2019-2020 Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm living next to the school as well and there's a Food Lion 4 mins (10 blocks / 0.9 miles) away from here.
Just Google Maps 475 Vine St. 27101 and search "Grocery Store"
Hey @Skydark hoping to ask some questions for you to answer when you have time
1) how often are exams MS1? Is there any formal grading during LAUNCH or is it just 3 weeks of orientation?
2) what do you wish you knew before starting Med school at Wake?
3) most importantly, do classes order Patagonia jackets?

Some of my questions have been answered and I thought I'd share:
1) how often are exams and are they on Mondays or Fridays or a mix?
Exams are about every 3 weeks, so 2.5 weeks of material. The day of the exam depends on what block you’re in. So for anatomy it was Friday’s, Biochem it was random, and Neuro is Friday’s again. But no matter what you always have off the day before an exam
2) do the classes order Patagonia jackets?
Yes! Every class orders Patagonia’s. I recommend the full zip because then you can wear it on rotations
3) what’s the remediation policy like if you don’t do well on an exam?
The remediation policy is AWESOME. So if you get below a 70 on one or more exams, you just have to get 2 standard deviations below the mean (usually around a 58) on that section of the final. BUT you have to have a 70 overall average. And if you still don’t do that, you retake the final (the exact same questions). But if it isn’t possible to have over a 70 average, then you retake a shortened version of the class over the summer

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone hear back this week?

Apparently this meme is magical on SDN, so I'm going to post it in hopes of Wake Forest accepting me (and all of you) off of the waitlist in the next few months!

1583267561949.png

Reactions: 8 users
1) It very much depends on the block you're in. The curriculum keeps adapting and improving yearly so our schedule will likely be different for yours. As to our class, in our current block, we have an exam every 3~4 weeks or so. At the end of each block, we also have a set of step 1 retired questions as a cumulative for that entire block.
2) The nearest KBBQ restaurant is an hour away from here.
3) Our class did. It's up to a single individual in the class to step up and order the Patagonias for the entire class.

Hey @Skydark hoping to ask some questions for you to answer when you have time
1) how often are exams MS1? Is there any formal grading during LAUNCH or is it just 3 weeks of orientation?
2) what do you wish you knew before starting Med school at Wake?
3) most importantly, do classes order Patagonia jackets?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a good feeling about today, maybe we will see waitlist movement!
Image result for today's the day finding nemo

Just released my acceptance to go with a cheaper option. Best of luck to everyone here, you will make excellent doctors!!

Reactions: 10 users
Waitlist movement starting this early..good or bad thing does anyone know if that means they’ll take more or less people off the waitlist than in the past?

received a wait list LOI reminder this morning

Reactions: 1 user
Got a waitlist LOI reminder this morning even though I already have it uploaded.... anyone else?

Reactions: 1 users
I think they just sent the LOI reminder to everyone on the waitlist. Did anyone else’s heart just about drop out of their chest when they saw an email from WFSOM in their inbox though?

Got a waitlist LOI reminder this morning even though I already have it uploaded.... anyone else?
I think they mass emailed it to make sure everyone got it. I'm hoping this means they will be having more waitlist movement soon. Fingers crossed!

I think they just sent the LOI reminder to everyone on the waitlist. Did anyone else’s heart just about drop out of their chest when they saw an email from WFSOM in their inbox though?

Ive been having waitlist movement inklings all week so that email gave me a heart attack lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude yes, my heart is pounding and my legs are shaking haha. Let's hope next time we get an email from WF it is good news ;)

Also, I think they are sending this email to try to filter out people who don't want to get off the waitlist anymore. Smart move.

Dude yes, my heart is pounding and my legs are shaking haha. Let's hope next time we get an email from WF it is good news ;)

Also, I think they are sending this email to try to filter out people who don't want to get off the waitlist anymore. Smart move.

this got me. Lol will be withdrawing from the WL for others who actually need to spot. Good luck guys!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi Everyone,

For those of you who were at second look this past weekend, we loved having you here and hope you enjoyed yourselves! The admissions office and our student reps did a ton of work to revamp the event and give you a better idea of what it is like to be a medical student at Wake, so I hope you all found it helpful and fun.

If anyone has any questions they would like to ask or get a clarification on, I will check in here throughout the week so please @ me :) If you think they would be helpful for other people please ask them on the forum. Otherwise, you can also message me. Keep in mind I am only a student, and do not have any affiliations with the admissions office (who are VERY VERY nice and helpful people). I have no sway on whether or not you get accepted, and have no additional insight into any communication or instruction you receive from them.

As far as the grocery store situation, there are many grocery stores around Winston Salem, but not IN downtown. If you live downtown you will either need to drive 5-10 minutes to the store, or some of our students actually use grocery delivery services.

