2019-2020 Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Wake Forest University

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS got family in the area. I like this school and the area!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the most current MCAT 10%/25% and 10% Bio scores for this school?

OOS applicant here. Never visited Wake Forest. I know they have a great sports med department. Hopeful for an interview and would love to attend this school :)

Current Wake undergrad here! I can answer any questions about the area. I also spend a decent amount of time at the hospital and have classes in the same building as the med school so I might be able to answer questions about facilities.

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary Received!

We seek to train physicians who can connect with diverse patient populations with whom they may not share a similar background. Tell us about an experience that has broadened your own worldview or enhanced your ability to understand those unlike yourself. (200 words)

Describe a non-academic challenge you have faced and explain how you overcame it. (200 words)

From your list of "most meaningful experiences" on the AMCAS application, choose one that has been the most formative in terms of your desire for a career in medicine. Why did that experience have such meaning for you in your decision-making process? How did it prepare you for a career in medicine? (200 words)

Tell us about any specific reason(s) (personal, educational, etc.) why you see yourself here at the Wake Forest School of Medicine. (200 words)

Please tell us an interesting fact about yourself that a casual acquaintance may find surprising or interesting. (50 words)

Reactions: 5 users
Secondary Received!

We seek to train physicians who can connect with diverse patient populations with whom they may not share a similar background. Tell us about an experience that has broadened your own worldview or enhanced your ability to understand those unlike yourself. (200 words)

Describe a non-academic challenge you have faced and explain how you overcame it. (200 words)

From your list of "most meaningful experiences" on the AMCAS application, choose one that has been the most formative in terms of your desire for a career in medicine. Why did that experience have such meaning for you in your decision-making process? How did it prepare you for a career in medicine? (200 words)

Tell us about any specific reason(s) (personal, educational, etc.) why you see yourself here at the Wake Forest School of Medicine. (200 words)

Please tell us an interesting fact about yourself that a casual acquaintance may find surprising or interesting. (50 words)

When were you verified?

"Starting with the 2020 admissions cycle, Wake Forest School of Medicine now requires that applicants have at least a minimum overall MCAT score of a 507 and a minimum Science GPA of a 3.2 for your application to be reviewed. We encourage applicants to take the MCAT no more than twice to be competitive, and graduate and post-baccalaureate coursework will be taken into account when reviewing your science GPA. The Office of Medical Student Admissions highly recommends that applicants review the previous year’s class profile to determine if returning a secondary is in your best interest. Click here to view the class profile."

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if that first question is basically a diversity essay? Do you think we have to be committed to talking about one experience? My whole essay is about how a plethora of experiences have given me a unique view :/

Really hoping my psych subsection did't get me screened out (508 total)

I wouldn’t worry too much if you haven’t received a secondary. I’m above their cutoffs for both criteria and I still haven’t received one either.

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received. Verified 6/3

I wouldn’t worry too much if you haven’t received a secondary. I’m above their cutoffs for both criteria and I still haven’t received one either.
I second that, far above the cut off and havent heard a thing.

I still don't have this secondary and am above their screening criteria. Also why did they change all the essays. I actually prewrote this entire secondary and now I have a lot of editing to do.

I second that, far above the cut off and havent heard a thing.
I just got mine and am far above as well. Guess it is in batches!

I received a secondary but will not be completing it as my MCAT does not meet the minimum for out of state. Good luck everyone!

I still don't have this secondary and am above their screening criteria. Also why did they change all the essays. I actually prewrote this entire secondary and now I have a lot of editing to do.

It’s even worse that they cut down from 400 to 200 words for each question

Secondary received. Below GPA screen but far above MCAT

Edit: seems like they aren't screening who secondaries are sent out to, just who they will accept secondaries from. Will not be completing this secondary as a result, but good luck to everyone here!

Edit: seems like they aren't screening who secondaries are sent out to, just who they will accept secondaries from. Will not be completing this secondary as a result, but good luck to everyone here!

Yeah, that what I thought it meant. Good luck with everything.

Anyone know if that first question is basically a diversity essay? Do you think we have to be committed to talking about one experience? My whole essay is about how a plethora of experiences have given me a unique view :/

I don't think so. It is more of a cultural competence essay. It is not asking how you are diverse, but how you deal with other people's diversity. Similar, but a bit different. I would be careful just using a generic diversity essay for this one.

How long is the dedicated USMLE I study time at this school? From their website it appears there is 4 weeks (maybe 5) starting with the new curriculum Wake! Ready. There appears to be some time to study during break between year 1 and 2 but I'm not sure how practical it is to study that far ahead before finishing all the modules. Any current students that can comment?

What are people putting for the interesting fact prompt? How serious do we need to be?

What are people putting for the interesting fact prompt? How serious do we need to be?
"It's been suggested that Stephen Hawking stole his Brief History of Time from my fourth-grade paper. Unrelated, I also like quoting movies regardless of context."

When it asks for someone I know that graduated there, can I put someone I know that isn't related to me as "Other relative" or am I rip? If it helps answer the question, they got their PhD there, not MD.

Got verified last week and still haven’t received a secondary. Could it be because my casper score hasn’t gotten to wake yet? My stats are 3.82gpa and 514 MCAT (130/126/129/129). Anyone else not receive secondaries yet?
I haven't received mine yet either and am definitely above the cutoff. They're probably sending out secondaries in batches to reduce stress on their servers. I would just keep an eye on your inbox on Monday, you'll probably get one soon.

I got verified last night at 9:00 PM and got the Wake secondary at 9:01. I have no idea how this works

I was verified on 5/30 and got my secondary well after the first batch went out. It seems it has nothing to do with when you were verified.
Agreed, I was verified 5/30 as well and still haven't received mine.

Hi, what’s the cutoff for this school?

Agreed, I was verified 5/30 as well and still haven't received mine.
I believe they are coming out a few at a time. IS/above cutoff/verified early here, only got mine a tiny bit ago whereas some people got them yday

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received yesterday.

Application verified 6/7, OOS, ORM, LizzyM of 67
CASPer scheduled 7/7

So don't laugh, but is a headshot required? I don't have one.