2019-2020 Wayne State

Started by PapaGuava
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
69 LM and 510 MCAT. I have a 4.0 in my post bacc. Do you think I have a chance considering they have sent out a lot of interviews already?
As someone has mentioned earlier, they intend to interview between 1200-1400 students. There has been roughly 750 interviews requested, so there are plenty to go around. Whether you are competitive or not, that I am not sure. You have the stats but as an international student, your chance is always lower than a domestic with the same stats. But this admissions process is more than stats so you have good of a shot as anyone.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What does accepting your position mean? Just like mentally?
My WL is at a different school, but basically I was notified that I was being offered a spot on the WL and then asked if I wanted to accept my spot on it. So basically do I like the school enough to stay on the waitlist, or would I rather just withdraw.
 
got an II. how much of a difference would it make to interview one week earlier? have to choose b/w 2 dates and the later one is more convenient.

edit: complete mid August
 
Last edited:
got an II. how much of a difference would it make to interview one week earlier? have to choose b/w 2 dates and the later one is more convenient.
I honestly have no insight on this, but I can't imagine it will make that much of a difference. Pretty sure adcoms discuss multiple interview dates at one meeting, so its probably pretty likely that your interview dates will be discussed at the same time anyways. Good luck!!
 
Hi, when you reapplied, was it your gpa, mcat, or ecs that changed the most? or did you not apply widely enough?

Gpa actually dropped because I left some of my more difficult pre req courses like orgo till 4th year. However my gpa was 3.80 this year regardless. Wrote the Mcat again and my score was the exact same a 507. I had gained more shadowing and research experience between my apps. I had a long-standing high level of leadership experience and also quite a diversity of experiences in general. This year I also had better reference letters, 6 in total. 3 profs who knew me very well and personally, and three people from where I volunteered including a very accomplished endocrinologist. Honestly I feel like EDP helped to give me a foot in the door for the interview. I’m a Canadian app so I feel like that hindered me last year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Complete 8/13 with silence...getting annoyed that most schools seem to do this. At least others send update emails like, "we haven't gotten to you yet, hang in there." Any type of communication would be nice
Submitted all my schools in July and haven't heard anything from many of them. To be honest, I can live without the jump scare from a "hang in there" email!
 
I was complete here in late July but received my 2nd MCAT score 9/4 (499-->511). I have a cGPA of 3.79 and a sGPA of 3.75. Do you guys think I have a chance with my late MCAT?
Why not try it out? Lol you seem great but remember they like those who help the underserved.
 
Hey! Has anyone ever gotten in with a DIY post bacc? Everyone seems to talk about SMP ya know like from U of M and Wayne State's BMS program.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Gpa actually dropped because I left some of my more difficult pre req courses like orgo till 4th year. However my gpa was 3.80 this year regardless. Wrote the Mcat again and my score was the exact same a 507. I had gained more shadowing and research experience between my apps. I had a long-standing high level of leadership experience and also quite a diversity of experiences in general. This year I also had better reference letters, 6 in total. 3 profs who knew me very well and personally, and three people from where I volunteered including a very accomplished endocrinologist. Honestly I feel like EDP helped to give me a foot in the door for the interview. I’m a Canadian app so I feel like that hindered me last year.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I just had one last question. Did you get accepted before Oct 1st from EDP or did you get accepted with the regular applicants?
 
Hey! Has anyone ever gotten in with a DIY post bacc? Everyone seems to talk about SMP ya know like from U of M and Wayne State's BMS program.
I did a DIY postbac with a pretty atrocious undergrad GPA and was admitted. I used the extra time to beef up my EC's, though. I did above their 20 credit suggestion and my interviewer assured me that I had made up for my undergrad GPA! Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When navigating a match list and seeing students get placed into a "transitional" or "preliminary" year without a PGY-2 placement, does this mean these students failed to match/had to scramble to SOAP? Want to make sure I'm understanding correctly because if so, the most recent match list here has quite a bit of these and it is concerning.
 
When navigating a match list and seeing students get placed into a "transitional" or "preliminary" year without a PGY-2 placement, does this mean these students failed to match/had to scramble to SOAP? Want to make sure I'm understanding correctly because if so, the most recent match list here has quite a bit of these and it is concerning.
Hope this answers your question

some residency programs require you do one year of a "basic" residency program in PGY1 before starting the "specialized" residency in PGY2, I just read through the 2019 match results and saw what you were talking about. Unfortunately, that just means one more year of "school" before you get to start work, so if that's not for you then go for a different specialty. 98% of students at WSU match, so in a class of 300 only 6 people will not match. These people typically didn't send enough applications out, had disciplinary problems, failed exams, poor STEP scores, etc.
 
Last edited: