2019-2020 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do the acceptances/ rejections go out on one particular date or is it pretty random from here on out?

Members don't see this ad.

Also placed on the alternate list today. No acceptances yet and VCU is my top choice, hoping for some in-state love!

Reactions: 6 users
Do the acceptances/ rejections go out on one particular date or is it pretty random from here on out?
all random from what I understand but tends to pick up more at like the end of april. get ready for that looooong wait and anxiety to kick in everytime you get an email!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Placed on the alternate list today as well. Heart almost broke when I saw the "we regret to inform you" at the beginning though haha

Reactions: 4 users
With the new AAMC rules aren't they not allowed to ask us if we've been accepted or not?

I've been accepted to an unranked MD but VCU has been my #1 choice this whole app cycle. I feel like I'm basically a definite no off the waitlist if I put down that I've been accepted elsewhere.

With the new AAMC rules aren't they not allowed to ask us if we've been accepted or not?

I've been accepted to an unranked MD but VCU has been my #1 choice this whole app cycle. I feel like I'm basically a definite no off the waitlist if I put down that I've been accepted elsewhere.

The rule isn’t new it’s the second year. They’re asking the question because they don’t know. They can ask you whatever they want. They asked the exact same question last year.

Why would you be a definite no? What are you talking about. You’re literally ranked by score on the waitlist. And they’ll go down in that order.

Reactions: 1 user
The rule isn’t new it’s the second year. They’re asking the question because they don’t know. They can ask you whatever they want. They asked the exact same question last year.

Why would you be a definite no? What are you talking about. You’re literally ranked by score on the waitlist. And they’ll go down in that order.
So does VCU have a ranked waitlist? Cause I know that some schools don't have rankings within the waitlist, but re-evaulate the students again when they have to take people off the waitlist and choose one.

So does VCU have a ranked waitlist? Cause I know that some schools don't have rankings within the waitlist, but re-evaulate the students again when they have to take people off the waitlist and choose one.
Vcus waitlist is ranked by the score you got at committee. They go down in order.

I was waitlisted here last year and ended up not getting accepted. It was difficult and I wasn't sure I would be a doctor after such a disappointing cycle. But I learned a lot about myself and bettered both myself and my application. For those on the WL, keep your head up! And for those who were rejected, I am confident that you will make excellent physicians one day! You got an interview and on hold for acceptance so you are obviously very well qualified. Just keep the faith even when it's very hard to do! PM me if you need any recs!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

I have friends who were accepted off the VCU waitlist with multiple acceptances elsewhere over friends who were on the waitlist without a single acceptance.

Advice is be truthful on the survey and send in a letter of intent, it won't help much but it can't hurt

Waitlisted yesterday, IS, interviewed back in October, happy to have finally heard back haha

To anyone who has been accepted, have you heard anything about financial aid forms or details about second look?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there are two separate waitlists for IS and OOS? Or is there just one?

does VCU accept letters of intent or updates? I was under the impression those were only accepted prior to when the committee met to discuss you and after that point the waitlist was already ranked and LOIs wouldn't make a difference.

does VCU accept letters of intent or updates? I was under the impression those were only accepted prior to when the committee met to discuss you and after that point the waitlist was already ranked and LOIs wouldn't make a difference.
On my interview day: whitehurst cook emphasized that letters of interest/intent would simply serve as a “check mark next to their name”. Basically saying this person is still interested. Beyond that they do not carry any additional weight. The waitlist simply is already ranked and they go down in that order. She said if it came down to two people somethjng like that might put you over the edge. But the order is already locked in.

Does anyone know when financial packages from VCU usually come out? Also is there anything accepted students need to complete besides the FAFSA?

Does anyone know when financial packages from VCU usually come out? Also is there anything accepted students need to complete besides the FAFSA?
I called and asked today when they typically come out, and was told not until late May or early June. The woman I spoke with specifically said “you will have to make a decision of where you’re going before you receive a financial aid package from us”. Also, if you want to be considered for scholarships then you have to fill out the CSS profile!

If we've accepted our spot on the alternate list and indicated that we have no other offers of acceptance but then post reply receive an acceptance, how do we go about updating our status with VCU? Or do they not care post-initial reply? I can't seem to get their blurb on the alternate list and the information we should and shout not update them with having already responded to their survey.

If we've accepted our spot on the alternate list and indicated that we have no other offers of acceptance but then post reply receive an acceptance, how do we go about updating our status with VCU? Or do they not care post-initial reply? I can't seem to get their blurb on the alternate list and the information we should and shout not update them with having already responded to their survey.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but the alternate list portal update says:

"We expect you to use this form even later in the summer should you be accepted elsewhere and no longer wish to be considered. This enables you to be more respectful of your fellow applicants that are awaiting offers and allows us to manage the Alternate List more fairly. PLEASE REMEMBER to notify us at any time if your interest in our school changes."

It doesn't say anything about if you later receive an acceptance elsewhere BUT still want to be on VCU's waitlist

Not sure if this is what you mean, but the alternate list portal update says:

"We expect you to use this form even later in the summer should you be accepted elsewhere and no longer wish to be considered. This enables you to be more respectful of your fellow applicants that are awaiting offers and allows us to manage the Alternate List more fairly. PLEASE REMEMBER to notify us at any time if your interest in our school changes."

