You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Wake Forest
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I got a small scholarship ~6k but it barely makes a dent
I also had basically all loans, but a super super super super small scholarship, so the scholarships I am assuming are there. I think in one of the emails they said as people drop acceptances money will free up and be redistributed. so my fingers are crossed that maybe things work out better? I also know in undergrad I went from having to pay for school entirely to getting all my tuition covered by the school, so maybe something like that might happen again? What confuses me is the average indebtedness is I think around 210,000. So factoring in the group of people that parents can flip the bill, and those with the endowment scholarships I would think that there would be a little more aid? But I might be wrong in my assumptions of the percent of students that fall into these categories.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I bet there a significant number of people getting HPSP that bring the average indebtedness down
sameAlso received info. All loans. RIP
criticalmiss
New Member
All loans for me as well. I reached out to a recruiter for HPSP when I received an acceptance a couple weeks ago.
TryingtobeMD99
New Member
All loans for me. Really hoping HPSP comes through. Also, I went back and tried to find the financial aid slide showing the average of 210k. I'm now wondering if that is just the national average they referenced as opposed to the actual figure for Wake. Doesn't change things, I'm still super excited to be going here but 360k vs 210k is a big difference lol...
IIRC, 200k is national average. 210K is wake's. I think alot of students go for HPSP or other federal scholarship programs here it seems like. Based on responses it doesn't seem like a lot of financial or merit aid goes out (which is surprising). I know at least some get a full ride scholarship for merit.All loans for me. Really hoping HPSP comes through. Also, I went back and tried to find the financial aid slide showing the average of 210k. I'm now wondering if that is just the national average they referenced as opposed to the actual figure for Wake. Doesn't change things, I'm still super excited to be going here but 360k vs 210k is a big difference lol...
MilkshakeDuck
Full Member
All loans?? In this economy??
MDtoBEE2024
New Member
All loans for me too/: Is this changing anybody's mind about going here? I love this school, hate the cost..
D
deleted1008720
I'm still on the waitlist, really really hoping there'll be some waitlist movement in May (or heck, I'll even wait longer if I end up getting off.)
Who else is still on the WL with me?
Who else is still on the WL with me?
All loans for me too/: Is this changing anybody's mind about going here? I love this school, hate the cost..
Same, this is my fav school if all finances were equal. I can’t justify going here over state school.... I’ll be withdrawing. Good luck waitlist squad
I'm still on the waitlist, really really hoping there'll be some waitlist movement in May (or heck, I'll even wait longer if I end up getting off.)
Who else is still on the WL with me?
+1
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm still on the waitlist, really really hoping there'll be some waitlist movement in May (or heck, I'll even wait longer if I end up getting off.)
Who else is still on the WL with me?
+1
As of yesterday I’ve officially been rejected from every single other school (including 4 post interview). This is my last hope. Not ready to jump back into this awful application process again.
There is a ~$12k+ difference in COA for Wake and another school I've been accepted to...Is this significant enough to help me decide which school I should choose?Same, this is my fav school if all finances were equal. I can’t justify going here over state school.... I’ll be withdrawing. Good luck waitlist squad
12k/year (so 48k total) or 12k COA differential? If 12K, no, if 50k, potentially?There is a ~$12k+ difference in COA for Wake and another school I've been accepted to...Is this significant enough to help me decide which school I should choose?
12k doesn't seem like much at first, but that is about 50k total after the four years. I would have to ask myself if going to a school where I would be happier/better fit/etc is worth 50k extra debt (+ interest). Personally, I would probably say it is worth it to have the extra debt and go where I am happier. However, for someone else, that may be 50k they would like to save/have less loans.There is a ~$12k+ difference in COA for Wake and another school I've been accepted to...Is this significant enough to help me decide which school I should choose?
Up to you ultimately.
Per year unfortunately. I redid the math and looks like theres around a $15k difference actually. Why does Wake's tuition have to be so ridiculously expensive🙁12k/year (so 48k total) or 12k COA differential? If 12K, no, if 50k, potentially?
