/9 and received an interview invite on 9/30!! so it is just a waiting game :)

Last year I had that status all cycle long, never heard anything, and eventually got an R in March. This year, I had it maybe 2 weeks and then got an II. It means nothing except that they’ve looked at and evaluated your file.

Reactions: 3 users
Last year I had that status all cycle long, never heard anything, and eventually got an R in March. This year, I had it maybe 2 weeks and then got an II. It means nothing except that they’ve looked at and evaluated your file.
Just to echo— it means your file is evaluated and has a score. That score may be good enough for an interview now, or in a few months, or never!

On hold for possible A/WL post II! :)

Reactions: 4 users
I stayed at the omni for my interview and really enjoyed it! (although one of the guys at the front desk gave me a hard time about late checkout) I remember the rate being about $130/night with all fees included. They have a super convenient shuttle (will take you anywhere in a 5mi radium) and can drop you off right in front of the building (or its a 10min walk). Both times I used it I had to wait <1min (once to get there ~7:30am and the other to get to my car parked at the hospital lot ~3pm)

Anyone that was complete in July still in radio silence? Haven't heard back since the complete email in 7/24

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone that was complete in July still in radio silence? Haven't heard back since the complete email in 7/24
I would have to imagine there are a lot of people still sitting in silence.

• Sad
II just received! Canadian applicant. I'm so happy I didn't expect anything

Reactions: 4 users
II received last friday and scheduled for Jan 7. Complete early Aug. OOS.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
For people who want hope, I am sure some (not a lot) dates will open up after October 16th as people will begin to cancel interviews if they get accepted to another school of their preference.

For people who want hope, I am sure some (not a lot) dates will open up after October 16th as people will begin to cancel interviews if they get accepted to another school of their preference.
This is exactly correct. I originally had my interview scheduled for Dec but randomly checked the portal one day and saw that a much earlier date opened up.

Would a current student graciously offer their experiences to me and the SDN community? Like what's unique about the curriculum, research, volunteer opportunities, etc?

Hey @Dean Mission you are gone but not forgotten. We miss you. GIVE US ANY SIGN if you are still there.

Would a current student graciously offer their experiences to me and the SDN community? Like what's unique about the curriculum, research, volunteer opportunities, etc?
I like the curriculum a lot, Block focused so you spend 1-3 weeks studying one subject and then test on it. A couple longitudinal courses throughout the year that meet every other week or so but don't take up too much time and are usually interesting. Good opportunities and decent funding for research- mostly focused on summer breaks but you can do it throughout the year if you really want to. More volunteer opportunities and clubs than you will have time for- always a fun lunch lecture/meeting and usually weekend conference/activity options as well. REALLY GOOD COMMUNITY OF STUDENTS (although I am biased obviously). People are always sharing resources and trying to help each other. Administration is pretty good and does try to listen to most of our concerns although they aren't perfect.
Nice new building, good technology in lecture rooms, cool simulation center for standardized patient practice. Richmond is amazing but I have lived here awhile so biased on that as well. Pass fail curric but they added a distinction for the newest class which is controversial.

let me know if you have any specific questions. all in all really enjoying the school so far. Between EVMS, VCU, and UVA I would choose VCU for the atmosphere/location/price unless you absolutely love research/prestige in which case UVA might fit better for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Still above ground and with a pulse. What questions might you have?

@Dean Mission Can you comment generally how things are moving this year? It seems that the II roll out came in a bit of a slower manner than last year.

And second, could you comment on the post-Mortem from last year’s wait list season? Have you been able to sit down and see how exactly the traffic rule changes ended up affecting things?

Can you provide information regarding approximately how many students are “on hold for acceptance” currently?
~200

@Dean Mission Can you comment generally how things are moving this year? It seems that the II roll out came in a bit of a slower manner than last year.

And second, could you comment on the post-Mortem from last year’s wait list season? Have you been able to sit down and see how exactly the traffic rule changes ended up affecting things?
Progress is almost exactly as planned; nothing is by chance and without intention. The way interview invites are extended this year has been changed and that accounts for the difference you see.

As far as the change in traffic rules are concerned -- that went about as I had anticipated. More offers had to be extended overall, and later into the cycle, because of uncertainties. A tremendous amount of analysis is currently going on to mitigate differences that applicants may see in the future. This cycle is likely to reflect a similar trend as was seen last cycle.

Reactions: 6 users
Are casper scores used for admission purposes pre/post II (or both)? Or for data analysis for the incoming class?

@Dean Mission are you able to know if they have reached the files of those who were complete in early September? Thanks!!

Rejected pre-II today. IS, LizzyM 64, LGBT, 5 years of clinical research experience, several thousand hours of clinical and shadowing experience, 200+ volunteer hours, worked for a non-profit in Central America for a year doing medical translating, and I had joint letters from three associate professors of medicine at UVA and a UVA department chair. Completed the first week of August. I'll be okay though, I've had three IIs. Good luck folks!

• Sad
Rejected pre-II today. IS, LizzyM 64, LGBT, 5 years of clinical research experience, several thousand hours of clinical and shadowing experience, 200+ volunteer hours, worked for a non-profit in Central America for a year doing medical translating, and I had joint letters from three associate professors of medicine at UVA and a UVA department chair. Completed the first week of August. I'll be okay though, I've had three IIs. Good luck folks!
Nice ECs :) I’m sure it’ll work out for you somewhere else!