2019-2020 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! Does anyone know the best way to send in updates?

Members don't see this ad.

anyone have any idea on when some waitlist movement might start happening?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone have any idea on when some waitlist movement might start happening?

Based on historic trends, WL movement across the US really starts picking up around April 30, when schools can see which students PTE. At this time students can only hold one official acceptance, thus it opens to the door for others to get accepted. There will be continued movement heavily throughout May and June, as some students will get off another WL and thus open up WL spots elsewhere. It slows down through June and July when the final wave of students CTE.

Reactions: 1 user
Based on historic trends, WL movement across the US really starts picking up around April 30, when schools can see which students PTE. At this time students can only hold one official acceptance, thus it opens to the door for others to get accepted. There will be continued movement heavily throughout May and June, as some students will get off another WL and thus open up WL spots elsewhere. It slows down through June and July when the final wave of students CTE.

Last year there was a lot of movement beginning in April.

Last year there was a lot of movement beginning in April.

That's true there def was some beginning in April. I think May is usually the month with the most movement, but I could be wrong.

That's true there def was some beginning in April. I think May is usually the month with the most movement, but I could be wrong.
Your statement wasn’t wrong in anyway. Was just adding what I remmebered last year— but each cycle is different and i know they took things a little more slowly this year.

I know this has probably already been asked but as someone on the waitlist is it worth an update or is my place on the waitlist set and it wouldn’t make much difference?

My opinion is that an update never hurts unless they explicitly said to not send updates.

My opinion is that an update never hurts unless they explicitly said to not send updates.
However at this point is it going change anything really? No you have your score and the waitlist is ranked. Dr. whitehurst cook explained on interview day that at this point an update/ letter of interest/ letter of in tenting is pretty much just checking a box next to your name that you are still interested. If she is choosing between 2 ranked applicants next to each other she might go with the one with a checked box next to it. But the reality is that’s the only difference it’s going to make.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how soon after paying the $100 deposit can we expect to get information about onboarding, ie vaccinations, where to send official transcripts, doing something with the VCU eID posted on the secondary portal? Haven't really received anything about next steps aside from the emails regarding orientation.

Hey guys, I am high school senior was recently admitted to many T20 undergrads and also 2 BS/MD Programs (SUNY Upstate and Virignia Commonwealth Med). I have made a list of all the programs I am considering and needed some advice. I am pretty set on BS/MD but will include regular undergrad options as well.

Adelphi University + SUNY Upstate- 7 year program
Pros:

- No MCAT
- 7 year program
- 1.5 hours from home
- Adelphi is a private school with seminar style classes
- Close to NYC
- Will have a pretty light premed experience since they accepted my dual enrollment credit for Gen Chem I & II, Gen Bio I & II, Gen Physics I & II

Cons:
- Fairly new program
- Not as highly ranked as VCU (I don't know if this matters).
- Cohort of BS/MD kids will be 2-3 students and I don't know if I will find people as driven as I am during undergrad.
- Syracuse is cold
- Will not be able to make connections at Upstate early on since it is in Syracuse, but Long Island Jewish Hospital and NYU Winthrop are close to Adelphi University.
- Not as great research at Adelphi.

Virginia Commonwealth University + VCU SOM- 8 year program

Pros:
- Established and reputed program
- 5 min from med school so ample opportunities to do research and get published while also making connections with faculty early on which might prove beneficial once in med school
- Loved the honors college and the comradery among BS/MD students.
- Great Med School
- Cohort of 15 driven students
- Great Dorms- single rooms for all honors college students with private bathrooms
- Honors college is well set up
- Better weather

Cons:
- 8 year program- but I can graduate in three years and then do something else for the 4th year
- 508 MCAT
- More required science courses
- 5 hours away from home

Undergrad Schools:
USC- Keck School of Medicine Global Health Undergrad Program
University of Michigan- Did research with the global leader in prostate cancer. Will do research here for all of undergrad if I go. Will graduate in three years since I can transfer 64 credits from dual enrollment.
University of NC Chapel Hill- Will graduate in three years since I can transfer 64 credits from dual enrollment.

Again, I am leading towards BS/MD program. I am very very confused since I loved both...needed some advice on how to go about things.

Hey guys, I am high school senior was recently admitted to many T20 undergrads and also 2 BS/MD Programs (SUNY Upstate and Virignia Commonwealth Med). I have made a list of all the programs I am considering and needed some advice. I am pretty set on BS/MD but will include regular undergrad options as well.