MDtoBEE2024
New Member
Why does Wake's tuition have to be so ridiculously expensive🙁
Id love an answer to this question..
Sent from my iPhone using SDN
There is a ~$12k+ difference in COA for Wake and another school I've been accepted to...Is this significant enough to help me decide which school I should choose?
I’d make a compare and contrast spreadsheet for both schools. If they’re similar in what they offer to you the cheaper option may benefit you in the long run. Is vibe worth 50k? I would also potentially compare the financial difference over a long term scale. Interest rates etc to see how much of a difference it really is. In the end it’s up to you!
Also with at least the first term and maybe even the second potentially being online or partially online I know some of my friends are considering in state or closer to home options. Imminent potential economic recession is also influencing their decision. Not sure if that’s something you have considered too!
Aren't all private schools about the same (~$60k/year tuition)? I would be curious to hear if other private schools in Wake's "category" offer more grants/scholarships than Wake does...specifically GW, Seton Hall, and Drexel.Id love an answer to this question.
Aren't all private schools about the same (~$60k/year tuition)? I would be curious to hear if other private schools in Wake's "category" offer more grants/scholarships than Wake does...specifically GW, Seton Hall, and Drexel.
I believe Drexel is around $10k cheaper than Wake and GW. But for Drexel scholarships are also few and far between.
MSAR shows Drexel @$62,580/yr vs. $60,000/yr for Wake.I believe Drexel is around $10k cheaper than Wake and GW. But for Drexel scholarships are also few and far between.
MSAR shows Drexel @$62,580/yr vs. $60,000/yr for Wake.
I was looking at undergrad yikes my bad
There is a ~$12k+ difference in COA for Wake and another school I've been accepted to...Is this significant enough to help me decide which school I should choose?
Hi Bakerji - This is a tough position to be in, and ultimately you will have to make the decision for yourself. I do have some thoughts, but of course feel free to take them or leave them.
1. Be cognizant of who you are asking for advice from. Everyone has their own goals and priorities, and they may not align with your best interest. Peers can be a great resource and source of support, but make sure you keep context in mind and weigh opinions accordingly.
2. Look further into those COA's, they are not always comparing apples to apples and some charges may not be applicable to you. I know from a Wake perspective, there are areas of the COA that are overestimated depending on your situation. For example:
- COA for lodging + utilities is ~$10k per year, and you can absolutely spend that or more if you want to live close to the school. But plenty of people live in houses around Ardmore (~7 min drive) that can get down to $500/month including utilities.
- The loan fee estimate is also for a large loan amount, and will be less if you receive scholarships or have savings from gap years that will reduce your loan burden
- Insurance is estimated based on the school insurance, many students stay on their parent(s)' insurance until they are 26 for much less
- Transportation includes estimated trips home (or wherever) for breaks, if you are from NC or somewhere you can drive to, you will likely not need this much money
- Finally, I have no idea who spends $1800 on books and equipment, but I've not bought a single book during my time here and I believe my first year equipment was only a few hundred dollars max.
3. Reach out to the Financial Aid office about your dilemma, it is absolutely true that scholarships continue to come in and get reassigned after the packages are sent out. I received one my first year after I had already committed to Wake, months after I received my initial package. But also I would not rely on this to make your decision, because it may never come to fruition.
And of course, always feel free to reach out if you have any questions!
D
deleted820490
Just got accepted off waitlist, interviewed November, LM 68/ WARS 80. Most likely withdrawing.
+1, definitely not withdrawing thoJust got accepted off waitlist, interviewed November, LM 68/ WARS 80. Most likely withdrawing.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What time did you guys get your acceptance emails?
D
deleted820490
30 min agoWhat time did you guys get your acceptance emails?
D
deleted972488
I applied to 31 schools, did 6 interviews, got one post-ii R, 4 post-ii waitlists, and one who is just being slow.
