2020-2021 Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On the other hand, here is a remark that my advisor at Duke (who is on the Duke admissions committee) said: "There is no need, at this time, to write to the schools. First, most still have half of their interview slots available and are working to get through the applications. Second, letters of intent are just not helpful. Your intent is assumed by your application. If, on the other hand, you have an update to your file: scholarship, promotion at work, publication/abstract, etc., it is appropriate to get in touch with those respective schools. Otherwise, I would not recommend."
My pre-health advisor sent an email to her students recently with similar advice to the ending of what yours said: "Applicants may choose to send update letters to schools as long as they are substantial and offer a new perspective on you as an applicant. Schools where you have already interviewed, or are scheduled to interview, have already shown a strong interest in you. Therefore, an update letter would not be recommended."

She also told me a few months back that it's best to send only one update letter in the cycle (per school that takes them) and it's good for them to arrive/be sent actually after New Year's so it's relatively "top of the pile" when they come back from break ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
My pre-health advisor sent an email to her students recently with similar advice to the ending of what yours said: "Applicants may choose to send update letters to schools as long as they are substantial and offer a new perspective on you as an applicant. Schools where you have already interviewed, or are scheduled to interview, have already shown a strong interest in you. Therefore, an update letter would not be recommended."

She also told me a few months back that it's best to send only one update letter in the cycle (per school that takes them) and it's good for them to arrive/be sent actually after New Year's so it's relatively "top of the pile" when they come back from break ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think the key point is that substantial update is only beneficial because it adds a new/upgraded perspective, while a LOI just repeats the applicants’ interest! So as long as the LOI has a significant update, it should be fine. I think the other person meant just a regular LOI to show interest

Reactions: 1 user
First, most still have half of their interview slots available and are working to get through the applications.
Woah, did your advisor say that about this cycle? I thought by this time normally most of the II's were sent out? COVID must really be hitting all schools hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the other hand, here is a remark that my advisor at Duke (who is on the Duke admissions committee) said: "There is no need, at this time, to write to the schools. First, most still have half of their interview slots available and are working to get through the applications. Second, letters of intent are just not helpful. Your intent is assumed by your application. If, on the other hand, you have an update to your file: scholarship, promotion at work, publication/abstract, etc., it is appropriate to get in touch with those respective schools. Otherwise, I would not recommend."
im a noobie but this was always my first take on it. Pre-II LOI just seems incredibly lame and kind of desperate to me lol

• Haha
Woah, did your advisor say that about this cycle? I thought by this time normally most of the II's were sent out? COVID must really be hitting all schools hard.
My friend has an MD mentor who has served on committees in the past and has said similar things about this cycle. I've also heard other applicants in other threads speculate that some schools are 1-2 months behind. Idk how true those statements are but regardless Wake sent IIs through the end of January last year so I doubt they'll be done any time soon this cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. ADCOM's are uniquely stressed in a normal cycle. Add on top of that a pandemic. It makes sense that most schools would be behind schedule.

Agreed! I ended up sending a letter because I had an update to my file. And like your advisor said, I had similar feedback from people I asked before sending one. The intent/interest is already assumed by the application itself and the fact that you decided to send in an update letter. You, and other posters, are right in saying that a LOI at this point wouldn't necessarily be useful. I guess I mistook OP's original question as referring to a mix of update/intent letter as opposed to a letter of intent alone.

For current students and those accepted: Does anyone know when we can expect to hear back about scholarship decisions and financial aid awards? I know the award letter is sent out in April, but do they let us know decisions on scholarship amounts before then?

For current students and those accepted: Does anyone know when we can expect to hear back about scholarship decisions and financial aid awards? I know the award letter is sent out in April, but do they let us know decisions on scholarship amounts before then?
As far as I know, no. Everyone I know that got a scholarship or aid heard back in April

Anybody with an info session date of 12/17 know when we can expect to hear back? Have any of you already heard back? It seemed like they had about a 2 week turnaround before but, I suspected the holidays would interfere with that for us. Please let me know!

"Interview" today, went great. My group was told we will hear back at the end of Jan (wow). This school is a dream, and everything they mention in the Rise course appears to be true. Great community.

