2020-2021 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got rejected today too because one of my MCAT sections was in the 39th percentile and they generally require 40th in each section. It’s disheartening to already have been rejected so early in the cycle. Hopefully another school will work out better for us!

I'm sorry to hear this. All of you! But, keep at it and don't lose hope. It's still early in the application cycle. There are plenty of great schools out there to apply to. The very best of luck to everyone!

Did anyone here attend Campbell for their undergrad? Also, what clinical experiences has everyone had?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got this email this week:
Dear Kevin:

We thank you for taking the time to submit your primary application to Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine. Your AACOMAS application shows that you are in the process of completing additional coursework. Our Admissions Committee conducted an initial review of your application and has determined they would prefer to wait to make a decision regarding your candidacy until they have the opportunity to review your grades from your current pending coursework. Therefore, your application has been placed on hold until we receive record of your grades.

Once you complete this pending coursework, please send an official transcript to AACOM and please refer to the Updating the Application/Academic Updates section of the online AACOMAS application instructions. Once we receive your revised AACOMAS, our committee will reevaluate your application and we will follow-up with you regarding your status.

If we can be of assistance to you in the interim, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected].

Sincerely,
CUSOM

The grades they're waiting for is a B+ from toxicology and an A from Molecular Virology, all from a SMP. GPAs except gradGPA are near 3.0. Am I screwed? lol

I got this email this week:

The grades they're waiting for is a B+ from toxicology and an A from Molecular Virology, all from a SMP. GPAs except gradGPA are near 3.0. Am I screwed? lol
I wouldn't think of it that way. They are still giving your candidacy consideration and must have seen something in your application that they liked. Otherwise, you would have received a rejection letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone's secondary invite link not letting them log in? It previously allowed me access to the application so I saved some info but was going to submit it today but it will not allow me to log in.

I wouldn't think of it that way. They are still giving your candidacy consideration and must have seen something in your application that they liked. Otherwise, you would have received a rejection letter.
Thank you. I need to stop being so neurotic this early into the cycle lol

For the essay question on the secondary that asks :

Have you submitted an application to another medical school within the last two years? If so, to what medical school(s) did you apply, and what improvements have you made to your application? Have you ever applied to CUSOM?

Does this include other applications which have been submitted this current cycle? I kind of assume not, but if I'm a first time applicant should I just say that this is my first time applying and leave it at that? Or are people including what other schools they're currently applying to?

For the essay question on the secondary that asks :

Have you submitted an application to another medical school within the last two years? If so, to what medical school(s) did you apply, and what improvements have you made to your application? Have you ever applied to CUSOM?

Does this include other applications which have been submitted this current cycle? I kind of assume not, but if I'm a first time applicant should I just say that this is my first time applying and leave it at that? Or are people including what other schools they're currently applying to?

Questions like this usually refer to having applied in past years and being unsuccessful or getting in and choosing to not attend.

Questions like this usually refer to having applied in past years and being unsuccessful or getting in and choosing to not attend.

Cool that's what I figured. Thanks!

For the letter of recommendation. If I submitted through AACOMAS do I just write the letter writer's information? Actually I used interfolio to send to AACOMAS. What if the physician is allopathic, it says what osteopathic school did they go to?

I've just recieved a secondary from CUSOM:

The MISSION of Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM) is to educate and prepare community–based osteopathic physicians in a Christian environment to care for the rural and underserved populations in North Carolina, the Southeastern United States, and the nation.
Briefly describe how you are a good fit for the CUSOM Mission (1200 characters)

What five qualities do you feel you bring to CUSOM that would enhance the overall climate of our school?
Please describe how you are a good fit for the CUSOM mission. (2000 characters)

Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why? (2000 characters)

Have you submitted an application to another medical school within the last two years? If so, to what medical school(s) did you apply, and what improvements have you made to your application? Have you ever applied to CUSOM? (2000 characters)
I haven't gotten a secondary here but are questions 1 and 2 asking the same thing? Besides the 5 qualities.

For the letter of recommendation. If I submitted through AACOMAS do I just write the letter writer's information? Actually I used interfolio to send to AACOMAS. What if the physician is allopathic, it says what osteopathic school did they go to?
That's what I did in the same situation, just fill out the info about the writers whose letters were already submitted through AACOMAS. I also had an allopathic doctor letter, and just put their medical school in the "osteopathic school" box. I'm sure they'll understand it's not osteopathic by the name.

I haven't gotten a secondary here but are questions 1 and 2 asking the same thing? Besides the 5 qualities.
I thought the same when I saw those questions as well. I think they might have accidentally left that first question in the second question, but my five qualities I wrote about tied into their mission a bit, just in case they wanted redundancy on the school fit.

So for the first I more focused on the mission and why I am want to serve smaller populations personal reasons I had. And the second I explained 5 qualities/skills I have

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I did in the same situation, just fill out the info about the writers whose letters were already submitted through AACOMAS. I also had an allopathic doctor letter, and just put their medical school in the "osteopathic school" box. I'm sure they'll understand it's not osteopathic by the name.
I did the same I hope that is what I want

I thought the same when I saw those questions as well. I think they might have accidentally left that first question in the second question, but my five qualities I wrote about tied into their mission a bit, just in case they wanted redundancy on the school fit.
Yeah I agree. They're way too similar to be intentionally added.

Secondary received and submitted 7/15

I just got an email asking for proof of citizenship - anyone else get this?

Has anyone had their application placed on a temporary hold for a minor application inputting error, to which you fixed? Have you since heard back from admissions, or been sent a secondary?

