2020-2021 Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there any way to communicate with them? it seems they do not want updates, interest, etc. have a connection that I did not include on my app

Members don't see this ad.

Got an interview invite today. For anyone that has interviewed, how do you recommend preparing?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OH okay. cool.. yea it worked for me.

Hey all, interviewing on wednesday, is there specific software I need to download?

Like will the links bring me to a browser window where I will do the interviews? I looked up webex and it's cisco's video conferencing software, do I need to download it?

Hey all, interviewing on wednesday, is there specific software I need to download?

Like will the links bring me to a browser window where I will do the interviews? I looked up webex and it's cisco's video conferencing software, do I need to download it?

I downloaded the software and ended up not even needing it. Just use the hyperlinks within the interview schedule that they sent you and you will be fine, as they come up in the browser.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed here this week, and just saw that they do not accept ”updates or letters of intent.” Do you guys think that counts for “thank you“ emails as well?

No. I think you should sent the thank you email, but be careful not to make it sound like an update or letter of intent email.

Congratulations . How was it? I just received an II

Reactions: 1 users
is it too late to submit a secondary here? esp. if you received it a month ago? i see they've given out a good number of interviews so don't want to waste $120 if it's too late to even be considered, but will if I still have a chance.

In my opinion go ahead and apply (of note, I had FAP, so secondary was Free). I submitted my application second week of September and got an II today.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. I think you should sent the thank you email, but be careful not to make it sound like an update or letter of intent email.

Congratulations . How was it? I just received an II
Congrats as well! It was low stress for me, kind of conversational, and overall a really great overall experience, I really like this school and everyone I met was SUPER nice. I also highly recommend going to the student panel thing, it’s really great and informative.

Reactions: 4 users
II today! OOS, complete 8/3, LM 69

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats as well! It was low stress for me, kind of conversational, and overall a really great overall experience, I really like this school and everyone I met was SUPER nice. I also highly recommend going to the student panel thing, it’s really great and informative.

+1 The interviewers were great and all asked great questions, the whole vibe of the school seems very friendly. If I get in I’m going in a heartbeat

Interview invite today! complete first week of august. They sent me an email. Its my first :)

Reactions: 8 users
On the portal under application status, does anyone know what the "last received" date signifies for letters? I submitted my application 8/10 and finalized on 8/12, but noticed that next to the letters it says "last received" as 9/8

On the portal under application status, does anyone know what the "last received" date signifies for letters? I submitted my application 8/10 and finalized on 8/12, but noticed that next to the letters it says "last received" as 9/8
Hey there. I’ve had same problem with few other schools as well (along with Albany). Then I realize, if you add additional schools and submitted the primary application, the letter will automatically send and get updated to the previous schools you applied to (like Albany for example). So I don’t think it will delay your application or anything. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Hope this helps.
Edit: did you add any other schools on 9/8 and resubmitted the primary via AAMC?

Hey there. I’ve had same problem with few other schools as well (along with Albany). Then I realize, if you add additional schools and submitted the primary application, the letter will automatically send and get updated to the previous schools you applied to (like Albany for example). So I don’t think it will delay your application or anything. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Hope this helps.
Edit: did you add any other schools on 9/8 and resubmitted the primary via AAMC?

AHHH you're smart. yup I got my riverside secondary that day. THANK YOU !!! I was like omg what

love the reassurance from people who have interviewed....but is anyone still bugging about an MMI interview or is it just me:///

I've never done an MMI before and I thought it went fine, don't worry at all!
What do you recommend to do for the interview? I’ve been educating myself on some bioethics topics that I have limited knowledge about and of course reviewing details of the program

Did anyone receive a "complete" email? I "finalized" my secondary about a week ago (after waiting for two days while my secondary was pending), but my laptop glitched when I "finalized" my application. I called the school twice (using option 2 instead of 4 when I called), and no one answered.

My secondary portal (thankfully) does say "Application complete and ready for review by our Admissions Committee," however, I just wanted to ask if this acts as a confirmation since I never received the pop up message asking me to confirm anything or a "complete" email.
As far as I am aware, there is no complete email. If your finalize button is grey, then you should be fine

Is the interview all scenario-based or are there personal standard interview questions at the MMI stations?

would it be too late to submit a secondary here?? just realized i never got to it and im kicking myself in the foot
I'm gonna try! I should have mine submitted by tomorrow or so. No harm in trying:)

Once your application was submitted, how long did it take for your application to go from pending to yes, indicating that it is complete? like before you can click finalize? I submitted mine 3 days ago and it is still pending.

