2019-2020 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes , I think you do just email them since it’s not in the applicant portal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
just withdrew. hang in there guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Hi guys, not sure if anyone has already asked this, but I would really appreciate if someone can let me know if the 5 day to respond to offer is talking about the CTE on AMCAS or just agreeing on portal? Thanks so much!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, not sure if anyone has already asked this, but I would really appreciate if someone can let me know if the 5 day to respond to offer is talking about the CTE on AMCAS or just agreeing on portal? Thanks so much!
I was told the 5 was for the portal and the CTE date was June 24th. But I also found the instructions vague.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptance!!! I am not sure if you have already seen this, but this might be helpful. It doesn't specifically answer your question about the portal, but it says that Wayne State requires CTE on AMCAS on June 24th. My understanding is that you may select PTE at this time and still remain on other waitlists. However, Wayne emailed us on April 30th stating that they do not require students to select PTE at this time. The document just says that it is "strongly encouraged."

Attachments

• wsusom_admissions_standards-expectations-admitted_students.pdf
    631 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: 1 users
Are there any other requirements for accepted students for matriculation besides prereqs and transcripts? Also has anybody looked at housing options in the area?

Are there any other requirements for accepted students for matriculation besides prereqs and transcripts? Also has anybody looked at housing options in the area?
You can search "Wayne State University School of Medicine - Class of 2024" on Facebook and request to join, and the admins will verify you! The page has some more info about housing and how to join the GroupMe. Also, after you do the financial transition survey on your portal, they should be reaching out to you soon to give you more info about finances and other paperwork.

You can search "Wayne State University School of Medicine - Class of 2024" on Facebook and request to join, and the admins will verify you! The page has some more info about housing and how to join the GroupMe. Also, after you do the financial transition survey on your portal, they should be reaching out to you soon to give you more info about finances and other paperwork.
Thanks for the info!

For accepted students, is anyone looking into staying at the union in Midtown apartments? I tried contacting them but now they are only offering virtual tours and I want to know more information on the area, etc.. Thanks!

Reactions: 4 users
I’m just curious: are any of the accepted folks who have withdrawn fellow non-traditional applicants? I know other medical schools pull folks off the wait list by replacing a withdrawn applicant with someone similar to them, to keep their balance intact.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a reminder that, if my memory serves correctly, even with the tuition increase Wayne State is still the second most affordable of all 7 medical schools in Michigan. And it’s the second oldest by like 100 years!
According to U.S. News, Wayne is one of the most expensive public medical schools for out-of-state students.

Just a side question, did anyone else fill out the interview survey?

According to U.S. News, Wayne is one of the most expensive public medical schools for out-of-state students.

Yes, you're right on that. I was thinking in-state only, I have only ever lived in Michigan so I've never researched OOS tuition rates for any of the Michigan schools. :/

For accepted students, is anyone looking into staying at the union in Midtown apartments? I tried contacting them but now they are only offering virtual tours and I want to know more information on the area, etc.. Thanks!
That’s a long walk

I was just accepted at 10:00AM PST via email. Out of state student, no connections to Michigan. I will be withdrawing this afternoon. Good luck, everyone!

Reactions: 10 users
My first post, accepted off of the waitlist this afternoon! LM 73, IS interviewed early September, waitlisted in October, LOI early April

Just got off of the waitlist. Interviewed in August. LM 69 OOS

Accepted off the waitlist a few days ago will be withdrawing acceptance

Reactions: 11 users
That’s a long walk
Would you be able to provide some more information on feasible walking distance choices near the school? I saw from google map that the union is about 15 minutes walk from the med school, not sure if this is accurate? Thanks!!!

Would you be able to provide some more information on feasible walking distance choices near the school? I saw from google map that the union is about 15 minutes walk from the med school, not sure if this is accurate? Thanks!!!

That is correct, depending on how fast you walk it will take 15-20 minutes to get from The Union to the main med school building. Personally, I don’t find it a bad walk, but I am used to walking in snow and other not so great weather. It’s less than a mile, try to gauge against other things you’re familiar with, because everybody has different preferences so what might feel like a long walk for some seems like a short walk for others.

That is correct, depending on how fast you walk it will take 15-20 minutes to get from The Union to the main med school building. Personally, I don’t find it a bad walk, but I am used to walking in snow and other not so great weather. It’s less than a mile, try to gauge against other things you’re familiar with, because everybody has different preferences so what might feel like a long walk for some seems like a short walk for others.
Great thank you so much!

Isn’t the union more near main campus though ? It’s across old main right ? I knew a resident that resided there once. If you’re walking , that might only get a bit bothersome in the winter as winters are rough and wind tunnels are horrible lool , but otherwise the walk should be okay (it is a bit of a walk though)

Isn’t the union more near main campus though ? It’s across old main right ? I knew a resident that resided there once. If you’re walking , that might only get a bit bothersome in the winter as winters are rough and wind tunnels are horrible lool , but otherwise the walk should be okay (it is a bit of a walk though)

Yeah from my research the walk is not the best but feasible. Still trying to decide between this one and another one thats a little closer but unfurnished.