I have been on these waitlists for months contemplating my life plan and my future, but today, I finally got accepted to Wake Forest after they interviewed me on 1/30 then waitlisted me on 2/13. I'm gonna be a doctor!
LizzyM: 71, WARS: 85
I have been on these waitlists for months contemplating my life plan and my future, but today, I finally got accepted to Wake Forest after they interviewed me on 1/30 then waitlisted me on 2/13. I'm gonna be a doctor!
LizzyM: 71, WARS: 85
D
deleted972488
Congratulations!I applied to 31 schools, did 6 interviews, got one post-ii R, 4 post-ii waitlists, and one who is just being slow.
I have been on these waitlists for months contemplating my life plan and my future, but today, I finally got accepted to Wake Forest after they interviewed me on 1/30 then waitlisted me on 2/13. I'm gonna be a doctor!
LizzyM: 71, WARS: 85

Officially withdrew my acceptance here today. Hope my spot goes to one of you deserving folks!
I applied to 31 schools, did 6 interviews, got one post-ii R, 4 post-ii waitlists, and one who is just being slow.
I have been on these waitlists for months contemplating my life plan and my future, but today, I finally got accepted to Wake Forest after they interviewed me on 1/30 then waitlisted me on 2/13. I'm gonna be a doctor!
LizzyM: 71, WARS: 85
Did you also get your acceptance around 2:30pm today? Congrats!!
YepDid you also get your acceptance around 2:30pm today? Congrats!!
D
deleted820490
where is financial aid information listed
They will send you information with a link to log into a portal system. My email was titled important enrollment information for WFSOM class of 2024, I am unsure if you will receive this information unless you click accept in the Wake portal. I don't believe the portal is binding, that's the decision you make in AMCAS on 4/30. You could also email [email protected] and they would have more information!where is financial aid information listed
Was recently accepted off the waitlist and was wondering if there were any current students (or fellow accepted students that know alot) who I could message with some questions I have?
We’re you accepted today or Monday?
Monday around noon!We’re you accepted today or Monday?
Hi, I'm a current student and you can message me. However, if it would be helpful to other prospective students, please consider asking it here 🙂Monday around noon!
For any current students:
They give us a laptop on day 1 but the ownership wording is a bit confusing so I'm just wondering do we get to keep the laptop after graduation? Obviously my guess is that we don't but there's no harm in asking!
They give us a laptop on day 1 but the ownership wording is a bit confusing so I'm just wondering do we get to keep the laptop after graduation? Obviously my guess is that we don't but there's no harm in asking!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@GoofyGubernaculumFor any current students:
They give us a laptop on day 1 but the ownership wording is a bit confusing so I'm just wondering do we get to keep the laptop after graduation? Obviously my guess is that we don't but there's no harm in asking!
@GoofyGubernaculum
We actually get to keep them. IT will remove the monitoring and other software, then give them back to us 🙂
Was recently accepted off the waitlist and was wondering if there were any current students (or fellow accepted students that know alot) who I could message with some questions I have?
Feel free to message me your questions.
For any current students:
They give us a laptop on day 1 but the ownership wording is a bit confusing so I'm just wondering do we get to keep the laptop after graduation? Obviously my guess is that we don't but there's no harm in asking!
Our class and classes before us received an HP Elitebook with the class of 2023's being the 840 G5 Intel Core i5-8350U [email protected] 1.9GHz with 8GB RAM that we get to keep once we graduate. I did overhear that they were considering allowing personal devices in the future but that's to be determined.
They're having us do BYOD this year. They can't get the laptops and distribute them so they'll be reimbursing students $1200 in August for whatever they purchase as long as it meets the minimum standards. Students are free to go with HP or Apple through their preferred vendor or they can go elsewhere!Our class and classes before us received an HP Elitebook with the class of 2023's being the 840 G5 Intel Core i5-8350U [email protected] 1.9GHz with 8GB RAM that we get to keep once we graduate. I did overhear that they were considering allowing personal devices in the future but that's to be determined.