Verified last week but still haven’t received my secondary. I tried emailing them but no one responded. Anyone in the same boat or know what I should do?

Verified last week but still haven’t received my secondary. I tried emailing them but no one responded. Anyone in the same boat or know what I should do?

I was verified a couple of weeks ago and haven’t gotten a secondary. I think it takes a bit. Oh well.

Once your application was submitted, how long did it take for your application to go from pending to yes, indicating that it is complete? like before you can click finalize? I submitted mine 3 days ago and it is still pending.
Mine took a little less than 2 full days. I'd give it another day or so. If you want, you can call them but when I called no one answered. Hopefully you have better luck than me!

idk if anyone here could give any insight on this; I saw people are using variations of their adversity essay for the "one thing" prompt. I was actually a patient at albany med when I was a kid and that experience was the direct catalyst for my interest in medicine. I mention it briefly in my PS but do you think that is an appropriate "one thing" for the admissions committee? basically mentioning personal significance and location... it feels more like a "why Albany" instead of "why me" so I am curious for feedback.

Last edited:
idk if anyone here could give any insight on this; I saw people are using variations of their adversity essay for the "one thing" prompt. I was actually a patient at albany med when I was a kid and that experience was the direct catalyst for my interest in medicine. I mention it briefly in my PS but do you think that is an appropriate "one thing" for the admissions committee? basically mentioning personal significance and location... it feels more like a "why Albany" instead of "why me" so I am curious for feedback.

i'm not sure what you mean by the "one thing" thing lol but can you clarify which prompt you're trying to answer? If that experience was your introduction to albany med you could mention it but more as like a stepping stone to answer the specific prompt

i'm not sure what you mean by the "one thing" thing lol but can you clarify which prompt you're trying to answer? If that experience was your introduction to albany med you could mention it but more as like a stepping stone to answer the specific prompt
sorry, the "tell us one thing about yourself that would help the admissions committee determine if you should be admitted..."

sorry, the "tell us one thing about yourself that would help the admissions committee determine if you should be admitted..."

ooh right sorry i did this secondary a while ago, I think you can mention that you were a patient at albany med and it inspired you to pursue medicine but keep it to like 1-2 sentences max because this wouldn't answer why they should pick YOU over the other applicants. Try to write about what you can bring to the school, but don't repeat your AMCAS application, tell them something new that they don't know about you yet! Personally, I used my diversity essay because I was having a lot of trouble with it too and ultimately decided that was the best way for me to answer the question without repeating myself from AMCAS

Wait, I thought this question is for when our attendance at the undergraduate or graduate university was disrupted and then resumed later? When we are gap year, we are not in school..... Can someone please let me know if my interpretation is wrong lol?
I also talked about my gap year. That’s how I interpreted it
I did not include my gap year as a disruption. I thought it was more about extended gaps within undergrad or grad schools (especially due to COVID). The question definitely could have been clearer...
The question asks about gaps in activity or employment, so unless your gap year plans are like to travel I dont think you have to say anything. I have a gap year, but I am employed, so I think it'd be weird me to explain my employment in a question asking about gaps in employment. no?

II! Complete like 8/24 or something idk when exactly, but I COMPLETELY forgot to press the finalize button for 2 weeks so hopefully that gives people hope about that!

OOS, ORM, 3.77 cGPA, 3.88 sGPA, 512 if anyone wants to know

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Anyone else having a delay with Albany receiving their Mcat scores? How long does it usually take to have them acknowledge the score before you were able to finalize the application??

Thank you!

My secondary has been “pending” for like 4-5 days now even though letters of rec, MCAT, and everything else is marked as “yes” for received. Anyone else have this issue?

are people anticipating hearing anything from albany as of Oct 15? I think my interview group was told mid November, but was curious

My group was told we’d likely hear something early to mid November, but that they were hoping to have some decisions for earlier groups go out 10/15. I’m interested to see how quickly they move through everyone!

It seems like they have a very antiquated system to be honest. Maybe an actual person is reviewing the application status?

loading for the secondary app to be checked
Sorry for the confusion- I think I responded to the wrong post. Yes, it seems like they take much longer than other schools to receive everything. Not sure if anyone else has had a similar experience.