Adelphi University + SUNY Upstate- 7 year program
Pros:

- No MCAT
- 7 year program
- 1.5 hours from home
- Adelphi is a private school with seminar style classes
- Close to NYC
- Will have a pretty light premed experience since they accepted my dual enrollment credit for Gen Chem I & II, Gen Bio I & II, Gen Physics I & II

Cons:
- Fairly new program
- Not as highly ranked as VCU (I don't know if this matters).
- Cohort of BS/MD kids will be 2-3 students and I don't know if I will find people as driven as I am during undergrad.
- Syracuse is cold
- Will not be able to make connections at Upstate early on since it is in Syracuse, but Long Island Jewish Hospital and NYU Winthrop are close to Adelphi University.
- Not as great research at Adelphi.

Virginia Commonwealth University + VCU SOM- 8 year program

Pros:
- Established and reputed program
- 5 min from med school so ample opportunities to do research and get published while also making connections with faculty early on which might prove beneficial once in med school
- Loved the honors college and the comradery among BS/MD students.
- Great Med School
- Cohort of 15 driven students
- Great Dorms- single rooms for all honors college students with private bathrooms
- Honors college is well set up
- Better weather

Cons:
- 8 year program- but I can graduate in three years and then do something else for the 4th year
- 508 MCAT
- More required science courses
- 5 hours away from home

Undergrad Schools:
USC- Keck School of Medicine Global Health Undergrad Program
University of Michigan- Did research with the global leader in prostate cancer. Will do research here for all of undergrad if I go. Will graduate in three years since I can transfer 64 credits from dual enrollment.
University of NC Chapel Hill- Will graduate in three years since I can transfer 64 credits from dual enrollment.

Again, I am leading towards BS/MD program. I am very very confused since I loved both...needed some advice on how to go about things.

Hey! First off congrats on this huge achievement as it takes a very bright and driven guy/gal to get admitted to a BS/MD program!
Now, I’ll give you my personal opinion. I think you should go for UM. For several reasons:
1.) I think your smarter than the average Joe and could get accepted to a much higher ranked medical school in the near future. This is important because now the reputation of your medical school will play a more significant role on the specialty you get accepted to (and your residency program). This is because STEP 1 has transitioned to a P/F system which changed a lot of things. VCU I would say is a mid-tier program and SUNY upstate prob low-tier. Based of my impression of you, you seem like you’ll kill the MCAT and get accepted to a top tier med school.
2.) what are you like 17? 18? Are you 100% confident that you want to be a physician? In college you learn a lot about yourself and meet some really cool people who might inspire you to go into a different field.
3.) Even if medicine is your calling, college life at UM will be significantly more fun and enjoyable, you’ll meet some incredible cool faculty, you can get a lot of research in, finish in same amount of time once your done with med school, and get accepted to a much more reputable MD program who will help you get into the best residency for your specialty of choice.

Whatever path you choose, I’m sure you’ll be successful. If I’ve learned anything throughout college and the application cycle is to make the decision that will make you happy NOW. Not in 4 years or 10 years because **** always happens. So if you think you’ll have a nice and enjoyable life through the BS/MD program go for it! If not, I would think twice before signing up for a 7-yr commitment! Good luck mate!

Hey! First off congrats on this huge achievement as it takes a very bright and driven guy/gal to get admitted to a BS/MD program!
Now, I’ll give you my personal opinion. I think you should go for UM. For several reasons:
1.) I think your smarter than the average Joe and could get accepted to a much higher ranked medical school in the near future. This is important because now the reputation of your medical school will play a more significant role on the specialty you get accepted to (and your residency program). This is because STEP 1 has transitioned to a P/F system which changed a lot of things. VCU I would say is a mid-tier program and SUNY upstate prob low-tier. Based of my impression of you, you seem like you’ll kill the MCAT and get accepted to a top tier med school.
2.) what are you like 17? 18? Are you 100% confident that you want to be a physician? In college you learn a lot about yourself and meet some really cool people who might inspire you to go into a different field.
3.) Even if medicine is your calling, college life at UM will be significantly more fun and enjoyable, you’ll meet some incredible cool faculty, you can get a lot of research in, finish in same amount of time once your done with med school, and get accepted to a much more reputable MD program who will help you get into the best residency for your specialty of choice.

Whatever path you choose, I’m sure you’ll be successful. If I’ve learned anything throughout college and the application cycle is to make the decision that will make you happy NOW. Not in 4 years or 10 years because **** always happens. So if you think you’ll have a nice and enjoyable life through the BS/MD program go for it! If not, I would think twice before signing up for a 7-yr commitment! Good luck mate!

Hi! Thank you so much for your response and kind wishes. I loved your advice on what I should do. The one thing was that UM (being that im OOS) will end up costing 300k+ and since I have significant scholarships from both, my total cost of education for either 7 or 8 years will be around 300-350k.

