2020-2021 Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pre-II R yesterday. Complete July, IS, LM 73. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted last night! Info session was last Wednesday

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does Wake match well into residency programs? I am on the fence about attending

I think one think I am learning as I am starting the M4 grind is that it is the person not the program that makes the match. The program you attended can only get you so far if you aren't doing your best to get yourself there.

For any incoming M1s wondering, Wake matched 100% (including SOAP) of its students again and the list has been outstanding so far

Not official by any means, but Wake Forest’s CEO announced some of our numbers over Webex:

4 Orthopedic Surgery
4 Plastic Surgery (NYU, Mt Sinai, Rochester, VCU)
4 Dermatology (2 at Wake)
1 CT Surgery (UW)
3 Neurosurgery (Carolinas Med Ctr/Atrium Health)
1 Vascular Surgery
9 General Surgery (1 at Jefferson)
2 Surgery-Preliminary
1 ENT (Wake)
2 Interventional Radiology
2 Radiation Oncology
5 Diagnostic Radiology
18 anesthesiology (1 NYU for sure)
6 neurology
2 child neurology
15 Emergency Med (1 Cincy)
14 Family Med (1 UPenn)
24 Internal Med
1 IM/Peds
2 pathology
12 pediatrics (1 Boston Children’s)
8 psychiatry
1 PM&R (UPMC)
2 OB/GYN

There may have been some Ophtho/Uro, but that is a separate match that I haven’t seen numbers for yet.

I’m sure they’ll release a more official list later.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What is the average debt for students at wake forest? Can someone who has MSAR or a current student verify this.

What is the average debt for students at wake forest? Can someone who has MSAR or a current student verify this.
MSAR: $202,953, but remember that this number also includes people who don’t take out any loans, and therefore have zero debt.

MSAR: $202,953, but remember that this number also includes people who don’t take out any loans, and therefore have zero debt.
Oh my God. That is a scary number. The fact that no-debt students are also included makes this number very high for a degree cost. When do they send scholarship info?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my God. That is a scary number. The fact that no-debt students are also included makes this number very high for a degree cost. When do they send scholarship info?
keep in mind, "73% of students graduate with debt. And while that percentage has decreased in the last few years, those who do borrow for medical school face big loans: the median debt was $200,000 in 2019. The average four-year cost for public school students is $250,222. For private school students, the cost is $330,180."

the cost of Wake was the same as the other 3 schools I got into (barring the MD/PhD acceptance but that would've cost me in the long run with loss of attending salary) - they should release most scholarship stuff in April I believe when they announce all finaid.

More importantly, Wake students do really well in residency. I went to wake, and am in residency at a place where there are probably 10-15 residents across the board from wake, and attendings and other residents have all commented how prepared the wake students are.

Does anyone know if "second look" is business attire?

Hi everyone! Current M1 here! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and crossing my fingers to those still on the waitlist. Wake has a pretty dynamic waitlists so keep your hope up! I'm glad I got a chance to speak to some of you at the second look events we have had so far. Feel free to ask any questions and my DMs are open as well!!

Wake Forest plans to add a second campus in Charlotte, NC Wake Forest School of Medicine to build 2nd campus
They're currently planning to take their first cohort for the Charlotte Campus in 2024 (Class of 2028). For now, the Class of 2023, 2024, 2025, and likely 2026 can do their clinical rotations in Charlotte or Winston-Salem. The Class of 2024 will be sending a cohort of 36 students there for the year but anyone can do rotations there during M4

They're currently planning to take their first cohort for the Charlotte Campus in 2024 (Class of 2028). For now, the Class of 2023, 2024, 2025, and likely 2026 can do their clinical rotations in Charlotte or Winston-Salem. The Class of 2024 will be sending a cohort of 36 students there for the year but anyone can do rotations there during M4
Thanks for the extra details. This article just said they were breaking ground on the project so I assumed it would be a while before they were ready, it’s great to hear the more definite plans for how they will bring in the second location.

The class of 2023 (M3 right now) is currently able to do rotations in Charlotte. Can’t do all of them there though, have to do at least one in Winston

Anyone know how many people are on the waitlist/when they typically start taking people off of it?

I meet the minimum requirements for a secondary and still anxiously waiting
Can I ask how you turned around so many secondaries? and in what average time frame? Did you rewrite anything? I'm stressing about the 2021-2022 cycle already.

Has anyone received their financial aid packages/knows when we are supposed to receive those by?

I thought this was discussed before, but I can't find it now. Since the school is P/F, how does Wake measure academic achievement for students when they apply for residencies and other positions? Is passing "with honors" a common distinction, or something exceptional?

I thought this was discussed before, but I can't find it now. Since the school is P/F, how does Wake measure academic achievement for students when they apply for residencies and other positions? Is passing "with honors" a common distinction, or something exceptional?
At second look they said they do not rank their students pre-clinically.

Only third and fourth year grades are on a fail, pass, high pass, and honors system, but you are not being measured against your classmates. If you meet the specific thresholds for honors, then you earn honors regardless of how your peers do.

Who else is waiting impatiently for these FinAid Awards to roll out today?!!

Reactions: 5 users
Who else is waiting impatiently for these FinAid Awards to roll out today?!!
It would be nice for schools that have not released the financial aid packages , to do so today! Give us time to think things over in the next 2 weeks🙂

Finally got the FA award. Will be withdrawing my acceptance, best of luck to you all! :)

Finally got the FA award. Will be withdrawing my acceptance, best of luck to you all! :)
I know right!!!! I flubbed up on the scholarship app and therefore could not get any need-based scholarships. So if I don't get this HPSP I'd have to go entirely on loans for the first year and I don't know if I can stomach that! As much as I've been falling in love with the school and the class! :cryi::cryi::cryi::cryi:

Me and my friend got all loans. We wre going to state school which is half the price of wake forest. We can't justify attending this expensive school.

• Care
Guess that med school in Charlotte is sucking up all their money 😭

My only A so I guess its loans galore for me

• Care
Guess that med school in Charlotte is sucking up all their money 😭

My only A so I guess its loans galore for me
Yes, makes sense. Sorry you are in such position, but I am sure you will figure something out.

One of my friends on the WL got that email. Not sure if everyone got it or not. How are the WL ranked anyways?
The WL is unranked. I am really not sure how they decide who to pull off the WL. Maybe they draw straws
Awkward Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Haha