2019-2020 Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On the waitlist here and feeling a bit discouraged after not getting an email yesterday. Has there historically been more movement in late May/early June?

The medical student who was giving us a campus tour during the interview day told us that he was accepted off the wl 2 weeks before classes started. Also, it seems like WF has a deadline for accepted students to commit to enroll by mid June (21 days before orientation). I'm assuming there will be movement on the waitlist around that time too.
On the interview day they told us that most of the wl movement happens in May.
So, fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
On the waitlist here and feeling a bit discouraged after not getting an email yesterday. Has there historically been more movement in late May/early June?

I know two current students who were accepted off the waitlist last year the first week of June. I stalked last years thread and after the April 30th deadline they had movement on May 1, mid may, and early June. Since only one movement has happened after this deadline, I project potentially two more. Hang in there!!

Reactions: 3 users

just wanted to add to the consolation, but my host said she was accepted a week before classes started! It’s not over until it’s over

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Question for the current med students ( @GoofyGubernaculum @Skydark )... How common are tablets (like iPads and surface books) for taking notes during preclinical years? I had heard some schools recommend iPads during clinical rotations and wasn't sure if it was a good idea to buy a tablet now for notes or to hold out until later on. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Question for the current med students ( @GoofyGubernaculum @Skydark )... How common are tablets (like iPads and surface books) for taking notes during preclinical years? I had heard some schools recommend iPads during clinical rotations and wasn't sure if it was a good idea to buy a tablet now for notes or to hold out until later on. Thanks!

In addition to this, is getting a desktop recommended? I'm keeping my laptop and thinking of getting a desktop and an ipad but I don't want to end up with too many things I don't need/won't end up using.

It really comes down to preference. There are students who take notes on ipads and use them for drawing things out, but you'd be perfectly fine with just a laptop as well.

Edit: Also, you can absolutely come to medical school, try the laptop alone, and buy the ipad later if you decide it would be helpful. I wouldn't say it gives you an advantage to have it from the first day.

In addition to this, is getting a desktop recommended? I'm keeping my laptop and thinking of getting a desktop and an ipad but I don't want to end up with too many things I don't need/won't end up using.

I would not recommend a desktop, I think that would just give you one more thing to sync. If you like a nice home setup, I would recommend a second monitor to use alongside your laptop. I know a lot of my classmates have enjoyed the extra screen space while taking virtual classes. WebEx up on one screen, notes (or you know, whatever you want) on the other.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! Just got off the waitlist at Wake Forest (congrats to everyone who got accepted, those who are waiting, hang in there!) and was wondering if someone could please kindly post the link to the class of 2024 Facebook group, if that's allowed? I just want to get started on housing search and such, thanks in advance!

EDIT: Sorry, to avoid confusion, I got off the waitlist Sunday, May 12, 2020.

Last edited:
Hi! Just got off the waitlist at Wake Forest (congrats to everyone who got accepted, those who are waiting, hang in there!) and was wondering if someone could please kindly post the link to the class of 2024 Facebook group, if that's allowed? I just want to get started on housing search and such, thanks in advance!
Congrats! I got an email about it 2 days after I was accepted but it's just Wake Forest School of Medicine Class of 2024

EDIT: Sorry, to avoid confusion, I got off the waitlist Sunday, May 12, 2020.

Congrats and welcome!!

Reactions: 1 user
Any waitlisted peeps that submitted an update - did you upload it under "application updates" or re-upload an updated letter of interest?

Members don't see this ad :)

Many students use iPad + iPencils for note-taking in combination with Microsoft OneNote and I've seen some classmates use a Surface Pro or a Pixel Slate. The benefit of using a tablet + pen is that you can sync notes with the school computers which apparently you will not be provided in addition to not having to print 180 slides for every lecture day. I personally modified my studying methods and stopped taking notes altogether since I joined the Anki train. I now find the laptop to be as effective as writing it on a pen because I found myself not going back to my notes for studying as much. Regarding using them for clinical rotations, using iPads without approval by Information Technologies (IT) for clinical rotations is technically a HIPAA risk so they are not supposed to be used to jot down patient information. With that said, I have not seen any proctors or instructors comment or say anything about any of my classmates using them for clinical skills.