Yeah from my research the walk is not the best but feasible. Still trying to decide between this one and another one thats a little closer but unfurnished.
Thank you Medsci for clarifying, but yeah it’ll be hard to walk during the winters. The Union is right on main campus, the only advantage is that it would be close to the campus’ gym.

Thank you Medsci for clarifying, but yeah it’ll be hard to walk during the winters. The Union is right on main campus, the only advantage is that it would be close to the campus’ gym.
Thank you so so much! Sorry for keeping this discussion going, but since we are already here, would you recommend any other place that is popular for med students then? I do value a short distance to school and overall just good experience living in the place. Not from the state so would really greatly appreciate! Thanks!!

We interviewed in august and september and were waitlisted by october 1st and i don’t think any of us have gotten off the waitlist. seems like they might have forgotten us or something.

Maybe they will look at your files soon! I interviewed in September and was accepted recently. ^^

5D3FD244-931D-40FD-8E2F-E01985650197.jpeg

adcom to the list of ED’s

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you so so much! Sorry for keeping this discussion going, but since we are already here, would you recommend any other place that is popular for med students then? I do value a short distance to school and overall just good experience living in the place. Not from the state so would really greatly appreciate! Thanks!!
We’re all free during quarantine, don’t apologize :) hmm it depends on your budget. Personally, I don’t like the union because it gives me dormitory vibes. Midtown is great but it’s heavy on the wallet, especially the places on canfield street. And the area is really nice. There are so many areas, just varies on your budget.

We’re all free during quarantine, don’t apologize :) hmm it depends on your budget. Personally, I don’t like the union because it gives me dormitory vibes. Midtown is great but it’s heavy on the wallet, especially the places on canfield street. And the area is really nice. There are so many areas, just varies on your budget.
Thanks so much really appreciate it! Yeah looking at some places on canfield street. Just wondering how safe is it when you need to walk at night from school back to the apartments? Thanks!

Thanks so much really appreciate it! Yeah looking at some places on canfield street. Just wondering how safe is it when you need to walk at night from school back to the apartments? Thanks!

Hmm not sure specifically about Canfield apartments, but it’s pretty close to Wayne med ! Down the street if I remember correctly . Nonetheless, you should always keep your eye out in Detroit and not have your phone or be distracted when walking. If you do that, you’re usually fine. Wayne state police are amazing though :) and you can call them if you need them to drive behind you if you stay late to study and need to walk to your car or nearby at night . I would get a bike if you’re a bit farther away and bike lock that way it’s quicker to get by

You will most likely be spending nights at the library. Always be aware of your surroundings. WSU’s police is usually always around. Detroit is now becoming more gentrified, and with that crime rates have been decreasing. Nonetheless, you should always be aware of your surroundings and trust your gut! I have a couple of friends that are current med students and a lot of them always car pool. So don’t be shy, ask for rides. Wayne is a lovely community and everyone is just so nice.

Reactions: 4 users
for those who have been waitlisted and are EDP, how did you feel your interview went and what are some of your stats if you don't mind?

I lived right in Midtown for 3 years and I can say it is probably the safest neighborhood of Detroit. You have Detroit Police, Wayne State Police and even DMC has its own sworn-in Police team with SUVs and everything. You need to keep your smarts around you just like any other city, and you’ll want to avoid unlit alleys or suspicious circumstances, but midtown is a fantastic place to live, especially for students and young professionals.

Reactions: 2 users
I lived right in Midtown for 3 years and I can say it is probably the safest neighborhood of Detroit. You have Detroit Police, Wayne State Police and even DMC has its own sworn-in Police team with SUVs and everything. You need to keep your smarts around you just like any other city, and you’ll want to avoid unlit alleys or suspicious circumstances, but midtown is a fantastic place to live, especially for students and young professionals.
Thank you that was really reassuring!

I have to add to my earlier post... Midtown has also been getting expensive as was mentioned above. Rent has been increasing and you don’t get very much apartment for your money. But in my opinion, a small apartment in midtown is better than a larger apartment in a neighborhood further away. Not just safety, but midtown is such a vibrant and colorful area. Just my two cents.

I have to add to my earlier post... Midtown has also been getting expensive as was mentioned above. Rent has been increasing and you don’t get very much apartment for your money. But in my opinion, a small apartment in midtown is better than a larger apartment in a neighborhood further away. Not just safety, but midtown is such a vibrant and colorful area. Just my two cents.
Thank you for the info! Truly helpful and I am pretty set on finding a place in midtown. I don’t have a car and kind of just want everything to be within walking distance, so it would be a good fit. Thanks again!

Just got in off the waitlist! Wrote a LOI last tuesday so it seems to have worked my LM score is 73 and im OOP! I’m waiting on one more waitlist offer next week in Ontario before deciding!!

Reactions: 5 users
Just got in off the waitlist! Wrote a LOI last tuesday so it seems to have worked my LM score is 73 and im OOP! I’m waiting on one more waitlist offer next week in Ontario before deciding!!
Congrats! When did you interview?