I was leaning towards BS/MD not only because of the cost but also the assured medical school seat. Between Upstate and VCU which would you recommend, knowing that upstate is 7 year with no mcat while VCU is mcat plus 8 years. Just trying to play devil's advocate and trying to make the best decision for myself.

Thanks again!!

Hi! Thank you so much for your response and kind wishes. I loved your advice on what I should do. The one thing was that UM (being that im OOS) will end up costing 300k+ and since I have significant scholarships from both, my total cost of education for either 7 or 8 years will be around 300-350k.

I was leaning towards BS/MD not only because of the cost but also the assured medical school seat. Between Upstate and VCU which would you recommend, knowing that upstate is 7 year with no mcat while VCU is mcat plus 8 years. Just trying to play devil's advocate and trying to make the best decision for myself.

Thanks again!!
Between SUNY and VCU, I would def go for VCU (for all reasons you mentioned above and more). Seems kind of funny how your worrying about the MCAT and letting it affect your decision haha. It's really not that bad if you put in the effort (despite everyone freaking about it here and on reddit). If you're bright enough to do well enough on the SAT's and get accepted to a BS/MD program, you will be bright enough to do well on the MCAT (well above a 508 haha).
Also if I were you, I wouldn't let money affect my decision. FAFSA and federal loans come in clutch. You'll pay it all back when you'll be making millions as a physician!

Thanks again!!
Hi!

Congratulations on your admissions! I would personally recommend Adelphi over VCU based on what I've discussed with some friends who participated in 7 and 8 year BS-MD programs. There are a few reasons I recommend you choose Adelphi including not having to take the MCAT, you will save a year, and your schedule will be light. I understand that VCU might offer a few perks for the first year such as your own dorm and the better weather, but based on the reasons I said before, I think Adelphi is the better option and I'll go into more detail.

First of all, the MCAT is a very hard and stressful test. Now, I am sure that you will do great if you study and put effort in, but just having to take the MCAT means you need to dedicate months of study time to it. That is a very stressful time and you will always have the MCAT on your mind until you get your score back. And for any reason if you don't get a 508, you will lose your spot. I had multiple friends who were in 7 and 8 year programs at Brody School of Medicine and UF School of Medicine and they said that the best part of their admission was that they didn't have to take the MCAT and that they had a seat reserved no matter what.

Regarding saving a year, you should think about the future. Including BS, med school, residency, and possibly fellowship, you will be 30 or older by the time you are done with you education. That is a big chunk of your life and therefore, I believe that every single year you could save would be worth it.

And finally, undergrad is a time when you should enjoy. Since you know your schedule will be light at Adelphi, you will be able to take advantage of the time you are there and have fun, make friends, and try cool things. You will also have more time to travel/study abroad if you would like to do so.

When I was in my sophomore year, my friend and I both applied to an early assurance program at UF where if accepted, I would transfer to UF for my junior year and then start med school instead of my senior year. When applying, I didn't take the application seriously while my friend did. He got accepted and I regret greatly not putting all of my effort into the application. My friend had a great junior year since he knew he was going to medical school no matter what and he didn't have to stress about the MCAT. Meanwhile, I spent more than half of my junior year studying for the MCAT and was lucky enough to get a decent score. Had I not, as some of my friends didnt, I would have to spend many more studying again and stressing about the test again.

Additionally, I know you said that Adelphi isn't as highly ranked as VCU. However, based on the discussions I have had with admissions officers at multiple med schools and with medical students, I believe that the ranking of your school doesn't matter much. Even with the pass/fail Step 1, what matters more is your activites, experiences, and your Step 2 score. Even if you go to Harvard, that doesn't guarantee you the best residency. What matters is wherever you are, you get involved, obtain experience, and make connections to get recommendation letters.

Therefore, I suggest you choose Adelphi. Regardless of what you choose, you have two great options! Please let me know if you have any questions or want to discuss this further. I am happy to share my experiences and those of my friends to help you however I can.

Hey can anyone who is on the alternate list show me what it says on the portal currently? I keep on getting error messages when I try to log into the portal..

Anyone know when finiancial aid stuff will be released?
I called and asked today when they typically come out, and was told not until late May or early June. The woman I spoke with specifically said “you will have to make a decision of where you’re going before you receive a financial aid package from us”. Also, if you want to be considered for scholarships then you have to fill out the CSS profile!

Hey can anyone who is on the alternate list show me what it says on the portal currently? I keep on getting error messages when I try to log into the portal..
On the home page, it says:

APPLICATION STATUS
This is to acknowledge receipt of your response to the Alternate List.

Reactions: 2 users
OOS applicant. Withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck to those of you on the WL!!!!