Secondary received 7/17, AACOMAS primary submitted 6/24

ugg lucky. I am still waiting on mine. Does this school pre-screen hard?
Great question. The email I received said they are being accommodating for applicants that have had disruptions in any part of their application, but all of the materials will be needed before an acceptance.

What should I do if my physician letters and professor letters are in a combined letter packet in AACOMAS?

I know it’s different for everybody but looking for a ballpark. How long did it take for your secondary to come once you submitted or received the “thanks for submitting email”?

I know it’s different for everybody but looking for a ballpark. How long did it take for your secondary to come once you submitted or received the “thanks for submitting email”?
I received the "thanks for submitting email" on 6/17, and received the secondary a week later on 6/23 (I also don't even have my MCAT scores yet), sent in the secondary later that day (6/23), got an email on 6/24 saying they received it and will start to verify everything has been received, and then received another email on 6/25 saying that my file is complete and ready for final review. Haven't heard anything since! Hope this helps :)

I can't find any information on their website about the cut offs, did anyone below the cutoff receive a secondary?

I can't find any information on their website about the cut offs, did anyone below the cutoff receive a secondary?
I read on the thread last year that if any of your sections of the MCAT are <50%, they won't send one. Not sure if that is applicable this year though!

I've attended several of their virtual sessions that they've offered for this cycle and their cutoffs for secondaries are a 3.2 cuGPA and science GPA, and all MCAT sections must be higher than 40% for each section, 50% overall.

I've attended several of their virtual sessions that they've offered for this cycle and their cutoffs for secondaries are a 3.2 cuGPA and science GPA, and all MCAT sections must be higher than 40% for each section, 50% overall.

I wish I knew this before applying because I have one section in the 39th percentile so I'll probably get screened out :confused:

I received a "file complete" email this morning. Excited to see what's next. They said interviews will begin in August.

Reactions: 3 users
Do I have a shot of being accepted if I am from Utah with no affiliations?

I received a "file complete" email this morning. Excited to see what's next. They said interviews will begin in August.
I received this on July 7th, bit late but lol.

I wish I knew this before applying because I have one section in the 39th percentile so I'll probably get screened out :confused:
Not sure if they are being accommodating this cycle, but I have a 35% in one section and received a secondary, if that helps you!

My cumulative uGPA is 3.17 (post-bacc GPA is >3.6), science GPA is decently above the cut-off, and am currently waiting for my MCAT results and I got rejected today

My cumulative uGPA is 3.17 (post-bacc GPA is >3.6), science GPA is decently above the cut-off, and am currently waiting for my MCAT results and I got rejected today

That's weird bc I am going to take my mcat this saturday, but received a secondary. (similar to your stats) secondary submitted 7/28

I also received an email this morning saying my app is complete with this "

We would like to inform you that your file is now complete and ready for final review with the Admissions Committee. After the committee has reviewed your secondary application and supplemental materials, we will follow up with you regarding any change with your application status.

Please understand that the application process is very competitive. The Admissions Committee will notify you within the application cycle when they would like to extend an offer for an interview. Our interview cycle generally begins in August, but is subject to change. There may be a delay in this step of the application process.

As you may be aware, Campbell University has made accommodations for applicants who have experienced interruptions in their application components. CUSOM is extending invitations to move forward in the admissions process without having a Physician Letter of Recommendation, MCAT scores, official transcripts, and without all lab credits complete. All of these components will need to be complete before an offer of acceptance can be extended."

That's weird bc I am going to take my mcat this saturday, but received a secondary. (similar to your stats) secondary submitted 7/28

I also received an email this morning saying my app is complete with this "

We would like to inform you that your file is now complete and ready for final review with the Admissions Committee. After the committee has reviewed your secondary application and supplemental materials, we will follow up with you regarding any change with your application status.

Please understand that the application process is very competitive. The Admissions Committee will notify you within the application cycle when they would like to extend an offer for an interview. Our interview cycle generally begins in August, but is subject to change. There may be a delay in this step of the application process.

As you may be aware, Campbell University has made accommodations for applicants who have experienced interruptions in their application components. CUSOM is extending invitations to move forward in the admissions process without having a Physician Letter of Recommendation, MCAT scores, official transcripts, and without all lab credits complete. All of these components will need to be complete before an offer of acceptance can be extended."

Oh, that is definitely strange! Yeah, I really have no idea. I had even emailed them a few months ago about my stats and they had said their 3.2 was 'firm' but would base it off my post-bacc progress or something, so I was kind of surprised to get rejected.

For the second secondary question, when it says "Please describe how you are a good fit for their mission" right after the "five qualities," can anyone confirm that they put in that "good fit for their mission" question in by accident? Since the first question asks the exact same thing

I got put on hold

• Sad
They won't give me a secondary until my grade updates get verified in the Fall. I hope I don't end up on the bottom of the review list by then.

Hey guys, current first year "enjoying" my first week of school. I can answer some questions if you guys have any!

Hey guys, current first year "enjoying" my first week of school. I can answer some questions if you guys have any!
Have you gotten a chance to explore the area? Do you like it? I love the Carolinas but have typically been on the Blue-Ridge side or coast. Is the area scenic? Things to do?

This may be a very silly question but I haven't submitted my AACOMAS yet. When I click on the campbell tab, it says that I don't have to upload any required documents then there are 3 boxes that say optional essays. Does anyone know what this is? It doesn't list a prompt or anything. Thanks!

This may be a very silly question but I haven't submitted my AACOMAS yet. When I click on the campbell tab, it says that I don't have to upload any required documents then there are 3 boxes that say optional essays. Does anyone know what this is? It doesn't list a prompt or anything. Thanks!
I believe that is for explaining disciplinary actions and etc.

Just recieved an II!! My first one of the cycle too :)

Reactions: 6 users