Hi Everyone,

For those of you who were at second look this past weekend, we loved having you here and hope you enjoyed yourselves! The admissions office and our student reps did a ton of work to revamp the event and give you a better idea of what it is like to be a medical student at Wake, so I hope you all found it helpful and fun.

If anyone has any questions they would like to ask or get a clarification on, I will check in here throughout the week so please @ me :) If you think they would be helpful for other people please ask them on the forum. Otherwise, you can also message me. Keep in mind I am only a student, and do not have any affiliations with the admissions office (who are VERY VERY nice and helpful people). I have no sway on whether or not you get accepted, and have no additional insight into any communication or instruction you receive from them.

As far as the grocery store situation, there are many grocery stores around Winston Salem, but not IN downtown. If you live downtown you will either need to drive 5-10 minutes to the store, or some of our students actually use grocery delivery services.

Hi! I was unable to attend second look :( but will be attending Wake next fall! I’m incredibly excited, but am having some trouble sorting out housing. I had a couple housing related questions I’ll list down below.
  • How do most people find roommates? I’m a little nervous that since I didn’t attend second look, I won’t be able to find anyone.
  • Would you recommend living in downtown or in another part of Winston-Salem? I’m OOS so I’m not sure what areas are best for M1.
  • Would you recommend living alone? I have always lived with housemates, but I do have a boyfriend (also an M1 nearby, might be visiting every other weekend) and am wondering if a 1bedroom apt might be a better choice. That being said, I really don’t want to socially isolate myself, and I’m not sure if the way most people make friends is through their roommates!
Any advice that you have would be super appreciated!! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! I was unable to attend second look :( but will be attending Wake next fall! I’m incredibly excited, but am having some trouble sorting out housing. I had a couple housing related questions I’ll list down below.
  • How do most people find roommates? I’m a little nervous that since I didn’t attend second look, I won’t be able to find anyone.
  • Would you recommend living in downtown or in another part of Winston-Salem? I’m OOS so I’m not sure what areas are best for M1.
  • Would you recommend living alone? I have always lived with housemates, but I do have a boyfriend (also an M1 nearby, might be visiting every other weekend) and am wondering if a 1bedroom apt might be a better choice. That being said, I really don’t want to socially isolate myself, and I’m not sure if the way most people make friends is through their roommates!
Any advice that you have would be super appreciated!! :)

Here's what I garnered from second look (but I'm sure current students can answer better than I):
  1. Check out the facebook group, there is a link to a google document where you can post what you're looking for in a roommate and see who is looking for a roommate, etc.
  2. Many students live downtown for M1/M2 and then move closer to the hospital for M3/M4 (it's cheaper there anyways) but some live downtown for all 4 years or 5-10 minutes away for all 4 years.
  3. Rent is expensive downtown without a roommate. Most people I talked to either lived with their SO or with a roommate they found. If you're willing to shell out like $1400/month for a 1 bed/1bath near the school, that's an option.

Here's what I garnered from second look (but I'm sure current students can answer better than I):
  1. Check out the facebook group, there is a link to a google document where you can post what you're looking for in a roommate and see who is looking for a roommate, etc.
  2. Many students live downtown for M1/M2 and then move closer to the hospital for M3/M4 (it's cheaper there anyways) but some live downtown for all 4 years or 5-10 minutes away for all 4 years.
  3. Rent is expensive downtown without a roommate. Most people I talked to either lived with their SO or with a roommate they found. If you're willing to shell out like $1400/month for a 1 bed/1bath near the school, that's an option.

Ahh thank you this was really helpful! One more question: were a lot of people finding roommates at second look itself? I'm not sure if I'm late to the game in terms of finding people

Ahh thank you this was really helpful! One more question: were a lot of people finding roommates at second look itself? I'm not sure if I'm late to the game in terms of finding people
I met with one potential roommate there but ended up buying a condo near the hospital so I'll be living there and looking for a roommate lmao. Most people there seemed to be deciding between schools still or waiting for financial aid. You're not late in the game

1. Almost everyone who did not already have a roommate (existing friend or SO) found their roommate through the Super Thorough Roommate Finder (the link on the FB page). I know a couple of people that met at second look (or while interviewing, but not very many.
2. Correct
3. You can get a 1bd/1ba in downtown for less than $1400, but they are not as common. Also you will not be the only person with a significant other that comes to visit, just make sure to include it in the roommate finder and set expectations beforehand. I like having a roommate, because with all the studying we do it is not difficult to become isolated if you also live by yourself. On the other hand, I have friends that love having a place to themselves and just make sure they make time for friends throughout the week :)

Also, DO NOT PANIC. Winston Salem is VERY slow paced when it comes to housing. Many of us came from town or cities where if you didn't get a place to live 8 months out you were screwed. THIS IS NOT THE CASE HERE! Many apartment complexes can't even provide availability until 60 days out. Many incoming students don't know where they are going yet and a good chunk of my classmates are just starting to discuss where they are living next year.