Reactions: 3 users
Wouldn't be surprised if you heard back earlier than that, Wake Admissions really has been on top of their game getting back to people in reasonable time

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone else receive a joint degree interest form after their interview??? I feel like this is a promising sign... "Interviewed" Dec. 17th
I got the e-mail. Interviewed 12/15 and was told we'd get our decision mid January because of the holidays.

Members don't see this ad :)
R be hitting different while I’m at home with COVID.🙃

• Care
I was waitlisted 12/18... too sad to post it until now.
but not losing hope! submitting a letter of intent today bc this is my top choice

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Was this R wave smaller than the last or are less people brave enough to post about it?

Does anyone know how far they are in reviewing apps and how many more potential IIs there are to give out?

Does anyone know how far they are in reviewing apps and how many more potential IIs there are to give out?
I think somebody mentioned earlier that half the interview dates are still open! But fact check me on that please

Alternatively, it's possible that applicants hit by this last R wave just don't use SDN
Very curious about this as well, if we haven't gotten an R yet is there a good chance of getting a II yet then 😂

• Haha
Very curious about this as well, if we haven't gotten an R yet is there a good chance of getting a II yet then 😂
Here's hoping! Good luck to all who are still standing!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Have any accepted students received an award package or scholarships yet?

I was waitlisted 12/18... too sad to post it until now.
but not losing hope! submitting a letter of intent today bc this is my top choice
Keep your head up, in the past we’ve accepted A LOT of people off of the waitlist. It’s not a dead end place like some schools. There have even been people accepted within a couple of weeks of class starting!

Anybody who got a II recently knows what the remaining interview dates look like?

Just got my acceptance letter today!!!!!! :) It's my first and I can't believe I'm really gonna be a doctor!!!!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 23 users
I'm sorry if this was already asked because I couldn't find anything throughout the thread. For those who submitted updates, did you send an email to confirm it was received or did you receive an email when it uploaded? I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything. It does say "file upload successful".

I'm sorry if this was already asked because I couldn't find anything throughout the thread. For those who submitted updates, did you send an email to confirm it was received or did you receive an email when it uploaded? I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything. It does say "file upload successful".
I never got a confirmation email and never sent one. I just assumed "file upload successful" was the confirmation, but can't hurt to email and check!

I never got a confirmation email and never sent one. I just assumed "file upload successful" was the confirmation, but can't hurt to email and check!
Ditto, I never got a confirmation email. It does say on an email that goes out after the secondary is submitted that says that you can check if an upload was successfully completed by logging back into the portal and making sure it shows up after you hit "checklist"

For those of us still waiting (and either/both overtly and covertly freaking out about not having an II yet) - I just checked the admission's process page and it seems like Wake extended the interview season to March (they say that IIs are sent on a rolling basis between August and March). I'm pretty sure one of the automatic emails I got once I submitted said mid-Feb, but maybe it's just wishful thinking that there's still time to hear some good news.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
For those of us still waiting (and either/both overtly and covertly freaking out about not having an II yet) - I just checked the admission's process page and it seems like Wake extended the interview season to March (they say that IIs are sent on a rolling basis between August and March). I'm pretty sure one of the automatic emails I got once I submitted said mid-Feb, but maybe it's just wishful thinking that there's still time to hear some good news.
I saw II's being sent out in late January/early February last year so that makes sense because lots of schools are behind schedule this year

I wonder why we haven't seen any IIs yet this year, think they're working on catching up a little first?

I wonder why we haven't seen any IIs yet this year, think they're working on catching up a little first?
Lol I hope so, they've sent out a couple waves of rejections with no II's posted on here at least

II received last week. Scheduling for early Feb. Complete in July.

Reactions: 8 users
My little spreadsheet says that Wake is interviewing through March, so if they're offering interview dates about a month out am I correct in thinking that they'll continue to send IIs through the end of February?
i think it depends on how far they have scheduled :oops:, if they are still on second week of feb for interviews, then I hope that they continue to send out invites til feb like you said

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone hear an update from Wake since the new year??
No, but I emailed them this week and they said they are interviewing into March, so I'd say there are still rejections/ II's to go out till February at least

Last edited:
If we were complete in early Sep, is there still hope?

Asking for a friend.