I do agree with Gubernaculum in that a second monitor is great for watching lectures on one and having your slides+notes/anki on a second screen for when you're forced to watch recorded lectures due to a pandemic.

TLDR: IMHO; do you need one? No; will you want one? Yes.

Last edited:

I had a gaming desktop before coming to medical school and I know a few classmates that do too. IF you already have one then you'll likely use it for school since it often includes multiple giant monitors but if you don't have one, the laptop is just fine for your daily grind and you might just want to invest in a laptop docking station to have multiple screens and a workstation set-up at home.

As an example, at this moment I have my tablet sitting on my couch for reading web-novels, the desktop is being used for games and entertainment, and my laptop is being used for school-related emails and studying purposes.

Am I understanding correctly that MD students can apply to be MD/PhD students after matriculation??

I gave up on that dream a while ago but now I’m wondering if there’s a chance....

Am I understanding correctly that MD students can apply to be MD/PhD students after matriculation??

I gave up on that dream a while ago but now I’m wondering if there’s a chance....
It did seem that way based on rob's fb post, but not sure

Yes but I believe they only give you a stipend during your PhD years and there is no retroactive scholarship to cover M1 (and potentially no scholarship for M2-4). I would only do a fully funded MD/PhD program personally so I'd check on the details

Withdrew my A yesterday, fingers crossed it goes to one of you guys.

I was waitlisted in October and uploaded a letter of intent a few days after receiving my WL email. I'm still hopeful!

Accepted this morning!!! Can't even believe its real. This was my only interview. Interviewed Dec 2, Waitlisted Dec 13, LOI in Jan, sent update letter last week. #livethemiracle

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Accepted this morning!!! Can't even believe its real. This was my only interview. Interviewed Dec 2, Waitlisted Dec 13, LOI in Jan, sent update letter last week. #livethemiracle

Welcome!! Our class is cool af

Reactions: 5 users
Side note: does anyone know which board resources are included in tuition?

Side note: does anyone know which board resources are included in tuition?
sketchy, pathoma, uworld, first aid. You have to get Boards and Beyond on your own if you want it and then there should be other stuff on a google drive... haha

sketchy, pathoma, uworld, first aid. You have to get Boards and Beyond on your own if you want it and then there should be other stuff on a google drive... haha

And USMLE Rx, unless that is changing for y’all’s class

There are also organizations that offer a Boards and Beyond subscription with membership at a better rate, so just keep your eyes open for emails when you get here.

Can anyone who has taken out student loans help me understand the process of disbursement at Wake - the banks they use, how many times money bother that tuition/books is disbursed etc. I have a couple of questions so please let me know if I can PM any upperclassmen on this thread!

Can anyone who has taken out student loans help me understand the process of disbursement at Wake - the banks they use, how many times money bother that tuition/books is disbursed etc. I have a couple of questions so please let me know if I can PM any upperclassmen on this thread!

Once you are accepted, all faculty at WFSOM is extremely supportive of your needs. The financial aid office will help you withdraw beyond your limits in case of emergencies. With that said, we get disbursed twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall and you can return whatever you do not use for no interest within the first 120 days of disbursement. You can opt to have your disbursements directly added to your bank of choice or get a paper check. As to which bank they use, I do not know but as far as I know, the loan company will differ per student. (Who’s My Student Loan Servicer?)

If you have any specific questions, call (336) 716-4264 , send an email to [email protected] or simply wait until orientation when they discuss all these details in more depth.

