2019-2020 Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not good at saying what you should and shouldn't include in your essays but I can tell you that the creativity prompt isn't on there this year so you might be able to say what you were going to say there.

Oh good lord. Wow. Well that was a good 2 hours (potentially) wasted just because I assumed there were no changes....thank you for correcting my ignorance

Members don't see this ad.

For the interesting/surprising fact, I have already mentioned my most unique and interesting things in the creativity prompt, as well as one of my Primary’s “Most Meaningful” essays which I wrote about surfing. Thus, for this 50 word prompt, I am considering using that I have been to 13 different countries. Is there any way I can say that without sounding like a douchebag? Should I reference the other stuff I’ve written about previously instead/as well?
They removed the creativity prompt. Ah seems someone beat me to it

Reactions: 1 user
They removed the creativity prompt. Ah seems someone beat me to it

Yup. I am now seeing just how much the secondary has changed from previous years. Feeling fairly devastated about the work I put into the previous years’ prompts...pretty disgusted with myself right now. Thank you regardless though

Members don't see this ad :)
For the interesting/surprising fact, I have already mentioned my most unique and interesting things in the creativity prompt, as well as one of my Primary’s “Most Meaningful” essays which I wrote about surfing. Thus, for this 50 word prompt, I am considering using that I have been to 13 different countries. Is there any way I can say that without sounding like a douchebag? Should I reference the other stuff I’ve written about previously instead/as well?

That does sound a little pinkys up to me. I would just have fun with it.

One of my options was " I sneeze when exposed to bright sun light".

Reactions: 1 users
I read about 25% of people had it. 25% seemed too common, so I didnt put that lol.
I use to ask this question when Wake did "traditional" interviews (6 applicants/day). It was really just an ice breaker and it helped me remember the applicants. Some of the answers where pretty amazing... some... not so much. ACHOO did come up a few times.

Has anyone gotten a complete email? I submitted 7/3 and it says it’s missing documents even though all other schools have them

I accidentally replied no to the "Have you previously applied to any MD programs during a previous admissions cycle?' I'm a reapplicant but didn't apply to wake forest and misread the question. I informed admissions as soon as I saw my mistake. Does anyone think this is a death sentence for me for this school and I should give up hope for this school?

I accidentally replied no to the "Have you previously applied to any MD programs during a previous admissions cycle?' I'm a reapplicant but didn't apply to wake forest and misread the question. I informed admissions as soon as I saw my mistake. Does anyone think this is a death sentence for me for this school and I should give up hope for this school?
What did they say in response when you told them? And no I’m sure it’s not a death sentence. Adcoms realize people make mistakes.

What did they say in response when you told them? And no I’m sure it’s not a death sentence. Adcoms realize people make mistakes.
They haven't responded yet. I went to review my application for some reason and noticed the mistake.

Im sure that was just an honest mistake. And you’ve already informed them about it. Dont think they will hold that against you. You should be ok.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Im sure that was just an honest mistake. And you’ve already informed them about it. Dont think they will hold that against you. You should be ok.
Yeah, I already did 15 minutes ago, hopefully, all is well.

Yeah, I already did 15 minutes ago, hopefully, all is well.
It might be worth calling though even if you already sent an email! I have found that phone calls are the best way to communicate with admissions.

Has anyone gotten a complete email? I submitted 7/3 and it says it’s missing documents even though all other schools have them
I just realized i didnt send casper score to wakeforest for some reason, so might wanna check that to make sure.

Any June 25th CASPer'ers still not verified and complete? Even though the scores have been sent out.

Okay glad I'm not the only one. Just checked the portal checklist and it says CASPer scores can take 7-14 days to process on their site, so that's probably why...hopefully this isn't delaying their review of our apps!

Okay glad I'm not the only one. Just checked the portal checklist and it says CASPer scores can take 7-14 days to process on their site, so that's probably why...hopefully this isn't delaying their review of our apps!
I called and sure enough it was my CASPer too. The woman said they should be done sometime this week.

Little late to the party as I was on the fence about applying, but just sent in my primary today, I was AMCAS verified 6/28/19 (OOS), got my secondary immediately after payment processed. I've taken CASPer but received the secondary before sending in my CASPer score.