Reactions: 12 users
Hello! I am an IS applicant who was placed on the alternative list. Based on historical trends, is there very little IS waitlist movement compared to OOS waitlist movement? I appreciate any feedback!

Hello! I am an IS applicant who was placed on the alternative list. Based on historical trends, is there very little IS waitlist movement compared to OOS waitlist movement? I appreciate any feedback!
There is plenty of moment both for IS and OOS. Ultimately there will be a little more OOS movement.

@ppushpak Could you start an excel sheet on your class FB page (class of 2023) where people can sign up if they are opened to calling the incoming students to give their experiences at VCU? You could also start a excel sheet on the class of 2024 page that lets interested incoming students sign up too. I think this would be really helpful for everyone and especially for students who are deciding between schools.

@ppushpak Could you start an excel sheet on your class FB page (class of 2023) where people can sign up if they are opened to calling the incoming students to give their experiences at VCU? You could also start a excel sheet on the class of 2024 page that lets interested incoming students sign up too. I think this would be really helpful for everyone and especially for students who are deciding between schools.
Pretty sure hed have to go through the admissions office to do this.

If we got off the waitlist and get accepted, do we only get notified on Mondays?

Definitely something I’ll ask the admissions committee but please feel free to ask questions in the 2024 FB group in the meantime. We added in a bunch of upperclassmen recently and I’m sure they’re more than willing to answer questions about their experiences

Does VCU match scholarship offers?
I think its safe to say that no med school in the country automatically matches scholarship offers. And considering VCU sends out their FA historically after decisions need to be made... that would be difficult.

Is anyone else surprised there hasn’t been any waitlist movement yet? I’m stressing out over here

Is anyone else surprised there hasn’t been any waitlist movement yet? I’m stressing out over here
theres probably been like a couple people and maybe they just arent on sdn.. but i feel ya tomorrow the real stress begins

So if you look at previous years, not only this school but at others too, wait-list movement occurred around now and even earlier especially for instate students. However IMO, schools did not know how to exactly treat the new dates put in place by AAMC where you have to narrow down one acceptance by 4/30. So to me, I see most wait list movement happening after that. Spots will drop off just before or after the 30th, opening up spots. This is of course my opinion, but it just seems logical that people will wait till the last minute to drop their spot.

So if you look at previous years, not only this school but at others too, wait-list movement occurred around now and even earlier especially for instate students. However IMO, schools did not know how to exactly treat the new dates put in place by AAMC where you have to narrow down one acceptance by 4/30. So to me, I see most wait list movement happening after that. Spots will drop off just before or after the 30th, opening up spots. This is of course my opinion, but it just seems logical that people will wait till the last minute to drop their spot.

They said at the beginning of this year they were doing things differently. Last cycle they sent out interviews wayyyy faster and were moving faster because they were worried about the change in multiple acceptance rules. This year, they slowed things back down again and were doing things differently. So it’s impossible to compare the timing of last years cycle to this one.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if VCU is changing the pre-clinical years to Distinction/P/F for the first year. I feel like this is going to make things competitive again. :/

Does anyone know if VCU is changing the pre-clinical years to Distinction/P/F for the first year. I feel like this is going to make things competitive again. :/
Why would they do that? It’s true pass fail?

Why would they do that? It’s true pass fail?
I guess I misunderstood. It is True Pass fail with a possibility of distinction if you are the top whatever percent. Thats the way its always been. Its P/F and a certain percentage towards the top will get distinction.

I guess I misunderstood. It is True Pass fail with a possibility of distinction if you are the top whatever percent. Thats the way its always been. Its P/F and a certain percentage towards the top will get distinction.

Got it. I didn't realize that's the way it's always been.

Hi guys! Currently waitlisted here, was wondering if anyone WLed have an idea of if we should submit fafsa asap? Is there any deadline that is VCU specific that we need to be aware of? Thanks!

Hi guys! Currently waitlisted here, was wondering if anyone WLed have an idea of if we should submit fafsa asap? Is there any deadline that is VCU specific that we need to be aware of? Thanks!
Submit it now, why not?

Got it. I didn't realize that's the way it's always been.

this is actually the first year it’s been like this.

Our current M4s had P/F with quartiles when they started school but Quartiles were removed during their first year to make it true P/F.

This year they wanted a metric to reward students who did well in preclinicals so they instituted a Distinction category where a student has to average a 92 in their pre clinical years. Historically it’s about 10% of the class that averages a 92 but theoretically everyone can . There’s no limit to how many people can receive distinction.

A waitlist update: The list will begin to move in the next week or two. I was told this during a discussion from someone in admissions when I had a question.

Reactions: 10 users
Anybody else get that email today saying the alternate list would begin seeing movement?

Reactions: 21 users