2019-2020 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary prompts:
-If you could tell the admissions committee one thing unique about yourself that isn’t medically related, what would it be? (1000 Characters)

-Explain an activity that you have been involved in with for at least 6-12 months. What was it about that activity that kept you motivated to continue? What did you learn from that activity? (1000 Characters)

-Give an example of a project to which you gave sustained effort. How were you involved in the leadership of this project? (1000 Characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Wayne State University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary received 7/3

-If you could tell the admissions committee one thing unique about yourself that isn’t medically related, what would it be? (1000 Characters)

-Explain an activity that you have been involved in with for at least 6-12 months. What was it about that activity that kept you motivated to continue? What did you learn from that activity? (1000 Characters)

-Give an example of a project to which you gave sustained effort. How were you involved in the leadership of this project? (1000 Characters)

@PapaGuava

Good luck to everyone applying!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Just looked at last year's thread, looks like the secondary changed.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just looked at last year's thread, looks like the secondary changed.

Yeah they cut two essays and added the 6 to 12 month one, which doesn't seem to be all that different from the sustained effort one...

Also the unique one, which could be interesting.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah they cut two essays and added the 6 to 12 month one, which doesn't seem to be all that different from the sustained effort one...

Also the unique one, which could be interesting.

Yeah, I wish they would have combined prompts 2 and 3.

haven't received secondary yet--OOS, got verified mid-June

Would a hobby be appropriate for prompt 1?

haven't received secondary yet--OOS, got verified mid-June
I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't received one either. OOS, as well. Felt as if there was a dip in rate of secondary reception with the Thursday-Fridayish 4th of July weekend.

Explain an activity that you have been involved in with for at least 6-12 months. What was it about that activity that kept you motivated to continue? What did you learn from that activity? (1000 Characters)

Is it appropriate to talk about raising a puppy? I got a puppy 8 months ago and it was my first ever pet. He has pretty much consumed my life in the last year.

PS. I haven't received a secondary yet and I have in state!

• Love
Explain an activity that you have been involved in with for at least 6-12 months. What was it about that activity that kept you motivated to continue? What did you learn from that activity? (1000 Characters)

Is it appropriate to talk about raising a puppy? I got a puppy 8 months ago and it was my first ever pet. He has pretty much consumed my life in the last year.

PS. I haven't received a secondary yet and I have in state!
I think talking about raising a puppy is real, fun, and creative!

Secondary received!

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received, OOS

How are people interpreting those last two questions? I feel like they're almost the same... Is the difference supposed to be in the words activity and project? Are we supposed to focus more on leadership in the second one?

How are people interpreting those last two questions? I feel like they're almost the same... Is the difference supposed to be in the words activity and project? Are we supposed to focus more on leadership in the second one?

I think the more important distinction is #2 is about why you did something for a long time, #3 is leadership. Just use 2 different experiences.

So I don't know how to answer these secondaries without repeating my secondary. The 6-12 month project would literally be about my Eagle project, but I already had that as a most meaningful activity. What do, frens?

For the first question, are you guys treating this as a diversity question? It's worded differently so I wanted to be sure

Anyone else paid for their secondary and the receipt has another person's name under "customer name"? For me, it shows the customer name as "abdallah, hanadi"...

For the first question, are you guys treating this as a diversity question? It's worded differently so I wanted to be sure

I really didn't get the impression that its a diversity question. I talk about my background enough in my personal statement though. I'm speaking about my "right- brained" gifts. I've been a paid singer, dancer and chef for a few years and I think thats pretty unique.

Any ideas how to approach the 'unique' prompt? I don't think this is a diversity question, but I have no idea how to go about it... was thinking of talking about my unique family but I can't tell if they want like, a fun hobby?

Any ideas how to approach the 'unique' prompt? I don't think this is a diversity question, but I have no idea how to go about it... was thinking of talking about my unique family but I can't tell if they want like, a fun hobby?

I treated this as a diversity question but had to take out the medically related stuff that I normally included in my diversity essay. I talked about music.

I wrote about living in a bunch of different countries, didn't relate it back to medicine at all!

Reactions: 2 users
Still haven't gotten a secondary yet, should I be concerned??

Verified: June 10th

So I don't know how to answer these secondaries without repeating my secondary. The 6-12 month project would literally be about my Eagle project, but I already had that as a most meaningful activity. What do, frens?