1. Almost everyone who did not already have a roommate (existing friend or SO) found their roommate through the Super Thorough Roommate Finder (the link on the FB page). I know a couple of people that met at second look (or while interviewing, but not very many.
2. Correct
3. You can get a 1bd/1ba in downtown for less than $1400, but they are not as common. Also you will not be the only person with a significant other that comes to visit, just make sure to include it in the roommate finder and set expectations beforehand. I like having a roommate, because with all the studying we do it is not difficult to become isolated if you also live by yourself. On the other hand, I have friends that love having a place to themselves and just make sure they make time for friends throughout the week :)

Also, DO NOT PANIC. Winston Salem is VERY slow paced when it comes to housing. Many of us came from town or cities where if you didn't get a place to live 8 months out you were screwed. THIS IS NOT THE CASE HERE! Many apartment complexes can't even provide availability until 60 days out. Many incoming students don't know where they are going yet and a good chunk of my classmates are just starting to discuss where they are living next year.

I feel 10x better lmao :) I think not being able to attend second look had me feeling out of the loop, but this was so informative

I feel 10x better lmao :) I think not being able to attend second look had me feeling out of the loop, but this was so informative

I'm glad, try not to worry. There are many people in my class that did not attend second look for one reason or the other, I'm sure it's a similar case each year.

For those that were recently accepted off of the waitlist--did admissions call you? or did they just send an email? I'm getting so many spam calls, I don't want to accidentally ignore a call.

For those that were recently accepted off of the waitlist--did admissions call you? or did they just send an email? I'm getting so many spam calls, I don't want to accidentally ignore a call.

I believe you get an email saying there’s been a change in your application portal. But that might be for people who were straight accepted or rejected.

It's been 3 weeks since anyone has posted about an A on here. I hope Wake Forest is gearing up to accept a big batch, considering they just sent that email about LOI's!

Also, is the interview season over here? Hoping to get off the waitlist soon :)

It’s an email, like “final decision has been added to your portal” then you check and there’s a letter on the portal.

Is anyone else irritated about having to pay to submit the CSS profile while on the waitlist bc of the priority deadline?

im sorry to detract, but was there an initial deposit for this school once accepted? i cant seem to find any info and am wondering if i missed something

im sorry to detract, but was there an initial deposit for this school once accepted? i cant seem to find any info and am wondering if i missed something
No deposit to hold your spot as of yet! Not sure if that will change after April 30 but I'm learning as I go

Wondering what's happening over at Wake Forest Admissions right now? I know they accepted a batch of people off the waitlist about a month ago, but seems like silence since then. I keep wondering if they'll accept another batch off WL any coming day now, or if they're waiting until May like they originally planned? Or maybe their office will close due to safety precautions? Ugh, the suspense is killing me, especially since I'm now sitting at home quarantined.

(Also hope everyone is doing their best to stay safe and happy during the coronavirus!)

Wondering what's happening over at Wake Forest Admissions right now? I know they accepted a batch of people off the waitlist about a month ago, but seems like silence since then. I keep wondering if they'll accept another batch off WL any coming day now, or if they're waiting until May like they originally planned? Or maybe their office will close due to safety precautions? Ugh, the suspense is killing me, especially since I'm now sitting at home quarantined.

(Also hope everyone is doing their best to stay safe and happy during the coronavirus!)

Took the words right out of my mouth lol

• Love
Dumb question regarding letters: Is a letter of intent regarded the same as a letter of interest? I gave them the former after waitlist because I genuinely fell in love with the program.

Edit: I double-checked the portal; apparently I put my letter in the wrong spot the first time I uploaded it. Put it in the right spot this time, I sincerely hope I didn't get passed over.

Last edited:
Dumb question regarding letters: Is a letter of intent regarded the same as a letter of interest? I gave them the former after waitlist because I genuinely fell in love with the program.

Edit: I double-checked the portal; apparently I put my letter in the wrong spot the first time I uploaded it. Put it in the right spot this time, I sincerely hope I didn't get passed over.

A letter of intent is just a much stronger form of a letter of interest in that you're saying the school is your #1 choice. So should be okay.

A letter of intent is just a much stronger form of a letter of interest in that you're saying the school is your #1 choice. So should be okay.

That sounds good. So do you think not putting the LOI in the right slot would have gotten me passed up?