It doesn't say anything about if you later receive an acceptance elsewhere BUT still want to be on VCU's waitlist
Yeah, that's what I meant - thank you!

For some reason that text that accompanied the alternate status disappeared after I replied to the survey.

Yeah, that's what I meant - thank you!

For some reason that text that accompanied the alternate status disappeared after I replied to the survey.

yeah, same. I just forgot to submit it immediately so I still had access to the original message lol but now it’s gone for me too

Hi, I am a current accepted student and I am wondering if any important emails were sent out to accepted students in the past 10 days. There was something wrong with my email account and I only noticed yesterday that my incoming emails were not coming through.

Has anything regarding the VCU eID or email or financial aid been sent out to anyone yet? Thank you!!

Hi, I am a current accepted student and I am wondering if any important emails were sent out to accepted students in the past 10 days. There was something wrong with my email account and I only noticed yesterday that my incoming emails were not coming through.

Has anything regarding the VCU eID or email or financial aid been sent out to anyone yet? Thank you!!

The only thing the email said was welcoming us to the VCU community and looking forward to seeing us on July 27, which is when orientation starts in Richmond. The email also mentions that the orientation website (I'm guessing an online resource to better help us prepare for start of semester?) will become available on April 10.

There was no mention of the VCU eID or email or financial aid. I believe these things will happen after we CTE any time after April 30? But I could be wrong.

Pre-II R today. Out of interview slots message.

+3

I really appreciate the fact that we get an email telling us to check the portal instead of outright telling us lol. Wonder what it could be!!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
If I may ask, what did your rejection email say?
Your file has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. The overwhelming numbers of applications have made it simply impossible to interview all of the candidates who may be qualified to attend medical school. At this time, we are out of interview space and regret that we are unable to interview you.

The review of your file indicates that you have some fine qualities. While we are unable to interview you this year, we would suggest you consider reapplication if you are not accepted to another medical school. Reapplication should occur only after consideration and consultation of how to strengthen your profile.

We recognize and regret the disappointing nature of our decision and we wish you the best of luck in your future plans.

Reactions: 2 users
+3

I really appreciate the fact that we get an email telling us to check the portal instead of outright telling us lol. Wonder what it could be!!
+4 on the pre-II R. Complete mid-July, file review was complete beginning of January. I already had counted this one as rejection since interviews were over a while ago.

Does anyone know where to find the 2020 VCU match list? Thanks!

The official list is not out yet. This is from an email earlier today.

“2020 Main Residency Match. 95.3% of our graduating students matched into a PGY-1 position prior to the Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program (SOAP), above the national average of 94.6%.

75 students (35%) matched into primary care specialties: 26 in Internal Medicine; 26 in Family Medicine; 19 in Pediatrics; three into Combined Internal Medicine/Pediatrics; and one into combined Internal Medicine/Emergency Medicine. We are pleased that 22 of our students matched into Anesthesiology; 16 into Emergency Medicine; 14 each into Obstetrics/Gynecology and Psychiatry; 10 into Orthopedic Surgery; nine into Diagnostic Radiology; six each into Neurology and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation; five into General Surgery; four into Dermatology; three into Otolaryngology; and one each into Pathology, Radiation Oncology, and Integrated Plastic Surgery. Six into Neurosurgery and one into Integrated Vacular Surgery.”

This is helpful, thank you! By chance, do you know when they will post where people matched?

Decided to withdraw my application to MD/PhD. But I had a great experience at the interview, and I hope someone gets good news today or next week! Good luck everyone who is waiting!

Due to COVID-19, my university is going online with courses and I am currently taking Organic Chemistry Lab (2.5 credits), which is a pre-med requirement for medical schools. I am a current accepted student at VCU SOM and I am wondering if a pass/fail designation for this course would still be allowed for the requirement since I will still be receiving 2.5 credits.

Due to COVID-19, my university is going online with courses and I am currently taking Organic Chemistry Lab (2.5 credits), which is a pre-med requirement for medical schools. I am a current accepted student at VCU SOM and I am wondering if a pass/fail designation for this course would still be allowed for the requirement since I will still be receiving 2.5 credits.

You’re fine brother / sister. This **** is scary and they understand. (Also orgo lab is so not important lol)

Has anyone on the waitlist tried to call the office and ask their rank?

Does anyone know any details with financial aid with OOS students? I know that VCU said half the student body got scholarships in the last 5 years but does anyone know specifics with OOS students?

As a follow-up question to the above, do we need a car for M3 and M4? A little embarrassed to admit I don't have a license...never needed one in the cities I've lived in.

Do you recommend that we get a car as an M1 at VCU?

@ppushpak
and other current students
As a follow-up question to the above, do we need a car for M3 and M4? A little embarrassed to admit I don't have a license...never needed one in the cities I've lived in.
You do not need one M1. M2 you will he assigned a preceptor so you may need a car if the preceptor is not at the hospital. But I’m sure this can be circumvented via Ridesharing services

M3 and M4 I am told you are required to have access to a car, especially because rotations can be at the VA (Veterans affairs) or in locations outside of the city. I don’t think ride sharing is feasible in this situation.