Once you are accepted, all faculty at WFSOM is extremely supportive of your needs. The financial aid office will help you withdraw beyond your limits in case of emergencies. With that said, we get disbursed twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall and you can return whatever you do not use for no interest within the first 120 days of disbursement. You can opt to have your disbursements directly added to your bank of choice or get a paper check. As to which bank they use, I do not know but as far as I know, the loan company will differ per student. (Who’s My Student Loan Servicer?)

If you have any specific questions, call (336) 716-4264 , send an email to [email protected] or simply wait until orientation when they discuss all these details in more depth.

hi, when you said that the finaid office would help us withdraw beyond our needs, are they more willing to help us secure more aid after accepting our initial award letter? I ask this because I tried to increase my cost of attendance and explained my reasoning, but they were pretty adamant on not increasing my finaid. I wonder if I wasn’t convincing enough

hi, when you said that the finaid office would help us withdraw beyond our needs, are they more willing to help us secure more aid after accepting our initial award letter? I ask this because I tried to increase my cost of attendance and explained my reasoning, but they were pretty adamant on not increasing my finaid. I wonder if I wasn’t convincing enough

Additional Allowable Costs
With appropriate receipts, the following expenses may allow for an increase in cost of attendance:

• Childcare expenses
  • Automobile repairs that are not considered routine maintenance
  • Health care expenses not covered by medical insurance that are deemed to be extraordinary and unanticipated
  • Residency interview or relocation funding (fourth year medical students only)
How is Cost of Attendance determined?
Cost of Attendance is the total amount of aid, including scholarships, grants and loans, that you are eligible to receive for the entire year. The Cost of Attendance is derived based on living expenses in the Winston-Salem area and information from student surveys. The amount provided each year allows a Wake Forest School of Medicine student to live comfortably alone, not luxuriously. Cutting costs in any way, including getting a roommate, budgeting money for food and other expenses, and living as frugally as possible are recommended.

It is not required that you accept the full Cost of Attendance each year. The amount you accept is flexible. You are allowed to return funds if you accept too much or request more if you run short as long as you stay within the Cost of Attendance.

Financial Aid and Scholarships
We understand that medical school can be expensive and we are proud to offer a variety of MD Program specific scholarships and traditional financial aid to make your experience affordable and enjoyable. Additionally, students are encouraged to apply for forgivable service loans.

From MD Program Costs and Financial Aid

Has anyone heard of more waitlist movement? Hoping for some good news soon!

Has anyone heard of more waitlist movement? Hoping for some good news soon!
Nothing yet, they sent out some acceptances last week, and it seems like there has been movement every 2 weeks or so, so maybe next week!

Thanks for the info!! Looking forward to next week then :)
There are currently 185 people in the Fb group. I personally know at least one other person who is going there that just doesn't have FB. There are around 20 rising MS2s in the group and then some others that have committed to other schools but haven't left the group. 8 people joined in the past week and 3 weeks ago, 18 people joined. It does seem like they go every other week based on that (but 2 people did join 2 weeks ago so ymmv)

There are currently 185 people in the Fb group. I personally know at least one other person who is going there that just doesn't have FB. There are around 20 rising MS2s in the group and then some others that have committed to other schools but haven't left the group. 8 people joined in the past week and 3 weeks ago, 18 people joined. It does seem like they go every other week based on that (but 2 people did join 2 weeks ago so ymmv)
This was so helpful! Thank youuuu ❤️

Thanks for the info!! Looking forward to next week then :)
When I talked to Wake a few days ago, they had accepted 7 people last week. She said a couple of years ago she accepted a student two days before school started... so you never know what will happen until school starts!

Withdrew my acceptance today. I Love Wake Forest too. What awesome students, faculty, and support. GL.

Last edited:
Officially committed to enroll!! Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

What time Monday is the CTE deadline, midnight monday? Midnight sunday?

So this past cycle I ended up not submitting a secondary, but I did not formally withdraw my application. Would this be a strike against me if I were to reapply?