Has anyone called, emailed, or heard anything about how covid-19 may be affecting the admissions process/waitlist or school starting in July? Also - somebody I talked to thought maybe more people would be withdrawing or trying to defer because of the virus but I'm not so sure. Thoughts?

Hey everybody. Has anybody been able to find Wake's 2020 match list ? I can't find any information

Considering we haven't heard of any more acceptances in like 6 weeks, I'm kind of assuming the WL peeps who were accepted were maybe a one-off thing... Well, only ~5 weeks until the big May movement, let's hang in there! :happy:

They sent an email to accepted students regarding the following:
1) health requirements must be complete by June 1 (regardless of if they go online or not to start) - Tb screening, physical, immunizations/titers - as this is a NC state law
2) they are making a contingency plan because LAUNCH, the 3 week orientation, that begins on July 6 may be moved online if circumstances dictate
3) if your school moved to pass/fail grading, that's 100% ok. Just pass your classes and graduate in good standing

adding some match day 2020 stuff that they finally uploaded:

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 2.04.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 2.04.43 PM.png

MSAR states that the entering class of 2016 (c/o 2020) had 60 males and 69 females - I'm curious if 15 students take research years/extra time or if they had a higher level of attrition than normal?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
2020 Match Results

Internal Medicine - 17
BIDMC x2
BUMC
Coliseum Health System
Duke
MUSC
Naval Medical Center San Diego
Northwestern
Olive View-UCLA Med Ctr
UChicago
UNC
Utah
UT Southwestern
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest x2
Yale-New Haven

Anesthesiology 16
Alabama
Cleveland Clinic
Duke
Miami x2
Maryland
Mayo
Stanford
UCSD
U Tennessee Grad SOM
UT Southwestern
UVA x3
Wake Forest
Yale-New Haven

Psychiatry 12
GWU
Naval Medical Center San Diego
Pine Rest Christian Mental Hlth Svcs
UCLA
UNC
UT Southwestern
Vandy
Wake Forest x4
WVU

Emergency Medicine 10
Brown
Cincinnati
Duke
EVMS
Maryland
Wake Forest x4
Zucker SOM-Northwell NS/LIJ

Peds 9
Alabama
Cincinnati Childrens Hosp Med Ctr
Childrens Hospital-Boston
Colorado
Duke
Michigan
UPMC
Vandy
Wake Forest

Family Med 7
Christ Hospital
Duke
Michigan
Northwestern McGaw/NMH
U Nevada Las Vegas School of Med
UNC
VCU-Fairfax Family Med Res

General Surgery 6
EVMS
Emory x2
Howard
Penn State
UNC

Obgyn 6
Dartmouth x2
GWU
MUSC
U Tennessee Grad School of Med
Wake Forest

Ophtho 4
UCLA
U Texas/Methodist
VCU
Wake Forest

Surgery-Prelim 4 (no advanced position)
Carolinas
Kentucky
Wake Forest x2

Neurology 3
JHU
Oregon
Wake Forest

Ortho 3
Carolinas Med Ctr
Kentucky
Wake Forest

PM&R 2
Rutgers-New Jersey Medical School
UVA

Rads/Diagnostic 2
Indiana University
Wake Forest

Rad/Onc 2
JHU
Wake Forest

Med/Peds 2
Minnesota
Vandy

Plastics 2
Geisinger
University Hosps-Jackson (Mississippi)

ENT 1
VCU

Medicine - Primary 1
UVA

Medicine-Prelim 1 (no advanced position)
UCI

Transitional - 1
San Antonio Military Medical Center

Transitional Year - Ob/Gyn 1
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Does anyone know what Wake Forest's response to COVID-19 has been for their students? Particularly their M3 and M4 students?

Does anyone know what Wake Forest's response to COVID-19 has been for their students? Particularly their M3 and M4 students?
They followed the AAMC guidelines by suspending student involvement in the clinical care of patients on inpatient and outpatient rotations as of 3/17, so all M2s (who had just started rotations), M3s, and M4s are no longer on rotations. Most of the M4's had completed their requirements for graduation, the remaining folks (7 students I believe) had to finish out a course online to qualify. The M1s are completing their regular course load online.

For anyone that submitted a letter of intent did you upload it on the portal (and if what did you upload it under, updates? letter of interest?) or did you email it to the admissions office?

For anyone that submitted a letter of intent did you upload it on the portal (and if what did you upload it under, updates? letter of interest?) or did you email it to the admissions office?

I uploaded my letter of intent under "letter of interest". I did this because I feel like a letter of intent is just a stronger way of expressing one's interest and commitment to the school.

Last edited:
Accepted off the waitlist! I was WL'ed back on October 15th so I really thought that they forgot about me

• Love
I also just got my acceptance! WL around new years.

• Love