Yeah I'm right there with you not only for this prompt but also for the leadership one. Two of my most meaningful experiences on the AMCAS would answer these two prompts perfectly. Anyone else care to weigh in on whether it would be best to just repeat or should I try to think of something else?

Yeah I'm right there with you not only for this prompt but also for the leadership one. Two of my most meaningful experiences on the AMCAS would answer these two prompts perfectly. Anyone else care to weigh in on whether it would be best to just repeat or should I try to think of something else?

Think of something else

Anyone else's photo look somewhat blurry when uploaded?

What if I talk about an activity in my primary that was not a most meaningful one? Would that still be considered repeating?

What if I talk about an activity in my primary that was not a most meaningful one? Would that still be considered repeating?

Do you mean using the exact same encounter within an experience or just the same activity? You can absolutely use an experience from the same activity as your most meaningful experience, but you should use a different encounter (like a new patient). Does that make sense?

Do you mean using the exact same encounter within an experience or just the same activity? You can absolutely use an experience from the same activity as your most meaningful experience, but you should use a different encounter (like a new patient). Does that make sense?
It does! I wanted to talk about a project I did myself, but I realized that I mentioned it already in my personal statement and primary, so instead, I talked about a new perspective to an experience I listed. Thank you!

It does! I wanted to talk about a project I did myself, but I realized that I mentioned it already in my personal statement and primary, so instead, I talked about a new perspective to an experience I listed. Thank you!
There is definitely going to be some overlap! Like the most meaningful on AMCAS will probably show up in secondaries, and I assume (not an expert here lol) that if you use the same experience, but write about it in a different angle it'll be more than acceptable.

hey guys! I just submitted my secondary but when I checked the academic prereq requirements, I got a little worried about "two semesters organic chemistry with lab for each"

I went to a school with a quarter system and our organic chemistry series was 3 quarters, but only the second and third class had lab. Should I be worried about not having a third quarter of lab?

hey guys! I just submitted my secondary but when I checked the academic prereq requirements, I got a little worried about "two semesters organic chemistry with lab for each"

I went to a school with a quarter system and our organic chemistry series was 3 quarters, but only the second and third class had lab. Should I be worried about not having a third quarter of lab?
I just spoke to admissions about something else and they were very nice, may be worth just giving them a quick call to ask

I just spoke to admissions about something else and they were very nice, may be worth just giving them a quick call to ask
Thanks! I just did and was told to consult with my undergrad pre-professions advising and they should be able to tell me what I need to take
I did--and was told my classes satisfy this requirement

Thank you!

Do you all interpret the "activity that you have been involved in with for at least 6-12 months" question as an activity you are still currently involved with, or as any activity you were involved with for 6-12 months?

Do you all interpret the "activity that you have been involved in with for at least 6-12 months" question as an activity you are still currently involved with, or as any activity you were involved with for 6-12 months?

I interpreted it as any activity, and I sure hope that’s what they meant!

Hey guys... I'm taking a september 6th or 13th mcat and am hoping to get 508+..otherwise have good stats(3.8 post bacc with their replacement policy, tons of clinical)....how screwed would I be if i was complete mid october at wayne? This is my top choice for md, and am applying otherwise mostly DO. Any success stories you guys know of people applying like that late in the game? how do the non-rolling admissions work? I wish i took it earlier, but things didn't work out and I am banking on this cycle..not the next one. thanks!

Hey guys... I'm taking a september 6th or 13th mcat and am hoping to get 508+..otherwise have good stats(3.8 post bacc with their replacement policy, tons of clinical)....how screwed would I be if i was complete mid october at wayne? This is my top choice for md, and am applying otherwise mostly DO. Any success stories you guys know of people applying like that late in the game? how do the non-rolling admissions work? I wish i took it earlier, but things didn't work out and I am banking on this cycle..not the next one. thanks!
I'm deff not an expert but from what I've seen on SDN not being complete until October is quite late for any MD.

Hey friends! For the unique thing about yourself, how did you structure your response and what did you address? I am wondering if my choice is a little too specific! Just on the fence because I gave it its own space in the activities and personal statement section of the AMCAS and don't want it to be overkill~

Last edited:
Hey friends! For the unique thing about yourself, how did you structure your response and what did you address? I am wondering if my choice is a little too specific! Just on the fence because I gave it its own space in the activities and personal statement section of the AMCAS and don't want it to be overkill~
I think it is meant to be purposefully vague. I would address anything you think would be interesting.