For the 'fun fact' prompt - would you guys avoid putting a family relation to someone somewhat famous/important? It's something that I don't really talk about often so it would be surprising to acquaintances, but it's in a gray area because it's not necessarily about myself.

For the 'fun fact' prompt - would you guys avoid putting a family relation to someone somewhat famous/important? It's something that I don't really talk about often so it would be surprising to acquaintances, but it's in a gray area because it's not necessarily about myself.

...Is it Keanu Reeves?

Reactions: 5 users
I should’ve seen that coming. But no, you’d think a relative would spell his last name right. Or at least that’s what I’d say if I wanted to keep my privacy
To actually answer your question though, I dont think you should put that. All you're saying is " I'm not interesting, but my family is". Put something you'd love talking about if asked to elaborate.

Would it be bad if I mention that one reason j would like to attend is the environment (hiking, great location, etc.)? Has anyone else written about this?

Would it be bad if I mention that one reason j would like to attend is the environment (hiking, great location, etc.)? Has anyone else written about this?
I mean obviously have majority educational/academic reasons, but I don't think it would be bad to mention it, especially about hiking or appreciating nature. To me, it provides hints and insight about your personality... but thats only my opinion. I actually mentioned their basketball team...so we'll see if that benefits or hinders me lol

To actually answer your question though, I dont think you should put that. All you're saying is " I'm not interesting, but my family is". Put something you'd love talking about if asked to elaborate.

That's what I was thinking as well. Oh well, guess I have to actually think of something interesting now.

Received this secondary a week ago and felt discouraged by their disclaimer bc I retook my MCAT. I Today I decided yolo and they're probably discouraging people so they have less work.

Received this secondary a week ago and felt discouraged by their disclaimer bc I retook my MCAT. I Today I decided yolo and they're probably discouraging people so they have less work.
What mcat disclaimer ?

Sorry I should've been more specific. hadn't seen a school be so explicit on their secondary about stats and retakers etc etc and I wondered if the 100+ app fee was worth it

I retook my mcat and I’m an M1 here, always shoot your shot fam

Secondary Received!

We seek to train physicians who can connect with diverse patient populations with whom they may not share a similar background. Tell us about an experience that has broadened your own worldview or enhanced your ability to understand those unlike yourself. (200 words)

Describe a non-academic challenge you have faced and explain how you overcame it. (200 words)

From your list of "most meaningful experiences" on the AMCAS application, choose one that has been the most formative in terms of your desire for a career in medicine. Why did that experience have such meaning for you in your decision-making process? How did it prepare you for a career in medicine? (200 words)

Tell us about any specific reason(s) (personal, educational, etc.) why you see yourself here at the Wake Forest School of Medicine. (200 words)

Please tell us an interesting fact about yourself that a casual acquaintance may find surprising or interesting. (50 words)
Does Wake Forest ask a question about why one does not have a committee letter?

I retook my mcat and I’m an M1 here, always shoot your shot fam
What does IA mean in your signature? I see this abbreviation around the site and I am not quite sure what it means haha.

Can't access secondary; currently locked out of every link I tried. I already submitted fortunately but have an important PDF to upload...

First rejection. oof. Got an email saying the decision was reached on secondary. It was a school I added to my list last minute so not too beat up by it.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
First rejection. oof. Got an email saying the decision was reached on secondary. It was a school I added to my list last minute so not to beat up by it.

Pouring one out for you homie

First rejection. oof. Got an email saying the decision was reached on secondary. It was a school I added to my list last minute so not to beat up by it.
decision reached after you submitted secondary? very sorry to hear :( wishing you the best with the rest of the cycle, it's only the beginning!

decision reached after you submitted secondary? very sorry to hear :( wishing you the best with the rest of the cycle, it's only the beginning!
submitted secondary on 7/22 and received rejection today 7/25

First rejection. oof. Got an email saying the decision was reached on secondary. It was a school I added to my list last minute so not too beat up by it.
Sorry just to clarify, they said something about after reading your secondary you were rejected?

Don't worry this process includes lots of rejection but you just need one acceptance!

Sorry just to clarify, they said something about after reading your secondary you were rejected?

Don't worry this process includes lots of rejection but you just need one acceptance!
no. submitted secondary 7/22. then got email today 7/25 saying decision reached.

anyone who got R mind sharing any clues as to why you got R'ed? Stats low, red flag, no research? etc