Dec 17, 2018
So, to answer the questions. At this point everyone on hold for acceptance will be shrunk to the waitlist which last year was 250 people. Let’s say at this point they interviewed about 700-about 200 acceptances-let’s say maybe 50 post II rejections (they don’t seem common) or 100. That’s like a pool of 400 or 450 that needs to be shrunk to about 250. These numbers are just guesses but yes rejections will be given out when the waitlist is made. From there 250 or so are on the waitlists for 80-100 acceptances.

Source: q and a from dean mission last waistlist

About the Ads

jpvn2015

5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
So, to answer the questions. At this point everyone on hold for acceptance will be shrunk to the waitlist which last year was 250 people. Let’s say at this point they interviewed about 700-about 200 acceptances-let’s say maybe 50 post II rejections (they don’t seem common) or 100. That’s like a pool of 400 or 450 that needs to be shrunk to about 250. These numbers are just guesses but yes rejections will be given out when the waitlist is made. From there 250 or so are on the waitlists for 80-100 acceptances.

Exactly this.

Reactions: ppushpak
Oct 16, 2019

Thank you.

Mar 21, 2015
Dr. Whitehurst-Cook told us that offers go out on Monday and waitlist/rejection notifications will be coming out later in the week during my interview (Late February). They also said that almost half of their class is from the waitlist so there's still a really good shot :)
So we can expect waitlist info tomorrow?? In the past I think it’s been more mid March...

About the Ads
Dec 17, 2018
My withdraw tab disappeared. Looks like I’m getting the ax. Welp looks like I won’t be a doctor. Good luck to everyone else
For those who don’t know: when the withdraw tab disappears that means you didn’t make the waitlist cut. I guess this really is happening now.

Dec 17, 2018
My withdraw tab disappeared. Looks like I’m getting the ax. Welp looks like I won’t be a doctor. Good luck to everyone else
I know this doesn’t need to be said, but I believe you’re going to be an incredible doctor. You got an interview and put on hold for acceptance at an excellent medical school. I believe in you, you should too!!

Medsthetic

2+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
If we still have withdraw tab is that confirmed waitlist, or still unsure?

P.s. this is my last skool

Dec 17, 2018
If we still have withdraw tab is that confirmed waitlist, or still unsure?

P.s. this is my last skool
You’re on the waitlist. If by confirmed you mean you received the official notice: that will be 6:05. But that’s how it works, you’re on the waitlist.

Reactions: Wakanda70

medschoolaspirant

2+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Waitlist is like 250ish people right?
MSAR is mentioning waitlist for VCU - 100 (250 apprantly may be coming from some other source). Acceptance from waitlist-75. so they are filling little less than half the class from waitlist. Get waitlisted, then dont lose hope.

About the Ads

keelhaul

2+ Year Member
May 17, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
MSAR is mentioning waitlist for VCU - 100 (250 apprantly may be coming from some other source). Acceptance from waitlist-75. so they are filling little less than half the class from waitlist. Get waitlisted, then dont lose hope.
MSAR isn’t accurate about the waitlist. If you look at last year’s VCU sdn thread, Dean Mission aka a VCU adcom had a Q&A and mentioned the WL being ~250 people

Mar 2, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
I got a portal update to be offered a spot on the alternate list.

I am extremely excited and scared to get my hopes up at the same time.
you and me both - like on one hand i'm thinking like okay, a decent amount of people get off the waitlist, there is still a good chance. but also like what if I'm last on the waitlist and there's actually no chance lol

Dec 27, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone! Was the Alternate List Form we were supposed to fill out just that multiple choice question in the Alternate List tab?

About the Ads
Aug 13, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
With the new AAMC rules aren't they not allowed to ask us if we've been accepted or not?

I've been accepted to an unranked MD but VCU has been my #1 choice this whole app cycle. I feel like I'm basically a definite no off the waitlist if I put down that I've been accepted elsewhere.

Dec 17, 2018
With the new AAMC rules aren't they not allowed to ask us if we've been accepted or not?

I've been accepted to an unranked MD but VCU has been my #1 choice this whole app cycle. I feel like I'm basically a definite no off the waitlist if I put down that I've been accepted elsewhere.
The rule isn’t new it’s the second year. They’re asking the question because they don’t know. They can ask you whatever they want. They asked the exact same question last year.

Why would you be a definite no? What are you talking about. You’re literally ranked by score on the waitlist. And they’ll go down in that order.

Reactions: ppushpak
May 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
The rule isn’t new it’s the second year. They’re asking the question because they don’t know. They can ask you whatever they want. They asked the exact same question last year.

Why would you be a definite no? What are you talking about. You’re literally ranked by score on the waitlist. And they’ll go down in that order.
So does VCU have a ranked waitlist? Cause I know that some schools don't have rankings within the waitlist, but re-evaulate the students again when they have to take people off the waitlist and choose one.

Dec 17, 2018
So does VCU have a ranked waitlist? Cause I know that some schools don't have rankings within the waitlist, but re-evaulate the students again when they have to take people off the waitlist and choose one.
Vcus waitlist is ranked by the score you got at committee. They go down in order.

Reactions: awklittlefoot

jpvn2015

5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I was waitlisted here last year and ended up not getting accepted. It was difficult and I wasn't sure I would be a doctor after such a disappointing cycle. But I learned a lot about myself and bettered both myself and my application. For those on the WL, keep your head up! And for those who were rejected, I am confident that you will make excellent physicians one day! You got an interview and on hold for acceptance so you are obviously very well qualified. Just keep the faith even when it's very hard to do! PM me if you need any recs!

ppushpak

2+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical

I have friends who were accepted off the VCU waitlist with multiple acceptances elsewhere over friends who were on the waitlist without a single acceptance.

Advice is be truthful on the survey and send in a letter of intent, it won't help much but it can't hurt

Mar 21, 2019
Waitlisted yesterday, IS, interviewed back in October, happy to have finally heard back haha

Reactions: Jhepp23
Apr 16, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
To anyone who has been accepted, have you heard anything about financial aid forms or details about second look?

Dec 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
does VCU accept letters of intent or updates? I was under the impression those were only accepted prior to when the committee met to discuss you and after that point the waitlist was already ranked and LOIs wouldn't make a difference.

Dec 17, 2018
does VCU accept letters of intent or updates? I was under the impression those were only accepted prior to when the committee met to discuss you and after that point the waitlist was already ranked and LOIs wouldn't make a difference.
On my interview day: whitehurst cook emphasized that letters of interest/intent would simply serve as a “check mark next to their name”. Basically saying this person is still interested. Beyond that they do not carry any additional weight. The waitlist simply is already ranked and they go down in that order. She said if it came down to two people somethjng like that might put you over the edge. But the order is already locked in.

Reactions: awklittlefoot
Sep 13, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know when financial packages from VCU usually come out? Also is there anything accepted students need to complete besides the FAFSA?

zlogan15

2+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Does anyone know when financial packages from VCU usually come out? Also is there anything accepted students need to complete besides the FAFSA?
I called and asked today when they typically come out, and was told not until late May or early June. The woman I spoke with specifically said “you will have to make a decision of where you’re going before you receive a financial aid package from us”. Also, if you want to be considered for scholarships then you have to fill out the CSS profile!

Reactions: Talldoctor96
Feb 7, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
If we've accepted our spot on the alternate list and indicated that we have no other offers of acceptance but then post reply receive an acceptance, how do we go about updating our status with VCU? Or do they not care post-initial reply? I can't seem to get their blurb on the alternate list and the information we should and shout not update them with having already responded to their survey.

About the Ads